Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #151
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

anime con = convention for people who like anime/have watched/read it at some point

Cosplaying at an anime con is not dictated by the cons theme, but by what you want to cosplay

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #152
Purified Ace
Ace Pendragon

Basically, if someone is getting all whiney about other people's costumes and calling people names and just being all around rude to people about what genre they're costuming...
they are at the con for wrong reasons.

What needs to be realized is that there is a difference in critique and bashing. Some people just need to be beaten until they understand it.

Ergo, the real title of this thread, as I feel it, should be:
"Jerks? At MY Anime Con?"
Purified Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #153
MissJava
Still broke. D:

What I don't understand is that we're a pretty small subculture filled with a lot of similar people; most of society doesn't quite understand our interest in dressing up in costumes and spending tons and tons of money on what they see as a waste of time and effort. Some people have their own friends and family discriminate them for these choices and for something that's supposed to be fun, people can get hurt. So why are we trying to break down our small subculture even more for others being a little bit different?? Isn't this what we've all experienced and basically loathed??

These aren't "Si-Fiers" or "furries" or "steampunkers", we're just people that basically want to escape from the norm for a few days and just relax and basically be ourselves without having to worry about being discriminated any further.

I'm not going to lie, I was reading the first post and it actually made me self conscious about my steampunk outfit I was making. To think that there's going to be someone there who's not going to like me just because of what I'm wearing, and out of all the places, at a nerd convention?? That's the LAST place we need this to happen.

It's just another really good way to make someone feel like they don't belong, and I definitely don't condone that and I don't think anyone in our community should, either.

[ this is a very broad statement, so take it for what it's worth and don't read too far into it, please. ]
MissJava is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #154
CyberxDae
It's in the water, Baby.

Wahh wahhh wahhh. Didnt your mother teach you not to exclude people? And hey- Let these idiots parade around wearing shit they can't even reference. I would much rather keep Cyber on the DL. Sell outs kill everything. |= Trufax.

x

[[...I am the "Who" when you call, "Who's there?"...]]
CyberxDae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #155
Morluna
Cyborg Seamstress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
I think it's insane for people to decide what is and isn't okay for other people to do at a place where your wearing purple spandex and rainbow wigs.

No one should have to validate themselves at a Convention.
^^^^ THIS. ^^^^

Here is my position on this issue. Personally I find this entire "steampunk has no place at anime cons" argument to be rather amusing. As a steampunk costumer who goes to many anime conventions every year, I've encountered it before. This is why it's funny to me:

I would argue that a large number of steampunk costumers are actually older anime fans (aged 25 - 40+ range) who have been going to anime conventions for years, in some cases... decades. In many cases, these are the people who founded and sponsored the early fledgling years of the very conventions that you now have the benefit of attending and enjoying year after year. So... for you to propose that they have no place at these events is somewhat hilarious to me.

Also, the idea that steampunks are going to hate on you for wearing anime cosplay at an anime con seems unlikely. Maybe you've just had the misfortune of meeting some less than friendly steampunk costumers... But my thought is... we're all nerds. Most of us are not just one type of nerd. I'm not JUST a steampunk costumer. I'm a comic book, anime, film, sci-fi, and fantasy fan too. *shrug* Why can't we all just get along?

Anachrocon: Feb 25 - 26
Momocon: March 12 - 13

My Cosplay Blog
Morluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #156
Alliekitten
Allie Kitten

If you try and gut the group (be purist) then the group dwindles and falls apart.

When there is a group of people into something that isn't a majority (in fact, very niche)
and you try and gut it because you don't want steampunkers, goths, etc showing up (and then technically, video game persons, or manga characters because it is an anime con) then you kill the scene and the convention.

To me, the scene is about people in that country (usa, canada, europe, japan, etc) expressing their interest and creating a big gathering with people of that interests. Don't htink of it as an 'anime only club', think of it as an 'anyone interested in anime club' which means all you need is to be interested in anime to show up.
If someone shows up dressed in fantasy clothes, or goth clothes (which, btw, is a fashion style some people wear 24/7 so getting mad at them is silly) then be happy that they showed up because they obviously are interested in anime and are keeping the scene alive.
Unread 03-17-2011, 12:32 AM   #157
daylight
Sugar Junkie

if they worked hard on a costume they're fine by me

doesn't matter much what they are dressed as. as long as they are enjoying themselves whats the harm?

besides, its a really cool fashion and always entertaining and interesting to see

Last edited by daylight : 03-28-2011 at 02:22 PM.
daylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #158
pltshp
i did what i have to do

I don't like steampunk. It just doesn't suit my aesthetic tastes. However, I have no issue with people wearing it at anime conventions - why not? Should they not be allowed to wear whatever they want? If I went in normal clothes, say a video game t-shirt and jeans, I don't think anybody should judge me for that. It's the same thing for steampunk, as I know some people actually wear it in their daily lives, so whatever.
pltshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #159
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Lolita fashion borrow from an Victorian Aesthetic? The very same aesthetic a lot of Steam Punk is based on.

In all honesty, the only way you can really do anything about your irritation about other things being at an anime convention is to simply not go. If you don't like it, you're the one with the problem so do us all a favor and solve it.

Or go to a con that focuses it's programming and masquerade purely on anime.

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 01:07 AM   #160
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

The OP and her cohorts seem to have left this thread long ago.

I think the rest of us are basically on the same page at this point.

Unread 03-18-2011, 03:29 AM   #161
Sutie

Here's the difference between anime conventions and sci-fi, treckie, star wars, comic, etc. conventions: It's extremely versatile and accepting.

"If you try and gut the group (be purist) then the group dwindles and falls apart."

This is why anime conventions continue to grow and have a future. Because EVERYONE can enjoy it. You see all kinds of genres of costumes at anime conventions unlike a lot of other similar conventions.
Sutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #162
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

I find smaller cons and non anime cons just as grandly accepting

Unread 03-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #163
ElleZee
Snip, snip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKax View Post
There actually was an Anime Film in 2004 where the theme was Steampunk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steamboy

So Steampunk is technically in Anime lol
I am sure you all saw at least a few episodes of Last Exile. That was completely steampunk and sci/fi all rolled into one.
ElleZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #164
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radleia View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Lolita fashion borrow from an Victorian Aesthetic? The very same aesthetic a lot of Steam Punk is based on.
They may be inspired by the same era but that doesn't make them the same thing. Just saying.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #165
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroSonyCat View Post
They may be inspired by the same era but that doesn't make them the same thing. Just saying.
No one said they were.

He was pointing out that if we allow Lolita, something inherently Western, why not allow Steampunk?

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote