Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.64 average.
Unread 05-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #76
Scorpion89
The Master

WWII and WWI Uniforms ask away

Hello All,

I might be able to help with many of your question regarding WWI and WWII Uniforms along with US Civil War and Rev War stuff. I'm a re-en-actor mainly I do Civil War and WWII. I also do WWI as a Pilot both Allied and German, as for WWII stuff I mainly do German Airforce and Army Air Corp stuff.

I'm not sure how many of you live in the USA or on the East Coast but if your really interested in seeing what WWII Uniforms look like up close may I suggest you try to attend any of the following Airshow. WWII Weekend Reading Penn put on by the Mid Atlantic Air Museum this is the largest WWII re-en-actor gathering in the United States this years show is June 4-6, Fighter Factory Annual Airshow at Virgina Beach VA this event is May 21-22 they always have a large group of WWII folks, Thunder over Michigan July 23-24 Ypsilanti Michigan and Geneseo Airshow July8-19 Geneseo New York. I will be at all of these show either in Uniform or flying and aircraft in the show.

For our friend in England may I suggest you try to get to Duxford for Legends not sure what the date is but a quick search you should be able to find it they have the largest gathering of WWII folks every year.

As for the girl looking for a English Womens Uniform what branch are you looking at would be my first question.

As for the person doing the Afrika Corp there are plenty of good repo uniforms out their check around most of them are priced right.

Here is an idea what Reading looks like,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pby5a/s...7605503587657/

Unread 05-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #77
Ironhill

I live about 35 miles north of Reading but never went to the airshow. I think this year I should.
Ironhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #78
Scorpion89
The Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhill View Post
I live about 35 miles north of Reading but never went to the airshow. I think this year I should.
Yes you should this year for the simple fact that the only airworthy B-29 will be their this year. Here is a link to the Museum airshow page.

http://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html

Oh and here is another reason to come.

http://www.maam.org/wwii/ww2_guests.htm

Last edited by Scorpion89 : 05-07-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Scorpion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #79
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Wow...I was just looking through those pictures, and I was very impressed with the historical re-enactor portraying General Douglas MacArthur. He really looks like the real thing! I can even picture him saying "I shall return!".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pby5a/2...57605503587657
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #80
Scorpion89
The Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
Wow...I was just looking through those pictures, and I was very impressed with the historical re-enactor portraying General Douglas MacArthur. He really looks like the real thing! I can even picture him saying "I shall return!".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pby5a/2...57605503587657
Thanks yes General MacArthur does play him great now for fun can you name the other Generals around him. Also we have a guy that come's every year that does General Patton I have yet to get photo's of him doing the famous speech that Patton did (If you have scene the movie then you know which one I'm talking about) because everytime he is on stage I'm in the air doing air to air work but not this year I plan on finally shooting the speech
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #81
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Thanks yes General MacArthur does play him great now for fun can you name the other Generals around him. Also we have a guy that come's every year that does General Patton I have yet to get photo's of him doing the famous speech that Patton did (If you have scene the movie then you know which one I'm talking about) because everytime he is on stage I'm in the air doing air to air work but not this year I plan on finally shooting the speech

You have a General Patton?! And he does THE George C. Scott speech?! Ooooh! That must have been something to watch!

Wait a minute...Wow..you fly those planes too? Which one? It wouldn't happen to be a a P-51 Mustang, P-40 Warhawk, or an F4U Corsair would it?
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #82
Scorpion89
The Master

Quote:
You have a General Patton?! And he does THE George C. Scott speech?! Ooooh! That must have been something to watch!

Wait a minute...Wow..you fly those planes too? Which one? It wouldn't happen to be a a P-51 Mustang, P-40 Warhawk, or an F4U Corsair would it?
Yes we have a Patton if you look in the Reading stuff their is a photo of him in his WC-50 Staff Car going down the L-Bird Flight Line. And yes he does the movie speech. As for flying yes on the P-40 and F4U but I mainly fly the Warbugs or better know as L-Birds. I used to own a DH-60B Tiger Moth.
Unread 05-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #83
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Yes we have a Patton if you look in the Reading stuff their is a photo of him in his WC-50 Staff Car going down the L-Bird Flight Line. And yes he does the movie speech. As for flying yes on the P-40 and F4U but I mainly fly the Warbugs or better know as L-Birds. I used to own a DH-60B Tiger Moth.
Wow...You flew a P-40 and a Corsair before? That's pretty impressive!

You also used to own a DH-60?! That must have been something! Those planes were used during the Spanish Civil War & the Sino-Japanese War, and even predates WWII. Where in the world did you find that plane? Was that an actual period DH60 or a newer model?

Last edited by Hakaider : 05-07-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Unread 05-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #84
Scorpion89
The Master

Quote:
Wow...You flew a P-40 and a Corsair before? That's pretty impressive!

You also used to own a DH-60?! That must have been something! Those planes were used during the Spanish Civil War & the Sino-Japanese War, and even predates WWII. Where in the world did you find that plane? Was that an actual period DH60 or a newer model?
I recover it from the woods it crash in the early 50s I rebuild and kept it for a few years sold it to a guy in England I think it is now Downunder.

I used also own a DH-82
Unread 05-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #85
11thDrWho

I do World War 2 Re-enactments and History presentations at Schools, Comunity Groups, Vaiours historical sites and from my personal Experience of being dressed both as Allied and Axis from Verterans I have only ever recieved praise and thank yous. As one Veteran told me and my group, "You can't have a proper re-enactment without the enemy and I am proud of what you're doing." This really got to me I will be honest it brought a tear to my eye.

Now all the gear we use is authentic World War Two uniforms, weapons and memorabilia and is worn as a mark of respect and to educate people on what happened in that dark time in our History.

I hope this helps.
Unread 05-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #86
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

Taken at C2E2 last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampricyoda View Post
I think this sort of costume is best used for historial purposes and not convention based cosplay. Same thing boils down to any military based costume that's meant to be a prefect reinactment. I feel like that sort of costume and the time and effort it takes to do well would be better used for historical reinactment and/or tours.
I disagree wholeheartedly. I've gotten a lot of attention when wearing my Paratrooper around conventions. At CONvergence, there were people who were re-enactors (which I am not), and we were messing around because in my shoulder pocket is a recreation of a map from the period of St Mere De L'eglise, and we were messing around plotting an attack route. I usually carry a flask in one of the pockets, a zippo, and wear a Camp Toccoa shirt underneath too, just for some fun authenticity.

Last edited by dagmarus : 05-18-2011 at 07:32 AM.
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #87
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

ah, damn, double post.
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #88
Ironhill

I just got back from the WWII weekend at the Reading Airport in Reading, PA. Very impressive. I even got to watch some 101 reinactors attack a German StuG assult gun. But now I want to start reinacting. Another hobby I'm going to spend a lot of money on.
Ironhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #89
Scorpion89
The Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhill View Post
I just got back from the WWII weekend at the Reading Airport in Reading, PA. Very impressive. I even got to watch some 101 reinactors attack a German StuG assult gun. But now I want to start reinacting. Another hobby I'm going to spend a lot of money on.
Yes it is, are you going on Sunday
Unread 06-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #90
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

I met a few people who were going to that when I was at Marcon last weekend. Wonder if they did...
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote