Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:00 AM   #61
Harvestbuddy

I can't really cosplay my own character since I play as a Lalafell :P if you guys are ever at Balmung! My lalafell is Okki Lokki
Harvestbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #62
Evil-Siren

lol that's a funny and cute name for a lala xD
aww nothing is impossible! The japanese people could cosplay lalafells too when they promoted ffxiv arr D
Evil-Siren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:59 AM   #63
t00tsypop

oh my gawsh!!! im on balmung aswell. char name is yukoto yume.. but i dont plan on playing till phase 4 cause im not going to do those missions and have to redo them again. lol
- friday; archer from Dragons crown
- saturday; escha from atelier escha and logy

facebook
t00tsypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:50 AM   #64
Harvestbuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by t00tsypop View Post
oh my gawsh!!! im on balmung aswell. char name is yukoto yume.. but i dont plan on playing till phase 4 cause im not going to do those missions and have to redo them again. lol
Same! For Phase 3 I just logged in once to check it out. I'm a bit bummed because the first person view angle is above my head @.@

I'm excited for phase 4 since we get to keep character data and progress!

@Evil-Siren I wish I could join the Cosplay Contest!!! Too bad North America is excluded
Harvestbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #65
Evil-Siren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvestbuddy View Post
Same! For Phase 3 I just logged in once to check it out. I'm a bit bummed because the first person view angle is above my head @.@

I'm excited for phase 4 since we get to keep character data and progress!

@Evil-Siren I wish I could join the Cosplay Contest!!! Too bad North America is excluded
I can't join too, I'm from Austria and there are only 4 Countries from Europe who can participate D:
Evil-Siren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #66
t00tsypop

kinda unfair that they wouldnt count the other countrys.
- friday; archer from Dragons crown
- saturday; escha from atelier escha and logy

facebook
t00tsypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #67
ViaSapientis

I finally finished my FFXIV WHM cosplay... you can find more pictures of it in the costume's gallery. I debuted it at Otakon this weekend and not many people recognized who I was. I was the only person from FFXIV at the FF photoshoot on Saturday... o.o;;. Hopefully people in this thread will be more likely to recognize it for what it is. At future cons, I'll have the relic staff (I couldn't finish it in time for this con).
ViaSapientis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #68
Giyari
A gentleman and a scholar

@ViaSapientis

You did an awesome job on your White Mage cosplay. It would have been awesome if you were at AX, Harvestbuddy and his gf went as Warrior and Bard. In my head i was thinking, where's the WHM?

Seems to me being recognized in a FFXI/ FFXIV cosplay varies with region. At AX I was lucky, alot of people appreciate cosplayers representing FFXIV. I actually ran into a group of people who were in the same linkshell in the vendor room.

Don't feel bad about being the only person from FFXIV at the gathering, at our gathering, FFXIV wasn't even called, they went from FFXIII to FF Monsters. I don't know Harvestbuddy felt about it, but none of us even bothered to be in the group shot. Personally, i didn't like it, he worked hard for months on WAR AF, BRD AF, and the relic weapon for Bard.

Luckily, after the gathering a bunch of people took our picture. Some were even worried they missed the FFXIV cosplayers.

I really wished I got to hang out with Harvestbuddy, I rarely get to talk about FFXIV much with people, but I was at AX with my girlfriend, and i usually let her choose what we do there.

Currently I'm giving my Black Mage cosplay a major overhaul, It will definitely look a lot better next year. Only complaint I got was the shoes, but now I have them and they are rdy to go whenever I cosplay BLM again. Most of the fixes are minor, and within my skill level. The coat however is gonna take a lot of hard work to figure out.

It's a shame I chose Lalafell in FFXIV, other wise I could cosplay as my character.

Final Fantasy XI, Scholar Artifact Armor: 100% (retired)
Final Fantasy XI, Scholar Savant's Attire: 100%
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Black Mage Artifact Armor: 100%

Future conventions:

Anime Expo 2013
Giyari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #69
ViaSapientis

Edited to remove double post. I didn't realize a mod had to specifically approve my post before it showed up.

Last edited by ViaSapientis : 08-31-2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Double Post
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:50 AM   #70
ViaSapientis

My first response to you didn't get posted. Silly filters. So here I am trying again. Thanks for your compliments. It means a lot as I certainly respect your costume a lot! It looks great too.

Anyway, I was very surprised that there weren't move XIV cosplayers since the game is being relaunched so soon! Apparently, there was another WHM as well as a BLM and MNK. I never saw them, but I did hear about them. The other WHM stumbled upon my costume in a gallery here and said hello. It's a shame we never got to meet face to face.

When I first started cosplaying from XI (back in 03 or 04), I was one of the only ones, too... and almost no one recognized me. Over the years, I watched FFXI get big enough to the point where it had its own photoshoot with dozens of people (including one fun picture at Otakon where we all fell on the ground dead like in Dynamis). Then I watched it slowly get smaller to the point where barely anyone showed up. This year, there was only one XI cosplayer at the FF photoshoot (a WHM in AFv2), although I did see a THF in AFv1, a BLM in AFv2, and a SMN in AFv2 (without the horn). Perhaps over time, XIV cosplay will follow the same pattern... waxing and waning with the years.

As for conventions... I live on the Northeast coast and will probably restrict my conventions to that for the time being. I notice you are in Miami (or at least your profile says you are), so going to a con around there would be realistic because I visit there from time to time anyway (my boyfriend's family lives in Miami). A trip out of California would be pretty hard right now, but circumstances change. I wish I knew more XIV cosplayers on the East coast as I'd love to do a XIV cosplay group or even a skit together. Cosplaying is also so much more fun in my opinion when you have friends to do it with. After perfecting my WHM cosplay (plus the staff), I'll probably move on to SMN now that there are a lot of reference photos from ARR. My boyfriend already agreed to be an egi, although we have to figure out how that will be realistically possible...

I know what you mean about wanting to be 'your character'. I lucked out that I chose mithra and actually have the perfect mithra physique (I'm 5 feet tall and 100 pounds.. very petite). If we can get an average-sized person and a really tall person, we can have a party with a miqo'te, elezen, and hyur. If we find someone who has a wide build, we can have a galka too.

Last edited by ViaSapientis : 08-13-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #71
KOTSProps
Kin of the Stars

FFXI: Crayne - Lakshmi
FFXIV: Shino Asada - Sargatanas, Crayne Windrunner - Excalibur

I didn't get to finish my FFXI WHM relic armor for Otakon this year, but I'll make a showing with it either at a spring con, or Otakon 2014. The XIV Bard too.

I DID have these two...three...things done though, shame I didn't get to use them properly, though someone DID recognize the KClub on Saturday night. I chipped the hammer head on Sunday morning and it will need a repair & repaint >_<;

Now I just have to actually make the costumes...

By the way, since I have melee weapons for a White Mage, I've been debating on making the Whinja its own separate cosplay, but not sure what it should be if I do it:

Rev. Mail (Hauby), Goliard Saio, or AF?

AF would obviously be the most recognizable to anyone who didn't play FFXI, but Goliard (with Blessed pants, boots, gloves, and turban) would be the most gameplay correct...

2014 Events
KATSUCON 20
ZENKAIKON 2014
OTAKON 2014

Projects:
FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, Bard and Dragoon
KOTSProps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #72
Giyari
A gentleman and a scholar

@ViaSapientis

Thank you for the compliments

I'm still working on my cosplay, FFXIV Early Access didn't help lol. I have lots of painting to do still. I'll do it after work and definitely before I start playing.

I do live in Miami, but the only con I go to is AX because, I usually work weekends so I just choose one con, that and my gf really lives AX.

I firmly believe, despite release issues, will be popular, people online simply love the game, other people who couldn't play absolutely hate it. ><. I do have my concerns cosplaying it, but then again, like any fandom, people either love it or hate it.

Getting my gf to cosplay something FFXIV related was tough. She said if I cosplayers Scholar, she would go as a Fairy, though to be honest I'm not feeling the male SCH AF.

I hope more people cosplay FFXIV, would be awesome to get a "Full Party" together.

@KOTSProps

Nice work on the weapons!

I'm thinking of making a scepter for my BLM, a staff is a bit annoying at a crowded convention.

I recall seeing this awesome drawing of a meele WHM with O-hat, Reverend Mail, and blessed set for the rest, looked awesome. Of course this was back in my day and is probably obsolete now.

Good times, no one expected a WHM to sneak up on someone with invisible and Hexa Strike them from behind.

And since people are posting who they are in game.

Excalibur server: Giyari Ehtyarion

Final Fantasy XI, Scholar Artifact Armor: 100% (retired)
Final Fantasy XI, Scholar Savant's Attire: 100%
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Black Mage Artifact Armor: 100%

Future conventions:

Anime Expo 2013
Giyari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #73
ViaSapientis

Oooh, I love the weaponry! The detail on the light staff (or Apollo's staff, if I dare say that is HQ!) is amazing. I once made an Apollo's staff, attached it to my back, and wore it around when I cosplayed SMN. I carried a plush Carbuncle around with me, which people got a kick out of. I also like the club and the hammer -- very accurate. I feel like long-time FFXI players would recognize a lot of different outfits, but yeah... the AF is most recognizable to anyone who is just familiar with the Final Fantasy series.

By the way, I was "Ryuko" in FFXI. I was in Ilterendi on the Diabolos server. I became 'infamous' on ffxiplayers (when it existed) for my hideous picture of WHM cosplay. I wasn't very good at face paint at the time (in addition to the fact that I was wearing loose clothing), so people thought I was a man. Very awkward. My name in FFXIV is Ryuko Kanzeon. I was on Melmond, which became Aegis... and then I transferred to Hyperion, which is where I'm at now. I'll be starting work on my SMN AF once I get it ingame, which should be soon (I am not ashamed of how much I've been playing since early release, haha).

Giyari: I also agree that I'm not really digging how the Scholar AF looks in XIV. It doesn't look nearly as intricate as the other classes, but I guess that says a lot about how scholars are. They don't care much for extravagance. :P It would be super cute if your girlfriend agreed to be a fairy, though. People would get a real kick out of that.
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #74
KOTSProps
Kin of the Stars

I appreciate the compliments! I certainly spent a lot of time gluing my fingers together getting those details down on the master sculpt. It's arguably imperfect in my mind--the curvatures don't quite line up (I made it as one half of the head, molded it, and cast two copies to glue together)--but I hardly see anyone make these for themselves. I might revisit this one later. The Mjollnir too, since the faces of the head aren't straight or the same (approximate) size. I have a mold for it, but I'm out of resin. >_<;

@Giyari: The staff was actually inspired by the one you own(ed) for SCH...if I recall Joy Sutton's work (which is in turn inspired partly by Volpin's take). I ended up blending the two somewhat and it does break down for storage in the same manner. I'm debating on re-painting the head's raised details in a brighter gold, actually, because even with the weathering pass they're a bit dull. Might just leave that for a re-work though...

Think I'll stick to the Cleric's Attire for XI, even with the clubs. Mostly so people would recognize it without having played XI. I might as well ask: Any hints on a commercial pattern I could use as I base? I started toying with a McCall's pattern but didn't get too far into it. I'm mainly worried about the chest piece (the legs aren't that hard, and I hate the hat to begin with so I might leave it out). I'm not sure if it's a doublet pattern, a tunic, a tabard, or a mix of the three o.O

For Bard, I'm less worried about patterns and more worried about finding matching fabric. Those pants @_@...oh screw it, applique all the things!

And Ryuko? Don't be ashamed. Seriously. I should be for being one of the jerks who won't log out (mostly because I know I won't get back in...). Damn this game is addicting...

2014 Events
KATSUCON 20
ZENKAIKON 2014
OTAKON 2014

Projects:
FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, Bard and Dragoon

Last edited by KOTSProps : 09-01-2013 at 10:55 PM.
KOTSProps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #75
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Glad to see this thread is still kicking! ^^ FF11/14 need more love in the states.

I've been listening to the 11 soundtrack all morning and for some reason, I want to make Naja now. I don't know why or what possessed me, but that sounds like a fun idea. >.>
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote