Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 09-17-2003, 06:18 PM   #1
Alexia Ikyu
CP.net Photographer

Shinji Ikari - School

This is a question of critique and being able to throw clothing together.

What do you guys think about being think about throwing clothing together to make a costume? It does make the completed costume, but there was no sewing really involved. So... yeah.

At least the hair pieces are hand made.

P.S. First Thread!

Unread 09-17-2003, 06:22 PM   #2
AniMajor
Kouhosei

Aside from the backpack, the pocky, and the badges, that's really good. The hair pieces look good, and you actually look like him. Maybe you should change the shoes, though.

And there's nothing wrong with throwing clothes together, as long as you don't enter any contests, or do a really bad job.
AniMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2003, 06:38 PM   #3
Link Arroway
arararar

Its fun to still cosplay if you can't avoid a ghettoness, as long as your not saying your costumes really good or something o_o. Your costume looks good anyways
Link Arroway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2003, 06:42 PM   #4
*Jibrielle*
彡☆WEEEE☆彡

that looks really good!!! ^__^
Unread 09-17-2003, 07:29 PM   #5
K_Valentine
I shoot people.

All of my cosplay is throwing random clothes together into a costume.

Critique.... as said before, the Pocky, the badges, and the backpack should be removed before the picture (I usually wait for the cosplayer to remove non-cosplay items before taking the picture). I can't tell if you are wearing glasses from the pic (damn monitor) but if you are, take them off before the picture (unless it's part of the costume like Yomiko Readman's glasses).

Maybe look a little more depressed/ticked/angsty like Shinji.

Eh, unless the shoes are an extravagent part of the costume, I usually don't include them in the shot so your shoes are ok in my book.

Quick question to refresh my memory: Does Shinji actually wear those hair pieces when he wears his school uniform?

Escapist Magazine anime critic: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti.../reviews/anime
K_Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2003, 10:38 PM   #6
Hitomi chan
Tía Pelucas

well if I'm honest, many of my cosplays are made bye throwing my own clothes together, in fact I begun making myy cosplays in this way, by picking some of muy clothes and modifying them by cutting or sewing extra parts, but now that I have more experience and made a lot of hard work, I continue with this technique with the most simple characters (like Makoto Sawatari) and I only use them for photoshoots (and maybe for a convention if I don't have the time or the money to make a really good one) and I call them "household cosplays"; so I don't think that that is a bad technique, and it doesn't matter if the cosplay looks good like yours, in fact you really look like shinji XD, may I hit you??? (hehe my first cosplay was Asuka's seifuku, and now she become my favorite cosplaying character, that's why I want to hit you)

Envy is a beautiful feeling, as long as I provoque it. I am totally... Hitomi.

Ta-lila boku wa odori tsuzukeru
furitsuzuku giniro no ame no shita
Ta-lila kono karada kuchihatete mo
kimi ni kono inochi ga todoku no nara

Last edited by Hitomi chan : 09-17-2003 at 10:42 PM.
Hitomi chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2003, 12:23 AM   #7
Hitori
Tra la la

I think someone said it, but I think putting your non cosplay accessories away for a pic just makes a world of difference. It really does.
And for *any* costume, not having the right shoes can be a real killer, the rest looks wonderful then BAM the shoes stand out even more. So while I agree, you look like Shinji, you ought to get better shoes or request the photographer cut your feet out. I've done that, when my shoes were killing mi I just couldn't take it anymore I either tried to hide my feet or if I couldn't just told the photographer. *nod* yep.
Unread 09-18-2003, 12:45 AM   #8
Alexia Ikyu
CP.net Photographer

This is the only picture I ever got. The Fansview guy just said, "Hey!" I looked up and managed to smile before he took a picture. I was looking sad and depressed looking at the floor. I didn't even know he was about to take my picture, just appeared. Didn't even get a chance to take a thing off. Yes, I do wear glasses, but not in that picture. I do have better shoes, but me being the forgetful packer, I usually always forget my shoes. I run around barefoot too much.

If you want to make some of the head pieces for yourself, pick up the hard stryofoam at JoAnn's Fabric. The pieces look like a mini UFO disc. Cut it in half(you might have to shave some off the flat bottom to make it not so high then) and then shape it from there.

Just posted a little mini-cheesy tutorial on how to make the head pieces.
http://www.experimentalinsanity.com/...nji/headp.html

Last edited by Alexia Ikyu : 09-18-2003 at 12:50 AM.
Alexia Ikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2003, 10:13 AM   #9
cactusmomma
Let's play!

does shinji have that blue undershirt? o.o

and..donate the pocky to me!
The thing about glitter is, if you get on you, be prepared to have it on you forever..cause glitter doesn't go away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies..like 'Damn, here comes the sun. flare up!' -Dimitri Martin
cactusmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2003, 10:35 PM   #10
Alexia Ikyu
CP.net Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadePocky
does shinji have that blue undershirt? o.o

and..donate the pocky to me!
Yes, he does have a blue undershirt. (To be honest, it is a blue shirt with Pokemon on the back. You can see it through the white shirt if you look closely.)
Unread 09-20-2003, 11:17 PM   #11
oninomiko
Sheli-chan, nyu!

Ow ow! I think you make a super sexy Shinji! Oh yea! Oh baby! Haha, I love you Alex, supah sexy! *glomps and drags off* Untill next Otakon my love!
oninomiko is offline   Reply With Quote