Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Otakuthon

Unread 06-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

New to Otakuthon - help?

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of going to Otakuthon this year as other ppl I know are going (I'm such a sheep, I know).

I have a few questions..so I know what to expect (yes, newest scares me..I'm much too pratical not to be 100% prepared).

1. Are people friendly...stupid question, but i would like a general view of the con-goers.

2. Are panel/masq in English or only in french?

3. Best or Cheap hotels near the con?

Anyone else new have any question - feel free to use this thread to ask them..
mokulen22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Alorelle
Natsu ★ Game

I have a question. : D

- Is there a food court inside the convention building ?

MTAC :: Ino :: ???
Alorelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Risea

Moku: I can say that people are indeed friendly. If there's ever a problem and you can't understand something in french, ask and someone will be nice enough to translate it for you. Panels can be both english, french or even both. The Masquerade is done in both languages. All main events are. As for hotels, try googling the area around the Palais des Congress and see what there is. I know there's a lot of hotels around and some might be better priced and also in walking distance.

Alorelle: There's a few places inside the pdc itself, Subways, noobox (something like that), another little restaurant, that i never been to...yet, and La Popessa (an italian make your own pasta mix restaurant) is just outside, connected to the PDC. There's also going by the underground city slightly to get to the food court at Square-Victoria or just going up the street to Complex des Jardins for the food court there or St-Hubert. Also, china town is just outside the pdc, which has quite a few places to eat as well and also, bubble tea!

Hope that answers the questions ^^
Risea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
The*Fallen*One*
Cosplay Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risea View Post
Alorelle: There's a few places inside the pdc itself, Subways, noobox (something like that), another little restaurant, that i never been to...yet, and La Popessa (an italian make your own pasta mix restaurant) is just outside, connected to the PDC. There's also going by the underground city slightly to get to the food court at Square-Victoria or just going up the street to Complex des Jardins for the food court there or St-Hubert. Also, china town is just outside the pdc, which has quite a few places to eat as well and also, bubble tea!

Hope that answers the questions ^^
You forgot the Tim Hortons and convenience stores that are located just underground with the Subway and such. Plus there is Chinatown right outside of the Palais!

Upcoming Cosplays:

SOUL LARP 2010: Nyanne - Male Mithra Dragoon

Otakuthon 2010:
Fri: Nyanne
Sat: Nyanne
Sun: Edward Elric (FMA)

Future Cosplays:
Shugo - .hack//
Steampunk Gunner
TRON Sora
The*Fallen*One* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
Khaos Akuma

@ Both people asking questions: (or anyone else wanting to read my large post)

I've been going there for 2 years now and always go to Montreal each time I get a pay check and honestly the hole area is filled with nice people.

Hotels such as the Holiday Inn and Travel Lodge are the closes if now look up the centra station and there are Hotels around it. You literally walk down th street and you arrive to Chinatown and the Palais des Congrais.

It's been mention already about pannels but I will stress one thing. You're in Quebec, get ready to see people who do not speak English or not very well. It bieng Montreal though you shouldn't have much troubles. Some dealer's actuly speak French better then English but you can kindly ask them for anoter of their employers to deal with yu and they wont be offended (rememerb to stay polite and kind though! xD)

Food has also been mention execpt one thine. There is a little like cafetiria inside the convention that weekend serving Japanese dishes. (very good might I add) It can be a bit pricy not OVERLY but still can. Again yes there is Chinatown. The buffet is ok there. But also can be pricy if you don't eat a lot.

Also that weekend Chinatown should be having their side walk sales so more anime stuff and there are anime store as well. Not all dealers from the area will be at the dealers room. There actually two other stores in Chinatown that wont be at Otakuthon and they still have some cool stuff to check out.

Last thing to know if you're not from around if you come early or want to visite St-Cathrin street is filled with stores. Theres the Village where there more cool stores and good food. (But it's a little bit of a walk).

One more important thing. Even though Montreal is a nice place. DO NOT WALK ALONE AFTER HOURS. If you must walk to your hotel stay in a group. The area is ok but after 11PM even i would say the minute the sun goes down there can be some people not to trust worthy. St-Cathrin isn't to far from the Palais des Congrais and not suggested to walk there at dark. There's also the metro. even if is for 3 stops take it. There people there and your less likely to get hassled. I'm not trying to scare anyone but its better to be safe then sorry.

Beside that have a fun time if you come. It's a fun place and great people and events ^.^

(FYI The metro stop for the con is Place d'armes. It LITERALLY is right under the building. )
Unread 06-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
Alorelle
Natsu ★ Game

Thanks everyone for your answers ! :D It really helped me and my friend alot !

MTAC :: Ino :: ???
Alorelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 10:13 PM   #7
MagiFox
Spacey-Wacey

One rule for eating in Chinatown: bring your friends! If you're ordering several dishes, it's better to pick one dish for each person and then everyone shares a little of everything (I ordered a plate of Lemon Chicken when I ate down there with a friend for the first time and it was HUGE, enough for 3 people to eat alone! We couldn't even finsih half the plate! @A@). Just make sure to agree on what food everyone likes so there's no conflict between picky eaters. That way, everyone pays for their own orders (save for extra things that people may order just for themselves, like rice, etc.), making it a really cheap way to eat in Chinatown!

As an example: I've ordered spicy, fried tofu several times at a hole-in-the-wall restaurant and my BFF loves it since she doesn't eat red meat (only chicken and fish for meat, so she's semi-veg) and I love it since I've eaten tofu-related dishes before at home, even though I'm not really vegetarian! >w< However, some of my other friends don't like tofu, so they order other thing for themselves and also to share with other people. The more people, the more choices of food you can pick away at!
Danny Phantom (Danny Phantom)
Randy Cunningham [Ninja Suit] (RC9GN)
Hades [Female] (Hercules (Disney))
Sixth Doctor [Female] (Doctor Who)

[~Upcoming Events~]
Otakuthon 2014 l Montreal Comic Con 2014

Last edited by MagiFox : 06-15-2010 at 10:15 PM.
MagiFox is offline   Reply With Quote