Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Hetalia: Axis Powers

Unread 05-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
Rosiana
hi 6666666666

Help with a coat!

My friend had helped me make my cosplay coat for my Hetalia Spain cosplay[The Seven year war one], and she rushed it and had accidentally made the coat too tight following with how skinny I am. The coat itself is fine, but it's both arms namely underneath that are VERY tight and it's hard to move around without hearing the part that's sewn come undone.

Is there anyone to fix the underarms of the coat without having to remake the whole thing? I can't get into contact with my friend for a while and I'm hoping I can try doing it myself with the help of my parents..
Rosiana is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Tristes
She Who Dares

Umm... I'm not a sewing whiz, but once something is cut that tight, with no room on the seams to let it out, you will either need to add fabric, or re-do it. If the seam is just stiched to far into the cloth, you can re-sew it. But if its just the normal inch or so already, then your probably going to have to re-do it. But someone else might have an idea.
Tristes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
VickyBunnyAngel
Puchuu

It depends what your friend did to make it too tight, if she over-sewed the seam allowance on the sleeve/armhole pattern, that can explain why it's too small. This is the easiest scenario I can think of that would be fixable if she did not cut off the excess fabric.
1) Take the sleeves apart
2) resew it with a bare minimum seam allowance (just enough so it doesn't fray while you're sewing it, and so you can go over it with a zig zag stitch to minimize future fraying)
That should free up a half an inch or so hopefully, and that may be enough for you to wear the jacket more comfortably

If there is an insufficient amount of seam allowance, then you will have to add fabric.

Your friend may also have cut the armhole too small on the body of the jacket. Check this to make sure it's not too tight and enlarge if necessary. It would be silly to resew the sleeves back onto an armhole that was too small to begin with :P

Emerald Scorpion Creations
2012 Upcoming conventions: G-Anime, Katsucon, Con-G, Anime North, Otakuthon, Fan Expo, Youmacon

Costumes 2012: Yuuko (xxxHolic), Miku (Alice Human Sacrifice Vocaloid), V-13 (Blazblue), Homura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica), Ninian (Fire Emblem), La Noire Musketeer (Granado Espada)

Watch me on deviantART: http://vickybunnyangel.deviantart.com/

Join me at Costume Con 32 in Toronto!
VickyBunnyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Hard to say 100% without seeing exactly what's going on, but try adding some gussets under the arm. Gussets are a lifesaver when you have a tight sleeve but need mobility.
To give you an idea: http://www.theweebsite.com/sewing/sleeves/gussets.html
It's basically a diamond shape (pointed or rounded ) that goes into the underarm seam between sleeve and body, to give some extra room to move.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote