Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Unread 07-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
builder396
Crossplayer

Cosplaying as a TANK

For one of the future years of my Gamescom visits i speculated with the idea of cosplaying a tank, specifically the french Char B1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Char_B1) due to its shape and construction. The idea isnt new, i already had it over one year ago, but i could never realize it.

The construction shouldnt be too hard, the vehicle would be made out of paper mache on a wooden or metal frame and scaled down a bit, so that i can strap it on my back, with my feet just about sticking out the rear of the engine compartment, so i can still walk normally, while my head would be somewhere in the crew compartment. Then i could for example lie flat with my stomach on a skateboard and essentially look like a small driving tank.

The track system would be basically fixed, no moving parts there, although I did want to make the both guns and the turret traversable and even put a primitive breech in it so i could essentially use small firecrackers inside the barrel to simulate shooting (or to launch rockets on new year). Other than that i would only need a few boxes inside for stuff as well as the ammo rack and a small periscope to look outside while im "driving".

I know its horribly impractical, but I would like to hear some opinions about it. Most of the construction is pretty much figured out, even the moving parts, but i havent started yet, so i am still open for some input.

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:
Char B1 (Its a TANK, its not from an anime, unless you mean Girls und Panzer)
Kaito Kid (Detective Conan/Case Closed and Magic Kaito)

Last edited by builder396 : 07-29-2014 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Changed to the Char B1
builder396 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

My first thought is that it's impractical for conventions, as you'd never fit through doors, or on elevators or escalators.

Second thought is that it would be a beast to store and transport.

If you make it work, it would be very popular.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #3
builder396
Crossplayer

Well, I will roam Gamescom this year again, so i can take a good look around if there are any narrow doorways i need to beware of, but as far as my memory goes, most passages are wide enough for 4-5 people to walk through side by side. And the height is also not a problem, i just need to lean forward. The tank would be only about 2 meters long, maybe a bit more, since the gun is rather short.

Also i should add cardboard as a construction material.

Also, Im thinking about doing a cosplayception with this one by also putting on a GuP cosplay under the tank, probably Sodoko, who in the anime commands a B1. But I dont know, if that gets too messy, i might scrap that idea again.

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:

Last edited by builder396 : 07-31-2014 at 06:26 AM.
Unread 07-31-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
talkenia
Random person #3

Gosh, I have seen people with tanks around their cosplays in a youtube video once, but that would be too much to look up now.

Basically they had constructed 1,5m long tanks out of cardboard and wore them over their shoulders with suspenders.
They wore them so it looked like they were driving in them though, so horizontally instead of vertically like you describe, with a simple hole in the top.

Currently in progress
-lady -DMC 3
-Alphonse Elric's full armour -FMA
talkenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 05:34 AM   #5
builder396
Crossplayer

Yeah, ive seen those too, but as you said, thats not really what im going for, as you said those people were usually wearing the tank like a kind of...skirt?

No, I am really going for an authentic look on the tank, that means right proportions, attention to details, etc.

I do know enough stuff about tanks in general aswell as about the B1 specifically to pull this off well enough. All im now thinking of is the construction. There are still a couple of bugs, but also more than enough time to work them out.

For example, the cast turret could be tough because of its rounded shape, it would be hard to do a wooden frame for it. Solution: Use wire to make a cage and then use paper mache to wrap it around that cage. Voila rounded shape.

Second thing that bothers me is the tracks, or rather the part that might hit the ground a few times when "driving", it could damage the costume. Im thinking of actually putting wooden planks under the tracks, so they absorb the impact if i hit the ground. Wouldnt look pretty though.

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:
Unread 08-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
Ironhill

My first thought was the inflatable tanks used in Operation Bodyguard to fool the Germans prior to the invation of Normandy.
Ironhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
builder396
Crossplayer

Yeah, I read about those, actually they used inflatable tanks even later, they had an entire regiment based around the concept, they had maybe one real tank at best, to make track marks on the ground, and a few transport vehicles. Everything else was just special effects: Inflatable tanks, sound systems, pyrotechnics, lightshows, inflatable artillery, anything you could want if you want to pretend to be an army, except for actual battle equipment, they only had a couple of rifles and transport vehicles, and with a lot of luck maybe one tank

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/05/29/p...e-rubber-army/

Here is something to read about these guys.

anyway, my cosplay will be a bit more than hot air.

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:
Unread 08-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #8
fvzz2

have you thought about doing the Stridsvagn 103 tank instead ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stridsvagn_103 ) as it does not have a turret so might be a little simpler to make and get around ?

Cooper: Anything else?

Megan: Yeah. What does 'bone' mean?

Spoon: Bone; Bollocks, naff.

Joe: Not. Very. Good.

Dog Soldiers
fvzz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 03:31 AM   #9
builder396
Crossplayer

Not a bad idea, but the tank isnt very iconic, as in few people recognize it, although i do. casemate tank with hydraulic suspension, but no gun laying equipment. Interesting, but not widely known.

But making a turret isnt that hard i suppose, all i need is a turret ring and a turret that fits inside the ring. Since its all cardboard and stuff i could turn it with my hands, so it really wouldnt be that hard.

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:
Unread 08-21-2014, 06:12 PM   #10
Ron Jr

Some young lady was dressed as a Panzer IV at Anime Next the last two years.
Ron Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2014, 06:17 AM   #11
builder396
Crossplayer

Pictures? Because there is a certain difference between this, this, this or this

The one I plan on doing goes close to the first.

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:
Unread 08-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #12
Syon

Since Gamescom has passed...do you have any idea yet, how you will be able to take stairs, which would be the main barrier to move around, I guess, since the halls and the ways are wide enough even for big costumes in general (still I wouldn't advice going to the most crowded areas in a fragile costume).

Next cosplay: Paladin tier 16 from WoW (blue/silver version)
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #13
builder396
Crossplayer

Going upstairs is easy since the costume mainly extends behind my feet. Going downstairs is tricky, but going backwards seems to be an easy solution.

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:
Unread 08-27-2014, 01:59 AM   #14
SatelliteCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder396 View Post
Pictures? Because there is a certain difference between this, this, this or this

The one I plan on doing goes close to the first.
Oh hey. That's me in the third picture.

So you're thinking of basically the tank being a big backpack, right? I'd recommend foamboard since that's what I used for my Pz IV. The wheels were also foam disks that I directly bought from the hobby store. I don't know if you're going to get all 30+ wheels, though since each side's wheels are obscured by the side armor, you may be able to simplify things to save money and effort. That side armor also looks nice in that it can keep the wheels from breaking off in the event of bumping them into a wall or something.

I used black gem rhinestone ribbon for the tracks. It's probably the most unusual use for craft store ribbon, but it works and the light reflection effect is nice.

I agree that the turret may be the hardest part since its all curved. Having it move should not be a problem - I super glued small wheels, the kind meant to go on sliding screen or shower doors, to the bottom of the turret. Gun traverse up/down is also possible. As for fitting through doors...I don't know how often you will have the costume on, but you will probably be constrained by both the width of a single typical convention door AND the ability for you to somewhat comfortably fit your body's width in, shoulders and all. This may mean that you will have to make the tracks thinner than expected to allow for more interior space width-wise.

Transport...well, I had an SUV available. It also helps that the movable turret is also detachable.

What helped immensely for the bulk of the construction was having a SketchUp file of the Pz IV to allow me to make the costume pretty much to scale. No one will care if it's perfectly to scale, though, so simplify things to save time. More importantly, ignore scale to prioritize getting through doors or up stairs. Also note the parts of the cardboard or whatever that may have to bear the weight of the entire costume - those MUST be reinforced by extra material.
SatelliteCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #15
builder396
Crossplayer

I planned on using a wooden or metal frame for the construction that could bear the weight while mounting any surface onto the frame (the same way russians used a metal frame to weld the armor plates onto when building their T-26 tank). That way its a lot more robust when it comes to bearing the weight, and repairs if necessary probably are easier that way. Also the frame just gives me hard points where i can grab and carry it or to mount the straps on. grabbing the flimsy cardboard (or foam or whatever i am going to use, not sure yet) could be less than ideal and actually damage it.

But as I said im still unsure about the surface material. Cardboard seems a bit cheap, but I have no experience with foam or anything else. (also no experience with cardboard really)

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:

Last edited by builder396 : 08-27-2014 at 04:01 PM.