Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Costume-Con

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #46
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Aggressively friendly is right! XD

I wish I had a transcript of what Marty said at the Baltimore CC about trying to encourage the anime cosplayers to come to CC and mingle with the fogeys, it was brilliant. They love fresh blood and they're all secretly starting to watch anime and look at artbooks with secret plans forming about doing anime costumes. I bet they are. Just wait and see.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #47
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Yeah, when I did more cosplay, I felt more comfortable wearing it at Costume-Con than the sci-fi cons I attend because at the sci-fi cons, I was an "anime kid" whereas I was another costumer with cool stuff at CC.

CC also freed me to do historical stuff more fearlessly. Other conventions seem to look down on historical costumes a bit (hell, just look at some of the threads in the historical costuming section of these forums for attitudes), and it was nice to find somewhere I could finally wear them.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #48
trixyloupwolf
A LONELY kitty

i looooooove to do original costume
its so the right place yeah!!!

nya!!!

were no one is...there i should hide and awaite.....
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1_edited-2.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...600x120-v4.jpg
trixyloupwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #49
von Drago
Well, you're wrong!

[quote=CapsuleCorp;3897424]They love fresh blood and they're all secretly starting to watch anime and look at artbooks with secret plans forming about doing anime costumes. I bet they are. QUOTE]

Or those of us who aren't secretly watching anything - we've been watching anime since back when it was called "japanimation".
von Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #50
Aurora Maryte
The Voice of an Angel

I feel super happy and confident to be going now.
Oh one more question...they don't list the hours on the website(in fact they don't list much at all), so what time does the convention start and end each day?
(I'm confused by the 'membership fees' too actually. It says at door $100. But then it says $25 for a 'supporting membership' and if I download the PDF then it says $55. I get the discounts for children and students, I just don't get all these other numbers they're throwing out at me).

Conventions 2014~
-Katsucon- -Castle Point- -AnimeNEXT- -Philly Comic Con- -Otakon- -Dragon*Con- -NYCC-
2013 Cosplays~ Celes Chere-opera gown(FF: VI); Dr. Princess(Adventure Time); Eowyn- green dress(LOTR); Lux(League of Legends); Magik(X-men); Anna(Frozen); Apple Pie(Sakizou); Stella(FF: XV)

Aurora Maryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 11:00 PM   #51
trixyloupwolf
A LONELY kitty

i says its a secret con and they like to keep all to themself hahahaha

it will be my third year and we want info we have to tear them apart to get any nya hahahha
and iam dead serious ^^::::

but ya nothing more will ever be on they webpage saddly haha!! ive learn that =-=''''

but it is sooooooooooo worth it
i loooooove that convention(last year was not my fav of the 2 ive gone to but o well )

i love all the competition and the doll and the all haha!!!

start houur i saw its wen they wake up if they do (nah kidding)
around 8 to 10 am (they give programation sheet at the registration^^
and end around 5 or 6 pm
but maskerade are at night after lunch yeah theyr genious they have nothing wen it lunch time so we do not run or forget to eat ^^ yeah genious people ^^

price ^^ as i could learn and see ^^
at door 100$
member 25 : its for if ya want to donate and receive the material stuff ^^

well basiquely anyway all need to know its at door price
or pre reg price ^^(hint if you go to other buy 2 year in advance hehe^^ a loooot cheaper nya like half price ALMOST ^^

friendly
trixy nya!!

were no one is...there i should hide and awaite.....
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1_edited-2.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...600x120-v4.jpg
trixyloupwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 11:25 PM   #52
Ironhill

I'm not sure on the hours, I'm hoping they post the schedule so I can print it out. What I recall from 2 years ago the programing started around 9 or 10 and went until the masquades around 8 (?), then there were parties into the night. I expect this con to be the same.

As for membership, the at door full con price is $100. If you just want to go for 1 day it is $55.

The way the con chooses the location for future cons is the members who attend will vote on the location. (We will be voting for the 2014 convention site at this con.) The group that is promoting a location will have parties, make flyers, go to other con, etc, to let everybody know of the plan to host the con. In order to pay for this they sell supporting memberships. If they win the vote everyone who bought a supporting membership will get a discount on full memberships to the con. If they don't win your out the money (sorry). This is the way the big cons (Worldcon and NASFiC) work.
Ironhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #53
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Speaking of parties, SOMEONE PLEASE BRING APPLES TO APPLES AGAIN!!!! That is all.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #54
stardust462
SNES obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergeekgirl View Post
Speaking of parties, SOMEONE PLEASE BRING APPLES TO APPLES AGAIN!!!! That is all.
I'll try to remember to bring mine. I have an expansion pack too.
AnimeCons.com ~ AnimeCons TV
stardust462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #55
gamergirlx
Tentacle Seller

Programming schedule is on the website for download (http://cc29nj.com/forms/CC29_Programming_Sched.xlsx). And you can pre-reg for the fantasy/sci-fi Masq (http://cc29nj.com/fsfmasq.aspx). As for other updates, I haven't received any to post.
My Cosplay Website: www.gamergirlx.com
My Cosplay Facebook Page:
Just For Fun: Click here to help me grow my city

Last edited by gamergirlx : 04-22-2011 at 11:28 AM.
gamergirlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #56
Aurora Maryte
The Voice of an Angel

Whoa...everything ends so early... and starts so early. o.O I'm not usually even awake until 10 or 11. Damn..
Oh well, I'm going to miss a lot of the stuff I'm interested in, but whatev.
Thank you so much for posting the schedule! Now we can figure out what days we are going to the convention.

Conventions 2014~
-Katsucon- -Castle Point- -AnimeNEXT- -Philly Comic Con- -Otakon- -Dragon*Con- -NYCC-
2013 Cosplays~ Celes Chere-opera gown(FF: VI); Dr. Princess(Adventure Time); Eowyn- green dress(LOTR); Lux(League of Legends); Magik(X-men); Anna(Frozen); Apple Pie(Sakizou); Stella(FF: XV)

Unread 04-23-2011, 03:12 AM   #57
Gravely

Secrets, well, when I was co chair of 27, I was on here almost every day to answer questions, and let folks know whats up.

and last year and this, I know Nora and others tried to do that as well, even tho it wasnt thier job , just trying to help.

for NEXT year, in Phoenix, I have been made head of programming, and named the official 'Voice to Cosplay.com"
so we will try very hard to get all the info up here.

As for costume con liking cosplayers,
for 27, the reason our numbers popped so big ( largest ever non california cc) was 100% because of the efforts to get the word out to anime cons and the cosplayers.
And it seemd to me, that they won many many awards.
costuming is costuming, skills are skills

Gravely
owner of Castle Blood the most interactive, costume friendly haunted house anywhere.
Co-Chair Costume-Con 27 ( 2009) Baltimore,Maryland
Cosplay Guest of Honor, Anime North, Toronto, May 2009,2010
founding president NJ/NY chapter ICG
2004 recipient ICG Lifetime Achievement Award
http://www.facebook.com/gravely.maccabre
Gravely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #58
gamergirlx
Tentacle Seller

Unfortunately this year, a major event in NYC is occurring for cosplayers. Sakura Matsuri in the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens is the same weekend as CC29 (next weekend). There's a lot of activities to engage in and many cosplayers have already committed to that event already (vending or participating in the many events). So they are unable to come to CC29 this year.
Unread 04-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #59
Aurora Maryte
The Voice of an Angel

I don't see why they can't split their time and do a day of each.. That's what we plan on doing. I guess it's hard for anyone in high school though- they can't attend Friday or Monday because the events end before they'd even be able to get in costume and make it over to the con, and well, Sakura Matsuri is on both days of the weekend. But idk, they could make it work. I think a lot of them don't really even know CostumeCon is going on though...all the cosplay friends I have and talked to had no idea- I thought at least a few would know.

Conventions 2014~

Unread 04-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #60
gamergirlx
Tentacle Seller

Actually, most of the cosplayers I know do know. They just aren't going to pay $55 to attend for a day when they can go to most conventions and pay that for the entire weekend. Or get their badges comped because they do panels or judging.

Also with AnimeBoston just this weekend, many aren't going for the 2 cons in 2 weekends rush.

Last edited by gamergirlx : 04-24-2011 at 06:35 PM.