Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average.
Unread 03-18-2011, 01:12 AM   #61
ten_again
ten

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brsis View Post
Can anyone point me to some good resources or potential resources for BRITISH women's WWII uniforms of various stripes? I'm specifically looking for the UK version of the motor core (Driver's uniform) and/or any kind of RAF uniform (I know there were women manning the targeting of anti-aircraft guns - but not the shooting - and flying Spitfire delivery, but I can't find out whether or not they had uniforms or what they looked like) but I'll take the WRENs if there's nothing better going. The people I've contacted so far have mostly replied along the lines of "We can give you nurses - just be a nurse" but I am not much enamoured of the idea of being a nurse.

Plus, y'know, with the nurse hat I wouldn't be able to do victory rolls and their outfits aren't exactly suited to dancing, and I'm going to be going to a major shindig in this getup.
Have you considered the ATS? Most of the women in our club wear ATS uniforms for British.
Our site is in Dutch, but the pictures speak for themselves.

http://www.livinghistory.nl/index.ph...d=8&Ite mid=9
Soldier of Fortune has some of the stuff, amongst other things:

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/index.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergeekgirl View Post
He is doing a costume with me. His was actually, somehow, easier to research. It's an NKVD State Security major's service uniform. We're using them for a skit and then probably wearing them at a bunch of cons after that. The skit is called "Cold War: The Musical".
Excellent! Don’t know too much about the Russian uniforms, as the war in western Europe is my speciality. But the skit sounds something like ‘Springtime for Hitler’.

Hope to see the pictures one day.

Quote:
I do love the chain, including the lingerie she's wearing there, but I don't really have the body to do it.
Nonsense. I have seen your pictures. Don’t sell yourself short.

Quote:
If I ever do, because I love Madonna so much, I just might. And I was really debating hard between the suit and the green dress because green is my favorite color.
I say, go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergeekgirl;3848755No, thanks for looking at my pictures. I love when people do. I haven't updated on here since October as it's a pain in the ass getting stuff sized correctly to upload here. I put most of my cosplay on deviantART now. [url
http://slythgeek.deviantart.com/[/url]
Well, people are looking. I’ll have a look at the deviant art later on when I have more time.
ten_again is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-18-2011, 01:28 AM   #62
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

If I used a variant uniform of my Grandfather who fought in the war, and on his behalf wore it, would that be considered historical cosplay?

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 03:42 AM   #63
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_again View Post
Have you considered the ATS? Most of the women in our club wear ATS uniforms for British.
Our site is in Dutch, but the pictures speak for themselves.

http://www.livinghistory.nl/index.ph...d=8&Ite mid=9
Soldier of Fortune has some of the stuff, amongst other things:

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/index.asp
Hmmm, I get a lot of variations coming up on Google Images but in principle the 'dress' uniform with the a-line skirt will work (I may even be able to sneak in some hidden gussets into a similar styled skirt for dancing, but it's already much more suitable than the Wrens). I need to rewatch Foyle's War but I managed to find out what the motor core was actually called so that's another lead (I liked the spats...). I'll check out those websites, thanks!

Now I just need to source my olive drab - I wonder if we can still sweet talk Stores...
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 06:48 AM   #64
ten_again
ten

Funny thing is, I was going to sugest watching Foyle's War to you, Brsis. We all love our Sam, don't we?

Soldier of Fortune has WLA and ATS insignia, but I believe the MTC insignia are a lot harder te find.

Depening on how much time you have for it, Ebay is your best option I would say.

Volnixshin, I guess it all depends on the occasion and the uniform in question. But I'm guessing your grandfather wasn't in the SS, so it should be allright if you ask me.
Unread 03-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #65
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Finding OD wool has proven all but impossible for me. I'm dying my own, especially when I have $125 in Hancock gift cards from the fleece contest.

The Army Museum has suddenly decided to cooperate and send me the picture I requested. I'll tell you what I find out.

These are the books I saw before:

http://www.amazon.com/World-Allied-W...ref=pd_sim_b_3

http://www.amazon.com/Women-at-War-1...ref=pd_sim_b_1

Not exactly British only, but I've seen some of the plates in there. They seem useful.

I'd love some good book recs that are just historical fiction set during WWII if anyone has some. I read Jackdaws by Ken Follett, and it was pretty good. I like a good character story. While I work on my costumes, I think I'm going to binge on the Marlene Dietrich movies I got for Christmas.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!

Last edited by supergeekgirl : 03-18-2011 at 10:24 AM.
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #66
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

Quote:
Funny thing is, I was going to sugest watching Foyle's War to you, Brsis. We all love our Sam, don't we?
I love that series so. Her real name is Honeysuckle Weeks! Squee!

It's for my Grandad's birthday party (He sort of missed VE day so we're doing it again!) so I've got about two and a half months and a convention in the middle of it. I'm probably going to end up cobbling something together quickly, but it would be nice to have it good ENOUGH that I can actually finish it up afterwards and have it decently accurate. I'd wear my (Multiple iterations removed from an actual military uniform but vaguely the right colour, I may end up using the jacket for the party anyway) Hetalia Igiko uniform but the skirt is corsetted from underbust to knee and I have a sneaky feeling I'm going to be expected to Lindy Hop.

@supergeekgirl, I'm afraid I have no recommendations beyond Empire of the Sun (Er, unless Slaughterhouse 5 counts. Which I think it doesn't) but Marlene Dietrich <3
Unread 03-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #67
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

Quote:

Soldier of Fortune has WLA and ATS insignia, but I believe the MTC insignia are a lot harder te find.

Depening on how much time you have for it, Ebay is your best option I would say.

Volnixshin, I guess it all depends on the occasion and the uniform in question. But I'm guessing your grandfather wasn't in the SS, so it should be allright if you ask me.
Gosh no, he was on the US forces.

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #68
ten_again
ten

Quote:
Finding OD wool has proven all but impossible for me. I'm dying my own, especially when I have $125 in Hancock gift cards from the fleece contest.
Iím pretty sure itís really hard to get a hold of. Most companies I know have their own fabricated in India, and that is only worth it for them because they produce large quantities of uniforms.

Quote:
The Army Museum has suddenly decided to cooperate and send me the picture I requested. I'll tell you what I find out.
Excellent! Good for you.

Quote:
These are the books I saw before:

http://www.amazon.com/World-Allied-W...ref=pd_sim_b_3

http://www.amazon.com/Women-at-War-1...ref=pd_sim_b_1

Not exactly British only, but I've seen some of the plates in there. They seem useful.
These are both books from the Osprey series, which is a great series. They always have great color drawings in the middle and explain the uniforms on them in the back of the book. But I usually prefer to get books that contain (preferably color) pictures of the original uniforms. The one that usually serves me best for US uniforms is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/GI-Collectors-...d_bxgy_b_img_b

Not such a great historical resource, but lots and lots of pictures. Unfortunately for you guys, there is only one chapter on womenís uniforms in that one.

The books I have on British and Canadian forces have even less information about womenís uniforms. I do know that there are quite a few people out there collecting them though. Used to know a guy that collected Womenís WW2 uniforms and we went to a lot of military fairs together . He was 6í6Ē and I used to joke with him that he would never be able to squeeze into those.

Quote:
I'd love some good book recs that are just historical fiction set during WWII if anyone has some. I read Jackdaws by Ken Follett, and it was pretty good. I like a good character story. While I work on my costumes, I think I'm going to binge on the Marlene Dietrich movies I got for Christmas.
Well, it may not be historical fiction, but if the period interests you I can really recommend the books written by Stephen Ambrose. And the same goes for the books by Donald R. Burgett.
Iím reading the books by Mark Zuehlke at the momen t, as I am concentrating on the Canadian forces.
For fiction, you canít beat the classics like Alistair Mac Leanís Guns of Navarone. Even better than the movie.
Quote:
I love that series so. Her real name is Honeysuckle Weeks! Squee!
I know! Isnít that like Łber cute!
Quote:
It's for my Grandad's birthday party (He sort of missed VE day so we're doing it again!) so I've got about two and a half months and a convention in the middle of it. I'm probably going to end up cobbling something together quickly, but it would be nice to have it good ENOUGH that I can actually finish it up afterwards and have it decently accurate.
What a wonderful idea.
Quote:
I'd wear my (Multiple iterations removed from an actual military uniform but vaguely the right colour, I may end up using the jacket for the party anyway) Hetalia Igiko uniform
You know, I had never even heard about Hetalia until I came on to this forum. But the name keeps showing up in uniform related costume threads. What is it about? A WW2 anime or something?
Quote:
but the skirt is corsetted from underbust to knee and I have a sneaky feeling I'm going to be expected to Lindy Hop.
A lot of people in my re-enactment group are very much into WW2 dances and dance contests.
Quote:
@supergeekgirl, I'm afraid I have no recommendations beyond Empire of the Sun (Er, unless Slaughterhouse 5 counts. Which I think it doesn't) but Marlene Dietrich <3
Slaughterhouse 5 is very poignant, because a lot of it is based on Vonnegutís personal experience. Not sure if he was actually abducted by aliens though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volnixshin View Post
Gosh no, he was on the US forces.
Interesting!
May I ask what outfit he was in?
Unread 03-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #69
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:

You know, I had never even heard about Hetalia until I came on to this forum. But the name keeps showing up in uniform related costume threads. What is it about? A WW2 anime or something?
Kind of. It's kind of a brief, rather convoluted history of the world, most of which, in the show, takes place during WWII.
Let me describe it a bit better. It's a series of 5-minute shorts based on a webcomic that portrays each country of the world as a person and the wars and events of history as moments in their personal relationships with each other. When countries become allies, they date or become friends. Battles are arguments or phone conversations or other such things. I'm not sure I'd recommend it. You'll pull your hair out on all of the fallacies, but it's actually kind of fun for a history buff who likes yaoi (like me).
Unread 03-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #70
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

Quote:
Kind of. It's kind of a brief, rather convoluted history of the world, most of which, in the show, takes place during WWII.
Let me describe it a bit better. It's a series of 5-minute shorts based on a webcomic that portrays each country of the world as a person and the wars and events of history as moments in their personal relationships with each other. When countries become allies, they date or become friends. Battles are arguments or phone conversations or other such things. I'm not sure I'd recommend it. You'll pull your hair out on all of the fallacies, but it's actually kind of fun for a history buff who likes yaoi (like me).
Basically this ^.^

There isn't a huge amount of history in the series - I mean, broadly the events they actually name and date are correct but they get very fuzzy otherwise - but it's painfully cute and funny, and some of the fans are MEGA history fanatics. Er, and some of them aren't. And a five minute investment of your time is not a massive loss if you don't like it!

The uniforms are also somewhere between slightly and way off, and especially since I do female version of male characters, all of my costumes look like they belong in a high school or a fetish fair, not a parade ground ;shrug;
Unread 03-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #71
FalconW

I'm also a WWII cosplayer, well sort of. The video game I cosplay from takes place in WWII. However, trying to find the khaki-like colored Afrika Korps uniforms aren't easy at all, so all I did was piece together thrift store clothes with some minor edits to make the uniform. Would love to find an accruate replica uniform to use.

On the point of wearing German uniforms outside of a con, some uniforms I can see a problem with, like the black SS uniform, but, in my case, unless you are familiar with the Afrika Korps, I doubt most people would see it as a Nazi uniform.

Last edited by FalconW : 03-23-2011 at 07:04 PM.
FalconW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 06:31 AM   #72
ten_again
ten

Hello FalconW,

there are plenty of accurate Afrika Korps reproductions out there, but they tens to be quite expensive. Soldier of Fortune had some good ones, but I think they sold out.

I see your point about you believing an Afrika Korps uniform to be less of a problem, but it really depends on where you are wearing it as well. I realise the swastika is far less obvious on the DAK uniform, but there are still people that are going to take offence at that.

In most countries you could probably get away with it, but I know that in the Netherlands walking around like that in public is quite liable to get you arrested. We have strict laws around here regulating the wearing of those uniforms to designated venues and for educational purposes.

I'm not saying I would object, but there are plenty of people who would. And that again would very much depend on how you behave while wearing them. If you are lecturing people about the DAK and showing them what the uniform was like, there should be no problem.

If you are however goin g to walk around giving the Nazi salute, that just wouldn't work.

Unless you gave the Nazi salute with both hands in the air, as the canadian soldiers witnessed the Nazi's do so many times when they liberated our country...
Unread 03-25-2011, 07:11 AM   #73
FalconW

I appreciate your response ten_again. I think I worded by posted about wearing the uniforms in public a little wrong. I more of meant if you're wearing it for a photoshoot in public. I understand that some people would not like seeing someone wearing a Nazi uniform. Like for mine, I plan to do an outdoor photoshoot with it sometime in the summer when the weather is better but will be prepared to answer any questions regarding it if someone comes up and asks me why I'm wearing it.
FalconW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #74
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

FINALLY!!!! I've been mostly gone from the forums in order to focus on our costumes, and I finished them for Costume-Con 29 in NYC this past weekend. Here's a picture: http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/l...t=IMG_3178.jpg

I still need a 48-star flag.
Unread 05-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #75
Leadmill
Looks good in uniform...

Currently working on a Dieselpunk project based off a WW2 Brit Paratrooper.
A friend of mine who supplies a lot of kit to the re-enactment/film industry is sorting me out with all the kit needed. Most of it issue some of it repro. Will be 'punking it with custom insignia, a minigun and some other bits and bobs.

Current Cosplay Projects
Nights Watch Brother (Game of Thrones) - 70%
Shy Guy (Mario Warfare) - 90%
Leadmill is offline   Reply With Quote