Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #256
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Have yet to get in to steampunk, working on it but still not done. It'll take awhile =/ But thanks for the forum site, it would def help on ideas for steampunk (still new).

But thanks, hopefully I can attend more cons in the future, jobs are just hard to find. =(
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #257
siliconsaint

Anime seems to include steam punk elements in a variety of ways. The more the merrier
siliconsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #258
TimeWitch

My opinion? If you don't like it ignore them. I hear folks argue over different anime and manga styles. So you want Steampunk references? Try Dr. Who, Sherlock Holmes and Avatar Korra...just for a few. The whole anime manga craze was started by those of us (Old yes) who dared to buy this genre which was back then sold only in Japanese when it wasn't cool. Live and let live...most importantly live!
TimeWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #259
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

Why are you reviving this thread? 100% of the people here don't mind if they see -punk at cons. The OP left the site last year

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #260
Khos
Impossible doesn't exist.

The way I see it, an Anime Convention is not a place where people go specifically to dress up in anime costumes. An Anime Convention is a place made specifically for anime fans to gather and enjoy each other's company and shared fandom. The dressing up thing is just an extra. What each fan decides to wear is their own business. I think people are starting to take cosplay (something extra that's there just for fun!) a little tooooo seriously.

I just saw Jack Sparrow, Doctor Who, and George Washington all at an Anime Convention. I thought it was all beautiful. There were a few Steampunks there and I was giddy to have finally seen my first Steampunk costume in person.

Edit: Oh damn. This is an old thread? My bad. -scuttles off in shame-

MTAC 2013 -
Usagi Tsukino - Friday
Pink Ball Gown (Friday Night)
??? - Saturday
??? - Sunday

Last edited by Khos : 06-15-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Khos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #261
PrimitivArtific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexation View Post
As more groups join the anime bandwagon, there's more, let's say, turf wars.
It's a festering breeding ground for drama. And while I try not to let it take away from my overall con experience, I feel like fewer and fewer of these incoming fans are really there for the con.

The anime "bandwagon" has exploded since I was young. I remember the days when you went to a con and everyone, and I mean everyone, was a hardcore fan. Anime was hard to find in the US and you had to really go out of your way to get it and to involve yourself so deeply in it's culture. We were the kids who hid out in the basement to watch those weird cartoons that we got so much shit for. Oh those were the days.

Now anime cons are largely populated by yougin's with a half-assed fandom largely pulled from the growing number of series aired on American networks and various forums on the net.

Of course it's a breeding ground for drama, a majority of con goers are teens and that is what children do. The variation in styles is simply the excuse. What's more, I highly doubt these steampunk/whatever cosplayers paid money to hang out at a con they have no real interest in. They do have cons much more geared toward the steampunk subculture.

And yes, part of this is just me complaining of the change in demographic but it is this change that has increased the amount of drama. It's the people who create the drama, not their costumes.
PrimitivArtific is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #262
TwistedFate108
Kill it with fire!

Okay, I'm pretty much just starting out on cosplay and cons, but really? What happened to having fun at these events? I may just throw together some costume, but I want to dress up as something you know? I do appreciate the people who put their time and money into their costumes, and I shouldn't be getting butt hurt over this on the internet, but it kinda hurts when people look down on store bought costumes. I'm sorry but I don't know how to sew, and I've been trying desperately to find classes around here who will show me.

I would love to make my own costumes someday, but right now I don't know how since classes aren't availible in my area. Why can't we just appreciate everyone's costume? Store bought or not? I've never had my picture taken before at a con. I mean I'd like to have that experience, but it hasn't happened. Whatever. I just love to dress up as something and go to a con and have fun. Even if I don't get tons of people gushing over my outfit. For the people who work VERY hard on their costumes and don't get much attention, then I say it's their loss. Just don't blame it on the quickly thrown together people.

I bet they're just like me, on a tight budget and not very skilled. Just wanting to dress up and have fun at a con. This forum has opened my eyes however. At first I thought it was just about dressing up as your favorite character and having fun at a con. Now it's just, "Who has the better costume?" -_-

I'm crazy and you know it
Total killjoy right here *points to self*
TwistedFate108 is offline   Reply With Quote