Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #121
kingselite
Game Developer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 157
@Elycium

i'd have to disagree with you 100% on this one. you claim that slapping on ex. naruto headband and saying you're cosplaying ninja number 5001 is not cosplay but it is. i think along the way people have forgotten the grass roots of what cosplay really is, its not about the fancy dress or how hard you worked on it. its about feeling connected to the character or style you love most and showing how you interprete it to other people.

i can garentee anyone here and bet them a billion dollars that no matter what clothing style you find, or can come up with, i can find it in an anime. thats the beauty of it. theres so much variety whether its officer jenny from pokemon to naruto to gundam to zombie loan. anime, manga, pictures in general are a creative art thought up by someone to express a visual idea and to encapsolate that idea and claim that if its not this, then there is no other, is narrowminded and discriminatory against the very thing you're trying to do.

it would be no different then me ridiculing a naruto cosplay because his hair isn't perfect, or his cloths are one shade off therefor he must not be a cosplayer.

so in the end i reiterate, what is cosplay? because its not fancy dress or copying exactly what a character is, its the connection to that character.
kingselite is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 06-12-2010, 03:05 AM   #122
Elycium
Applique ate my soul
 
Elycium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,980
@kingselite - you missed the point of my example completely. And I have a feeling that if you asked a group of people at a con if wearing a naruto headband with no other parts of a cosplay that make it look like it came from the anime (i.e. jeans and a tshirt)= cosplay, I'm willing to bet a large number would say, not really. Namely because you don't see ANY ninjas running around in jeans and a tshirt. You might find someone running around in jeans and a hoodie in say... Fruits Basket, but you won't see a Fruits Basket character wearing a naruto headband. So your argument there is kind of moot.

Its the same way if someone saw a person running around wearing just jeans, tshirt, and a pair of goggles, they'd probably think "goggles and jeans/tshirt = / = steampunk." I'm not saying everyone will think that way, but I'm willing a lot of people might. The point I was making had nothing to do with "what makes a cosplay" or "what is cosplay", I was merely pointing out that "spats, bracers, brass buttons, trim, etc" actually do help make a steampunk, well, steampunk.

If a person wants to say that they're "random ninja 78732" then cool, let them. I'm just saying that the way your cosplay is judged by others, meaning the difference between whether people just walk past you or whether they pull out their camera to take a photo, is based on the amount of effort that one puts into their costume, whether they make all of it, some of it, or just thrift it together. So if a person wants to get the attention that so many people (cosplayers) want (i.e. getting photos, compliments, whatever) you have to put at least some effort into what you're doing whether its creating or searching the stores / web for that perfect component that completes the outfit.

edit: tl;dr - goggles alone do not make something steampunk in the same way that just a headband alone does not make you naruto / sasuke / sakura, etc. If you want to claim that you are so-and-so, put effort into what you do.
__________________
Facebook page
Tumblr

Upcoming Costumes
Alibaba - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
H/A Elsa - Frozen
Yunan - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Mephisto Pheles - Ao No Exorcist

Last edited by Elycium : 06-12-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Elycium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #123
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover
 
Shana05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellparadiso View Post
I hate Twilight. I loathe it. I wish it would be stricken from public record and readers' memories everywhere. If I saw a Twilight cosplayer at an anime convention, I might be inclined to berate that person for not seeing what I see: a poorly written, Mary-Sue-loving bastardization of romantic writing. What I would not do is berate that person for expressing their particular fandom through costume. In fact, if it were a good costume, I'd congratulate them for their skillz.
That's still harassment. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't give you the right to berate them. This kind of behavior at cons always makes me uncomfortable because that's how the incident at Motaku where an Edward cosplayer was assaulted started.
__________________
Tumblr - Facebook Fan Page - Etsy Shop
Shana05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #124
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well
 
Miyabi-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
That's still harassment. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't give you the right to berate them. This kind of behavior at cons always makes me uncomfortable because that's how the incident at Motaku where an Edward cosplayer was assaulted started.
This. Honestly, unless I'm asked for my opinion on the subject I'd just hold your tongue and walk away. Hating something someone else loves and making them feel bad by berating them for it would makes me a jerk.
I don't like Twilight either but a few of my friends do. Their taste in literature aside, we have tons in common and I respect their opinions and they respect mine.
It's not so hard to get along as long as people have common courtesy to each other. ^_^
__________________
I'm only a male lust object on the weekends." -Meng Xiaojie-
Common Sense isn't so common anymore. Perhaps it should now be called Rare Sense
Follow me on: Twitter (Warning: I swear a lot..lol)

Last edited by Miyabi- : 06-12-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #125
kingselite
Game Developer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 157
@Elycium

now you're playing techicallities here. if you want to go as far as to say no one in naruto is wearing jeans then you'd only be half correct as me saying many naruto characters wear jeans which would be half correct. to go into as little detail as possible about this, look at the style of pants most characters wear especially in the crotch region. as you will notice it is a bifold design overlapping a zipper on almost all pants seen in the series. this design was not used in real life until the invention of jeans which is still used in all jean pants and shorts. now you car argue they are cargo pants, but cargo pants where origionally of military design based on the jean pant but made with more pockets and wasn't until it became more popular that it was made out of a thinner material.

now before you can even begin to argue steampunk, lets put it in relation to naruto. first ever appearence of naruto what was he wearing instead of a head band? goggles, but goggles are a common focal point of steampunk design.

naruto movie 1: steampunk design used in train and airship along with parts of the bad guys clothing design

naruto movie 2: again with the steampunk like design with ships and armor

naruto movie 3: again ships and some carages look steam punk like in design.

shippudden movie 3: weaponry located on both sides where konoha and the sand are about to start war.

its such a wide genre of style to cover.


in response to your tl;dr: if i say its steampunk cause i like the way it looks on me and i think its a cool style, then its steampunk because quite frankly, if anyone tell you different, thier opinion doesn't matter. if i want to believe i'm dressing steampunk by just having on goggles or dressing naruto by just having a headband thats my choice and its not your place to tell me different.

Last edited by kingselite : 06-12-2010 at 12:00 PM.
kingselite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #126
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 10,985
the OP stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexation View Post
I'm going to step back from the can of worms that I inadvertently opened up by stating an opinion other than the norm to avoid any drama and/or personal attacks from flaring up, like they're starting to.
I agree it's best to just close this thread and move-on. The longer it continues the more drama will unfold.
__________________
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #127
kingselite
Game Developer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 157
i agree this thread should probably be closed. it's almost always going to turn into a flame war when you start asking for opinions especially on the internet :S.

only reason i really started posting in this thread was cause i don't like other people telling others what they can and can't do and whether they do or don't belong.
kingselite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 06:48 AM   #128
chinguin
Registered User
 
chinguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5
Its like "The Real World: Anime Con" and "So You Think You Can Cosplay" all wrapped up in a nice little forum packet! Who needs reality tv when we have reality internet!
chinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #129
scandia
Overachiever
 
scandia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,250
Many anime/manga/video game series are steampunk. So cosplaying a character from a steampunk anime should not be problematic in any way.
__________________
I think, therefore I am.
scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #130
Kelley
Devil of Details
 
Kelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadmill View Post
Then why ignore that Steampunk has featured in several notable anime series and films by several major animation studios. You can't ignore a point one second and then use it the next.

By your logic now Steampunk has just as much right to be at an anime event as lolita.
Completely agree.

I mean, what, was I really the only person who played Final Fantasy IX ? That game was hella Steampunk, before Steampunk was all that popular. Those airships were pretty sweet.

Not to mention things like Kuroshitsuji and Steamboy (*COUGH* *COUGH* *HACK*).

Someone doing a Ciel Phantomhive cosplay could go to a "Steampunk" convention and probably receive a lot of compliments - and I don't think people would be nasty about it just because it was "from an anime" (or manga).




Also, try looking up "Steampanku", "Ricepunk" (mildly-offensive sounding, but I didn't name it), or "Victoriental".

http://steampunk.seesaa.net/


Also, Japan was very much influenced by Western dress during the Meiji period - see here : http://inthewritemind.files.wordpres...d-fashions.jpg . I think that a Victorian dress in Japanese silks, as pictured, could be very beautiful and interesting.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #131
Lithium Flower
Handphones
 
Lithium Flower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 15,236
I wrote out a pretty long reply, but I think there's only one thing I can really say about this kind of discussion.

Sometimes, people really just need to get over themselves.
__________________
Iíll tell you what people look like, really: they look like flames. Or like the stars, on a clear night in the wilderness.
LiveStream
Emmers Drawberry: Professional Superhero
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #132
Sakurairis
Manic Maid
 
Sakurairis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
I wrote out a pretty long reply, but I think there's only one thing I can really say about this kind of discussion.

Sometimes, people really just need to get over themselves.
seconded. With all my heart. I tried to respond but it ended up too long. I think you summarized it though.
Sakurairis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #133
ashelia89
Visiting Gran Pulse
 
ashelia89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 529
this thread should be closed under the grounds of it not being useful...at all...the OP pretty much left out from this thread and there's no point in discussing something that folks aren't going to change their minds about...just my opinion though.
__________________
The Hume's ever skew history's weave. With haste they move through too-short lives. Driven to err by base desires, towards waste and wasting on they run. Undying, we Occuria light the path for wayward sons of man. Oft did we pass judgment on them so that Ivalice might endure. Eternal, we are hist'ry's stewards, to set the course and keep it true. The chosen is our hand - our fist - to let live some and to crush the rest.
ashelia89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #134
Nightwitch-Kat
Busty Princessa
 
Nightwitch-Kat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,303
I love seeing EVERYTHING at cons! At Anime North we have whole Steampunk fashion shows and a security gaurd who dresses as a Klingon! As for Twilight at cons, I probably wouldn't notice it (its only normal clothes) and it really isn't much different then seeing Harry Potter at anime cons (though Harry Potter does have games out)

Variety is the spice of life!
__________________
~ Up coming Cons ~
  • Anime North 2014
  • Con-G 2014

~ Up coming Cosplays ~
  • Princess Peach - Super Smash Bros
Nightwitch-Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #135
demifiend
Anonkira be praised...
 
demifiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 768
Edited to nothingness to prevent drama.
__________________
I'm a U.S. Navy Sailor. I also make costumes sometimes. Probably more often, now that Uncle Sam pays me well.
I cosplayed Thane Krios and have a fondness for projects that are way over my head.

Last edited by demifiend : 06-13-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Read the above, dammit!
demifiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.