Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 06-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
marioblanket

Need help with Phoenix Wright (the character) wig

Hey everyone,

First off, I'm sorry that my first post here is begging you guys for help. I've been a nameless lurker for a while now, always harboring a strong desire to cosplay but never having the money or time, and I'm now finally in a position where I can cosplay for the first time. I'm a huge fan of the Ace Attorney series, Phoenix Wright being one of my favorite characters of all time, and I feel that his costume is a nice and easy pick for my first ever cosplay, besides his crazy, spiky hair, of course!

Here is a picture of Phoenix.

Something I find myself wondering is if I should go with his exact spike style, which is 12-15 somewhat large spikes, or if I should go with a more realistic style (since I am real and not a game character) and have the spikes in the back look more like actual spiky hair looks, when you run gel through it. I honestly don't know what would look better, but I found that Happykyon's Phoenix wig resembles the latter description quite well!

I'm also not entirely sure how I would make his interesting, almost jagged hairline. Once again, I will refer to Happykyon's Phoenix wig, as it is the only Phoenix Wright wig I've seen that replicates his hairline. It looks fantastic and I would love to know how I might be able to do that with my own wig.

Lastly, I've never styled a wig before, and I'm worried I might be in a little over my head here. Money isn't exactly an obstacle right now, so if anyone has seen a good Phoenix Wright wig on sale, it would probably be easiest for me to just buy one or have one commissioned. Please let me know if you have seen anything or have any ideas that might help me.

Thank you so much for your time.

-Dane P.

Last edited by marioblanket : 06-04-2010 at 04:44 PM.
marioblanket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
Color-hime
Pirate in disguise

Oh, I love this game! Good luck!
I've never tried styling a Phoenix Wright wig, but it seems like it'd be easiest to style if the wig was turned at a 90 degree angle, with the back facing down while you style it. Then, try using hair gel to make the spikes, coat it in a layer of hair spray, and let it dry at that angle. That way, gravity is working with you, rather than against you!
Unread 06-06-2010, 06:33 AM   #3
marioblanket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Color-hime View Post
Oh, I love this game! Good luck!
I've never tried styling a Phoenix Wright wig, but it seems like it'd be easiest to style if the wig was turned at a 90 degree angle, with the back facing down while you style it. Then, try using hair gel to make the spikes, coat it in a layer of hair spray, and let it dry at that angle. That way, gravity is working with you, rather than against you!
That's an awesome idea! I wouldn't have thought to turn it that way.

Thanks. :3
marioblanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
TR Rose
Meowing About

We did two Phoenix Wright "wigs" that used funfoam for the base. It's the only way my husband could figure out how to get the strange shape for his hair. I have a little guide up about how we put these together (I covered mine in extension hair afterwards but the technique to get started is about the same).

http://trsrockin.com/reversewig.html

Perhaps not what you were looking for, but that's how we did it. The costume is easy but the hair seems to give a lot of people trouble. That is a *difficult* style that I've never seen for sale anywhere.
• 10th Doctor
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
KovuKora
Ye olde pirate mess

I had the same question and TR Rose answered it. Thanks a bunch!
KovuKora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
lollydove

Ah, Phoenix Wright! That game is GOOD! (even bought it for the ipod touch orz)
Hmm... well if you wanted to style it yourself I'd probably start with a Punky or a wig with lots of hair in it... and carefully spike it.
I've never done spikes before, I'm better with cutting and styling bangs personally DX
June / Akane Kurashiki (999) - %85
Phi (Good People Die) - %0
Shuu Iwamine (Pigeon Boyfriend) - %0
Kazemaru Ichirouta (Inazuma Eleven) - %0

[center]COME VISIT MY LENS STORE!
lollydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
yaniguchi

marioblanket-- Thanks for posting the question! I was looking all over for someone who had the same problem I'm having. Blast you, Phoenix, and your crazy hair!

TR-- thank you SO much! Your tutorial just saved me a lot of pain and hassle of trying to style a base wig. I never thought about building a wig myself! ^_^
yaniguchi is offline   Reply With Quote