Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Hellsing

Unread 05-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
Noaptea

Rip van Winkle Musket

The one I found is 30 dollars to buy..and I simply don't have that kind of money D; I was going to make it from PVC pipe and wood, and my friend is giving me some excellent pointers, but the added problem is..I dont have access to woodworking tools to shape it xD Any tips?
Noaptea is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
KillaBeeSwarm
Calmer than you are.

Got a pic of what you're trying to make?

Cosplay Wikis
* Black, Brown and Tanned Characters
* Musician Characters
KillaBeeSwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Noaptea

Oh, sorry! First thread and all xD

http://www.panhistoria.com/Stacks/No...ages/Rip50.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...n_Winkle_2.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/ngot5e/6
Unread 06-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
KillaBeeSwarm
Calmer than you are.

So, pvc pipe and wood. I'll assume the wood is probably the correct thickness. Do you not have access to a saw of any kind, not even a hand saw? Hack saw? No powered tools, like a Dremel? What about a wood file? Any tools at all? Do you have sand paper?

Cosplay Wikis
* Musician Characters
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
Noaptea

I have a handsaw, but that's it. Maybe sandpaper. I really wish I could find a tutorial somewhere, but I haven't been able to find much help D: It's my first prop too. Con rules basically shot me down for the umbrella, and I'm not going to be outside to have it open anyways.
Unread 06-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
KillaBeeSwarm
Calmer than you are.

Okay, so you have the pvc as the barrel, wood for the gun stock. Draw out on paper (to scale) what you want to do. Maybe one centimeter on paper equals one inch on the wood. If you have enough paper you can make it 1:1, so one inch equals one inch. Draw the stock. Then transfer/trace this to the actual wood. Once you have the shape traced on the wood, use the hand saw to cut the basic shape of the rear portion of the gun stock. Get as close as you can but not too close. It's better to not cut off enough than to cut off too much. Now is the long, tedious part. Once the stock is cut out you need to sand to the final shape. Use low number sand paper (~120) to do rough sanding and get it closer to the final shape, higher number (~220) for the final smoothing into the final shape. It'd help if you had a sanding block, but you could just duct tape sand paper to a scrap square/rectangular block of wood and get the same effect. As for attaching the pvc to the wood, I recommend five minute epoxy glue. Sand the edges of the pvc and wood that will touch each other with the rough sandpaper; it'll help give the glue something to grab onto. Apply the glue, apply pressure for five minutes until it sets, let it cure overnight. Then comes staining the wood. You'll have to do a few layers of the stain, then a few of the clear coat i.e. polyurethane. PVC comes in black so that should be good to go.

$30 is too much? The best way to cut down cost is to borrow as much as possible. five minute epoxy is $5, sandpaper is $3-$4 for each 3-pack so $6-$8, wood stain about $5, clear coat $5. $23 plus tax, not including the wood and pvc. If you need to cut down costs, you could try using long, thin nails to attach the pvc to wood rather than glue. Ideally someone else already has one or more of the sand paper, wood stain, clear coat and epoxy/nails items you can borrow, perhaps even the wood board.

Cosplay Wikis
* Musician Characters

Last edited by KillaBeeSwarm : 06-03-2010 at 11:24 AM.