Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Blizzard

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
catfetus

Making large angel wings

So I am doing a World of Warcraft cosplay, this is my first costume I have ever tried to make myself (I previously designed one, made the accessories, but it required a lot of sewing so I had the bulk of it commissioned). It is basically a Valkyrie (I am making two, one black one white):
http://www.todowow.com/wp-content/up..._lightbane.jpg
http://www.todowow.com/wp-content/up...s_darkbane.jpg

Here is my sketch (I'm not much of an artist):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...att/sketch.jpg
The template is a bit off in that it is not realistic at all but I tried to keep the proportions in line (so for example the helmet wing things extend half a head's length over the head, the wings extend up to about half the head's height and then down to mid-thighs or knees).

I am probably going to begin the wings this weekend. I really want to make sure that I am using the best materials I can so that I don't end up finished feathering and it turns out they are really flimsy (it's going to take a lot of time to feather).
I was planning to follow this basic structure with the PVC pipe and corset holders:
http://www.whatishcc.com/tutorials/wingharness.php

I am 5'2", the wings are going to go from about mid-head to mid thigh, the dotted line in my sketch indicates a potential-design of what the solid part under the feathers will be like and then the feathers will extend down from there. The wings will be folded, static, and fairly close to the body to minimize torque.
My current plan is to do a PVC pipe skeleton, two pieces of PVC pipe for each wing in somewhat of an L-shape. I might change this to a triangle (adding one more piece of pipe going back to the center) depending on how stable it feels. But I am a novice and don't really know what kind of materials are available beyond the PVC pipe. I was wanting to use foam to keep them light but I'm inexperienced and don't know much about materials and adhesives (chicken wire is another option). I would imagine it would be easy to buy foam blocks, shape them like a wing, and stick them on the PVC pipe.

-After the wing "skeleton" what kind of materials could I use to create the basic shape/bulk of the main wing?
-What should I use to adhere foam to itself and also to plastic (PVC pipe)?
-Does anyone know of a good site to buy feathers? (I was just planning to use the techniques from the tutorial and attach multiple feathers together to make big ones)
-What material (and how) do I place over the solid part of the wing to attach the feathers (especially if I were to use chicken wire)?
-Additional help/suggestions.

Thanks!
catfetus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
daguru
(SebastiAn Remix)

Here ya go http://jiajem.com/wings.html

Note to self: "Napalm sticks to babies" is not a good campaign slogan
daguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
catfetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by daguru View Post
Thanks! That's definitely helpful! I didn't realize something as simple as felt+hot glue would be able to stick to chicken wire and to the feathers. I really love how the wings extend out to the sides like that (that would be hard to do with something heavier like PVC pipe). And the simplicity of the wire frame design is really great.

I still wonder about the stability of those wings though. If they got bumped by something would the wire not get bent easily? I'm also a bit iffy about the stability of that wire insertion in to the corset, but it definitely seems a lot more comfortable than the PVC pipe laced-in method.
I'm also wanting to do a larger design (which is why it wouldn't extend out as far) and I wonder if her method would end up looking too flat on a wing with much more body to it (her feathering is gorgeous and long but the body of the wing itself is relatively small).
I have never worked with it before (aside from building a dog fence), but I assume wire comes in various thicknesses? This one looks pretty thick to be able to stay up like that but I guess I could look for sturdier wire that might be able to support a foam frame on the outside of it?

I think this design is so simple though that I could probably easily (and cheaply) make them to try it out (without feathers, of course, that part will take a long time) and if it doesn't work just try something else. (So definitely keep suggesting stuff!)

Oh, another thing I hadn't mentioned, these wings are going to have to transport half way across the country. So having them as two different pieces instead of one is pretty high priority because I am going to have to mail them ahead of time (a package as huge as a one-piece wing set would be way more expensive). But with this design I can already think of a way to make them work as two pieces.

Thanks again Those wings do look amazing.
Unread 04-16-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Wooden dowels are fine. I use rather thin ones - the skeleton spars in the fabric wings I'm working on at the moment are 5/16" dowels. PVC can be heavier, but the hollow nature of it allows for different kinds of hardware to be used. With dowels, you have to create some kind of holster or bayonet setting on the harness to slide the dowels into.

I never bother with shaping, I suppose it depends on what you're looking for in a design. My feathered wings have only a layer of fabric - lightweight poplin - which the feathers are glued to. Bulk was never an issue for me. I bought feathers from Rainbow Feather Co. and they were fabulous - and it actually doesn't take that long to feather. My wings are, let's see...5 feet each? No, 6, I think. Front and back feathered (lefts and rights), and it took me a single afternoon/evening. Some friends and I speed-feathered a matching set for our masquerade performance in a few hours late one night.

Either way, if you've got a tutorial to work from, start there and branch out if it doesn't do what you want your wings to do. There's a bazillion tutorials out there - I searched, in the course of making mine.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Inoli
I Nom Swords

Put the PVC Pipe down and step away slowly!
I do like a LOT of hat HCC does... but I do not agree with their way of attaching wings to the back. removable is nice.... but wow PVC can quickly add up in weight. This isnt to say that you CANT use PVC and you might be fine if you get a small enough tube to heat into the shape you wish it to make. wood is lighter but more frail. So what to use? well I'm not an expert but I've done wings. my suggestion is to find aluminum tubing and mesh to create the base of your wings. the mesh which can be found at the Home depot ect will be light weight and you can attach the feathers onto it without any problem
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...goutlength.jpg
that is the skeleton and sketching of the wings I did for my friend's Lilith!Trinity blood. the top is aluminum the bottom.... ready for this fun fact- porch umbrella arms. I believe if you keep it stationary[which the square aluminum poles will not rotate like PVC can] can simply be bolted into the basic shape you want and then fleshed out with foam [this is what I did]
The harness.. please...do keep this in mind. It's easier to have the wings set at your lower back and strapped on over your chest and if you can shoulders [donno if your costume will allow that >.<;] with it being so low your HIPS carry the weight and NOT y our back! take it from an old woman you want to be careful of your back whenever you can [darn you schools and your 80+ book bags!]. Feathering took me forever and if it wasn't for my Friend Kat I would have been feathering for years! I apparently do not know the secret Capsule Corp knows ^^;
I got some great tips from a cosplayer here on cos.com though her youtube vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqPE8...eature=related she's amazing and some ideas were quite sound!
I second Rainbow Feathers.... http://www.rainbowfeathers.com/ I LOVE these people. you will have to trim the feathers yes as they come in all sorts of crazy but the prices are NOT bad and though the first call is a little unnerving, the people there are GREAT and really understanding.[depending you probably wont need more then a half to full pound for each wing]

Adhesives depend of material
PVC/plastics and Metal= Epoxy [you can find the right one via the packaging...be SURE to "score" and rough the aria you plan to glue!
Feathers: well... I went fast cheep and easy and hot glue *SHAME*
All other things... fabric foam to PVC? [once again rough up the PVC or what not] E 6000!!!

[use any adhesives sans hot glue in an open space with lots of air]

believe me, it looks daunting and really...it's not so bad once you have it finished =)

[/color] [/size]

Last edited by Inoli : 04-16-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Inoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
LalaFTL
Red

Yay, Catfetus made it to coscom!

Most of the wing tutorials I've found are for angel wings, how would you guys go about making 6ft bat wings? /threadjack

Someone pointed this little retarded set in another thread and I was thinking about just modifying it to my needs:
http://www.spookshop.com/Deluxe_Beas..._p/ca60438.htm

Past:
Blizzcon 2009 -- Blood elf in Lovely Black Dress (World of Warcraft)
Blizzcon 2010 -- Illidan Stormrage, post-op (WoW)
Blizzcon 2011 - Day 2 -- Female barbarian, medium armor/concept art (Diablo III)
Phoenix Comic Con 2012-2013 -- Eldon Ax (Star Wars: Fatal Alliance)
Present:
Blizzcon 2013 - Day 1 -- Elitist Nostalgia Brigade (World of Warcraft)
Blizzcon 2013 - Day 2 -- Darkmoon Rabbit (World of Warcraft)

Last edited by LalaFTL : 04-17-2010 at 01:27 PM.
LalaFTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
Mnemeth17

I agree with the above, although you may want to consider using felt for the feathers since the reference pictures looks like the flats are unrealistically huge. This person makes felt wings and they come out spectacular: http://kamakru.deviantart.com/art/Fe...hite-144036776 The materials used are just wire (try a lower gauge since your wings will be large) and stiff felt. This will probably also drastically reduce the weight instead of using PVC pipes. This person also used felt wings for a crow costume: http://www.nightlyre.com/costumes/fi.../2000nevar.htm

@ LalaFTL see this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62jhoXa4ckI Just modify the harness system if you don't want it to be so bulky but the fabric and and building types are probably what you are looking for.
Mnemeth17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
catfetus

Thanks everyone for the help! I think I am going to attempt the kind Daguru posted, I went out and bought the materials (I found pre-cut rods that are a bit short but I might go looking for longer ones later). The rod seems pretty stable, you would have to bump it pretty hard to alter its shape significantly, I think that since the wings will be so close to our bodies that the design will be fine. I will keep messing with it some more though, probably take it to the actual felt stage and I need to do some more bird wing and character model research.

About how many feathers do you need for an average pair of wings? I keep hearing about 1lb per wing but how many feathers does that turn out to be? (I assume mine will be a little more).

Edit: Thanks for the suggestion Mnemeth! Those make it even simpler really and the characters do seem to just have wings with giant feathers. I think I will do some more research in to the wing design of the characters and see if that is a viable option. I am worried about my artistic skills though I am good at engineering and building things but not so much at drawing and sculpting, so I worry that my designs would come out cheap. But that would save a ton of money on feathers. My cosplay partner is better at crafts than I am, so I might have her give it a shot.

Last edited by catfetus : 04-18-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Replying to Mnemeth
Unread 04-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

For these wings: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1893121/ I got a pound of flat and a pound of rounds. The rounds come in 1/2 lb lefts and 1/2 pound rights, if you select the correct option when ordering, which was just enough to do those wings. The total wingspan if I stretched it out would be 10-12 feet. I did multiple layers of rounds and used the flats for the upper portion of the wings. Of course, Haruka's wings are supposed to look scruffy, so I could use all the feathers untrimmed. If you want super-neat, crisp, perfect-looking feathers, you'll have to trim and might end up needing more if your batch gets a lot of crappy feathers.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
catfetus

Huh.. I'll have to do some more research then in to these rights v lefts feathers, I didn't know they came in different kinds. I guess I assume it has to do with how they curve?

I have another question I thought about last night. How thick does felt come? The only felt I am familiar with is cloth-like but it seems like the "felt wings" Mnemeth posted look more like a craft foam style material.
That being said, what kind of "felt" did the girl from Daguru's link use?
I know I have hot glued stuff to the cloth-type felt and that works pretty well. So for now I am assuming that is what she did. I haven't bought any yet but it will be pretty cheap to mess around with.
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
Mnemeth17

I have followed her work for a while and for a short time she linked to the felt she used in her crafts. I believe it's those stiff sheets of felt you find in craft stores that come in small sheets (12" x 18", sold here online at http://www.createforless.com/search/...FUtX2god9yPvUg and http://www.ssww.com/item/stiffened-eazy-felt-FA3332/) that little kids use for crafts. You might want to experiment with regular felt cloth and starch and see if it will get the same kind of stiffness, because the only way you can make truly huge flats out of felt is to cut from larger sheets (which are not pre-stiffened). You can also buy felt stiffener from places that cater to hat makers, or here: http://jhhatco.com/jh.nsf/product2!open&model=CARESTIFF
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
Mnemeth17

Also, hot glue with felt should work fine, although for durability I suggest hand-sewing the seams with matching thread just to make sure that the feathers don't fall off if the glue degrades.
Unread 05-28-2010, 12:58 AM   #13
catfetus

I tried my first "prototype" with the Jiajem method and I have no clue how she got anything to stay up with that 9-gauge wire It can't even hold the chicken wire for mine, maybe my wings are too big though.

Does anyone know where I can find a thicker wire?
I bought this rod from Home Depot that is just a steel rod, it bends like I need it to and I have a strong guy to bend it for me :P Extremely sturdy and I think would be great for me, but it only comes in a 4 ft rod. I probably need a 10ft solid piece.
Unread 05-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #14
saberslash

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfetus View Post
I tried my first "prototype" with the Jiajem method and I have no clue how she got anything to stay up with that 9-gauge wire It can't even hold the chicken wire for mine, maybe my wings are too big though.

Does anyone know where I can find a thicker wire?
I bought this rod from Home Depot that is just a steel rod, it bends like I need it to and I have a strong guy to bend it for me :P Extremely sturdy and I think would be great for me, but it only comes in a 4 ft rod. I probably need a 10ft solid piece.
When it comes to supplies like this I look at McMaster Carr as they carry just about everything; Plastic sheeting, wire, pipe, etc that one might need for constructing props.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-wire/=7aatj2 you can get a 66ft roll of 1/8th inch wire (thicker then 9 gauge but thinner then 8 gauge) for 20 bucks (plus shipping). They also have many other wire types so you might eb able to find what you are looking for.
saberslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #15
catfetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberslash View Post
When it comes to supplies like this I look at McMaster Carr as they carry just about everything; Plastic sheeting, wire, pipe, etc that one might need for constructing props.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-wire/=7aatj2 you can get a 66ft roll of 1/8th inch wire (thicker then 9 gauge but thinner then 8 gauge) for 20 bucks (plus shipping). They also have many other wire types so you might eb able to find what you are looking for.
Awesome! Thank you very much! I think I am going to shift to steel or stainless steel. But I'll probably go to the hardware store to be able to feel some in person first. The steel rod I have is about the same thickness as the aluminum and it is exponentially stronger. Since these wings are going to be right up against my back and I lift weights I'm not too concerned about weight. I think I can handle up to 10lbs all day no problem.