Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-07-2011, 03:44 AM   #226
Neko.Oni
Furry and proud of it!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazItUp View Post
Neko I just want you to know I am having fun debating with you and in now way am I "upset" at you. Just to clarify =3

And Halloween is only once a year =( (while I could wear Rapunzel to a ren faire, let's say for the sake of the argument I don't have a ren faire) and people don't stop me and take pictures and stop me for conversation about it.... That's the part of a con I get that I don't get on halloween.

And as for obscure anime... I'm not an anime buff, while I love seeing obscure anime characters, I do not know every obscure anime but I do know Disney. So I just love seeing american cartoons and such. Also Avatar would thus be banned as well because of it's heritage.

And I don't personally wear my steam punk.... but honestly I know there has to be SOMEONE who does. Just like cyber goth and lolita.
I am enjoying it too, it's no nice not to have a "debate" where the main argument is "I disagree, Nya!" (though why someone would say they disagree then meow at me in Japanese I'm not sure lol)

Ren faires are becoming catch-all too it seems... I've seen a lot of furries at the atlanta faire in just normal fursuits not even trying to fit into the 'medieval' theme...

If you really wanted to show off there are also numerous online galleries. I know I post a lot of stuff to DA, and there's the gallery on here, as well as a hundred-million other online sites. (though I know it's not the same when someone says "nice costume" online as when they say it in-person...)

heh, we'd all be more than glad to introduce you to some obscure anime in the genres you like

oh of course, and there would be an argument on whether Afro Samurai was allowed either since it was drawn in japan but all audio was recorded in America.

That, imo, is what distinguises soemthign as a costume instead of jsut street clothes. Some people do push the envalope (I dont care, I WILL wear my tail in public every time I feel like it! :P) but you have to draw the line somewhere between fassion and costume, which is, as you said above, a reason lolita wouldnt be allowed on principal of it being a costume. The whole problem here is that it's a very muddy area where that line is drawn and honestly it's drawn at different places for different people. The original topic, Steampunk, could arguably be street clothes, while your example of rupunzel would not (though it might amsue that iirc there *IS* an anime about folk stories, so it might be considered anime...)
Neko.Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 11-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #227
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko.Oni View Post
I am enjoying it too, it's no nice not to have a "debate" where the main argument is "I disagree, Nya!" (though why someone would say they disagree then meow at me in Japanese I'm not sure lol)

Ren faires are becoming catch-all too it seems... I've seen a lot of furries at the atlanta faire in just normal fursuits not even trying to fit into the 'medieval' theme...

If you really wanted to show off there are also numerous online galleries. I know I post a lot of stuff to DA, and there's the gallery on here, as well as a hundred-million other online sites. (though I know it's not the same when someone says "nice costume" online as when they say it in-person...)

heh, we'd all be more than glad to introduce you to some obscure anime in the genres you like

oh of course, and there would be an argument on whether Afro Samurai was allowed either since it was drawn in japan but all audio was recorded in America.

That, imo, is what distinguises soemthign as a costume instead of jsut street clothes. Some people do push the envalope (I dont care, I WILL wear my tail in public every time I feel like it! :P) but you have to draw the line somewhere between fassion and costume, which is, as you said above, a reason lolita wouldnt be allowed on principal of it being a costume. The whole problem here is that it's a very muddy area where that line is drawn and honestly it's drawn at different places for different people. The original topic, Steampunk, could arguably be street clothes, while your example of rupunzel would not (though it might amsue that iirc there *IS* an anime about folk stories, so it might be considered anime...)
I have a dA and I have a coscom account. And unless your photo is beautiful and your costume pristine, it's VERY hard to get a comment on a website. And I think it means more to be to get a picture taken by a stranger and a compliment in person. But that's me. I like human interaction a lot as well as the internet, and Anime cons are the only place I can truly geek about about costumes to people in real life because I don't have many cosplay friends.

And I do see Steampunk and Dr Who at Ren faires.... I think it's kind of funny.

And while it's nice to be introduced to obscure anime, I'll never learn them all... nor would I want to because of my tastes. No one will ever know every anime. Which brings me to the idea, how on Earth would someone MONITOR a rule like this? Simple.... you can't. You just can't.... at least with large cons. The security doesn't know anime most often than not... they're just hired help, and it's doubtful the volunteers will be keeping their eyes peeled for anything outrageously non anime (and depending on their knowledge they might not even know) when there are more important things to focus on, like safety and rude and obnoxious con goers. Even if the rule was in place there would probably be some rule breakers to slip through unnoticed.

Ans lolita ISN'T costume it's fashion.... so likewise telling me I can't wear my regular clothes of lolita is basically banning all other types of dress outside of costume.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #228
Neko.Oni
Furry and proud of it!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazItUp View Post
I have a dA and I have a coscom account. And unless your photo is beautiful and your costume pristine, it's VERY hard to get a comment on a website. And I think it means more to be to get a picture taken by a stranger and a compliment in person. But that's me. I like human interaction a lot as well as the internet, and Anime cons are the only place I can truly geek about about costumes to people in real life because I don't have many cosplay friends.

And I do see Steampunk and Dr Who at Ren faires.... I think it's kind of funny.

And while it's nice to be introduced to obscure anime, I'll never learn them all... nor would I want to because of my tastes. No one will ever know every anime. Which brings me to the idea, how on Earth would someone MONITOR a rule like this? Simple.... you can't. You just can't.... at least with large cons. The security doesn't know anime most often than not... they're just hired help, and it's doubtful the volunteers will be keeping their eyes peeled for anything outrageously non anime (and depending on their knowledge they might not even know) when there are more important things to focus on, like safety and rude and obnoxious con goers. Even if the rule was in place there would probably be some rule breakers to slip through unnoticed.

Ans lolita ISN'T costume it's fashion.... so likewise telling me I can't wear my regular clothes of lolita is basically banning all other types of dress outside of costume.
Yeah, I hear ya, Outside of "wow that's freaky" I rarely get any comments on anything I post on DA... but the there are probably only a dozen or two people that see any given image unless they happen to find it in a search since DA is so active. On the other paw, at a con hundreds of people see you, so...

I'd *love* to hear the explanation of what The Doctor is doing at a ren faire.... some could make the argument that at the very end of the timeperiod was when the very beginning of steampunk started, so there is *just* enough overlap... but I think that would be stretching it (if you've not noticed, having a logical back-story is very important to me, in both situations like this and in actual anime/manga/games/etc)

I'm just saying that just because it's obscure doesnt mean it's not good. One of my favorites is "Irresponcible Captain Tylor" from which I stumbled on the much more obscure "Space Pirate Captain Harlock" which is just amazing because it's written on so many levels...

Well it would come down to "Name... character name... character series..." and you'd end up with these amusing conversations...

"character series?"
"kusoneko"
"ok, next..."
"...you do realize that instead of a series, that last girl just called you catshit, right?"
(lol)

Other than that kind of 'honor policy' it would come down to who could sneak in by looking the most anime. Sure major non-anime franchises could be kept out, but a lot would sneak in... unless you wanted to REALLY slow down registration and have the registrars go through AniDB or a similar site to see if the anime is listed...

That's an argument based on PoV. In my opinion, anything you dont wear regularly in the street is a "costume" so unless you regularly go out in the street in lolita, then it's still a costume for you, intended to be worn only at specific events.

((on a side note it might amuse you, I'm having a fun time playing "guess spaz's gender" here based on your posts, and between the fact that this site has so many male, female, and both-direction crossplay, I'm constantly going back and forth! lol)
Neko.Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #229
Hakaider
Sith Happens..
 
Hakaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,172
Quote:
And thats why you are seeing a lack of growth for a lot of cons. Whats the point in traveling hundreds of miles just attend a mediocre mish mash of a convention? Fans of certain genres will go far out of their way to attend functions where their genre is present.

I liken it to a great Italian restaurant that is on the other side of town. When your in the mood for great Italian food, no place is better, it is a long drive but worth it. However, would you still be willing to drive across town to go to a restaurant that is a buffet of Italian, mexican and chinese food? Would you really go out of your way for reheated so-so meatballs? Do the greasy tacos really make up for the lack of great Italian food?

Cosplayers who think they have the right to cosplay as anything anywhere anytime remind me of dog owners who think that its perfectly fine for them to bring their German Shepard anywhere they go. Parks, Picnics, outdoor bbq's, public events, concerts, renaissance festival, ect. In effect they think their rights trump whats going on around them.

I understand, there may be no harry potter convention near you. So does that mean that a star trek convention is an acceptable substitute? Go ahead and represent Hogwarts there, just don't be surprised if you attract unwanted attention.

You know, pinoycosplay, I really hate to say this, but you are getting a bit of a reputation for ranting against non-anime cosplays at anime conventions. You've started quite a few threads about it on the General Chat forum, and would post about it again on other threads. You first ranted againt Star Wars cosplayers at anime conventions in one of your threads, and I'm not surprised to see that you are now ranting against SteamPunk cosplayers at anime cons. (I also noticed that you also keep using the Micheal Jackson cosplay as an example of non-anime cosplay at anime cons, when in fact Micheal Jackson cosplays are extremely rare at many anime cons.)

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=248024

Quote:
I really don't like star wars. in fact you might say i am sick of it. it was a movie from 1977. get over it people.
-pinoycosplay

It would seem that you just detest the idea of non-anime cosplayers appearing at anime cons, and you have an ax to grind or a bone to pick with that idea. (Otherwise you wouldn't keep repeating that same rant.) I'm sure if you had your way, non-anime cosplays wouldn't be allowed at anime cons. Keep in mind though that, people aren't going to always like everything that you like, but it's not prudent to impose your very own cosplay standards on other people as to what you don't like at anime cons. (I know you detest Star Wars & Steampunk, but it doesn't mean that people should hate what you hate.)

I also think it's interesting that you would cosplay videogame characters at anime cons, when if you want to be really technical about it, they aren't anime either. You can either practice what you preach, and stop cosplaying video game characters at anime cons, or accept that non-anime cosplays are a part of anime cons. (They have been a part of it since the 1st very big North American anime con, AnimeCon 91 in 1991, so that's not going to change anytime soon. This was going on before you were born, and it's not going to change after you started attending anime cons recently.)

Incidentally, it is not up to you to decide for people as to what the definition of real "cosplay" is & what genre they can or can't cosplay at anime cons. (Unless you are running the con itself.) Nov Takahashi coined that term back in 1984, and not you. He coined that term after he returned from the Los Angeles Science Fiction World Convention in 1984. He wanted to create a catchier name to replace the word "costume", and he never intended for it to be just for anime, manga & video games cosplay only. In fact, in Japan, the word "cosplay" covers all costumes and that includes sci-fi, fantasy, steampunk, and historical costuming. (And yes, I saw Nov Takahashi in person at an anime con and I even got a live action "Zeiram" movie T-shirt from him. Very nice man.)

I strongly suggest that you should try to brush up on the history of anime cons, before ranting again about non-anime cosplays at anime cons. If you never been to Japan, I would suggest taking a trip in the future, and you can see for yourself, the variety of non-anime cosplays at the Comic Market.

Last edited by Hakaider : 11-07-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #230
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko.Oni View Post
Yeah, I hear ya, Outside of "wow that's freaky" I rarely get any comments on anything I post on DA... but the there are probably only a dozen or two people that see any given image unless they happen to find it in a search since DA is so active. On the other paw, at a con hundreds of people see you, so...

I'd *love* to hear the explanation of what The Doctor is doing at a ren faire.... some could make the argument that at the very end of the timeperiod was when the very beginning of steampunk started, so there is *just* enough overlap... but I think that would be stretching it (if you've not noticed, having a logical back-story is very important to me, in both situations like this and in actual anime/manga/games/etc)

I'm just saying that just because it's obscure doesnt mean it's not good. One of my favorites is "Irresponcible Captain Tylor" from which I stumbled on the much more obscure "Space Pirate Captain Harlock" which is just amazing because it's written on so many levels...

Well it would come down to "Name... character name... character series..." and you'd end up with these amusing conversations...

"character series?"
"kusoneko"
"ok, next..."
"...you do realize that instead of a series, that last girl just called you catshit, right?"
(lol)

Other than that kind of 'honor policy' it would come down to who could sneak in by looking the most anime. Sure major non-anime franchises could be kept out, but a lot would sneak in... unless you wanted to REALLY slow down registration and have the registrars go through AniDB or a similar site to see if the anime is listed...

That's an argument based on PoV. In my opinion, anything you dont wear regularly in the street is a "costume" so unless you regularly go out in the street in lolita, then it's still a costume for you, intended to be worn only at specific events.

((on a side note it might amuse you, I'm having a fun time playing "guess spaz's gender" here based on your posts, and between the fact that this site has so many male, female, and both-direction crossplay, I'm constantly going back and forth! lol)
I dunno if you've seen Dr. Who but he has a blue tardis (an english phone booth) that warps through time and space. Him ending up in a ren period isn't too far fetched xD

Oh I never meant to say obscure was bad! I just wouldn't count on me loving ALL of them. I like action anime, but I'm not a huge fan of Naruto.... kind of like that you know? I just can't expect myself to know or learn every anime either.

I think giving any of the attendees a reason to sit through another/longer line would be an awful idea o.o That would definitely be a way to lose business on their part... I mean aside from banning a ton of costumes.

Lolita's are very strict about their fashion... I don't think they HAVE to wear it all the time but I know there are girls who do. And if you wear/consider Lolita as a costume they REALLY look down on you or hate you for it. People do it, but it's still majorly a fashion and not a costume, considering it a costume is an offense to the lolis lol. I know plenty of people who dress in cyber goth as well, it just usually is more prominent at the cons. And you can't exactly say "you don't wear that in public....leave" because the staff can't make that accusation.

I think tossing out all the non anime things in general is silly... since having more vendors equals more money for the con. And happy attendees are returning attendees. I understand the want of panels being anime pertinent, and the masquerade. But removing non anime things would consider the raves gone too....wouldn't they? And people love the raves.

Lol do want to keep guessing my gender or do you want me to tell you?

EDIT- Welcome to the debate Hakaider!

And thank you for bringing up that cosplay was born in America. It was something that I forgot to bring up but I wanted to.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'

Last edited by BlondieSundae : 11-07-2011 at 04:58 PM.
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #231
Neko.Oni
Furry and proud of it!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazItUp View Post
I dunno if you've seen Dr. Who but he has a blue tardis (an english phone booth) that warps through time and space. Him ending up in a ren period isn't too far fetched xD

Oh I never meant to say obscure was bad! I just wouldn't count on me loving ALL of them. I like action anime, but I'm not a huge fan of Naruto.... kind of like that you know? I just can't expect myself to know or learn every anime either.

I think giving any of the attendees a reason to sit through another/longer line would be an awful idea o.o That would definitely be a way to lose business on their part... I mean aside from banning a ton of costumes.

Lolita's are very strict about their fashion... I don't think they HAVE to wear it all the time but I know there are girls who do. And if you wear/consider Lolita as a costume they REALLY look down on you or hate you for it. People do it, but it's still majorly a fashion and not a costume, considering it a costume is an offense to the lolis lol. I know plenty of people who dress in cyber goth as well, it just usually is more prominent at the cons. And you can't exactly say "you don't wear that in public....leave" because the staff can't make that accusation.

I think tossing out all the non anime things in general is silly... since having more vendors equals more money for the con. And happy attendees are returning attendees. I understand the want of panels being anime pertinent, and the masquerade. But removing non anime things would consider the raves gone too....wouldn't they? And people love the raves.

Lol do want to keep guessing my gender or do you want me to tell you?

EDIT- Welcome to the debate Hakaider!

And thank you for bringing up that cosplay was born in America. It was something that I forgot to bring up but I wanted to.
Actually the tardis (Time And Relative Dimensions In Space) is a living crystal with 2 shells, the outer shell uses a "chameleon circuit" that got broken many many many years back, and such the tardis is "stuck" in the visage of a police call box (or well originally was, I want to say the 5th(?) Doctor fixed it but it's stayed that way because he "liked it like that" (and because BBC didnt want to keep building new Tardis shells). And yes, I suppose you could use that argument since he did pop up several times, including once when he saved and inspired Shakespeare... (I'm a major fan of the new series, but never saw the classics)

heh general rule I've found: if it was brought to America it's not worth watching (only exceptions I found were FMA (both series) and so far the original (sub'd) Dragonball (not gotten to Z, GT, and AF, so I cant comment on them). I thought Bleach and One-Piece were gonna be good but after a while they flopped too...)

Eh, now your approaching a completely different aspect, Anime as a Fandom vs Anime as a Business. Yes, from a business perspective, it's best to let it become a catch-all, the few purists you lose will be FAR outnumbered by all the others you gain. (Though I'd like to point out that, at least in the Furry world, most cons are NFP (Not For Profit) so once they cover expenses it doesn't matter if they get a single attendee over that minimum as far as the $$$ goes --- don't know if that's the same for Anime cons or not...)

Now that is very interesting, I had no idea lolita was as much a culture as a fassion... from a sociological point of view that sounds like something worth more research on my part... (I love dabbling in social science now and again, almost as much fun as quantum science)

I've seen a few goths around, even in this highly conservative area I live in (though so far they're all 'perky goths' in it for the fashion, not the culture, but...) so yes, that does arguably make goth/cybergoth "street clothes"

Ultimately as much as I like the idea of anime cons being pure anime it's impossible IRL because too many lines get blurred with certain aspects, and if Cons are Profit businesses it *IS* a case of making money so that wont change anytime soon, no matter how many fans get pissed at seeing Storm Troopers at the con... While I will concede you are right in application, in theory there is still a lot that I think should be changed - at the very least Anime cons should revolve around Japanese culture/influence but the cash of the many outweighs the cash of the few

heh let me guess first. I'm guessing your actually female but you do a lot of crossplays (I came into this thinking you were male but ultimately I've decided your female) am I right? (for the record I have not looked at your profile or any pics you have posted, this is all purely based on your forum posts)

I am honestly suprised that America invented cosplay...
Neko.Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #232
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko.Oni View Post
Actually the tardis (Time And Relative Dimensions In Space) is a living crystal with 2 shells, the outer shell uses a "chameleon circuit" that got broken many many many years back, and such the tardis is "stuck" in the visage of a police call box (or well originally was, I want to say the 5th(?) Doctor fixed it but it's stayed that way because he "liked it like that" (and because BBC didnt want to keep building new Tardis shells). And yes, I suppose you could use that argument since he did pop up several times, including once when he saved and inspired Shakespeare... (I'm a major fan of the new series, but never saw the classics)

heh general rule I've found: if it was brought to America it's not worth watching (only exceptions I found were FMA (both series) and so far the original (sub'd) Dragonball (not gotten to Z, GT, and AF, so I cant comment on them). I thought Bleach and One-Piece were gonna be good but after a while they flopped too...)

Eh, now your approaching a completely different aspect, Anime as a Fandom vs Anime as a Business. Yes, from a business perspective, it's best to let it become a catch-all, the few purists you lose will be FAR outnumbered by all the others you gain. (Though I'd like to point out that, at least in the Furry world, most cons are NFP (Not For Profit) so once they cover expenses it doesn't matter if they get a single attendee over that minimum as far as the $$$ goes --- don't know if that's the same for Anime cons or not...)

Now that is very interesting, I had no idea lolita was as much a culture as a fassion... from a sociological point of view that sounds like something worth more research on my part... (I love dabbling in social science now and again, almost as much fun as quantum science)

I've seen a few goths around, even in this highly conservative area I live in (though so far they're all 'perky goths' in it for the fashion, not the culture, but...) so yes, that does arguably make goth/cybergoth "street clothes"

Ultimately as much as I like the idea of anime cons being pure anime it's impossible IRL because too many lines get blurred with certain aspects, and if Cons are Profit businesses it *IS* a case of making money so that wont change anytime soon, no matter how many fans get pissed at seeing Storm Troopers at the con... While I will concede you are right in application, in theory there is still a lot that I think should be changed - at the very least Anime cons should revolve around Japanese culture/influence but the cash of the many outweighs the cash of the few

heh let me guess first. I'm guessing your actually female but you do a lot of crossplays (I came into this thinking you were male but ultimately I've decided your female) am I right? (for the record I have not looked at your profile or any pics you have posted, this is all purely based on your forum posts)

I am honestly suprised that America invented cosplay...
Welp you've seen much more Dr. Who than I have! (admittedly I have only seen three episodes and my friend has told me about it, frankly I was only surmising what I heard/gathered... and I genuinely thought the tardis was a phone booth lol) xD But good you know about Dr. Who to understand why he could be in a ren period lol

Go check our EGL board and google it I'm sure you'll learn quite a bit =3

And I' glad you're looking at the entire "anime cons should just be anime" from a logical standpoint instead of "IT SHOULD JUST BE THIS WAY" it's refreshing to have a logical and civil debate.

I am female and I've done one crossplay and plan to do much more, however, I'm quite tomboyish so I suppose that's why my typing style is more masculine.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #233
Neko.Oni
Furry and proud of it!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazItUp View Post
Welp you've seen much more Dr. Who than I have! (admittedly I have only seen three episodes and my friend has told me about it, frankly I was only surmising what I heard/gathered... and I genuinely thought the tardis was a phone booth lol) xD But good you know about Dr. Who to understand why he could be in a ren period lol

Go check our EGL board and google it I'm sure you'll learn quite a bit =3

And I' glad you're looking at the entire "anime cons should just be anime" from a logical standpoint instead of "IT SHOULD JUST BE THIS WAY" it's refreshing to have a logical and civil debate.

I am female and I've done one crossplay and plan to do much more, however, I'm quite tomboyish so I suppose that's why my typing style is more masculine.
lol, if you like the series, wikipedia can fill you in on most of the back-story, if you want more than that, there are a LOT of fansites. NOTHING in Dr Who is simple. Nothing.

I'll take a look sometime, not being particularily interested in Lolita outside of a scientific view It likely wont be anytime soon lol, but thanks for pointing it out, I had no idea it was a culture.

Indeed, especially on the internet where 2/3 of the time the debate ends with "NO U!" >.< I'd like to thank you for the civility and taking time to address and back up your points. If your ever down my way or I'm up yours I'll buy you a beer (or whatever your preference is)

Makes sense. Also makes me feel better that I'm starting to be able to guess people's gender better lol
Neko.Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #234
Lightning Baron
School of Puzzle Fighter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 792
I think steam punk has a lot to do with anime. There are several Anime movies and series that are steam punk. Cyber punk should be included as well, there are several cyber punk Animes as well. On the grounds that both are costuming/cosplay which is a big part of the Anime culture they should not be turned away.

Some anime that are Steam punk:
Steam boy
Steam Detectives
Sakura wars (never saw it but giant robots powered by steam)
Samurai 7 (the anime series based on 7 samurai)
Last Exile
Trigun
(there is more but some of the one I have seen)

Cyber punk Anime:
A little show called Ghost in the Shell.
Akira (possibly the Anime the started the anime crazy for us)
lain
bubble gum crisis
Battle Angel Alita
Bio Booster Armor Guyver

Actually is a go though both the lists for Cyberpunk and Steampunk anime many of the good anime fall into these categories. I feel that both should totally be a part of a anime convention, if not mandatory.
__________________
I am the Messenger! I can not be stopped!

http://lightning--baron.deviantart.com/
Lightning Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #235
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered
 
Volnixshin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoycosplay View Post
9) I really don't like star wars. in fact you might say i am sick of it. it was a movie from 1977. get over it people.

People still cosplay Jesus, and that guy came out over 2,000 years ago!
Get over it people!
__________________
01001000011000010110100101101100001000000100001101 001111010000100101001001000001


Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf

Last edited by Volnixshin : 12-21-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #236
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volnixshin View Post
People still cosplay Jesus, and that guy came out over 2,000 years ago!
Get over it people!
Your posts are gold
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #237
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered
 
Volnixshin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Baron View Post
I feel that both should totally be a part of a anime convention, if not mandatory.
Mandatory you say?


Keep your totalitarian views away!
__________________
01001000011000010110100101101100001000000100001101 001111010000100101001001000001


Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf

Last edited by Volnixshin : 12-22-2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Or we'll blow up Parliment
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #238
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen
 
mokulen22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,108
If it wasn't for SteamPunk being at Anime Con I wouldn't even know about it. I fell in love with it (so guess which side I'm on).

My only thing with steampunk being at an anime convention is I don't believe they should be involved in the masquerade unless they are from an anime-related series. This is only fair as I'm sure a Scifi con-goers wouldn't want to see an original Lolita entering theirs.
__________________
Commission Website HERE
DA A ton of Plushie Making Guides
mokulen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #239
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered
 
Volnixshin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,215
Different cons have different masq rules. Some say its only anime, and others say if you took the time and preperation on your costumes and skits, then by all means


I mostly go to steampunk events as per my occupation, and I can tell you, most of the SP community loves seeing anime/lolita/what have you performers,




especially that Freddy cosplayer at the Burlesque



OMFG HOT
__________________
01001000011000010110100101101100001000000100001101 001111010000100101001001000001


Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #240
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair
 
supergeekgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoycosplay View Post
See you've fallen into the logic trap of saying some things shouldn't be cosplayed at certain places. It is simply your judgement call that determines that anime conventions are "general" while star wars conventions are "specific" If a steampunked "Old Spice Guy" is welcome at an anime con, then why isn't he welcome at a star trek convention? Your position is now difficult to defend.

As other people have said, maybe the "old spice guy" is a big star trek fan but just can't afford a star trek outfit. Why are you saying "intolerance" is fine at a star trek convention?

I've always said people can wear whatever they want, I just don't like the notion that any cosplay style is welcome anytime, anyplace, anywhere as some claim. Example: "Oh there is an Irish festival with people dressed as Irish river dancers and in traditional Irish garments? sounds like the perfect place for my new Miku Hatsune outfit"
Coming back this thread as apparently my convention is one of the ones bringing the "anime brand" down (though, as you can see on our website, we do not call ourselves an anime convention as such and prefer to be a pop culture convention geared toward a younger crowd first and foremost with a major focus on Japanese culture). Our goal as a convention is not to make more money but to provide immersive events. From the beginning, we have allowed those events to branch out from the realm of typical anime cons into areas of interest to anime con-goers (including BJDs, Batman, steampunk, traditional Japanese culture, Harry Potter, fairies, and other topics).

A lot of people on these boards have a strange idea of what goes on at single-topic conventions (Star Trek, Harry Potter, Doctor Who, etc.). As a person who attends single-topic cons and has run a couple in the past, I think I can provide a bit of insight.

One, as many on here have already said, most cons are not about making money. The reason they branch out is probably as simple as someone requesting they have an event on somesuch-a-topic. They aren't doing what a company does and saying, "Hey, we could make more money if we did this!" Instead, it's more like, "Hey, a bunch of people wish they could do this at our con. Let's make it happen!"

Two, many single-topic cons ARE for-profit. Remember the Twilight conventions that so many people were attending a couple years ago? You know some of those cons for specific series where they get lots of the actors there and just herd people back and forth between panels (another thing I'll get to later)? Those are mostly for-profit conventions. Cosplay is unimportant and actually kind of rare at those cons. There's generally no masquerade and little hall cosplay. Sometimes that's because it's a tough series to cosplay, but mostly it's because the attendees are going with two goals in mind - meet the celebrities and get autographs.

Three, single topic cons really ARE about a single topic. Let's set Star Trek aside here because we're going to go back to it in a moment. For now, let's think about Supernatural. There are conventions for Supernatural which a friend of mine attends regularly. The con staff has actors from the series appear at each convention to host panels on their work in the series. They run a costume contest for Supernatural costumes. They have a Supernatural trivia contest. They have karaoke. They're also run by Creation Entertainment, a company that hosts for-profit single topic conventions. Creation's goal is to get people who like Supernatural and want autographs from Supernatural stars to attend their Supernatural conventions. When Supernatural stops netting them the profit they need, they'll drop those conventions and add some other cons to their line-up. Beyond that, there are single topic fan conventions like my own Escape from Outer Heaven. These tend to be small events until where fans of a specific series socialize and host panels on the topic of the con. Planning tends to be done collectively to include events or panels about specific aspects of the series or hobby, and the focus is mainly to socialize with people who have something in common with you. At smaller cons like this, costuming tends to be limited but generally related to the series in question. You see this at Chicago TARDIS where people who want to show off their Doctor Who costumes go mostly in DW stuff (though there are exceptions).

Four, actually, not all seemingly single topic cons have stayed that way. Trek Expo, a Star Trek con in Tulsa, OK, has become a media meet and greet with actors from other science fiction series such as Firefly, Eureka, Lost, and Babylon 5 on their guest list. Yeah, it started with Trek, but Trek fans liked other stuff and requested more and more guests from other series. Viola! The con gave it to them! And don't even get me started on San Diego Comic Con... All of that said, it's not a bad thing for a con to drift. Yes, some fans may be angry that it is no longer "pure", but the majority will be happy. If they aren't, the con will wither and die.

Five, single topic cons are rarer and more expensive that anime cons and science fiction cons. Generally, you're paying between $30 and $70 for an anime con but between $50 and $300 for a single topic con, especially if it's got a lot of celebrities attending. Even small single topic events with few or no celebrities tend to cost more because they attract such a small crowd. For this reason, people who are not huge fans of the series tend not to go, and naturally, you see very few costumes that aren't relevant to the topic. If someone just wants to go to a con to show off his costume, he's not going to pay $200 to attend a con about Twilight. Instead, he'll pay $40 to attend his local anime con.

Six, anime is not a single topic. In fact, when have you been to an anime convention that didn't include video games and manga? Anime cons sprang from anime programming at science fiction cons. So yeah, at first, when there wasn't a lot of anime coming into the country, and anime cons were a way for like-minded individuals to gather, they were kind of single topic. They drifted. Their fan base grew as anime became mainstream and available. People started attending, liked the atmosphere, and (yeah, I guess you could call it this) caused the cons to drift in focus as they started liking other things. Other subcultures sprang out of anime fandom - video gamers, a new hoard of slash fans, cosplayers, and others. Like science fiction conventions before them, they turned into an amalgam of many interests. What holds most anime cons together is an underlying interest in Japanese culture.

So let's stop bringing Star Trek conventions into the argument when whining about what should and shouldn't be allowed at an anime con. To summarize, single topic Trek cons are expensive to attend and focus on Star Trek because, generally, they are for-profit celebrity meet and greet events. For that reason, few people go who are not dedicated to meeting Star Trek actors. Thus, there is little costuming at all compared to anime cons and few people who costume outside the topic because they are there less to absorb the atmosphere than to meet Star Trek actors. Since the costume contests there are focused on the topics of the conventions (if there are costume contests at all), the more elaborate costumes all tend to the convention topic. These cons are also smaller than most anime cons, so there is less of a percentage wanting to do costumes outside of the established topic.

Does that help?
__________________
Cons 2014 - Ahn!Con | Kawa Kon | Wizard World St. Louis | Costume-Con | Marcon | Cosplacon | Dragon*Con | Archon | Chicago TARDIS
In Progress- Cecil from Welcome to Night Vale | Jonathan Strange from Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell | Madeline Westen from Burn Notice
Misha's Costumes in Progress- Mr Norrell from Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.