Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-19-2010, 06:06 PM   #61
ashelia89
Visiting Gran Pulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowchrist View Post
After watching the Cell sagas of Dragon Ball Z to get a better feel for Android 18, I have found that I would absolutely love to do a Femme Perfect Cell. It's probably be the exact same design, only with the feminine silhouette and curves. ^^
OMG i always liked the perfect cell in the dbz series XD !!!! thats a fantastic idea by the way

anywho sorry off track there...*ahem*

i've been intrigued by this idea myself ! i've yet to do a gender bender but its not something i would completely rule out !

It could give me the liberty of not having to bind and worry about 'manning' up(details like specific make up etc) if i was to cosplay a male character...either -gender bending the character or crossplaying really i'd be happy all the same !-

i do agree with everyone here that gender bending should be done in a tasteful manner though !

maybe someone should make a "gender bending" bible/thread ?
The Hume's ever skew history's weave. With haste they move through too-short lives. Driven to err by base desires, towards waste and wasting on they run. Undying, we Occuria light the path for wayward sons of man. Oft did we pass judgment on them so that Ivalice might endure. Eternal, we are hist'ry's stewards, to set the course and keep it true. The chosen is our hand - our fist - to let live some and to crush the rest.
ashelia89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #62
hollowchrist
oi, watch it spaceman.

Thanks ashelia. I think I'll put it on my ever growing "Things I want to Cosplay" list. xD

super sailor chibi moon -- 85%
late but lucky (madness returns) -- planning

eBay | FaceBook | Marketplace
Add Me!
hollowchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #63
Amanita

I still want to do female Cloud and Sephiroth from FFVII: Advent's Children
Cloud could pretty much be done without altering the costume, Sephiroth would need a shirt or tank top under the coat. But those characters look cool enough that I wanna do them up
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #64
demifiend
Anonkira be praised...

I've no problem with it. What I do wonder is if doing a female-to-male cosplay would be acceptable, however. Given that anime tend to be flush with interesting female character designs, and for men, ah, not nearly as vibrant, it would be an interesting creative exercise.
Unread 06-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #65
DevTehFiend
Fiendishly Artistic

A thought I was just having while reading this was, how would you make a character in a school uniform recognizable when doing them as the opposite gender? That seems like a huge challenge, especially if the character doesn't have one of those unique hair colors. Of course people would be able to tell the show you're from based on the cut/color of the uniform, but other than that it seems like an impossible task.

Completed:
Aqua (Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep)

In Progress:
Princess Katia- Lost Kingdoms/Rune (making the mock-ups)
DevTehFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #66
SirenaBlack
They're eating my people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demifiend View Post
I've no problem with it. What I do wonder is if doing a female-to-male cosplay would be acceptable, however. Given that anime tend to be flush with interesting female character designs, and for men, ah, not nearly as vibrant, it would be an interesting creative exercise.
I've seen a male version of Sakura from Naruto and a few male Haruhi Suzumiyas. They were really well done and neat.
Going to ALA, Gallifrey One, and SPN Vegas Con
SirenaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #67
avskull
Seattle, WA cosplayer

female version of guile, duke nukem, kratos, terry bogard, and Char Aznable. I can't think of an more tasteful list.
Unread 06-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #68
Haku23

I don't mind genderbent cosplays if they're not just an excuse to get as naked as possible. : / Do whatever you want with your body but I don't have to like it ha ha! I want to do female versions of Metal Gear Solid characters but not the damn "Sweet Snake" versions. Those drive me nuts. =__=; They're just not practical dammit! XD I would basically just do the same costume except not bind, maybe have longer hair and have no beard. :|
Unread 06-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #69
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku23 View Post
I don't mind genderbent cosplays if they're not just an excuse to get as naked as possible.
This.

It's a female version, not a tasteless whore version. If you you want attention just flash randomly, you'll get it.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #70
BeepSushi
Gameshow Host

"My opinion, as I've expressed in other threads, is that people should cosplay whatever, however they want as long as it's not outright offensive by a reasonable person's standards."
This, exactly. I agree whole-heartedly.
As long as the person isn't prancing around in near-nothing, the gender-bending should be a-okay. Although, I do know people who frown upon 'female versions' and dub it with the name 'weaboo.' Which I don't understand at all, people can cosplay whatever they feel like, just leave them alone. Personally, some gender-bending cosplays turn out really spectacular when there's a design and effort put into them.
I'm definitely a supporter. :3
BeepSushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #71
Battousai-nii
Wanderer

Sometimes, it can be a very creative spin on the character, like a comedy fanfiction brought to life. I too saw a female Vash at AX that I liked very much. She had taken Vash's coat and turned it into a dress with straps. Other than the part with the straps and the way it was more form fitting, it looked exactly like Vash's coat, as if someone had taken Vash's coat and altered it. She had the hair, glasses guns, and boots down as well.

Now, as for those who take a character and make it female in order to be slutty, well, those are not worth the energy it takes to think about them.

Last edited by Battousai-nii : 06-20-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Battousai-nii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #72
SirenaBlack
They're eating my people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post
It's a female version, not a tasteless whore version.
It's amazing how often people get the two confused...
Going to ALA, Gallifrey One, and SPN Vegas Con
SirenaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 12:38 AM   #73
atlantisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevTehFiend View Post
A thought I was just having while reading this was, how would you make a character in a school uniform recognizable when doing them as the opposite gender? That seems like a huge challenge, especially if the character doesn't have one of those unique hair colors. Of course people would be able to tell the show you're from based on the cut/color of the uniform, but other than that it seems like an impossible task.
I think you'd need to get a group for that to be recognizable & also pay a lot of attention to detail and the props. The socks/shoes, if a jacket is left open, if a character doesn't wear a vest but the others do, etc. The small details really make a difference imo. c:

My deviantArt!
Upcoming cons: ALA, Anime Conji, Fanime, Anime Expo
atlantisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 01:00 AM   #74
Phanari
Phanari Rhun

You know the rule of sexy vs slutty, right? You can show a lil cleavage or a lil thigh or even a lil naval but you can't show more than one, MAYBE two at once. Which is what's so funny about Faye Valentine. She shows all three almost. lol
Phanari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #75
Miss.Wonderland
Akira Akemi

Curious of idea what do you think.

I am planning on going to AX2011 this coming year and i have two cosplay ideas in mind, i was curious to see what people thought.
The first one would be a female sasuke (yes i know over done) but rather than a skimpy outfit I thought something more character related would work. I was going to stick to the classic hair style and go with the cure mark, but for the main of the costume I am going to do a double layer kimono blue and white for colors, a little un-traditional is style and make it bigger so I can show the shoulder that is marked.
And for the second cosplay I am thinking of a female scorpion for mortal kombat. I want to take it a little bit out of character, really I just donít want to wear a body suit. But I thought combat boots with something like cargo pants, Iím still debating on the top but possibly a covering bikini, of course with a yellow tunic, and the mask. How well would you think white contacts would work, I would like to be ape to see versus the fully covering clouded contacts. And for my favorite part, to do black and yellow transitional dreads. I know how to make them and I think it could be epic.
Miss.Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote