Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-10-2010, 11:32 PM   #106
kachie_1

@hellparadiso

Hmm... I definitely see what you mean. O: I welcome everything to Cons~ I've never once bashed someone for what they wore at a con... (Admittedly, I have wanted to bash Twilighters, but always refrain) Because they main thing is to make sure that everyone has a good time at cons, and no one should bash on people for their costumes.

If you don't like to see them there, you don't have to look at them. You can just walk away. O:

...Though deep down, I think everyone's got at least one cosplay-thing they don't prefer to see at cons... (starts to sing 'Everyone's a Bit -Cosplay- Racist') ...*shot*

Current Cosplay List:
Nanao Ise (Bleach)
Neliel Tu (Bleach)

Yet to Come:
Lady Deadpool
Shampoo (Ranma 1/2)
Luise Meyrink (King of Fighters)
C.C. (Code Geass)
kachie_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-11-2010, 02:16 AM   #107
Axelai
I'm Awesome

IMO, you can't just ban a genre of cosplayer from a con. Sure, it may not be "anime", but neither are all the video game cosplays there. Might as well ban all the Final Fantasy cosplayers as well.

Besides, i know a lot of people who dress somewhat steampunk on a day to day basis (not myself, but my boyfriend and all his friends... though i admit i have an outfit or two to fit in with them). Anime Expo is just a day for them to chuck on the pieces that would look weird on a normal outfit (like the golden arm brace and crazy monocles). But really, even if its not japan-ish, it's still just what they want to wear. And thats cool with me, as long as they don't go saying its from Naruto or something. Cuz its not.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #108
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

Why are we separating anime from things like sci fi? Anime is just the medium, not the genre itself

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #109
Kiichigo

Personally I don't see steampunk as cosplay, but the point is that you can dress however you want at a con (WITH IN REASONABLE BOUNDARIS OF COURSE, WE DO NOT WANT TO SEE YOU WEARING T-SHIRTS SUPPORTING PEDOPHELIA OR SEE YOU NOT WEARING ANYTHING AT ALL)
Fx if I liked to wear tanktops and glittery miniskirts, shouldn't I be allowed to wear that at a con?

Freedom of clothing

Last edited by Kiichigo : 06-12-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Missing words
Kiichigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #110
RogueMimzy
back after a hiatus~

Alright, guys, in the end we're all just a bunch of nerds running around being nerdy together. Seriously! Costuming/cosplay elitism has been running rampant recently and I just don't get it. I also don't see the point in putting other people's costumes down, whether it's the same outfit you're wearing, same series, different series, or something completely different altogether. Not everyone has $500 and hundreds of hours and all the skill sets to put a costume together. Therefore, not everyone is going to be on the same level.

What is completely stupid is being sneered at because you're wearing something cybergoth/punk. It's kinda like "oh... you cosplay from THAT series?" It's not middle school! I've always gone to conventions to hang out with friends and have fun, and I don't see how harassing other people is fun, though that just might be me. To not have the panel accepted (back on page 1) was a fault of the convention. I'm sure they had some non-anime related panels hidden in there somewhere.

Honestly, if everyone started getting picky... it would just be silly. I become a very happy nerd to see Jedi running around my anime cons, and anime vampires with huge guns/swords running around my comic cons. I guess there will always be elitist people trying to push others down, but in the end we are all just NERDS IN COSTUMES. Maybe very expensive, intricate, and ornate costumes, but costumes all the same. People need to just calm down =\
See you at Miraicon | CPAC | Connecticon | Otakon | NYCC | Derpycon
facebook
RogueMimzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #111
Pocketfightr
Merc who grants wishes

The only reason I could see them turning down a cybergoth/punk panel over steampunk might be that the person deciding had the connection in their mind that cybergoth = rave, and a few of the cons I've got to lately have been trying to convince con-goers to stop calling the dance a rave... due to raves being seen as something parents don't want their kids to attend. Not fair at all, but that's my guess.

The first couple years I was attending cons (back in the day~), yea, I had a similar opinion the OP had. Over the years though, I came to realize that if we snubbed out all the non-anime cosplay, there's a lot of fun stuff we'd never see. Heck, in the 11 years I've been going to anime cons, I probably remember more of the really good non-anime costumes than the anime ones. Heck, the only costumes I can specifically remember from my first Otakon was a group of Star Wars Episode 1 cosplayers. I don't even like Star Wars, but I was amazed they even had a kid for Anakin (it was the year Episode 1 came out).

I don't care what the genre a costume is coming from. If it looks neat, I'm going to take a picture of it.
Nene (Bubblegum Crisis) -eventually?

2014 Cons:
Detour
Acen
Dragon*Con
Nebraskon
Pocketfightr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #112
Zeat Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinjuchan View Post
Alright, guys, in the end we're all just a bunch of nerds running around being nerdy together. Seriously! Costuming/cosplay elitism has been running rampant recently and I just don't get it. I also don't see the point in putting other people's costumes down, whether it's the same outfit you're wearing, same series, different series, or something completely different altogether. Not everyone has $500 and hundreds of hours and all the skill sets to put a costume together. Therefore, not everyone is going to be on the same level.

What is completely stupid is being sneered at because you're wearing something cybergoth/punk. It's kinda like "oh... you cosplay from THAT series?" It's not middle school! I've always gone to conventions to hang out with friends and have fun, and I don't see how harassing other people is fun, though that just might be me. To not have the panel accepted (back on page 1) was a fault of the convention. I'm sure they had some non-anime related panels hidden in there somewhere.

Honestly, if everyone started getting picky... it would just be silly. I become a very happy nerd to see Jedi running around my anime cons, and anime vampires with huge guns/swords running around my comic cons. I guess there will always be elitist people trying to push others down, but in the end we are all just NERDS IN COSTUMES. Maybe very expensive, intricate, and ornate costumes, but costumes all the same. People need to just calm down =\
I have to agree. I don't see what's the big deal. I just think it's stupid to make such a big deal out of NOTHING.
No feeling
Eternity awaits"
"Beloved"-VNV Nation
Zeat Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #113
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

well first of all...its not YOUR anime con....its a public gathering for people to have fun and dress in costumes/extravagant styles...or even normal clothing.

steampunk is a fashion that is odd compared to normal day standards so people going to cons feel as they will be more accepted there in full out steam punk than in their normal day lives.
its like the goth kids in their hot topic pants with chains ..black hair and lip stick...thats not japanese based fashion..but no one says anything about them.

Visit my groups page! <3
Creative Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #114
Chyster
Umbrella Corp UBCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative Genius View Post
well first of all...its not YOUR anime con....its a public gathering for people to have fun and dress in costumes/extravagant styles...or even normal clothing.

steampunk is a fashion that is odd compared to normal day standards so people going to cons feel as they will be more accepted there in full out steam punk than in their normal day lives.
its like the goth kids in their hot topic pants with chains ..black hair and lip stick...thats not japanese based fashion..but no one says anything about them.
^ WIN.
Chyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #115
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
PFAHAHAHAHAwhat.

Seriously, what.

Go on, walk past the Aunt Jemima and Waldo and Solid Snake and OC fursuit to tell a steampunk they don't belong at an anime con. I have faith that your opinion will be both valued and respected.
This. 'Fraid that's all I have to contribute...
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #116
Elycium
Applique ate my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellparadiso View Post
*Goggles, spats, and brass buttons do not a steampunk costume make, in my opinion.
I have to disagree with you a little there - at least when it comes to modifying an anime / video game character into steampunk. Given that clothing is what makes up about 3/4 of a steampunk ensemble, that Link did a rather decent job. I'll make a comparison with Naruto.

If a person goes into a dealers room and just buys a naruto headband and slaps it on with his/her normal clothing and says "I'm cosplaying random *insert village here* ninja 3983" then no, he/she is not cosplaying. If said person walked into the dealers room and buys a headband, sandals, and akatsuki (sp?) cloak, hat and kunai and throws it on and says I'm cosplaying blah blah blah character (I haven't watch naruto in ages) then yes, he/she is cosplaying, whether you agree with dealers room cosplay or not.

The same thing applies to steampunk. If a person goes and buys goggles and slaps them on his/her head while wearing just jeans and a tshirt and says its steampunk, then they're wrong. Its not. But if the same person buys goggles bracers, ect and puts together an ensemble that looks like steampunk or any sub-genre of steampunk (and there are many), then yes, its steampunk. Its not JUST the props that make it steampunk, though props do help. The trims, bracers, brass buttons, spats, goggles, ect all help make steampunk what it is. That Link did a rather decent job at it. /rant Sorry ^^;

As for the OP - first of all, if you aren't the one funding the convention then its not YOUR convention. If you don't like steampunk, don't look at the cosplayer beyond your first glance, ignore it, move on. I don't want to see two thirteen year old girls dressed up as *insert fan pairing here* making out in the hallways because "yaoi is hot/cool/awesome", but I can't stop it, so I just ignore it.

If you do eventually decide to start a convention and decide to have bouncers at the door to enforce your "anime only" dress code, be ready to watch your attendance fall like a rock dropped off a tall building. No one wants to be told what to wear at a place that is supposed to be about dressing up for fun with other people who like to dress up FOR FUN.
We're all people running around as made up characters, there's not need to nit-pick over who does or does not belong.

Upcoming Costumes
Alibaba - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
H/A Elsa - Frozen
Yunan - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Mephisto Pheles - Ao No Exorcist
Elycium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #117
godmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellparadiso
I will also add that if ANY convention I attend or want to attend had a "no Steampunk/Lolita/video games/cyberpunk/whatever" rule, I would no longer want to attend that convention.
Yes, this exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
It warms my heart to know that some of the same people who bitch and moan about people giving them a hard time when they cosplay in public get pissy when someone represents another genre or style of costume at an anime convention.

There's no rule against it. Lighten up.
As a steampunk person who also likes anime, I'm going to go to anime cons. If I get made fun of, I'll ignore it. Seriously, getting upset because someone makes fun of what you're wearing? I'd be much more upset if they commented on my character - but even if they did, they don't know me so it wouldn't matter.

That said, this is the first thread where I've actually read all of the replies. I'm not surprised that the OP utterly disappeared after a while (probably a result of being thoroughly trounced by Mangochutney).
godmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #118
Nayara
Bonny-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by godmi View Post
I'm not surprised that the OP utterly disappeared after a while (probably a result of being thoroughly trounced by Mangochutney).
Can't blame the OP for this. ~____~"
Nayara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #119
FE Freak
buys Arda Wig exclusively

I'm thinking the OP no longer cares about this topic. Might as well close it. This subject has just about been talked to death.
FE Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #120
Ryouko
Where's my danish?

I am absolutely in love with all Steampunk costumers that I find at the cons. Especially with the release of the movie 9 last year, it's brought more fans into the genre. Considering some animes certainly have steampunk elements (Last Exile, Steamboy, Robot Carnival, The Count of Monte Cristo, ect..), I see no problem with it being cosplayed at conventions or even panels about it.

Probably my most favorite photo I shot at A-kon last weekend was a Steampunk version of the Mad Hatter (which, I saw plenty of Alice in Wonderland cosplayers as well, and I certainly don't see THEM being picked on, as they shouldn't be.)

http://www.kampai-photo.com/photo/57.jpg (By the way, I am looking for this cosplayer XD If this is you, please PM me!)
Ryouko is offline   Reply With Quote