Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.64 average.
Unread 06-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #16
Aces

Unfortunately, some people might think you're cosplaying from Craptalia.
Aces is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #17
Amanita

I'm probably going to get roasted here, but I don't have anything against at least some WWII re-enactment style costumes. Personally, I would avoid nazi stuff because of its connotations. And I would not suggest wearing such an outfit to places where you're going to find large numbers of veterans. But at a con is different. If people can get away with cosplaying the likes of Saddam Houssein, Hitler, Jesus on the cross and the like, I'm pretty sure a WWII uniform is pretty tame in comparison, unless it's full of nazi symbols. As somebody mentioned, look at how many movies, video games, and other media use WWII as a theme. Is cosplaying from those sources always a bad thing? Unless you're acting in a disrespectful manner or crashing places like rememberance ceremonies, war memorials, or veteran's halls, I personally don't think it's always a bad thing to base cosplay off of WWII or other historical events.

About people in the street getting offended or upset, and there being no way to know their history- that's just it. You can't know everyone's history. But at the same time, where do you draw the line? Just about anything on this earth is going to offend somebody, somewhere, no matter how tame or controversial the subject matter. Do the people who are the most offended get to set the rules for everyone else? Or if not them, who?

Last edited by Amanita : 06-13-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #18
ashelia89
Visiting Gran Pulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
About people in the street getting offended or upset, and there being no way to know their history- that's just it. You can't know everyone's history. But at the same time, where do you draw the line? Just about anything on this earth is going to offend somebody, somewhere, no matter how tame or controversial the subject matter. Do the people who are the most offended get to set the rules for everyone else? Or if not them, who?
Thats a good question Amanita ,its a toughie...no one really has a way of knowing without trying...its like we're all subjected to being constant experiments of society in a weird manner...some folks stick to what they want to do and others just stay away from it,its the perceived threats people are thinking of when all of this happens...it could apply to any cosplay...just wearing a wig alone with a wrong shade of color could probably offend someone,its the play of relativity really...and life...
The Hume's ever skew history's weave. With haste they move through too-short lives. Driven to err by base desires, towards waste and wasting on they run. Undying, we Occuria light the path for wayward sons of man. Oft did we pass judgment on them so that Ivalice might endure. Eternal, we are hist'ry's stewards, to set the course and keep it true. The chosen is our hand - our fist - to let live some and to crush the rest.
ashelia89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #19
Amanita

I've heard of people getting carped on because their natural hair is an unusual shade, or unusual length. People will get offended at anything, it seems. So really- is the onus on us to make sure that nothing we do or wear is ever offensive to anyone? Or is the onus on the offended ones in one form or another? Perhaps to ask themselves just WHY any given thing offends them, or if their being offended gives them the right to try to censor the speech or dress of others, or to ask themselves if the offending thing should really be taken personally?

Case in point- a pregnant zombie costume spotted at the Melbourne Zombie shuffle in Australia. I learned about this through a web forum, which unfortunately has gone belly-up recently. But the gist of it is this- a lady at this event dressed as a pregnant zombie, complete with baby crawling out of her belly alien-style. She carried a sign reading "Maternity benefits or death!", obviously making a political statement. She got her picture put on the 'net.

This image was seen by a lady far away from Melbourne, who had suffered the loss of a child. She referred to herself as a "babylost momma", and hung out mostly with other grieving parents, to the exclusion of most of her other friends. And she blogged extensively on facebook, myspace, or some place like that, mostly about how various things personally offended her, because they referred in one way or another to the death of a child. You can imagine how she reacted to that zombie costume! She made a hate-filled post on her blog about how insensitive this zombie costumer was, even going so far as to wish child loss on that woman, saying that she deserved it for lack of empathy for grieving parents. How dare she dress like that?

So who has the problem here? Was that zombie cosplayer solely at fault? Does she really have to censor herself to protect the sensibilities of somebody hundreds or thousands of miles away? Or was it the offended "babylost momma" who needed to step back, calm down and realize that A- the zombie cosplayer didn't dress that way as an affront to her, personally. And B- As tragic as her loss is, it's not the world's responsibility to foam-pad itself for her?
Unread 06-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #20
ashelia89
Visiting Gran Pulse

I would say people have to learn they're not the only ones living on this Earth....other people try to communicate things too...whether they agree with them or not...its still there...the messages will come and go just as people do...the lady in the costume DOES sound pretty insensitive.*imho*..but theres laws that allow people to have a free sense of speech and communication...to censor that would be to censor outright the sense of being oneself really...the lady who lost the baby just needed to accept that theres people who dont think the same way she does...that people will have their differences...you cant talk down someone just because you disagree with them....and you cant harrass them in hopes of making them change..you cant force change...

its a mixed combination...society has its generalized claims of whats considered "off topic" and then theres the ones that are personal to people...

I know the OP of this thread meant no harm by asking who wears WW2 uniforms other than themselves,and I know you definitely didnt mean any offense either,everyone just has a different take on it really...in the end...none of us would be wrong since its our opinions based on our personal lives really!

things that truly would make it wrong would be harrassment,slandering and trying to hurt people...thats when it takes a turn from trying to communicate differences to trying to defend oneself...

this is just my take on the whole thing really...i spend a lot of time trying to understand how the world fits in all of these vast differences into most generalized terms...
The Hume's ever skew history's weave. With haste they move through too-short lives. Driven to err by base desires, towards waste and wasting on they run. Undying, we Occuria light the path for wayward sons of man. Oft did we pass judgment on them so that Ivalice might endure. Eternal, we are hist'ry's stewards, to set the course and keep it true. The chosen is our hand - our fist - to let live some and to crush the rest.
Unread 06-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #21
Amanita

Quote:
things that truly would make it wrong would be harrassment,slandering and trying to hurt people...thats when it takes a turn from trying to communicate differences to trying to defend oneself...
I got royally slagged here for mentioning a costume idea that I had once, based on real-world subject matter. An idea that I had thought about, but would probably never actually do, due to logistical and financial reasons. (I would need a partner to make it work, and the costumes would be rather elaborate and costly). One member of this forum even admitted to snooping into my online activities beyond this board!! Wow, creepy, paranoid and stalker-ish, anyone? To say nothing of the libellous comment he made on the forum, in regards to my mental state.
All of that because he didn't like a hypothetical costume idea.

Sometimes I think people really need to remember that freedom of speech and expression *gasp!* includes things that not everybody likes, stuff that's controversial, and things that aren't always politically correct.

I didn't see the zombie woman as insensitive, IMHO. She was conveying a message about maternity benefits, and tailored her costume to the event- a pregnant zombie would be right at home at a zombie shuffle. Had it been a hippie event, she would probably have been dressed as a pregnant hippy with a great big sunflower on her belly or something like that.
I didn't see her as making fun of parents who've lost children. I can see how a parent grieving over such a loss might find that outfit hard to take. But does it give them the right to try and censor it, or scream down the person wearing it?
Unread 06-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #22
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

This could have been a good thread, but you guys are really wanting a fight this week.

I clicked because I do WWII-era costuming. I know a lot of re-enactors, and while I'd love to get into that part of it, I don't have the time. Instead, I just do the costumes. I've NEVER had anyone say anything negative to me or about me when I'm in a costume or uniform. I even do MGS cosplay and regularly wear early 1960s gear, and no one thinks of it as anything but cool. And there are the guys who wear modern gear to cons not even trying to be a character.

Well, I would have loved to talk uniforms and gear on here, but looks like it's nothing but a big argument about whether we can/should wear these outfits or not. I'll come back once this opinion-slinging has died down and talk costuming.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #23
Amanita

I don't see any fighting here. On the first page, some people said they would get upset over WWII costuming, or think it's too soon. But I don't see anyone making personal attacks against you for doing it. I've seen REAL shit-fights over controversial cosplay, and this is nowhere close.

Unfortunately some folks can't seperate politics from costuming, as I've found out the hard way. Personally, I'm all for freedom of expression, and that includes costuming/cosplay. As long as you're not acting like an ass while in costume, I see no problem. I'm glad that your experiences have been positive, and nobody has given you grief for doing what you do.
Unread 06-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #24
ashelia89
Visiting Gran Pulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
I got royally slagged here for mentioning a costume idea that I had once, based on real-world subject matter

I can see how a parent grieving over such a loss might find that outfit hard to take. But does it give them the right to try and censor it, or scream down the person wearing it?
wow im sorry that happened to you that type of thing should never happen to anyone...

Not one bit ,its still freedom of speech for everyone,it would be a double standard if they got allowed to huff and puff (the parents) about it for as long as they could draw their breath but the woman in the costume couldnt even walk in the costume anymore for getting censored later on...
Unread 06-28-2010, 01:55 AM   #25
M_Fujiwara
Murasaki Fujiwara

Sorry for possibly necroing a dead thread, but I thought this was interesting, just becuase I, too, have an interest in doing a Hellsing cosplay that focus' on a Nazi uniform

I was talking to a guy that does allies re-enactments, and he advised, in place of a swastika, using an Iron Cross. His reasoning is that it would get the general idea across without being too offensive. Most kids wouldn't fully get it, and unless you knew a lot about nazi uniforms, most people probably wont get butthurt (sorry for being blunt).
M_Fujiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 02:20 AM   #26
M_Fujiwara
Murasaki Fujiwara

suggestion/comment/critique/question

Sorry for intruding, but I thought this was interesting, just becuase I, too, have an interest in doing a Hellsing cosplay that focus' on a Nazi uniform

I was talking to a guy that does WWII re-enactments, and he advised, in place of a swastika, using an Iron Cross. His reasoning is that it 'would get the general idea across without being too offensive. Most kids wouldn't fully get it, and unless you knew a lot about Nazi uniforms, most people probably wont get butt-hurt (sorry, just repeating his words)'.

I wandered in on this thread wondering about how angry people would get/do get on average about Nazi uniforms at cons, even if it is for a specific anime. I see a lot of people raging, mostly about Hetalia, (which is cute, but not very accurate costume-wise and I don't really count Germany as a Nazi/Hitler any more than I count Italy as a representation of Stalin (remember kids, Nazi was political party)). But I digress, sorry.

I'd love to do Rip Van Winkle someday, but I really don't feel like getting my eyes gouged out or causing drama.

My friend (WWII reenacter guy) assured me that he has yet to see anyone dressed as a Nazi attacked, and he seemed relatively encouraging, but he didn't know about cosplay context but seemed encouraging (Note: he doesn't know a thing about anime).

I honestly don't think people mean any disrespect by dressing up as a specific Nazi character from an anime: I certainly don't mean any disrespect. I had three grandparents in WWII, one was even in a concentration camp.

If it's so wrong to dress up as a Nazi-themed character, than is it no as equally offensive to first draw said character and therefore put the idea in the fan's heads?
M_Fujiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #27
FLIPINOMAD
The Geeky Panda

It depends on how your doing it and what for. Whenever I cosplay anything military I always try to be respectful in everyway.

Hardcore Gamer and Otaku, Half-Japanese and Half Filipino.
FLIPINOMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #28
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

I don't want to start another thread for a question I have, so I'm going to ask it here.

I'm doing two WWII costumes and wanted to get some help finding good reference for the fiber content of the costumes. This is for the historical masquerade at Costume-Con, so it's very important that I know these sorts of things through and through.

So, does anyone know a RELIABLE resource for information on the fiber content of 1945 Soviet and American dress uniforms? I don't want guesses as to what the content is (even educated guesses because I can guess "wool" myself). I need a reliable resource for that information - a book, a website, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #29
Tsumanne
History Nerd

I've been a WWII German historical re-enactor for 11 years and am a founding member of a group in Florida that has participated in productions for PBS and The History Channel. Hell, we even have a Kubelwagen and several motorcycles. But I've never once worn any of my WWII uniforms to an Anime or Video game related event with the exception of Comiket and Wonder Festival in Japan, but that has to do with the very generic nature of those two events and the strong presence of a WWII dedicated group of Japanese re-enactors doing multi-national impressions.

Anime and Video Game cons are for anime, video games, and related sub-cultures. Not my historically correct 3.SS Panzer-Grenadier Division Feldgendarerie impression. Which is honestly my favorite costume as I've invested years of study into it. But I save that for public history shows, museum events, and veteran's appreciation events. People go to those events specifically to see us in our WWII costumes, but at an Anime con you run the chance of catching people completely off guard. They didn't go to Artist's Alley to run into a 1944 Russian Front German field policeman.

You just have to be aware of what each con's focus is. I wear WWII costumes in order to educate those who want to learn about the horrors our grandparents endured and honor the veterans of all sides of war. Not to unnecessarily offend people. We have to remember, WWII is still in living memory. But Hetalia? A-OK. I mean, seriously. It's Hetalia lol

PS: sorry supergeekgirl, my knowledge is pretty much limited to the German side of things, but I do know that with some exception, most US and Soviet uniforms weren't made of wool. Winter coats sure, and some US units wore wool pants, but most items were of a different material. The standard Soviet combat uniform is actually this really really thin material, no idea what it's made of though.

Event Calendar:
Megacon - Florida, USA: March
Bay Area Renaissance Festival - Florida, USA: March
Sun n' Fun International Fly-In and Expo - Florida, USA: April
Comic Market 86 - Tokyo, Japan: August

Last edited by Tsumanne : 07-22-2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Saw Supergeek'
Tsumanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #30
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumanne View Post
PS: sorry supergeekgirl, my knowledge is pretty much limited to the German side of things, but I do know that with some exception, most US and Soviet uniforms weren't made of wool. Winter coats sure, and some US units wore wool pants, but most items were of a different material. The standard Soviet combat uniform is actually this really really thin material, no idea what it's made of though.
Darn. I'm going to have to find some old uniforms myself. I'm doing dress uniforms. I'm thinking NKVD for the Soviet uniform, and I'm not sure what to choose for the U.S. uniform (but it would be a woman's uniform). My guess at wool is made entirely on Vietnam-era dress uniforms as the only WWII-era stuff I own is coats.

And I think the costumes will fight in just fine at Costume-Con considering it's the historical masquerade, and last year all I wore was military stuff except for during the F&SF masquerade.