Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #61
Chocolahime

There haven't been any personal attacks. You are still avoiding the question though. We would just lie you to actually explain your stand. By explaining how it is ok to wear lolita since it has been featured in anime but not steampunk which has also been featured in anime it would really help us understand your point of view. By tippy toeing around it it just seems like you're going "no SP k thanx bai".
Chocolahime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #62
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexation View Post
I'm going to step back from the can of worms that I inadvertently opened up by stating an opinion other than the norm
Nope, that's actually called flouncing. But look at my manners, interrupting a nice persecution complex! You have a sweet night now.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #63
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

Mango is once again sagacious and resplendent.

Bully!
youtu be channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #64
Nayara
Bonny-chan

Quote:
I never said that I felt Steampunk was the only thing didn't fit in at anime cons.

Fact is that I'm in the minority in the opinion that I like anime at anime cons, and I'm going to step back from the can of worms that I inadvertently opened up by stating an opinion other than the norm to avoid any drama and/or personal attacks from flaring up, like they're starting to.

Peace be wit' cha.
I do understand what you meant with Steampunk at Anime Cons. ^^ Don't feel bad because some people are childish and need to bash because "technically" you are indeed right. Steampunk has nothing to do with Anime, but then again the borders of what belongs to an Anime con have long ago become pretty washy. Like people said, there are so many cartoon and game characters and let's not mention all the Harry Potter people. ^^ I personally don't care whether steampunk people come to anime cons or not.
Nayara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #65
Chocolahime

@Nayara
Then how does lolita have anything to do with anime?
Unread 06-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #66
Nayara
Bonny-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolahime View Post
@Nayara
Then how does lolita have anything to do with anime?
Huh? I've seen a few anime where lolitas appear (even Detective Conan has them). But like I said, I personally don't really care who goes to an anime con. So "please" don't start bashing me now for my opinion. x___x"
Nayara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #67
Chocolahime

AAAAAH there you go! I'm not bashing opinions, never did (though I will mention that the quotes on please are unnecessary), I'm just comparing these two:
Lolita HAS appeared in anime
Steampunk HAS appeared in anime
OP's reason for lolita being ok in anime conventions: It has been in anime
So the OP said that lolita is ok because it has been in anime and it is ok even if the outfit isn't related to a particular anime because lolita has been in anime at some point.
Should the same idea apply to steampunk? If not I am wondering why. That WHY is the reason I am a bit frustrated, the op refused to give an answer.
There might be a really good reason why it cannot... but they never said it.
Unread 06-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #68
Legatosgurl
I am a BANANA!!!!

Okay guys. I'm not seeing where the personal bashing is coming in, but kay. What I do see are people kinda taking things too far/seriously, IMO.

Final Fantasy - Physics not included.

Cosplay 2012:
MLP: DJ PON 3
Soul Eater: Tsubaki
Legatosgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #69
Chocolahime

I'm just looking for the logic in all of this.
Unread 06-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #70
EgnirysFaye
Knows all your secrets

Quote:

Let's not forget that Lolita fashion originated in Japan and is a primarily Japanese/Eastern movement.

(Don't worry, not here to attack or anything!) I just have a wee, tiny itty bitty critique - Lolita is actually based on Victorian fashion on it's own. And within a more specific matter, "Lolita" has Canadian connections. Anne of Green Gables was a very popular story within Asia for a long time - orphans of the time looked up to her.

In addition, the word Lolita came from a Russian writer named Vladimir Vladimirovich Nabokov, who wrote a book with such a title. The term itself eventually becomes the definition describing an a adolescent girl who is sexually adamant.

Sometimes when people say "Primarily" or "Purely" Japanese....just have to be careful, is all.

ANYWAY!

This thread is getting a wee bit serious.....it is just conventions and costumes, afterall.

Future/In Progress Cosplays:
||Lyanna (95%) ::Game of Thrones ASOIAF||King Canute::Vinland Saga
|| ? ::Once Upon a Time || Princess Tutu::Princess Tutu{Coppelia}||Louise Belcher::Bob's Burger's
EgnirysFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #71
beEp
beEp beEp i'm a jeep

I can see where OP is coming from. These are technically Japanese Anime/Culture conventions. I personally don't have a problem seeing things that aren't Japan-related, but whether or not they technically 'belong' is debatable.
beEp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #72
RaDragon76
Outlaw Robin

This argument is ancient history. I've heard every version of it known to costumers:

1. Sci-Fi costumes shouldn't be seen in the halls at anime conventions.

2. Anime costumes shouldn't be seen in the halls at sci-fi conventions.

3. Comic book characters costumers should stay away from both types of conventions and only appear at comic cons.

4. Costumers should make sure to chose convention appropriate costumes for whatever con they are attending and should never step outside the box on pain of death.

5. Steampunk costumes should appear at steampunk related events or cons.

These are just a few that I've heard over the years I've been attending conventions and every one of them is a load of crock. They're all types of costumes so what's the big deal if someone in a streampunk outfit wants to wear it to an anime convention? I think people just need to step back and lighten up a little.
Unread 06-08-2010, 11:15 PM   #73
Amanita

^This. It's all cosplay after all, and we're all geeks in costume at the end of the day. So all this snobbery can crawl off and die somewhere.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 06:43 AM   #74
juusanbantaigrr

Dude, if the Progressive Lady can be cosplayed at an anime con (coughAnimeBoston2010cough) then we steampunks can strut our stuff too.

Just sayin'

"I'm a goddamn marvel of modern cosplay!"
juusanbantaigrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #75
hellparadiso
Dante's Divine

Quote:
Fact is that I'm in the minority in the opinion that I only like to see anime at anime cons, and I'm going to flouncefrom the can of worms that I purposelyopened up by starting a thread that contains an opinion I may or may not actually have for the sole purpose of starting a debate/argument here on Coscom.
There, I fixed that for you.

I don't mind a conversation, but you seem so unwilling to actually listen to what other people think, it makes me wonder why you started the thread to begin with. Nobody has been especially rude until it became clear that you were probably trolling.

I think there's enough snobbery within the anime community (people who hate on old school cosplay, Pokemon cosplay, "easy" cosplay, or trendy cosplay) that adding snobbery to the exclusion of other "non-anime" groups basically makes us as f-ed up and nasty and mean as all the stuck-up popular groups we rail against every day.

I will also add that if ANY convention I attend or want to attend had a "no Steampunk/Lolita/video games/cyberpunk/whatever" rule, I would no longer want to attend that convention.

Planned: Rumi from Perfect Blue. (A-Kon 22)
Completed: Misato Katsuragi. (A-Kon 21)
hellparadiso is offline   Reply With Quote