Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average.
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #106
doctorjackal777

I did research the SS and yes they were ordered to do some pretty horific things. But then again the Americans dropped the atom bomb on Japan and I don't see anyone banning American military cosplay on account of that. Also I don't live in America.
doctorjackal777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #107
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjackal777 View Post
My friend just suggested we swap out the insignias for smily faces and go as the SS-Smily Brigade. I dunno if thats such a good idea though.
If you don't know if it's a good idea, assume it's not a good idea. It's an extremely touchy subject and one that's probably far better for everyone concerned if you play it safe.

Presumably if you're wanting to make up a Hetalia-ish cosplay group, you have chosen Hetalia characters or are at least familiar with the series. Look at the way those uniforms are adapted from the originals - aside from changes in cut and colour, in the Hetalia canon, the uniform insignias often get swapped out, if they exist at all, with plain squares or triangles. These are a bit more neutral, but if in doubt, take them away altogether. I'll also re-iterate the point about swapping out accent colours - you could switch the red to the colour of the canon uniform of whichever character you've chosen. Otherwise, do look at series like Dolls and Trinity Blood, for ideas on how you could adjust the details to be less offensive.
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #108
Scorpion89
The Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjackal777 View Post
I did research the SS and yes they were ordered to do some pretty horific things. But then again the Americans dropped the atom bomb on Japan and I don't see anyone banning American military cosplay on account of that. Also I don't live in America.
I see your from Downunder which has law's on the books about wearing Neo-Nazi clothing IE SS Uniforms. See I know a tad more about this subject then you do, if you had taken the time to do some real research on the different SS units you would never have made the Smiley Comment, I suggest you go read up on some of the SS units that were in Poland maybe then you will get it.

Also there is a big difference between dropping the A-bombs and committing whole scale Genocide. But by your tone you come across as one of those snibbling Left Wing Nibbys.

I suggest you might want to try and go learn about actual WWII History I can point you to quite a few nice museum in Aussi and New Zealand.
Unread 07-20-2011, 04:59 AM   #109
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

I personally would find it more offensive to wear the Japanese WW2 military uniform then a WW2 Nazi uniform. Then again I'm a 'Jap' from Hawaii, while yes the Nazi symbol still has a stigma against it here but the evidence of what the Japanese did in WW2 is just a 30 minute bus ride from me. A lot of people forget that while anime and manga and etc all come from Japan, their cruelty lead to one of the largest attacks on American Soil. At an anime convention, I probably be curious as to why do a historical cosplay? (I'd probably get mad if they just said 'it was because it was Japanese' though)

On that note cosplays from series that include 'Nazi' symbols (more prevalent then Japanese military) is a totally different thing. Kinda like how someone would cosplay someone you hate? The person in the cosplay is just wearing the cosplay of someone you hate. Having an attitude of don't do it breds ignorance and while some may describe it as bliss.... it just makes people stupid.
Suguru from Hiiro no Kakera, Atsuri from Hiiro no Kakera 4, Kaname from Brothers Conflict, fem!Russia from Hetalia, Chrom from Fire Emblem, Lightning from FF13, Hades from Kamigami no Asobi, Klaiver from Ace Attorne

Events: Kawaii Kon 15
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #110
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname9 View Post
At an anime convention, I probably be curious as to why do a historical cosplay?
Plenty of reasons. It's a costume, they like the way it looks, they wanted to wear it and don't like Anime, but enjoy costumes and socializing. Etc.
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #111
Ironhill

The same reason there are Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr. Who or Steampunk costumers at anime conventions. The creators took pride in what they made and want to show it off to people who understand costuming.

I think it would be cool if someone wore a Imperial Japanese Naval uniform to a con. One reason I don't find it as offensive is because it doesn't have the stigma of the SS. Everyone remembers the SS for the concentration camps but forgets the Panzer and Grenadier divisions that fought on the Eastern and Weatern fronts.
Ironhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #112
Spetsnaz
Praying Mantis Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhill View Post
One of the things you have to remember when you wear a uniform is that you are showing support for what the uniform represents.
So does that mean I support the Nazi regime when I reenact?

What you just said is probably one of the most ignorant and moronic things I've seen in regards to reenacting in a long...long time.

You need to get your facts straight, buddy.
Ohayocon 2011
  • Ghost: Modern Warfare 2.
  • Random riot gear crap for the hell of it.
  • Snowtrooper, Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back.
Spetsnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 02:59 AM   #113
Scorpion89
The Master

Quote:

I think it would be cool if someone wore a Imperial Japanese Naval uniform to a con. One reason I don't find it as offensive is because it doesn't have the stigma of the SS. Everyone remembers the SS for the concentration camps but forgets the Panzer and Grenadier divisions that fought on the Eastern and Weatern fronts.
Ah but allot of those SS units were responsible for some of the worst crimes committed by the Germans the SS Panzer Units weren't under the German Army control they report to Himmler.
Unread 07-21-2011, 06:44 AM   #114
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmarus View Post
Plenty of reasons. It's a costume, they like the way it looks, they wanted to wear it and don't like Anime, but enjoy costumes and socializing. Etc.
I didn't mean it like it that lol it's something I think about whenever I see a cosplayer, I phrased it wrong, sorry.

Quote:
I think it would be cool if someone wore a Imperial Japanese Naval uniform to a con. One reason I don't find it as offensive is because it doesn't have the stigma of the SS..
...Are you kidding me? The Imperial Japanese Navel isn't offensive? Did you skip a bunch about WW2? The Japanese were ruthless and they are responsible for the deaths of people. Yes the German's had the Hollocaust but the Japanese had the Rape of Nanjing and the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Yes, the Japanese did suffer one of the most horrific things ever created by man but that doesn't erase what they did.
Suguru from Hiiro no Kakera, Atsuri from Hiiro no Kakera 4, Kaname from Brothers Conflict, fem!Russia from Hetalia, Chrom from Fire Emblem, Lightning from FF13, Hades from Kamigami no Asobi, Klaiver from Ace Attorne

Events: Kawaii Kon 15
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #115
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

This thread is starting to sound like it used to. This same argument has been hashed out at least twice on here, and no one is adding anything new. Pretty soon, we'll get the "Americans did bad stuff too!" person in, which will lead to "WW2 is too soon for cosplay!" We're already at the comparing-how-much-we-know-about-WW2 stage.

So since this argument is old and entirely subjective, why don't people who want to argue over whether we're ALLOWED to wear WW2 uniforms as costumes read over what's been said before in this thread and then move it over to LJ or something?

The facts are thus:

1. Some outfits are illegal or against the rules of a convention. Find that out before you go. Nazi insignia in some places is considered neo-Nazi support and is banned. Other places, no one bats an eyelash. Some cons even have rules on ALL military uniforms. Just play it cool, and read the rules.

2. Despite what the rules of a convention are, some uniforms are offensive to large numbers of people. This varies by the place (Japanese Imperial in Hawaii = much more offensive than in, say, Ohio) and population, and, because being offended is such a subjective thing, person to person. You either ignore it and go on or not wear the costume at all. If it's not against the rules, it's up to you. Expect to offend most people with Nazi uniforms, many people with Soviet uniforms (especially NKVD if people recognize it) a few people with German army or Japanese Imperial uniforms, and maybe a very small group of people with any uniform at all. It's a popular past-time nowadays to look back in your family history and find some reason to be offended. Pretty much all of us have done it without even thinking sometimes.

3. You should always, ALWAYS be respectful and DO YOUR RESEARCH. Know what your unit or branch did during the war. Learn what your insignia means. Be careful when wearing medals because that can offend a lot of people as well, especially American medals.

4. This is a costuming thread, so it should be about costuming. A little debate every now and then is cherished by the wisest men, but it generally dissolves quickly into name-calling and intelligence-questioning.

Thank you for your time, and carry on with the thread.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 01:02 AM   #116
Ironhill

[quote=Spetsnaz;4057544]So does that mean I support the Nazi regime when I reenact?

What you just said is probably one of the most ignorant and moronic things I've seen in regards to reenacting in a long...long time.

You need to get your facts straight, buddy.[/

I'm not talking about idealogy. Most reenactors I spoke with have a indepth knowledge of where the unit they are portraying served, what equipment they used, and what hardships they experienced. They honor the veterians that served in the unit they represent.
Unread 07-22-2011, 01:21 AM   #117
Ironhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname9 View Post

...Are you kidding me? The Imperial Japanese Navel isn't offensive? Did you skip a bunch about WW2? The Japanese were ruthless and they are responsible for the deaths of people. Yes the German's had the Hollocaust but the Japanese had the Rape of Nanjing and the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Yes, the Japanese did suffer one of the most horrific things ever created by man but that doesn't erase what they did.
"Isn't as offensive." Yes, the Japanese ARMY did the Rape of Nanjing, and the Bataan Death March, and other acts of cruelty in the Phiilipines and Singapore. The NAVY attacked Pearl Harbor and the near by airfields and the had a successful 6 months of operations until they were stopped at Midway.
Unread 09-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #118
Pvt sleepy

Can anyone tell me what nationality and time period this uniform is? There is a really good sale on it, and I was wondering if it was WWII era. I'm embarrassed to admit I know almost nothing about WWII uniforms.
Pvt sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 03:19 AM   #119
ten_again
ten

Couldn't tell you which nationality exactly, but most likely a Nato country. The ringlets in the belt identify it as certainly post WW2, and beware that on his head is not a helmet but a standard Nato helmet liner.
ten_again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #120
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Specifically, I can see that the gear is not WWII accurate. If that doesn't matter, carry on. If it does, yes, the canteen is much later and in the wrong cover. The pouch on the side looks to be a U.S. pouch, but I don't think that's a U.S. uniform of any era. Anyone know more about it?

*tries to help this person out by getting others interested in this thread*
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote