Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #16
distantarray

I think done tastefully it's more accurate than roles played by guys mainly because a lot of anime characters are "pretty" and most guys look too masculine, and the body shape is so damn scrawny if a guy played it they'd be too muscular in a lot of them, or just end up looking too scrawny.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #17
zombisaurus
BRAVE★SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryouko View Post
I've been noticing this more of a trend at cons lately, and I like to see how the characters attire and appearance is altered to create the opposite gender version. It takes a lot of creativity and insight to pull it off well, so I say kudos to anyone who attempts it. n.n

I took a photo of one such cosplayer who did Kakashi at A-kon last weekend (if you are this cosplayer, please PM me, I can send you the high-res versions if you'd like. :3)

http://www.kampai-photo.com/photo/ga...gallery/29.jpg
http://www.kampai-photo.com/photo/ga...gallery/30.jpg

I was really, really impressed with her cosplay. @_@ Was so very beautiful and detailed.
I remember her! She was with the person cosplaying Naruto in a cup of ramen, right? I wish I'd taken a picture...! xD

CURRENT COVENTIONS
Ikkicon 2011
Tengu (RoboGeisha)ó -planning-
Military Academy!Makoto (BlazBlue: CT)ó 30%
Team Galactic female grunt (Pokemon: Platinum)ó 80%

Anime Matsuri 2011
Battle Dance (Pop'n Music)ó -planning-
BlackFire (Teen Titans)ó -planning-
Meg (Burst Angel)ó -25%
zombisaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #18
Vexation
make you feel alright.

I really don't like them. I'm a stickler for accuracy... do them as they were created, or just... just don't.

March: MOMOCON
pizzazz|jemandtheholograms|, nikki sixx|motleycrue:theaterofpain|, the warden|superjail|, rainbow dash|mlp:fim|
currentproject:
the warden

there's a bullet in the chamber & this is gonna hurt

You're so far in the closet,
you're in Narnia!
Vexation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #19
RenzokukenXIV
Mad Scientist

Currently working on a Femme Stein from Soul Eater, it kind of makes sense considering whats been going on in the manga. But being a person who loves accuracy it's pretty close to the normal version, it's simply the female version. I highly doubt I would ever attempt the regular Stein, which is why I sometimes look to female designs.

When it comes to female versions of characters, it really depends on the person and how they go about it. All the sexy-no-jutsu's of male characters are getting a tad out of hand. Once you put on a wig and a bikini it isn't much of a female version anymore. But when it's kept similar to the male equivalent, it has the potential to be awesome~
RenzokukenXIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #20
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantarray View Post
I think done tastefully it's more accurate than roles played by guys mainly because a lot of anime characters are "pretty" and most guys look too masculine, and the body shape is so damn scrawny if a guy played it they'd be too muscular in a lot of them, or just end up looking too scrawny.
Agreed. And so many animes, video games, manga, comics, etc. are predominantly male, video games in particular with lead female characters are few and far between, it only becomes natural after time that we're going to be drawn towards a male character. I don't see anything wrong with feminizing a male character, just as men masculine a female character. Cosplay is cosplay. Do what you want with it and have fun.
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #21
yakitunafish

Gender bender cosplays are cool as long as they're not just bs versions of the actual outfit while not being bound because of laziness. I admire any costume that looks good fufu;;;

If it's actually planned out, I think it's really interesting and creative!

*too prudish to answer on the sexy/slutty thing*
yakitunafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #22
MDA
Destiny Productions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
I've been thinking of how to do a female Sephiroth. I would not want to do it exactly like the guys do- with the coat wide open, and the addition of double-sided tape to keep the "girls" from getting loose. That would look hella skanky, IMHO, way more sexy than the male version.
I have girl!Sephiroth all figured out on how I'm going to do things. The shirt is up in the air at the moment. It's a tossup between a halter top (which might not happen as my neck hurts from wearing one after about an hour and a half) and another shirt that gives me support, but at the same time shows about 80% of my chest. (I'm going with Omtn-dnfanz from dA's design, already asked permission to use so I'm set for that). Though you're looking for coverage, so I don't think the two shirt ideas I have would work xD

I'll do female versions of male characters if I love the male enough to do it, and I know that I could never pull them off as a male (Roxas I can pull off, but not Sephiroth). And I don't always make gijinkas female, Articuno is the only female gijinka I've done, Gastly and Shaymin are male.

Sometimes, doing female versions is the only way a girl could cosplay a guy. Ones like Kamina, Sephiroth, or in super tight outfits (like Lancer from Fate/stay night @_@)
Madness of Duke Venomania Kaito Shion (Vocaloid) [70%] | Blake Belladonna (RWBY) [100%] | God Tier Jake English (Homestuck) [100%] | Nightie Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshihtsuji) [100%] | Condesce (Homestuck) [100%]

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #23
Musicalpencil
great now I'M the bad guy

The only time I gripe about it is when itís done solely to sexify and show more skin or when itís not done well that you canít tell itís a gender-bended version. I know two friends that have done this but one pretty much changed all but one bit of the outfit so she could flaunt more skin and get more photos, and the other had an outfit that just made her look like she didnít want to bind, especially since she's only cosplayed females so far.

So I pretty much agree with what others have already said, if it doesnít drift much from the original design and moreso that itís done well, it can work well.

As for sexy vs. slutty? I don't know. Thereís a fine line between sexy and slutty, not just with femme versions, but what determines that I still havenít figured out.

Murphy's Law of Cosplay:
"If she thinks for half a minute this is gonna be a stroll,
she can kiss my you-know-what 'cos you-know-who is in control!Ē
Musicalpencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 01:05 AM   #24
Cogetas
Ulquihime MUST DIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexation View Post
I really don't like them. I'm a stickler for accuracy... do them as they were created, or just... just don't.
I completely agree. I've never understood the point- it looks silly to me. To each their own.
Cogetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 01:06 AM   #25
VerrinEleni

I actually enjoy the idea of doing this -- it allows me to retain the character's personality, still be recognizable, and gives me the option of adding a detail or two of my own. However, I only enjoy a femme version of a character when it remains consistent with the character's personality. Something like a female Hiei from Yu Yu Hakusho in a mini-skirt and cleavage revealing top wouldn't interest me at all (and quite frankly would be kinda scary ^^;; ).

As for the sexy no jutsu thing, I personally feel it's way over done. I don't understand doing a sexy no jutsu version of a character in Naruto who wouldn't actually do it themselves (i.e. Zabusa ...O_o), much less someone from another series who isn't a ninja (although that would make the ending of Death Note a bit different XD). Not to mention I'm not interested at all in seeing someone showing off skin just to do so.

In regards to the sexy vs slutty issue, I believe that it is a type of scale, one that partially depends on the person's perspective. Something "sexy" is something that is intended to draw men's (or women's) attention to your body. It doesn't even have to show any skin -- it can simply be the fit of a jacket, the way makeup was applied, etc. On the other hand, something "slutty" not only draws sexual attention to you, it gives off the impression that sexual attention is the only kind of attention you are interested in, i.e. you're "easy." I think that the difference can even be as simple as the way the person acts. If there was a woman in shorts and a t-shirt acting overtly sexual and flirting inappropriately she could seem more sluttish to me than a woman in a bikini who's acting professionally or even casual.
VerrinEleni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 01:14 AM   #26
SirenaBlack
They're eating my people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart-RAT View Post
sexy: bikini top
slutty: pasties

i don't know if that's a good comparison but just use your best judgment try to avoid the "wardrobe malfunctions" such as having one of the girls fall out or your butt hanging out of your shorts.
I read that too fast and thought it said "having one of the girls fall out of your butt" XD lol that's a very strange mental image....Ahem, anyway, I agree.

I like seeing creativity and originality with cosplays. I'd like to see more guys doing male versions of female characters (I've seen a male Haruhi Suzumiya and a male Sakura from Naruto done really well). It's fun!

The way I approach it is "If this character was a girl instead of a guy, how would her clothes change?" It has to be true to the character. I don't think Sasuke would suddenly wear pasties of the Uchiha seal instead of a shirt, for example. Even characters like Major Armstrong (from Fullmetal Alchemist) who expose their bare male chests would not do that if they were female. A female version would still flex her muscles ect and keep the same mannerisms, but she would probably be wearing a tank top.

Yes, I put too much thought into this XD

(It's not just laziness that stops people from binding. Some of us are still looking for a way that isn't painful or hard to breathe in Please bear with us!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoMilly View Post
I plan on doing a femme Roy Mustang in the future, but it will probably only end up being a black long wig and no biding. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense to change the millitary uniform, so no big change.
Hey, I'm working on a femme Ed! Would a femme Roy wear a tiny miniskirt?
Going to ALA, Gallifrey One, and SPN Vegas Con
SirenaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 01:43 AM   #27
milk&honey
cooler than me

I absolutely detest this. Do the cosplay as it was originally created or move along to Yoko, like you will anyway. :/

C O S P L A Y
  • dietrich, trinity blood 25%
  • seek, with pv 50%
  • screaming mantis, metal gear solid 4 40%
milk&honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 02:00 AM   #28
SirenaBlack
They're eating my people!

Because when a male is reinterpreted as a female the character automatically becomes a ho! Wait a second...no they don't!
Going to ALA, Gallifrey One, and SPN Vegas Con
SirenaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #29
Nightwitch-Kat
Busty Princessa

I'm not a huge fan of snj cosplayers. I LIKE the ones who actually put EFFORT into the costume like the Kakashi shown earlier, but I HATE the girls who just wear Hot Topic clothes or bikinis and say 'I'm sexy-no-jutsu Sasuke'

~ Up coming Cosplays ~
  • Princess Peach - Super Smash Bros
Nightwitch-Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #30
Amanita

To those who say "do it as it was originally created", what about bare chested characters? Should we ladies not cosplay them? For Sephiroth, binding would not work due to the whole bare chest thing. And as I said before, a woman with a neckline that plunges open to the waist looks far more risque than a guy would, due to the sexualization of female breasts.

In my personal case, I couldn't go bare even if I wanted to- my "girls" are not conducive to that at all, and I'm no fitness model. So a shirt of some sort underneath would be the way to go- perhaps make it out of a white or silver fabric, with a texture that compliments the fabrics used in the rest of the costume.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote