Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Soulcalibur

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-15-2003, 11:48 PM   #1
Elvenwolf
Elf in disguise

Need help with XIANGHUA Soul Calibur II costume pattern

I'd like to cosplay as Xianghua from Soul Calibur II, but I'm not a seamstress at all. Here're pics of the outfit:

http://www.angelfire.com/ca5/SFGang/...2/Xianghua.jpg
http://www.felixmcli.org/sc2-costumes.html#xianghua

Unless there's an easy pattern I can follow, I was thinking about modifying a light blue chi pao top (cutting the sleeves off and then shortening them). However, I still wouldn't know what to do about the intricate gold, purple, and blue designs on her top and pants. Fabric paint tends to chip off after a wash or two.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com..._pic_34927.jpg

http://www.computerandvideogames.com..._pic_34946.jpg

I also need suggestions for how to fix the sashes at her side and what fabric I could use. What kind of material could I use to make her tiara/headpiece?

Thanks in advance.
Elvenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2003, 05:22 AM   #2
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Ok, I am bored...so, I will do what I can to help.

It's a very cute outfit, one that friend was going to do last year, but never got around to. But...

re. pattern: search simplicity.com or mccall.com (has vogue, butterick, mccalls ) or kwiksew.com. Or hit your local fabric store and look thru the many fabric books they will have. Look for the chinese style tops. They're not hard to put together, and a mandarin collar is easier than you think. Modifying an existing garment woud probably also work. Whatever you choose (pattern or existing) will require modification, so you can't get around that.

However, I still wouldn't know what to do about the intricate gold, purple, and blue designs on her top and pants. Fabric paint tends to chip off after a wash or two.

I don't know what brand of fabric paint you are using, but I have never had trouble with mine. It's... um...shoot, I forgot the name, and it is back home in my craft stuff. There are plenty of different kinds, make sure you ask someone at the store who has fabric paint experience. And personally, I think paint is the best idea for the designs, because it can go on the fabric well and look smooth, and comes in lots of colors. Usually if you iron it after, the color will become permanent. And as long as you're not planning on wearing this garment every day and running around and sweating in it, then I don't think you have to worry about the paint chipping off or something. The other option might be iron on transfers, but IMHO, they don't look as good because the color isn't as bright. The gold trim I would use gold bias tape, handsewn on. Takes time, but looks way better.

I also need suggestions for how to fix the sashes at her side and what fabric I could use.

It looks light and flowy, but not shiny or see-thru, so I would go with either a light cotton or silk. Silk would probably 'flow' better, though. As for attaching them, it almost looks (from the pictures) that you could wrap it around your waist, and tie the sash at the side, where the little slit in her top is. That, or sew it directly to the pants. Or use velcro.

What kind of material could I use to make her tiara/headpiece?

Hmmm.... crafters choice interfacing on the same blue fabric used for the shirt with the designs painted (or handsewn) on and attached to a headband. Or really thin cardboard, like from cereal boxes. Or paper mache over a wire frame... experiment until you find one you like.

Hope this helped somewhat. I am too sleepy to tell.

Good luck!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2003, 09:59 PM   #3
Elvenwolf
Elf in disguise

Thanks for all your help. I'm glad you got bored and decided to post ^^ I agree with the fabric paint looking better than iron-on...I guess I got the wrong paint :S I'll see what I can do (or attempt to do). Thanks again!

Btw, if anyone else has other suggestions, please feel free to leave a post. I could still use more advice/tips ^^V

Last edited by Elvenwolf : 09-16-2003 at 10:11 PM.
Unread 09-16-2003, 10:06 PM   #4
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvenwolf
Thanks for all your help. I'm glad you got bored and decided to post ^^ I'll see what I can do (or attempt to do). Thanks again!

Your welcome!

I like thank you posts. They make me happy. *sparkles*

(can one tell I have nothing to do at work all day?)
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2003, 10:59 PM   #5
Elvenwolf
Elf in disguise

Y'know...I posted this in the /wrong/ forum. I just got all happy seeing people helping Naruto cosplayers out, I forgot SCII is supposed to be in the /game costumes/ category. Yeah...so I'll be moving over there ^^;;;
Unread 09-16-2003, 11:03 PM   #6
loki555
Oops,i forgoted something

Wrong Forum *PM a mod*
Unread 09-17-2003, 12:18 AM   #7
Elvenwolf
Elf in disguise

Ok, now it's in the right forum. Anyone else have suggestions plz? ^^;;