Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #76
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

I just thought of something. Many people work steampunk aesthetics into their everyday fashion, should they be shunned from anime cons too, even if they're not cosplaying? They're just dressed weird...

Wait. We're all dressed weird. YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #77
Nerfherder
Puu! - Mokona

I think steampunk is a pretty cool eh.. "fashion"? I might not consider it "Anime" but would group it more with sci-fi I guess. But really, I wouldn't mind more "steampunkers" at anime cons. I've seen loads of sci-fi/hollywoodmovie/steampunk/western game cosplays anyway so it's not like they wouldn't fit in. Some steampunk versions of anime characters could be interesting too, I'm open for new things. Steampunk sci-fi characters trying to enter an anime cosplay contest, well.. Rules are rules. There's not much to do about that but not being let in to the con because you've got the "wrong costume"? Nah, that would (read "should" I guess) never happen.

Arguing that a cosplayer doesn't belong on a cosplay convent is like splitting hair, what's the point really? The only thing I'd take note of though, at an anime/japan convent you'd fit in better if you like anime, and at a sci-fi con you'd fit in better if you like sci-fi. What I would cosplay? You've got nothing to say in the matter, although I'd gladly take suggestions

I've seriously thought about cosplaying a Lord of the Rings Ringwraith (along with 8 others) to an animecon, just because I know most congoers have seen LOTR and I think it's a funny idea. I don't feel locked to anime just because it's a japan/anime convent.

Last edited by Nerfherder : 06-09-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Nerfherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #78
paper cosplay
going 2D in a 3D artform

there are alot of steampunk style animes.
people dress up as storm troopers and other scifi costumes at anime conventions so no problem with steampunk.

I have seen asian themed steampunked out fits somepoeple don't consider it steam punk but for me steampunk dose not have to be eroupean

I am in a group that dose steampunk theme mystery events mostly its the small anime cons that invite us to put run a mystery event at there cons.
Unread 06-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #79
Zeat Project

I enjoy both Steampunk and Cosplay. I believe that a person had a right to dress up as anything they want at an anime convention. There is nothing written in stone stating that they HAVE to be in certain Cosplay. I think it gives people more freedom to have fun. That is what an anime convention is really all about...having fun. I see people dress up a Disney characters, characters from Family Guy, The Venture Brothers, and other various American characters. I do enjoy people doing that very much.
No feeling
Eternity awaits"
"Beloved"-VNV Nation
Zeat Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #80
Nerfherder
Puu! - Mokona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeat Project View Post
I enjoy both Steampunk and Cosplay.
Funny how you said that and separated Steampunk from cosplay. No offence, but the choice of words amused me a little bit, coming from someone who actually is a steampunker and want it to be just like any other "genre".

At every con there are people who are dressed in ways that doesn't fit in well with the rest of the con. Sometimes Jack Sparrow walks in on the anime con. Sometimes a random stormtrooper. Surely a steampunker would just be seen as an original character, or another version of a character or so, not a freak. From the people I've met at cons, I've noticed that people in general are really polite and nice. Regardless what your cosplaying though, have enough confidence to ignore straightforward people who's toes you aparently tread on without meaning to.

Last edited by Nerfherder : 06-09-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Unread 06-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #81
Kitsune-sama
The Hot Glue Queen

Here's a tiffy: What about an anime character with an existing steampunk design or an original steampunk design? Now what, lulz?

Anyway, for the statement about seeing sci-fi at an anime con.... DERP. A HUGE portion of anime is sci-fi, which attracts people who like 'general' sci-fi. Maybe they don't want to cosplay from that anime, despite loving it.

In any case, stfu. We're all nerds, let's just set our differences aside and hug it out.
Kitsune-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #82
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

I swore that I wouldn't get involved in this...but I have a solution for the OP.

Start your own con. Ban anything not anime.

Ta-da!

Next con: SacAnime Winter (Sacramento, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #83
Foos
Monster Hunter Addict!

:3 Oh you guys.

I will never case to be amazed at how a crowd of quintessential "I was picked on in middle school" nerds will always pounce on the opportunity to exclude/shun/reject fellow geeks.

You know, there are a lot of weaboos out there who feel like anime cosplayers in general ruin any chance of their fandom being a legitimate, accepted and mainstream thing. Anyone remember the G4 TV thing where ANYONE in a costume was likened to a fat man painted blue at a football game, embarrassing everyone and tarnishing the image of the sport?

There we go. Anyone who slaps on a costume should be ashamed. IT'S BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD. Or, you could maybe just enjoy being dressed up, without worrying whether that person next to you has a painted nerf gun, froo-froo BURANDO, or a mesh t-shirt with cat ears.
Foos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #84
Chyster
Umbrella Corp UBCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexation View Post
Clearly you don't pay attention/haven't been to enough cons yet.
FFFF I haven't been going to a bunch of cons(I started in 07), but I don't mean that every steampunk puts effort forward, but to the ones that do, I have no problem with them. That makes sense, yes?
But in all seriousness, I don't see why it matters at all. So what if they go to the con? If theres not a rule against it, why make a big deal about it?
Chyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #85
Alorelle
Natsu ★ Game

I don't really care if there are Steampunk cosplayers at an anime convention or not. I think as long as they worked hard on their costume, it looks good and they're having fun wearing it, then why get all upset about it ? Its not like the Steampunk cosplayers are coming over to you and saying "OHSNAP ANIME SUCKS FOO". P: '' Its no different then people dressing in Goth fashion, or Lolita or Visual Kei in my opinion.

MTAC :: Ino :: ???
Alorelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #86
hellparadiso
Dante's Divine

Quote:
I will never case to be amazed at how a crowd of quintessential "I was picked on in middle school" nerds will always pounce on the opportunity to exclude/shun/reject fellow geeks.
^THIS.

Planned: Rumi from Perfect Blue. (A-Kon 22)
Completed: Misato Katsuragi. (A-Kon 21)
hellparadiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #87
Amanita

^Exactly. Sometimes I wonder if we cosplayers are our own worst enemies sometimes.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #88
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

If you don't want non anime cosplay at "your" anime con, don't cosplay sephiroth to it.

I have to say the relies and posts here are interesting enough, this is the first time in five years I've read each and every one of them on this site.

But what would I know, I cosplay american comic book characters and original cosplay designs to your anime conventions. Why would I want to cosplay anime?

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf

Last edited by Volnixshin : 06-09-2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: What? I can't edit?
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #89
Nerfherder
Puu! - Mokona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune-sama View Post
Here's a tiffy: What about an anime character with an existing steampunk design or an original steampunk design? Now what, lulz?
I think that is an interesting dilemma. I can't see how a steampunk OC/ steampunk version of an anime character wouldn't pass into Original Character cosplay competitions. As OC are original, noone can really claim it's not anime as you could draw anything. And really, I agree about the hugs.

But more in general regarding clothing, it's not like animecons have a dresscode. Only the competitions does and whoever is arranging it is free to decide whatever rules they want.

The only thing with animecons is that the cons are kind of boring unless you like anime/manga/japan kind of events and it's always more fun and easier to fit in if you have a lot of common ground to build upon
Unread 06-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #90
milk&honey
cooler than me

I'm not a huge fan of gears & rust-colored everything.

Though, I don't see why anyone shouldn't be allowed to an anime convention based on what they're wearing.

C O S P L A Y
  • dietrich, trinity blood 25%
  • seek, with pv 50%
  • screaming mantis, metal gear solid 4 40%

Last edited by milk&honey : 06-09-2010 at 05:54 PM.
milk&honey is offline   Reply With Quote