Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Unread 11-18-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
Jigouku Chou
Survival Horror Addict

Transporting a hoop skirt

I'm going to be going on an overseas trip this summer and realized it'd be a great time to get some unique cosplay pictures, but I've only ever lugged my hoop skirt around with me in the back seat of my car on my way to the local cons and such.

Is there anyone who can teach me how to properly pack a hoop skirt?
Kingdom Hearts: Xion

NDK 2015:
Rose of Versailles: Oscar Francois de Jarjeyes
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt: Panty
Jigouku Chou is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Some of them have removable bones, which can then be coiled. Some have bones that allow the skirt to be folded into an 8 and then in half for a smaller circle. What kind of skirt do you have?
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
HayBails

When transporting my hoops (and I have some pretty large hoops) I normally pinch two opposite sides together (looks kinda like an infinity sign) then fold that into a normal trash bag. The bad normally with stay flat and such. It's been very nice with a small dorm room.
HayBails is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2014, 05:32 AM   #4
Satine

I got my paniers to D*C from New Zealand with the help of a friend but I essentially used sports tape to temporarily hold the ends of the bones in place.

I leave an opening in the tape and have a nice 10" overlap wherever the shape allows for a slightly flatter line. In paniers it's at the back, for any hoops that's potentially the front- unless the skirt is heavier in the back and it'll be a bonus little extra support.
I tape the ends of the bones and then pull the ends out, evenly on each side and gather the fabric over the remaining boning. The ends naturally fall in shape and the paniers conertina flat. I think I have a photo, if not I can get some.

Basically the paniers fit flat inside carry on luggage sized suitcases My short bustle fits inside a hat box, so it is very doable

If you use hoop wire and have it welded closed I'm not sure there is much you can do.

To help, you can also make a support of densely layered firm net, basically a classic tutu (not romantic, though that can help as well) to help give a little lift and life if there is not much time between unpacking and wearing. The net can be hung upside down over night and will pack down flat with anything weighty sitting on top. I have a bustle shape net petticoat made up of more than 30 yards of net that packs down to the size of a pillow, then, spring! And it can be laid flat with the weight of other costume elements to flatten it in transit.
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote