Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-14-2010, 02:16 AM   #136
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

I adore steampunk-y things, so my opinion maybe a little slanted but I say go for it. I find it a little annoying when people try and dictate what should and should not be worn at conventions. If someone wants to run around an anime convention dressed as a shoe why shouldn't they? Everyone is just there to have fun, and there tends to be a lot of fan cross over between Anime and Sci-fi. I'm a fan of both. Cosplay elitists who make comments because someone costume is a little off or they don't think the person looks enough like the character they are dressed up as annoy me. They take it too seriously.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #137
Crusader_8
Ask me about my name

sheesh there's 10 pages of this?

I have a message for anyone who feels anime cons should only have anime cosplay. Do you honestly feel that strongly about it? Do you hate variety and diversity THAT much? More importantly, I'm surprised there are people expressing such negative opinions who really yearn to tell complete strangers what they're allowed to wear at a convention they don't make the rules for.

Do you realize regardless of an attendee's cosplay one can assume they're there to enjoy... gasp... anime? You can't really bar anime fans from anime conventions based on their costume theme. Do you somehow feel cheated out of seeing yet another Bleach or APH cosplay for each attendee you see in a non-anime cosplay? I have several dozen more questions where that came from.

For the OP - try not to put all steampunk cosplayers under the same hate-blanket just because a few were rude to you. Maybe they were like that because you were sharing various unwanted opinions.

Coming soon - my most patriotic costume yet, Captain America!

Cosplays on the Drawing board -
Sam Flynn
Optimus Prime
Black Jack
Crusader_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #138
Luther
A wild LUTHER appeared!

If anime conventions were only about anime, I wouldn't want to go! I don't really like anime that much, I'm more into video games. I've never cosplayed an anime character, and I spend my con time in the game room instead of an anime panel or anime viewing. And I know I'm not the only one!

Anime conventions aren't just about anime, they attract various fandoms that intersect in many ways. Being a purist about what's strictly anime would make anime conventions really boring!
Unread 06-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #139
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

This discussion comes around once a month about SOMETHING, be it Star Wars costumes, steampunk, lolita, whatever. Basically, this is an old thread that's been done and done and done and done and done under hundreds of different guises.

Can't this argument please just die? If you want to be the cosplay fashion police, pay for my cosplay supplies and the money for me to get into the convention. Otherwise, just shut up. Anime cons have (thank GOD!) become more like general fandom cons geared toward a bit younger crowd over the past few years. Don't we want to grow the cons and the subculture rather than losing people as they start to make non-anime costumes?
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:20 PM   #140
Kunoichi Neko
The World is Mine! =^w^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexation View Post
I don't go to a rock concert expecting to see country music, why, by god, should I go to an anime convention expectin sci-fi?

Again, I'm all for live and let live. But it's something I'll eyetwitch about and then go on my happy way.

I just wanted to see if I was the only darned person that thought this way.
Rock concerts and anime conventions are very different perhaps this wasn't a good metaphor.

Future cons: Akicon 2011
Sakuracon 2012
My Lovely Lolita Blog A Cursed Doll
Kunoichi Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #141
JiseiHakushaku
Don't be such a Nord.

Quote:
I deal with Steampunks looking down on me quite often, as thought cyber is beneath them. Of course they don't know that I'm also a neovictorian-sporting fashion person. I was called, quite a few times, nasty names.
Sounds like what you're dealing with are a couple of snobs in Steampunk or generally rude people as opposed to the entire Steampunkdom (?) in itself. It's a stereotype. Not all Steampunk folks will be dramafestering fiends.

Rude people are rude people no matter what they're wearing. :<

As for letting it into cons, I guess I'm biased because I love Steampunk, but shouldn't it have just as much place as Cybergoth, Rave, Loli, etc. Sure it's not really "Asian", but isn't there a Steampunk anime? Therefore, Steampunk probably does have as much place..?

•Progress:
Vriska Serket - God Tier [Homestuck] 50%
Vriska Serket - Assassin!Tier [Homestuck] 25%
Raimei Shimizu [Nabari no Ou] 15% [Hiatus]
Calliope [Homestuck] 15%
Claudia Auditore - Assassin [Assassin's Creed] 0%

I dream of getting rid of that icon someday. Prayer circle for me.
JiseiHakushaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #142
Kaoshima
Legendary Prosecutor

You're treating anime as if it's a genre. It's not. Anime is a medium. A medium divided into several genres. Genres like Sci-fi, Fantasy, Horror, Cyberpunk, Steampunk, Giant Robot, Hentai, etc.

So that considered, I think looking down on Sci-fi, Fantasy, or Steampunk at an anime con is rather foolish.

Don't forget, The same thing happened before there were anime cons. People would cosplay anime characters at Sci-Fi cons, and there was the same range of reactions. Some people hated it, some people loved it, some people didn't care.

Last edited by Kaoshima : 07-20-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Kaoshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 01:10 AM   #143
Ledi

Whether it does or does not belong at an anime convention is one thing, but I can say that, from a complete working standpoint, Steampunk companies who make/sell armor and props can usually only make money when they go to ALOT of cons. Now look at how many anime cons there are compared to sci-fi cons. The numbers are drastically different. In order to make revenue, Steampunk companies must attend anime conventions. But that's purely from an economical standpoint.
Ledi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 08:25 AM   #144
paper cosplay
going 2D in a 3D artform

agree with ledi my steampunk mystery group started off at scifi cons but keeps getting invited to run our mystery game at anime conventions. we have our own self created world nothing to do with any anime but several conventions wanted us to run the game.
Unread 08-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #145
KradsLover
The Cloaked Scheamer

I like steampunk. I think it's interesting to see some panels about it at conventions and maybe even see some vendors selling stuff of the variety. It is a popular 'theme' and I myself am fond of older eras (such as the '20s, victorian age, ect).

What I do not like is when you go to an anime convention, and there is more steampunk than anime. I will take Anime Festival Wichta 6 for example:

While the convention was good, though a little crowded, there was way too much Steampunk. I went into the vendors room and all I saw was Steampunk vendors and some stuff for the rennisance (spell?) festival. Then on Sunday, ALL the panels were for Steampunk it seemed. It was very boring because of that, because I did not want to attend them. I understand that there was a Steampunk convention coming up soon (it was advertised in the main rooms) but it didn't need to take over an existing convention.

Some people thought that it was neat, having all that Steampunk stuff there. I thought it was just overkill.

Now, a good amount of Steampunk merchandise spread out in the vendors' room is fine. A bunch of panels spread through out the weekend is just dandy. It doesn't need to be CLUMPED all at once.

And there is my opinion on this. I think it can be in anime conventions, but it doesn't need to take over the anime conventions. Because, after all, anime conventions are for ANIME, Japanease culture, and Japanease sub-culture. Steampunk isn't really any of those to me.

Cosplays for 2011
Riku Replica- Kingdom Hearts (Re: ) Chain of Memories 15% done
Len Kagamine - Story of Evil Arc - Vocaloids 0.5% done
Ciel Phantomhive - Black Butler 0% done
Autumn themed Lolita - 0% done
South Italy - Hetalia - 0% done
KradsLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #146
astrya02
blogger supreme

I personally love Steampunk. I don't go to anime conventions for the Anime because I'm more of a video game fan, and a lot of people are the same. I appreciate all types of subcultures and love seeing them, and Steampunk is no different. In fact, when I saw there was a panel for Steampunk at a con I recently went to, I was ecstatic to see that it wasn't just about Japanese stuff.

I agree, this stuff shouldn't have to be validated. People go around in the skimpiest outfits but everyone (for some reason) is okay with them, so why not?
astrya02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #147
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Quote:
Discuss your feelings on steampunks at cons. I don't want a general steampunk discussion.

Starters: Do they fit in anime cons? Why or why not? Shouldn't they be more at sci-fi cons?

Furthermore, to those that say no to the first question, do you also dislike scifi cosplay at anime cons and vice versa?

I like all forms of costuming at Anime Conventions. Any genre, media recreation or original design, fashion related, anything.

---

And steampunk most definately fits with anime conventions.

Anybody who does not think the steampunk asthetic fits has obviously missed the design sensibilies in Anime shows such as Howl's Moving Castle, War of Worlds, Castle in the Sky, Robot Carnival, Steamboy, and so on.

~Kaijugal

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #148
sokenfused
it hurtz

I absolutely think Steampunk cosplays/vendors/etc fit in at anime conventions.

Personally, one of the things I look forward to most about going to conventions is getting to see the different cosplays. Some of the best I have seen have been Steampunk-related. It is a genre that provides the cosplayer with such a wealth of opportunity to create new/unique things without the restriction of having to conform to a certain "character".

Can't tell you how many times I've cosplayed an anime character, done a very accurate portrayal, yet still had a random passer-by say something along the lines of "Oh, *insert character name* wouldn't do that or say that oe wear that" It becomes quite frustrating after about the nth time.

Yay cosplay. Yay Steampunk!
Unread 10-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #149
grotesk_faery

Though Steampunk isn't inherently Japanese (though I have seen it in some anime), I feel that it does hold a place at anime conventions simply because so many congoers are also interested in Steampunk fashion. There are many other things at cons that aren't really anime related (some video games, raves, etc) that are widely accepted simply because they are included in the interests of congoers. I feel that since cons tend to be a place where people who are "different" tend to gather, that we should accept subcultures like Steampunk into the setting. Also, anime conventions are much easier to come by than Steampunk gatherings. Really, it's all about interest and acceptance. If you don't like it, don't do it, but don't try to restrict the liberties of these people. You have to remember that you may have been/could be in that position, too as a cosplayer/congoer in another setting.
grotesk_faery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #150
sephygoth
Hater lover

______

Last edited by sephygoth : 09-09-2013 at 02:17 AM.
sephygoth is offline   Reply With Quote