Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 04-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
desertsphinx
Sanity is for the weak

Sakura Staff Tutorial

Sakura Staff

I noticed that the previous tutorial for this staff has disappeared. My reaction was ďOhholyhellwhatdoIdoknow???Ē What I did was fumble my way through the making of this staff. Halfway through I thought, ďI should make a tutorial for future cosplayers, so they donít end up panicking like meĒ, because thereís a chance theyíd go without a staff, and every cosplayers worth their salt knows that props just MAKE an outfit. So, Iím halfway through the making progress as I type this, and youíll follow me the rest of the way.
Note: A HobbyCraft JUST opened near me, which is why 80% of this stuff is bought there. Feel free to find cheaper alternatives.

You Will Need:
 Embroidery hoop- diameter (take from the inside edges) 5 5/8 inches (14.3cm). I got mine from Hobby Craft for about £3 (approx $5)
 Wooden pole- length 35 Ĺ inches (90.2cm), diameter Ĺ inch (1.7cm). I bought mine from B&Q for 64p (approx. $1)
 Styrofoam starfish, bought at Hobby Craft. Canít remember how much, but fairly cheap, itís only a Styrofoam starfish.
 Thin wire
 About 3 packets of Fimo. I bought all white and painted what I needed to.
 Two big, flat, red beads. Again, bought at...HOBBYCRAFT!
 Paint (I use Anitaís Acrylic Craft Paint, because it paints on ANYTHING) in Sunshine Yellow, Fuchsia and Baby Pink.
 Gold and Red paint in another brand, because I lied in the previous point: Anitaís does not paint on Fimo very well.
 Araldite
 Any other strong glue that will stick the aforementioned materials
 Two small nails about 3mm across.

Step the First

Sand down your embroidery hoop and pole if needed. Now, I couldnít find the exact colour of paint I wanted, so I had to mix the Baby Pink and Fuchsia in about a 3:1 ratio to get the colour right. Painted about 3 coats for good measure.

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/q...p/DSCN4690.jpg

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/q...p/DSCN4692.jpg

Step the Second Steps 2-5 are concerned with making the top part of the staff.

The first thing I did was to paint my starfish with Sunshine Yellow. I did several coats of sunshine yellow. You could also gently sand down the little bumps on the surface, but it didnít even occur to me to do that. Iím new to this!!
Then I used a needle to poke holes as far down as I could into the starfish (this was only necessary because my wire wasnít rigid enough to pierce all the way through, but if you buy wire rigid enough, you can fix your starfish in place with blobs of clear glue, or small beads, and then it can spin). Then I just glued them into position with ordinary UHU (I have no hot glue gun. /tiny violin).

Step the Third

With some of the Fimo, make the wings. Itís very simple, my first time using Fimo. I just carved the swirly bits. The hardest part was to get them equal.
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/q...p/DSCN4699.jpg

Step the Fourth

Attaching the star to the hoop. Loosen your embroidery hoop just slightly. This part takes a bit of fiddling and hissing curses at the wire and the hoop XD. Push the wire through one side of the hoop, and bring it round to meet the other end. Then, you twist the end round to secure it. If you do this right, you can keep the star in the middle of the hoop, not peeking out either side. Just cut the excess wire off.

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/q...p/DSCN4694.jpg

This picture is a close up of the wire, because I really didnít explain very well.

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/q...p/DSCN4696.jpg

Unread 04-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
desertsphinx
Sanity is for the weak

Step the Fifth

Attaching the wings. By far the most difficult thing so far. I had to use araldite, because I couldnít get them to attach any other way (grrrr). Be aware that normal araldite takes a full 24 hours to dry, so donít go sticking the wings on last minute if you choose to use it.

Step the Sixth

Making the connector and the end piece. This was a trial and error process that used up most of the rest of the Fimo. Eventually, after a lot of Ďwhat the-no, thatís not what ti was supposed to look like!í I decided the best method is to make two rings separately, and kind of a flattened sphere with holes at two ends...yeah...XD MAKE SURE YOU CAN FIT YOUR POLE THROUGH THE CONNCTOR.Bake according to the instructions of the packet.

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/q...p/DSCN4705.jpg

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/q...p/DSCN4703.jpg

Then, paint these two pieces gold. I used my brotherís warhammer paint. It may take several coats; you just have to be patient. Once thatís dry, paint the top of your bottom piece with red and glue your flat, red beads on to the connector.

Step the Seventh

Glue your connector and bottom piece (what is its name? Does it have a name?) to your pole. If youíve made a mistake, and your Fimo wonít allow for it to go through, DONíT WORRY. I did this too. Luckily, Fimo sands down really easily. I suggest araldite again for gluing. Mine isnít actually glued on; I didnít sand down a lot, so itís pretty much stuck on there. And I mean stuck. Itís been whirled around my head quite a few times, and itís not come flying off yet.

Step the Eighth

The last thing to do is put the two pieces together! I roped in my brother, and he put two very small nails either side of the wire where you attached your star.

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/q...p/DSCN4763.jpg

And there you have it! One Sakura Staff. This will quite happily be thrown and spun around, but careful of those wings. Mine havenít fallen off..yet. But they will...I just know it ¨.¨

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/q...p/DSCN4757.jpg

There are numerous inaccuracies on this, or things I just want to change, the main one being, when my brother nailed it on, it wasnít straight, so now the wings are at different levels. The star in this picture is crooked, but thatís fixable, because the wire is flexible. BUT this is my first prop ever, so Iím pretty darn proud of myself.

So, I hope this helps some of you budding Sakuraís. Or, if you think itís rubbish, just unleash your anger upon me, idk.

Happy Cosplaying!!
Unread 04-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
Kiarrens
Hagane no Aikousha

Linked to the main weapons tutorial listing.
Unread 04-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

The star was never floating in the anime or manga but the way you did it you could make it spin. *_*

Anime North '18
Draculaura collector doll 2015 - FRI
Steven Universe - Rose Quartz SAT - & SUN

FanExpo '18
Rose Quartz
Boris the Wolf

Future cosplays/cons:
Sakizou Ms. Anniversary - (AN 2019 or Costume-con 38)
Lagertha - Vikings, Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
desertsphinx
Sanity is for the weak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
The star was never floating in the anime or manga but the way you did it you could make it spin. *_*
Is your comment good or bad? ><

I couldn't for the life of me find a combination of star and hoop that just touched sides. This was as close as I coud get.
Unread 04-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Saki Ree
LETS REV IT UP! :3

I love it~! <3
Saki Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsphinx View Post
Is your comment good or bad? ><

I couldn't for the life of me find a combination of star and hoop that just touched sides. This was as close as I coud get.
Nope, it's a good comment. The star spins when she summons a clow card.
I would have used Paperclay only because you and sand it down to fit inside the ring.

Anime North '18
Draculaura collector doll 2015 - FRI
Steven Universe - Rose Quartz SAT - & SUN

FanExpo '18
Rose Quartz
Boris the Wolf

Future cosplays/cons:
Sakizou Ms. Anniversary - (AN 2019 or Costume-con 38)
Lagertha - Vikings, Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
Homicidal_Jelly

so awesome ^^ now im gonna try and make one ^^"
Homicidal_Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 01:15 AM   #9
Chirudesu
Flash Goddess Chiru

Awesome! *^* I've been wanting to do a Sakura costume, specificaly Star staff one. Thank you, looks great!

私の世界 夢と恋と不安で出来てる。。。
Chirudesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
Doku_Satou
Shiny Spoork Of DOOM!!

wow i lov lov cardcaptor sakura ^-^ im soo going to make me one to add to my random collection of props yay!!
Doku_Satou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #11
PrincessxSakura
Kitty-chan~

This is so awesome, I used almost the same materials as you did xD Though I used paper clay to make the star stay in place.
PrincessxSakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 12:53 AM   #12
jalynissuper!

holy cow i'm in the process of making the same staff! I have all the elements and i was also wondering how i was going to get the star to stay in the hoop since its smaller than the hoop. thanks! I also need the random bits like the gold pieces and you just helped tremendously! thanks!
jalynissuper! is offline   Reply With Quote