Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.76 average.
Unread 06-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #91
Ironhill

No, I didn't make it on Sunday, wish I could have. I do plan to go to the Bridge at Remagen event in Tidioute, PA. Not as an reinactor, just as a spectator. Though I might do a WWII Civil Defence air raid warden. I saw one of those at Reading.
Ironhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #92
Zhor'Fughakee
Wasteland Plague Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamachan247 View Post
does anyone know a good place where I can find something close to the black SS uniform's the Germans wore. I'm trying to find a pattern but I'm stuck
I saw some last year on eBay, maybe you could buy one there

http://cgi.ebay.ca/WW2-German-M32-Bl...item3a60a9ca4c
Unread 06-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #93
Ironhill

atthefront.com is a supplier for WWII reinactors. They carry a full line of German uniforms.
Unread 07-17-2011, 06:04 AM   #94
doctorjackal777

I've always really wanted to do Nazi SS uniform because, naziness aside it is a really smart looking uniform. I talked to some friends about it when we went out for lunch the other day and they seemed all for it. As far as uniforms go they agreed the SS ones look amazing. What do you think of me maybe wearing it to a convention? Like maybe using it as a base to do a Hetalia cosplay.
doctorjackal777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #95
Scorpion89
The Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjackal777 View Post
I've always really wanted to do Nazi SS uniform because, naziness aside it is a really smart looking uniform. I talked to some friends about it when we went out for lunch the other day and they seemed all for it. As far as uniforms go they agreed the SS ones look amazing. What do you think of me maybe wearing it to a convention? Like maybe using it as a base to do a Hetalia cosplay.
May I suggest that if you want to cosplay a German Uniform that you look at other branches try the Luftwaffe or the Kriegsmarine. I can go into many reason why no one should every Coplay anything that has to do with the SS but your seem to be a smart one so think about it first.

Personally if I was on Staff at a Kon you were attending with a SS Uniform on I would ask you to go and change.
Unread 07-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #96
Ironhill

One of the things you have to remember when you wear a uniform is that you are showing support for what the uniform represents. At a WWII reinactment weekend it would fit in just fine but elsewhere it might cause problems. I don't follow Hetalia so I don't know if they actually use the Swasticka or SS markings. If you are just using the look of the uniform for a cosplay, you might want to remove the insignia.
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #97
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

I agree that the uniform looks sharp, but I also agree that you're likely to be told to change. Now, personally, I understand that, at a convention, a costume is a costume, and I don't expect that people in costume actually WANT to be like their characters, but I also say that you should stay out of the kitchen if you can't stand the heat. People WILL be angry if you wear a Nazi uniform, especially if they don't recognize it right away as a character. The SS IS Nazi, not simply German military.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #98
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

Quote:
The SS uniform isn't used in any official Hetalia art, with or without insignia.

Aside from the convention staff likely being uncomfortable with it, you are likely to get negative responses from other Hetalia fans. As a group en mass, we have a (partially deserved, due to the irresponsible actions of some) bad reputation, and many fans are now very aware of what is going to make them look even worse. You will inevitably find yourself on 'bad cosplay' websites, being chewed over on the Hetalia communities, and any pictures that get taken will follow you forever all over the internet with cruel comments attached to them because you are not the first person to have this idea and this is what always happens.

It's just kinda not cool.

If you really like the uniform and the history surrounding it, great! Find a WWII re-enactment society or some other legitimate venue, or else keep it for private occasions. If you want something you can wear to a general convention and just really like the styling and the look of it, why not look into a military styled anime series (Something like Dolls maybe) or OC it, switch out all the insignia and probably also the accent colours, but keep the cut and the lines that make it so smart looking. Or look into the hundreds of equally (In my eyes at least) smart and good looking uniforms which are less problematic to build a Hetalia cosplay on.
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #99
Scorpion89
The Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brsis View Post
The SS uniform isn't used in any official Hetalia art, with or without insignia.

Aside from the convention staff likely being uncomfortable with it, you are likely to get negative responses from other Hetalia fans. As a group en mass, we have a (partially deserved, due to the irresponsible actions of some) bad reputation, and many fans are now very aware of what is going to make them look even worse. You will inevitably find yourself on 'bad cosplay' websites, being chewed over on the Hetalia communities, and any pictures that get taken will follow you forever all over the internet with cruel comments attached to them because you are not the first person to have this idea and this is what always happens.

It's just kinda not cool.

If you really like the uniform and the history surrounding it, great! Find a WWII re-enactment society or some other legitimate venue, or else keep it for private occasions. If you want something you can wear to a general convention and just really like the styling and the look of it, why not look into a military styled anime series (Something like Dolls maybe) or OC it, switch out all the insignia and probably also the accent colours, but keep the cut and the lines that make it so smart looking. Or look into the hundreds of equally (In my eyes at least) smart and good looking uniforms which are less problematic to build a Hetalia cosplay on.
I agree with you 100% as someone who does WWII Re-Acting I'm with a German Luftwaffe United that is why I suggest either the Air force or the German navy they both have one offensive uniforms. If you want to Cosplay with a German Uniform then be smart about it.
Unread 07-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #100
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brsis View Post
Aside from the convention staff likely being uncomfortable with it, you are likely to get negative responses from other Hetalia fans. As a group en mass, we have a (partially deserved, due to the irresponsible actions of some) bad reputation, and many fans are now very aware of what is going to make them look even worse.
Oh, yes! PLEASE be the Hetalia fan who knows, loves, and understands history rather than the one who wears the uniform just because it looks good. A Hetalia fan who knows the story (and implications) of a uniform is always a better Hetalia fan IMHO.

And don't think you CAN'T wear uniforms to a convention. Uniforms are awesome, but without a deep knowledge of WHAT you're wearing and an understanding of the consequences of wearing it, you shouldn't even start the project.

People loved our uniforms at ACEN. Granted, 90% of the con thought we were from Hetalia, but I knew that would happen going in. I accept and go on instead of crying over the ignorance or simple mistakes of others.
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #101
doctorjackal777

My friend just suggested we swap out the insignias for smily faces and go as the SS-Smily Brigade. I dunno if thats such a good idea though.
Unread 07-19-2011, 03:25 AM   #102
Scorpion89
The Master

Quote:
My friend just suggested we swap out the insignias for smily faces and go as the SS-Smily Brigade. I dunno if thats such a good idea though.
OMG Face palm-really do you know anything about what the SS did they actually had a Brigade that sort of did what your suggesting in Poland.

Why not just do what I suggest and look into the two other German Military branches.
Unread 07-19-2011, 03:57 AM   #103
doctorjackal777

But I'm not interested in any of the other uniforms. If I was we wouldn't be having this conversation. *sigh* Why are my friends the most open minded out of everyone here?
Unread 07-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #104
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
But I'm not interested in any of the other uniforms. If I was we wouldn't be having this conversation. *sigh* Why are my friends the most open minded out of everyone here?
Okay. Guess they are. Or perhaps they're the least educated on World War II history. Don't really know because I've never met them.

Most of us are saying that, sure, you can wear the uniform, but don't whine when you get told to change or end up with your pictures all over the internet captioned with nasty things. M'kay?
Unread 07-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #105
Scorpion89
The Master

Quote:
Really maybe if you should 1 ask some question about those other uniforms 2 Try listing to what all of us are saying 3 Do some research on who and what the SS did during WWII then you might understand why we feel the way.

Speaking as a former Staff person for Comicon I can tell you this if I say you wearing an SS Uniform you would be ask to leave and change oh and this is a stander policy of most Cons in North America.