Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #16
Legatosgurl
I am a BANANA!!!!

I personally don't mind Steampunk at anime cons, considering that everytime we're at a con, we always find Video Game and TV show characters wandering around. Dr. Who, Dr. Horrible, it dosen't matter. They're there, and most times people don't even blink. I don't see why we'd have an issue with steampunk, especially seeing as it has it's basis in Japanese culture. Steamboy, Astro Boy, Full Metal Alchemist... I have other examples, but can't recall them at the moment. Still. The point stands.

Final Fantasy - Physics not included.

Cosplay 2012:
MLP: DJ PON 3
Soul Eater: Tsubaki
Legatosgurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #17
Leon_Redfield
Resident Licker

I don't mind it at all, but it's been getting way more attention then it should be lately.

No offense to anyone at all, but I was a little miffed when me and a bunch of buddies painstakingly put together our costumes and grouped together only to have VERY FEW photos of us taken; meanwhile a group across from us got THOUSANDS of photos taken because they had Nerf guns and backpacks spray painted copper colored with simple LEDs and cogs glued to them.

Once again. No offense. But it's a little depressing to me when that happens, I spend hours and hours making a costume...just to be upstaged by someone who threw theirs together in 20 minutes.
Leon_Redfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #18
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legatosgurl View Post
...especially seeing as it has it's basis in Japanese culture.

I'm pretty sure Steampunk (even in Japanese anime/manga) draws the bulk of its inspiration from European literature and Victorian culture.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #19
Nekko
Future Companion

A wise person once said * Really why judge others? When are all just nerds in costume?*

Would you really deny Convention Jesus? And let Manfaye walk uninhibited?
Nekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #20
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekko View Post
Would you really deny Convention Jesus? And let Manfaye walk uninhibited?
Even Jesus can not save us from Manfaye.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #21
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexation View Post
I don't go to a rock concert expecting to see country music, why, by god, should I go to an anime convention expectin sci-fi?

Again, I'm all for live and let live. But it's something I'll eyetwitch about and then go on my happy way.

I just wanted to see if I was the only darned person that thought this way.
There's a difference between buying tickets for a band and shallowness over other peoples fandom.

That is what makes me eye twitch. From now on I'll be sure to only kawaii-desu in the appropriate atmosphere.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #22
RedYume
Red Obsessed

Steam Punk at Anime Cons

Quote:
Starters: Do they fit in anime cons? Why or why not? Shouldn't they be more at sci-fi cons?
My initial thought is that no, they don't belong at Anime conventions. However when I thought it over for a bit, I admit that I changed my stance. I do think they belong at Anime cons as well as sci-fi cons and western comic conventions as well. I think it will be more at sci-fi cons ANYWAY, given that is its predominant genre.

So, why did I change my mind? There are actually several reasons. First, Japanese Anime does not always focus around Japanese themes. Just as American movies aren't always about cowboys and Indians or the infamous "OC". There are actually a lot of Anime titles which ARE science fiction in genre as well as a good smattering which embody the European flair associated with Steam Punk. Steam Boy, Kuroshitsuji, Rose of Versailles and others immediately come to mind- though if you gave me an hour or so I could come up with a very long list. Some are more "steam powered" than others- but each is decidedly NOT Asian.

Along the topic of being "steam powered" or perhaps not so steam powered (as the case may be), I like to take into consideration the novel idea of no-canon costumes. For instance, Kuroshitsuji takes place in Victorian England (HIGHLY recommended btw) and has all the ribbons, bows, top hats and canes associated with that delightful era. While there are a great number of costumes to make that ARE canon (especially with Ciel), it is not a far jump to err... make it steamy? (BAD pun, I know I know... forgive).

But I am crossing and mixing, not taking the genuine article into consideration when I talk about non-canon costumes with steam-themes. So, let's cover that as well. Completely aside from Anime that do have costume reflecting steam punk themes, anime conventions are probably the largest venue for cosplay of all varieties. Not only that, but probably the MOST varied of the cosplay venues- ranging from leather and lace to velvet and velcro. Anime fans "GET IT" when it comes to costumes.
It isn't Halloween, it isn't dress up, it is art craft and SPORT. I think this is particularly appealing to the Steam Punk crowd because of this. That... and at non-anime venues... you can only see so many slave princess Leias before you start to lose appreciation for all the hard work that goes into making the costumes. (This is NOT to say that costume is easy to make... it isn't. But when you see about 200 of them in a day, you start not caring that the owner probably spent 100 work hours on it).

Quote:
Furthermore, to those that say no to the first question, do you also dislike scifi cosplay at anime cons and vice versa?
Not at all. I love questioning wookies to find out where they found the right fur and a really GOOD crew of Star Trek ship jockeys make for awesome photos. You never know what valuable information these people have about their costumes and you never know what photo ops it will give you. Some of the very best cosplay photos I have EVER seen (or at least the most original) mix, match, and mash things together. Captain Kirk meets Vocaloid anyone? Come on, epic win! Or finding a new and better way to attach those vulcan (or eeeelven) ears and do up your eyebrows like they could take over a small planet on their OWN... AWESOME.
I would rather see sci-fi mix with anime and steam punk mix with both rather than see poorly made costumes of ANY genre run around. Am I a snob, maybe I am. But effort gets more points from me than anything else. If you look like a million bucks or a hundred million yen... it doesn't matter WHAT your costume is from, you look AMAZING!
However, if you look like the dollar menu at McDonald's... I'll probably be quite critical (to myself, I do not sit there and criticize!) even if you are the most animeish anime ANIME wrapped in a manga sandwich who speaks fluent Japanese, lives on ramen and is certified to make 20 different varieties of sushi using a katana. I know... I'm going overboard, again please forgive- I'm just being dramatic in my point making.

Quote:
Me, I don't think Steampunk really fits at anime cons. Anime cons have a general eastern/asian focus and I've yet to hear of any Asian steampunk goers.
Please see above. American Comics and cartoons aren't just Super Man and The Incredible Hulk, Anime isn't just Inu Yasha and Rurouni Kenshin.

That, and there was an Asian Steam Punk cosplayer at Anime Conji who was ABSOLUTELY divine. He was just... beautiful.
Yeah, he was at an Anime Convention, but he was QUITE Steam Punk. I was thoroughly impressed.

Quote:
One particular chip I have on my shoulder--a covention turned down a Cybergoth fashion panel claiming it was not 'anime' enough, but let in steampunk. I raged.
Now what happened there... was wrong in my opinion. I would have to say that in their own ways, each style is equally Anime-esque, or NOT (as the case may be). If there was room, then both panels should have been allowed. If not, then it should have been first come, first serve. The excuse of "not close enough to the mark" is pretty poor taste.
However, that is on the discretion of the convention organizers- and there lies the problem. Just like some people believe that Anime revolves exclusively around ASIAN themes, there are people who take the same sort of slanted liberties with gothic, punk, lolita, Victorian, and just about any style of costume (or CLOTHING... don't jump on me guys. I know this isn't ALL costumes. Some choose these looks as lifestyle, I get it).

In the end, we all go to the conventions for the same overall reason. We all create and craft our art to share and show, to have the beauty seen and in turn to behold the beauty of what others have created. I think to segregate that is a terrible shame. We belong together not because we are all Anime, or all Sci-Fi, or all Marvel and DC heroes. We belong together because we create, we perform, and we wish to be around others who can appreciate what we do.

A note on photo shoots. I can understand how there may be some frustration when you're the ONLY Steam Punk hovering at an Anime Convention. It means you have no one to pose with and you probably won't get the attention of the grouped up series stars. Likewise, at a sci-fi convention, if you're the only adorable maid- you probably won't get many shots either. My advice, buck up, group up, and bring your own costumed companions to show just how amazing you are. Or... there is always cross overs!

Ok, I have said my long winded piece here. I can't wait to see what other people think!
Grell Sutcliff - Human/Living (Birdcage Dounjinshi Variant) 100%
Grell Sutcliff - Shinigami 100%
Grell Sutcliff - Blood Blossom 100%
Grell Sutcliff - Circus 100%
Sebastian Michaelis - Circus 100%
Sebastian Michaelis - Gentleman 100%
Inu Yasha
Shippo - Adult 100%
WeiB Kreuz
Farfarello - Canon 100%
Farfarello - Bloody Valentine 100%

and the list goes on... and on... and on...

Last edited by RedYume : 06-08-2010 at 06:27 PM.
RedYume is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #23
Leadmill
Looks good in uniform...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon_Redfield View Post
I don't mind it at all, but it's been getting way more attention then it should be lately.

No offense to anyone at all, but I was a little miffed when me and a bunch of buddies painstakingly put together our costumes and grouped together only to have VERY FEW photos of us taken; meanwhile a group across from us got THOUSANDS of photos taken because they had Nerf guns and backpacks spray painted copper colored with simple LEDs and cogs glued to them.

Once again. No offense. But it's a little depressing to me when that happens, I spend hours and hours making a costume...just to be upstaged by someone who threw theirs together in 20 minutes.
So what your saying is that Steampunk should be marginalised, because you're jealous of the attention that you feel is yours by right?

Current Cosplay Projects
Nights Watch Brother (Game of Thrones) - 70%
Shy Guy (Mario Warfare) - 90%
Leadmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #24
CezzaXV
OOOH! SHOCK TREATMENT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon_Redfield View Post

I think that's always gonna be an issue though, not just because it's steampunk. I've been to a few informal mini cons in my area, and I always spend weeks, if not months on my costumes. One time, someone won who wasn't even wearing a costume, and a second time a girl won who was wearing a black top and leggings and pipe cleaners on her head with the Heartless symbol on her chest. She didn't even know who she was meant to be, she had to ask her sister who was the KH fan.

Even within the anime fandom, I still get a little miffed when the massive Naruto groups get all the camera attention when it's obvious most of them just bought their costumes. Let it go. People like what they like. It's nothing personal.
Unread 06-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #25
Legatosgurl
I am a BANANA!!!!

Kiratsukai - I agree, though perhaps one of the causes of it's current popularity (at cons especially) is due to the aforementioned anime, and others. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in my initial post.

Also, don't a lot of cosplayers share the sentiment about photo-jealousy? What about the Anime cosplayers who spent hundreds of hours on their outfits being ignored due to the video game cosplayers who happen to have LEDs? (Just an example)

Final Fantasy - Physics not included.

Cosplay 2012:
MLP: DJ PON 3
Soul Eater: Tsubaki
Legatosgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #26
Inked~Wrong
CLEAN MY SHOE!

I think the problem that leon_redfield brought up is valid, really.

I dislike people that put no effort into their costumes. Cyber included--and cosplay. And the fact that just cause it's lol steampunk it gets more pictures than someone that's acutally putting work into everything. people use steampunk often as an excuse to be lazy. Not all but some, and it leaves a bad taste in our mouths.

And I, like vex, pay to go to an anime con to see anime and other japan related things. i'm not a fan of steampunk so if i'm biased, sue me.

Oh, and her title was a meme reference. You tell -us- to lighten up.
Unread 06-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #27
ashelia89
Visiting Gran Pulse

steam punk ? ive been reading of this term here and there (i havent looked up the official definition of it but reading about it here ...its a fashion ?)...

i personally like dressing up as much as i can..if i had the chance to attend a con id appreciate seeing all sorts of costumes and interests...as most folks have said here...

theres too many conditions to cosplay for some people from what ive been reading back and forth...the point of the hobby is to be happy and share different interests and just all around enjoy being in the community...not restrict our chances of having folks join our communities

Edit -i got to read a small tid bit online along with the reference of RedYume...this sounds cool...

this is however my 2 cents...
The Hume's ever skew history's weave. With haste they move through too-short lives. Driven to err by base desires, towards waste and wasting on they run. Undying, we Occuria light the path for wayward sons of man. Oft did we pass judgment on them so that Ivalice might endure. Eternal, we are hist'ry's stewards, to set the course and keep it true. The chosen is our hand - our fist - to let live some and to crush the rest.

Last edited by ashelia89 : 06-09-2010 at 06:46 AM. Reason: add more to post
ashelia89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #28
Pink Bunnie CP
Pink Bunnie Ink

Conventions are a place where you can express your self I don't think we can discriminate against what some one enjoys wearing even if it's an anime con.

I enjoy steam punk and have designed a steam punk collection but I tend to only wear anime or video game costumes to a convention but my friends have worn my steam punk clothes at conventions and everyone seems to enjoy them ^_^.
Pink Bunnie CP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #29
Leadmill
Looks good in uniform...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inked~Wrong View Post
I think the problem that leon_redfield brought up is valid, really.

I dislike people that put no effort into their costumes. Cyber included--and cosplay. And the fact that just cause it's lol steampunk it gets more pictures than someone that's acutally putting work into everything. people use steampunk often as an excuse to be lazy. Not all but some, and it leaves a bad taste in our mouths.

And I, like vex, pay to go to an anime con to see anime and other japan related things. i'm not a fan of steampunk so if i'm biased, sue me.

This picture jealously thing is hilarious. Are some people so vapid, so attention seeking, that the mere fact someone else is getting more photos than you predjudice you to a whole sub culture? You want to compete with whatever is the big thing right now? Then up your game! These days a shitty wig, a robe, and a cardboard/tinfoil sword won't compete with bigger and better costumes.

Cosplay is about fun, some people like the competitive element, others still like the social networking oppertunities with like minded people. But if people are going to whine about lack of photos etc then they need to look at what they can do to make people actually want to photograph them. Modern cameras can hold more than one picture at a time. If they are taking pictures of someone else wether it be a Steampunk or whatever, turn around and don't want a picture of you while you are standing there, then thats not their problem its yours.

If the sole enjoyment at a con for you or indeed anyone is based on how many photos they are asked for, then you're doing it wrong.

Current Cosplay Projects
Nights Watch Brother (Game of Thrones) - 70%
Shy Guy (Mario Warfare) - 90%
Leadmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #30
sweetnsassy
*swish swish stab*

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Steamboy answer the question as to whether or not steampunk belongs at an anime con? Personally speaking, I enjoy the diverse fashions (like lolita and steampunk) and cosplay I see at cons. I've seen some amazing steampunk getups that look like they took months to create and I'm glad I got the chance to take pictures of the people wearing them. In my opinion, anime cons would be kinda boring with nothing but anime characters running around, with nary a Harley Quinn, lolita, or steampunk in sight. Variety is the spice of life.

WIP cosplays:
Toph Bei Fong (earth kindgom): 90%
Toph Bei Fong (fire nation): 90%

Future cosplays:
Toph Bei Fong (Bei Fong estate gown):0%
Haruhi Fujioka (final episode ballgown): 0%
Ciel Phantomhive (green suit): 0%
sweetnsassy is offline   Reply With Quote