Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Gundam

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
aragrey
Babyhands

Gundam Mecha Suit Help!

You've seen it, whether it was online or maybe at a con.

THE AWE-INSPIRING GUNDAM MECHA SUIT.

I've made it my goal to create one of these beasts. I purchased a book on making one using cardboard and basic materials, and I've read countless articles, but a new idea dawned upon me.

I've recently become aware of a magic little can called expanding foam, and in my mind, it seems practical for sculpting the awkward nooks and armor that make up the Gundam suit. To be specific, I'm wanting to do Burning Gundam from G Gundam.

My question to you great people is this: Would expanding foam be practical/useful for the creation of a Gundam suit?

Obviously I'd use cardboard bases and create some sort of framework. All help or comments are super appreciated
aragrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Minsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragrey View Post
You've seen it, whether it was online or maybe at a con.

THE AWE-INSPIRING GUNDAM MECHA SUIT.

I've made it my goal to create one of these beasts. I purchased a book on making one using cardboard and basic materials, and I've read countless articles, but a new idea dawned upon me.

I've recently become aware of a magic little can called expanding foam, and in my mind, it seems practical for sculpting the awkward nooks and armor that make up the Gundam suit. To be specific, I'm wanting to do Burning Gundam from G Gundam.

My question to you great people is this: Would expanding foam be practical/useful for the creation of a Gundam suit?

Obviously I'd use cardboard bases and create some sort of framework. All help or comments are super appreciated
You mean?

http://www.atalude.net/wp-content/up...cosplaybox.jpg

Sorry, sorry, sorry, I couldn't resist.

I'd like to see your Gundam suit if you ever manage to pull it off. It would be a sight to behold. I've seen pics of Gundam cosplays and they've been beyond awesome.
Unread 05-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
shinigami861

gundam 00 armor making

i'm making the Twin Drive 00 Gundam for a cosplay, my first ever mecha! i've decided to use featherweight's cardboard construction as the base for the armor, covered with bondo car putty for added strength and durability. my question is, is there anything cheaper i can use to cover the cardboard and still be as durable? i've used the whole pint can on nearly the whole helmet, and have about 30 more armor pieces to make. also, what can i use to make the details along the helmet? bondo isn't all that great for sculpting, and i'm NOT going to sand it into shape. would paperclay adhere to bondo, or would something else be better? Lastly, what could i use to make the GN condensors? i need about 6 large clear circles for the wrists, elbows and knees, which i'm going to paint clear green and light up with EL cable from inside. Specifically, i'm wondering where i can find clear flat discs that are 2"-6" diameters.

Last edited by shinigami861 : 05-27-2010 at 06:28 AM. Reason: clarity
shinigami861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
striker0
Gunpla building expert

I can only offer this piece of advice. Make a mock armor piece (forearm for example) and buy just a small amount of expanding foam, and try it out. I'm not too sure of the exact properties of expanding foam, but I reckon you won't need much. But it also depends on how much you put on. Obviously if you put x amount, you're gonna have to watch it and see where it goes. Will it expand too much that you cut off excess is more than what is on the armor piece? Is it heavy, heavy to the point where you can barely move? Also, is there the possible chance that you can get heat stroke while wearing said cosplay?

Keep those things into consideration. Oh and if you have the chance, swing by here:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=183412

When the posters aren't too busy working on their cosplays, this thread can give you some serious insight, as well as the fact that the thread creator can give some better advice.
striker0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
shinigami861

thank you soooo much for that link! i've been reading it all night last and tonight! it is so helpful. I've pretty much discarded the idea of doing the whole suit in bondo, it'd take to long and be too expensive. I'll just bondo the really delicate parts like the antennae and cat ears (yes the head has little protrusions on the back top that look like ears, so kawaii!) i've been toying with the idea of using either wonderflex or styrene sheets, and my roomie who works in the costume shop of a theatre keeps trying to get me to use fosshape, maybe she knows something i dont lol. anyone with any experience using fosshape, do u think it would cover a gundam well and stiffen it some? i've read that it's paintable and with heat & pressure becomes shiny and stiffens. I'm still having trouble coming up with slightly rounded clear discs that i can use for the GN condensers on the knees, head, wrists and elbows. was thinking some plexi specially cut from Lowe's Hardware, but i really would prefer it to be slightly domed, and not flat.

Last edited by shinigami861 : 05-31-2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Unread 05-31-2010, 12:44 AM   #6
shinigami861

one other thing that's been bugging me a bit, even though i'm getting way ahead of my construction here. I want to make see through green eyes that also light up. What sort of methods do i have available in order to produce this? i've seen the one tutorial on a halo site about how to use an airbrush to paint a clear visor from a gasmask for a halo helmet, but that kind of airbrush is out of my budget right now as is getting a gasmask. also, if i'm lighting up my eyeholes, won't the LEDs or whatever also be shining directly in my eyes inside the helmet? I really loved Miragestudio's Twin Drive 00 and I'm a little jealous that he's beaten me to the punch, even including things i planned on like the light up eyes and GNIII Sword on his right arm.
Unread 10-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
zanderwitaz
Zprops.net

I dont get why no one uses styrene. it doesnt need reinforcing, and is ready to paint as is. its also the same process as making cardboard armor. I use .040 guage for mine.
zanderwitaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
voltage11
MechaCosplayer

i posted here what i did to light up my eyes for my heavyarms costume. its cheap, and doesnt hurt your eyes. http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=202856

if you're looking to light up anything in general, make sure it is a)correctly power supplied and b)the battery supply is adequately stored somewhere where you an access a toggle switch or in my case 9v snaps.

Costume: Aegis Gundam, Series: (Gundam Seed) 100%

Completed:
Costume: Gundam Heavyarms Custom, Series: (Gundam Wing Endless Waltz) 100%

Upcoming Conventions:
Fan:dom, Pensacola FL (November 2011)
voltage11 is offline   Reply With Quote