Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
Yo-Yo
I Love Lamp
 
Yo-Yo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 956
Durarara!! -> Celty's Helmet

Hello y'all. c:

Soo, for my accomplishments in weight loss and my current obsession with DRRR, I'm going to attempt to make Celty and actually look good in a catsuit. Yaye!

Anyway, the helmet is what really has me dying to make her. I love experimenting with new things in props and accessories, as I don't sew or style wigs (Tried it, hated it too much to stick it out), and this really has me pumped.

Here's my idea list:
- Buy a base helmet with a black visor, one as similar to Celty's as I can find, preferably bought in person.
- Make sealed craft foam raised designs for some small details on the helmet.
-Make the ears out of bondo, paperclay, or sculpey. Sand like mad.
-Paint the details (Stencil for front symbol, painter's tape for the rest of the blue/black), voila, all finished.

The problem is that I have no experience with bondo, and that's what I want to try, as I've seen some beautiful results from that. Paperclay and Sculpey wouldn't have texture close enough to the original helmet, I don't think. I want to make it look as though the helmet was actually bought that way. Since it'll be one of two parts of the costume I'm actually making and the most important part, I want it to be /perfect/.

This cosplayer has achieved what I'm looking for!
Gorgeous shot of the back.
Celty
Side view.

Thanks for putting up with my super high standards. c:
I wanna hear from you armor/prop experts! <3
__________________
B) Aw yea.
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.
 
Flora88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,462
Well...I took an existing helmet apart, then used Sculpey and paperclay to make the ears, then sanded, then painted, then lacquered. I wanted to go with Bondo originally, but I don't have a mask to sand with. Apparently Bondo can be pretty toxic during the sanding phase.

Here are my results.

I prefer a more rounded look, personally, but sculpey and paperclay, if sanded correctly can have a totally smooth finish, no matter how hard you want the lines to be.
The lacquering really makes all the difference, though.

Though our methods are pretty identical, don't, of course, feel confined to any one method.


A word of warning, though. If you use these substances, or Bondo or whatever, it will make your helmet weigh anywhere from seven to nine pounds. Bleh. But it's seven to nine pounds of pure fun.
__________________
Lady Kurenai

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars

Last edited by Flora88 : 04-19-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman
 
Ani_BEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,271
Somthing to consider when using a oven bake clay is to make tha base structure out of tin foil them cover it in a layer of the clay. It cuts the weight and the cost.

Paper clay is great for sanding and you can us it on top of cardboard as well if you want. cardboard is good for geometric shapes and you can build up the rounded parts with paperclay.

I don't have the build to wear a cat suit but I would love to make her helmet as well.


I don't have good photo's of this (kicking myself for that) but my friends cross gun Holsters for her Jo cosplay was just cardboard and drywall mud sanded down and the corners smoothed out with sanding.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/869856/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/869829/

It was très durable.
__________________


FanEXPO
Regina ~ Once Upon a Time(Fri)
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)


Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride


For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 04-20-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.
 
Flora88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,462
The only real problem I came across with using a motorcycle helmet as a base is that it throws off the "head-to-body" ratio. The motorcycle helmet will make your head look HUGE, even if it's specifically sized for you, like mine is.
I mean, that's how motorcycle helmets are supposed to fit.
But if you look at the anime, the helmet is only a tiny bit larger than her actual head would be. The helmet she wears is much smaller than an adult helmet would be. Almost child-sized (which is about the head-size of an adult.)
Thus, I took mine apart and put it back together to resize it a bit. It's still big, but not quite as huge. It was very labor-intensive, though. Bleh.
You might be able to get away with getting a child-sized helmet and ripping the foam out of it, but that would make the chin-strap even more important.
__________________
Lady Kurenai

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman
 
Ani_BEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,271
You could also cut down the original padding and glue it back in for a cousin. It won't be street legal though.
__________________


FanEXPO
Regina ~ Once Upon a Time(Fri)
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)


Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride


For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 04-20-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Yo-Yo
I Love Lamp
 
Yo-Yo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 956
Whoa. ;O That's something I didn't even think of. Taking it apart sounds risky, but if it's for the best results, I'd go for it. Any tips on that?

I'll probably try to find a child one and thin out the padding a whole lot. Street legal doesn't matter so much to me so long as it looks good for cons, lol.

I agree with the fact that the ears on the cosplay reference were very rectangular, I only noticed after you mentioned that. I'll be going for more screen accuracy, rounded and blending in with the rest of he helmet. ;]

How do I make the texture match the helmet's, though? How do I make it look shiny like that and blend so well? That's my biggest concern, I think. Tell me more about lacquering! That sounds like what I'm most worried about.

The tin foil was an excellent idea. c: <3 I don't mind the weight, really, but that would be much more convenient. Would model magic be a bad route? It's very rounded, but I'm sure I can make some harsher edges for the front of the ears. Paperclay sounds like the best route, though, as bondo is really intimidating me.

Bondo vs. Paperclay? With lacquering, what would the difference be in the final product?

&Flora, your Celty is phenomenal! I can't wait to see the finished product! <3
It won't be too long before I'm starting another thread for her scythe, lol. I found a tutorial, but I'm debating the best methods to make the strange shapes sort of like this. Of course, in reality, that would look rather silly to make 3D, but those extra touches would be fun.. I'm going to do the rub n' buff stuff, though! XD
__________________
B) Aw yea.
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.
 
Flora88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
Whoa. ;O That's something I didn't even think of. Taking it apart sounds risky, but if it's for the best results, I'd go for it. Any tips on that?

I'll probably try to find a child one and thin out the padding a whole lot. Street legal doesn't matter so much to me so long as it looks good for cons, lol.

I agree with the fact that the ears on the cosplay reference were very rectangular, I only noticed after you mentioned that. I'll be going for more screen accuracy, rounded and blending in with the rest of he helmet. ;]

How do I make the texture match the helmet's, though? How do I make it look shiny like that and blend so well? That's my biggest concern, I think. Tell me more about lacquering! That sounds like what I'm most worried about.

The tin foil was an excellent idea. c: <3 I don't mind the weight, really, but that would be much more convenient. Would model magic be a bad route? It's very rounded, but I'm sure I can make some harsher edges for the front of the ears. Paperclay sounds like the best route, though, as bondo is really intimidating me.

Bondo vs. Paperclay? With lacquering, what would the difference be in the final product?

&Flora, your Celty is phenomenal! I can't wait to see the finished product! <3
It won't be too long before I'm starting another thread for her scythe, lol. I found a tutorial, but I'm debating the best methods to make the strange shapes sort of like this. Of course, in reality, that would look rather silly to make 3D, but those extra touches would be fun.. I'm going to do the rub n' buff stuff, though! XD
If you're going for a child-sized helmet, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT order one off the internet. It'd be best for you to actually find a motorcycle shop and at least size the thing there, then you can order the same sized product from Ebay for much cheaper.

As far as matching the texture to the helmet, your best bet is to spend hours, and I mean HOURS with a sanding sponge, going over your Bondo or paperclay, or whatever you intend to use. They end up with the same finish if you sand them correctly, so either would be fine. I was hesitant about using a mechanical sander on mine. I like the control of using my own hands. But that would definitely be a quicker approach.
As far as lacquering goes, I just used a spray on, gloss acrylic sealer that I had on hand, and it worked well. You could also use a brush-on laquer, which would make it, like, super-shiny. It might be more expensive, though. Model Magic and Sculpey are pretty similar products, really, though I prefer the latter.
Bondo vs. paperclay. Hmm. Well, Bondo will look more like plastic because...well...that's essentially what it is. Paperclay works fine, too. It just has a tendency to crack every now and then. And it takes forever to dry. Just be REAL gentle with your helmet before you lacquer it.

As far as the scythe goes, I'm in the process of finishing mine up. I also went with the "weird-shapes" thing. But, in order to keep it light and manageable (it's eight feet tall...I don't want it to be, like, sixty pounds or anything) I made it of a very light wood, which I buzz-sawed into the right shape. It's very much like the little crooked part just below the blade in the fan art. From there, I reinforced mine with duct tape, masking tape, papier mache, and I'm about to paperclay and sand the blade so it'll be smooth. From there, I'll paint it black with acrylic paint or spray paint, then I'll go over it with a ton of rub n' buff. The trick, though, is keeping it light. You may want to use some fun-foam or wonderflex or something to make...I dunno...almost armor for the other odd shapes.

I've never made a scythe before, but it's turning out pretty well. I should have pics up later this week so, at the very least, you can learn from my mistakes. Lol!

Oh, and thank you very much for the compliment. *blush*
__________________
Lady Kurenai

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #8
Yo-Yo
I Love Lamp
 
Yo-Yo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 956
I'm taking notes over here. =u= The brush on lacquer over sculpey sounds like the route I'm going to be taking if the intimidation of using something I know nothing about gets to me, along with an ungodly supply of sanding sponges. I want zero lumps, srsly. I'm verrry picky with my cosplays, and it's really paid off so far.

Actually, now that I back-track, I used paperclay to make my Waka headdress from Okami, and that damned thing cracked like crazy. No paperclay, I'm going sculpey or model magic with a tin foil core. <3 Bondo is very tempting, too... I just fear not having the shape I want within the alloted time, the price, the sanding.. I want to know more about it. Where do you get it? I'm really on square one with that stuff.

As for the scythe, I live in a condo, so I really don't have any way to make it from wood. >u<; Along with no money for buzzsaws or anything. I'll likely get two PVC pipes and use a heat gun to bend it as I please and take it apart for transportation&storage. The part where it connects may look a little bad, but the convenience makes up for it, I think. To change the dimensions of the pipe, too, I might add some model magic to thicken some parts up and stuff, then finish it off with paper mache, then a few coats of wood glue. Does that sound like it'd work? ;O
As for the blade itself, I'll be using the method i the scythe tutorial, shaping it from insulation foam and MORE sand sponges.

I wish I could enter a contest with this, but alas, the catsuit itself will be bought and I don't think I can enter for props alone. Lmao.
__________________
B) Aw yea.
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.
 
Flora88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
I'm taking notes over here. =u= The brush on lacquer over sculpey sounds like the route I'm going to be taking if the intimidation of using something I know nothing about gets to me, along with an ungodly supply of sanding sponges. I want zero lumps, srsly. I'm verrry picky with my cosplays, and it's really paid off so far.

Actually, now that I back-track, I used paperclay to make my Waka headdress from Okami, and that damned thing cracked like crazy. No paperclay, I'm going sculpey or model magic with a tin foil core. <3 Bondo is very tempting, too... I just fear not having the shape I want within the alloted time, the price, the sanding.. I want to know more about it. Where do you get it? I'm really on square one with that stuff.

As for the scythe, I live in a condo, so I really don't have any way to make it from wood. >u<; Along with no money for buzzsaws or anything. I'll likely get two PVC pipes and use a heat gun to bend it as I please and take it apart for transportation&storage. The part where it connects may look a little bad, but the convenience makes up for it, I think. To change the dimensions of the pipe, too, I might add some model magic to thicken some parts up and stuff, then finish it off with paper mache, then a few coats of wood glue. Does that sound like it'd work? ;O
As for the blade itself, I'll be using the method i the scythe tutorial, shaping it from insulation foam and MORE sand sponges.
As far as Bondo goes, you can order it online or you can get it from most tool shops. Lowe's might have it, for instance. It's easy to use and to sand, apparently. I've not used it before, but I know it's more expensive than paperclay. It's also better to use a mechanical sander on it, rather than your hands. You'll also need to buy a mask, because Bondo, when sanded, is toxic.
Your ideas for scythe-making sound pretty good, though! Can't wait to see how it turns out, with all the cool twists and shapes you're planning!
__________________
Lady Kurenai

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
oddish_11
Registered User
 
oddish_11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora88 View Post
The only real problem I came across with using a motorcycle helmet as a base is that it throws off the "head-to-body" ratio. The motorcycle helmet will make your head look HUGE, even if it's specifically sized for you, like mine is.
I mean, that's how motorcycle helmets are supposed to fit.
But if you look at the anime, the helmet is only a tiny bit larger than her actual head would be. The helmet she wears is much smaller than an adult helmet would be. Almost child-sized (which is about the head-size of an adult.)
Thus, I took mine apart and put it back together to resize it a bit. It's still big, but not quite as huge. It was very labor-intensive, though. Bleh.
You might be able to get away with getting a child-sized helmet and ripping the foam out of it, but that would make the chin-strap even more important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora88 View Post
Well...I took an existing helmet apart, then used Sculpey and paperclay to make the ears, then sanded, then painted, then lacquered. I wanted to go with Bondo originally, but I don't have a mask to sand with. Apparently Bondo can be pretty toxic during the sanding phase.

Here are my results.

I prefer a more rounded look, personally, but sculpey and paperclay, if sanded correctly can have a totally smooth finish, no matter how hard you want the lines to be.
The lacquering really makes all the difference, though.

Though our methods are pretty identical, don't, of course, feel confined to any one method.


A word of warning, though. If you use these substances, or Bondo or whatever, it will make your helmet weigh anywhere from seven to nine pounds. Bleh. But it's seven to nine pounds of pure fun.
Just wondering why did you take apart the helmet?
oddish_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
oddish_11
Registered User
 
oddish_11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
Just curious, but Flora why did you take the helmet apart?
oddish_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
iaShakezula
Registered User
 
iaShakezula's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,625
I tried working with Bondo , it sure makes a mess so i wont use that.Besides Foam and Bondo does not work together.

Yes you have take the helmet inside apart if it is used.You want to replace the foam padding.

Anyway, i would do this , make the cat ears from apoxie sculpt and and shape it you want.Now apoxie actually adheres to the surface but you have to sand it and run a screw thru the helmet where the ear location are..Then like clay shape the apoxie and once it is dry sand it.
Then you can paint.Now if you want to make it stronger, you can apply finishing Resin over it for example Z-POxy with fiberglass cloth
like the one this guy is using but his base material is Balsa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B88tt...eature=related

, then sand and paint and then laminate resin like the boaters use to fix their fiberglass boats.This process takes time and patience.
Or just skip the resin part. Apoxie Sculp or magic sculp are amazing.It will look as smooth as the helmet, use sanding paper from the Car shop

Speaking of paint, I would use SEM fiberglass car paint



The problem with apoxie is that it is heavy but it is stronger than clay or scupley so you can use hard foam as base shape for the ears to lighten it.I learn to use sculpey from a master propsman in the movie industry.

As for the sccythe, PVC pipes ,foam board should work.Make the blade part a light as you can, but you need power tools
__________________
Upcoming events:AX,
Nisei Week Parade ,
Anime California ,
PMX


I will be cosplaying all Sports Genre anime this time around.

Kuroko no Basket game shorts
Ace of Diamond Seido Team shirt
Haikyuu game uniform and team warmer
Baby Steps Ei- chans tournament shirt




Last edited by iaShakezula : 04-26-2010 at 09:52 PM.
iaShakezula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
Xaevier
Registered User
 
Xaevier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 743
I've taken apart a motorcycle helmet before and trust me you can rip all of the padding out and that thing will get a LOT smaller, my sister who is about 4'10 had an old helmet and I just tore all the padding out of it and it fit rather snug but it fit nontheless once all the foam was out of it. (I'm 5-7)
__________________
Cosplays in progress
Phayne/Henger (Monster Ranher 4) - Completed (Katscon 2014)
Blastoise (Full Scale) - Construction phase
Poe (Legend of Zelda) - Completed (AnimeNext 2013)
Xaevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #14
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.
 
Flora88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddish_11 View Post
Just curious, but Flora why did you take the helmet apart?
For re-sizing purposes. It fit my head with the padding, but it made my helmet look super-huge. So I took it apart, put it back together, cut down the padding a bit, and started from there.
__________________
Lady Kurenai

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #15
Katsoup
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9
what about plastic mold? Would it come out with better results? Judging from what everyone is saying about bondo and paperclay, it feels like the shape will still not be as clean cut as celty's cat ears. Does anyone else have experience with plastic? I would like to know this because I'm planning on cosplaying celty as well.
Katsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.