Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 06-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
KakeraのTsuki
in Somniō

Tutorial: Change your eyelash color temporarily

I've been musing about this topic for a while; If you can change the color of your hair and your eyebrows, why not eyelashes?

[edit] tutorial deleted

I won't reiterate it since it's all viewable, but if anyone has any need for clarification, feel free to ask here or PM me. I've been experimenting with the technique for a few days now, and that's everything I've come up with so far.

FAQ:
Q: Is it safe?
A: In my experience, yes. I've even gotten a small bit of acrylic in my eye the first time I tried this, and while it really stung for a while, my optometrist told me there was no damage (she also told me not to try it again, but meh) It may vary with how sensitive your eye is, so be very cautious when attempting this. If you know your eyes are sensitive naturally, then avoid this technique.

Q: Is this the only paint you can use?
A: I've only tried it with acrylic, since the paint is non-toxic and has excellent coverage, plus it's extremely easy to remove.

Q: Where can you get acrylic medium and acrylic retarder?
A: In any art store. There are several types of acrylic medium, so make sure the one you get is what you want.

Please do share any experiences with experimenting, and feel free to ask questions, of course. =)

Otakuthon: Ashe(League of Legends), Artwork (Nardack illustrations)

Upcoming: Lyndis (Fire Emblem: awakening), Abel (Trinity Blood), Fruit Tart (Sakizo)

Last edited by KakeraのTsuki : 06-04-2010 at 09:35 PM.
KakeraのTsuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Did you know there are pigments in acrylic paints such as cadmium, rust, granules of honest-to-god rock, highly staining reds and purples derived from petroleum, and a whole menu of other substances that are not only unfriendly to your eyeballs but outright toxic?

It's not a 'sensitive eye' issue. It's a DON'T INGEST PAINT issue.

Anybody doing this: PLEASE at least have a look at this guide to artist safety before you do.

I'd also like to mention that there are brightly-colored mascaras that are safe to use. Yellow, pink, purple, white...it's out there.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
KakeraのTsuki
in Somniō

Yes, I have looked at the msds sheets to make sure the paint was relatively safe before attempting this. Even if you get some in your eye, a quick eye wash will solve the problem; it's actually much safer than most things a student handles in art or chemistry.

If you're cautious, it's pretty much impossible to get any in your eye since acrylic doesn't run and dries relatively quickly. Any foreign object in your eye is a bad idea, but as long as it doesn't get in your eye I don't see an issue.

I have a tube of blue mascara too, but it doesn't work nearly as well, which is why I experimented with this.

But I see your point, so yes, do be extremely careful if you try this.

Upcoming: Lyndis (Fire Emblem: awakening), Abel (Trinity Blood), Fruit Tart (Sakizo)

Unread 06-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Crossmesh

LOL HEY YOU ;P

DON'T DO IT MAN. When you said you said you were doing a tutorial on coloring eyelashes I thought you meant like... fake eyelashes, not the real thing. Omg don't put acrylic paint on your eyelashes that seems horrible. I dont wanna see you go blind. <3

no but seriously, don't. Besides colored eyelashes look kinda funny
Crossmesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
wouldmewkindly

Well, if anything, this is certainly inventive.. but yes, please be careful! I would really refrain from doing this.. Even if the paint doesn't run, it could eventually flake. I definitely understand color mascaras not showing up on dark lashes though.. Maybe you could try using liquid liners as "mascara". Granted, they wont add volume or length but if it's color you're looking for, I know they make vibrant color liquid liners. You could even mascara or prime your lashes first or color your own falsies although already colored false lashes do exist.
wouldmewkindly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

For fashion shows, makeup artists mix eyeshadow with vaseline, and apply that mixture to lashes.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
JelloRobot

Wow. Now that's what I call dedication.

I'm not gonna bash you for doing it, but just be careful. I honestly don't understand the concept of dying eyelashes since anime characters always have black eyelashes even when their eyebrows and hair are a different color. But I still give you props for going to this extreme for cosplay lol. =P
JelloRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

To help brightly-colored commercial mascara show up more easily, there's a product called "eyelash primer". It's white, and if you'd just like white lashes it can be used all on its own. There are various brands. Most drugstores with a makeup section will have at least one, and the cheap stuff works fine.

I can't stress how much the idea of using artists' paint near an eye bothers me--ESPECIALLY when there are safe ways to do exactly the same thing for about the same price.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
Emrys

There are colored mascaras and eyeliners. I actually use them to color my eyebrows LOL. Don't think I could ever get used to colored eyelashes though... The only thing that sucks about buying the colored mascara and stuff is that you might not get the right color and need to buy another one if trying to match your wig color (happened when I was looking for makeup for my Neptune cosplay).

Besides the toxic/irritating stuff that could be in the acrylic paint, I would worry about removal. Even if you use eye makeup and makeup remover you'll probably lose a few lashes when taking it off. The acrylic is not designed to be removed, let alone removed from tiny hairs. It's basically like coating your eyelashes in plastic and you'd probably have to scrape or pull it off since I'm not sure if makeup remover would work on it. >.<

EDIT: oh, and even if a paint says it is water soluble, that doesn't necessarily apply once it has dried. Acrylic is basically waterproof when dry.

Last edited by Emrys : 06-04-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
KakeraのTsuki
in Somniō

@PSY-chan: I'll try that, thank you. =)

@Mangochutney: Do you mean the same stuff I used in my tutorial? If so, yes, those are fine for white lashes. I tried dusting different eyeshadows over it but that didn't work very well. =(

It's not exactly ideal for me as well, but I haven't found a better solution without ordering tens of tubes of mascara online and hoping they show up. If I find something better, I'll definitely switch of course. =)

@Emrys: I haven't actually seen decent colored mascara around where I live, no matter how hard I look, and the one tube I ordered online was seriously disappointing, since it barely showed up, even under bright lights. This is the best alternative I've found so far, and I'll keep looking, but for now this is it, lol. It removes easily with a coat of primer under it, and I haven't lost a single lash yet, either.

Unread 06-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
Lindze
The Mad Hatter

I cant possibly be more against this method---your eyes are very precious and delicate, and irritate easily. "just wash it out" is such a dangerous fail safe! Its a good idea in theory and I know you mean well & it may have looked good, but as a professional makeup artist, I advise STRONGLY against it for others.

there are mixing mediums made JUST for this. MAC makes one in their pro line:
http://www.macpro.com/templates/prod..._ID=PROD7 798
simply use the clear mixing medium and mix with pigment eyeshadows/loose eyeshadow and you can get a customized, safe mascara color.
Pro products are not available for sale without a professional account, but if you Google the product, there is almost always someone selling Pro products on ebay or the like, to non-members. You can also look up tutorials on this method on YouTube and Google.

This technique will look more like a colored mascara, so it wont be as vibrant as acrylic paint, but there is a reason why no makeup companies have made one that vibrant---it isn't safe for eyes, plain and simple. Trust me, if it was, the FDA would have approved it and I'd have them in my kit for work!

Edit: In case you need evidence on why this is a bad idea:

Info from Princton Edu on paint:
Water-Based Paints (top)
Water-based paints include water color, acrylic, gouache, tempera and casein. Water is used for thinning and cleanup.
Hazards:
2. Acrylic paints contain a small amount of ammonia. Some sensitive people may experience eye, nose and throat irritation from the ammonia. Acrylics and some gouaches contain a very small amount of formaldehyde as a preservative. Only people already sensitized to formaldehyde would experience allergic reactions from the trace amount of formaldehyde found in acrylics. The amounts can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
3. Casein paints use the protein casein as a binder. While soluble forms are available, casein can be dissolved in ammonium hydroxide which is moderately irritating by skin contact and highly irritating by eye contact, ingestion, and inhalation.
4. All water-based paints contain a preservative to prevent mold or bacterial growth. Sometimes artists add preservatives when they make their own paints. Although present in small amounts, certain preservatives may cause allergic reactions in some people.

Last edited by Lindze : 06-04-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Lindze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KakeraのTsuki View Post

@Mangochutney: Do you mean the same stuff I used in my tutorial? If so, yes, those are fine for white lashes. I tried dusting different eyeshadows over it but that didn't work very well. =(

It's not exactly ideal for me as well, but I haven't found a better solution without ordering tens of tubes of mascara online and hoping they show up. If I find something better, I'll definitely switch of course. =)
What she's trying to say is that it's much safer to put the primer on under a colored mascara. Plus it makes more sense. I don't even use my paint brushes for make up application, much less the actual paint. You're free to do whatever you want, but I, like everyone here, would strongly advise against it. Besides, some colors just don't work for lashes (though I am a huge fan of neon purple and blue colors).

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #13
Emrys

The brand I use is LA Splash, which should be available in Canada (I'm sure you'll find it if you go to a beauty store but maybe not in a regular drugstore). They have tons of colors for mascara and liquid eyeliner, though I think it would be easier to match a non-natural color than trying to give yourself blond eyelashes (they have various gold shades but I'm not sure how that would look). Even if you find the color you want in a liquid eyeliner you can use a clean mascara brush like you did in your tutorial.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
KakeraのTsuki
in Somniō

All right, I will definitely try all the suggestions suggested here, and try to find a better alternative. Thanks to everyone for their input. =)

I hadn't thought that the reason such vibrant colors didn't exist was because they're unsafe, and I hadn't thought that so many people would be against the idea. I will report back with findings when I get some. For now, I'm deleting my tutorial off deviantart unless I deem the method completely safe.

Unread 06-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #15
Lindze
The Mad Hatter

no worries! I'm always trying new things too! I'm sure your intent wasn't to blind the masses!

yeah, unfortunately, the reason why a lot of cool, vibrant colors say "not safe for eyes" (in regards to other costume makeup even) is for the reason that in order to get that rich, super-strong color, different pigments/chemicals are needed to make it that way, which in turn are not eye-safe. Its a bummer cause I have a lot of awesome professional colors/paints in my kit I want to put on eyes but cant due to safety reasons.
Here's hoping they make something someday with that much awesomeness that is safe for us color-loving types, right? =)
Lindze is offline   Reply With Quote