Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Unread 06-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

American Girl cosplay?

Anyone ever done an American Girl costume? Recently, I've been considering making Felicity's green riding suit to wear to Costume-Con. When I was a kid, my stepmom and I did Kirsten's blue dress.

I haven't had any luck on this site finding American Girl cosplays. Anyone have one to show or working on one?
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

When I was a little kid I did Felicity's blue dress for Halloween. Unfortunately I don't have any pics. We used a sewing pattern for a similar colonial dress and made some alterations. The hat actually came from Williamsburg, when we were there on vacation. My mom did pretty much the whole thing but was pretty happy with the end result.
Unread 06-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
dismaldreary
The Tragic Heroine

Talking

Omg American Girl!
Growing up I had a Samantha doll, so one year for my Birthday I had an American Girl themed party. (This was AGES ago!) My Aunt made me a Samantha costume, and most of my friends dressed up as well!

These are so embarrassing but I'll share them:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...anthagroup.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e/samantha.png

This is so weird because the other day I was thinking how it'd be cool to make Samantha's gray school uniform. haha!

DeviantART
facebook

"And envy and pride like ill weeds grew in her heart higher every day, until she had no peace day or night."
dismaldreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #4
JJ9437
Faith, trust & Pixie dust

Just a few days ago I was thinking about doing American Girl cosplay! I always leaned towards Samantha but I now love Felicity or Kit.

Dragon*Con 2010 Costumes
WIP:

Hermione's Red Dress- 40%
Ginny Weasley Quidditch Player- 10%
Glinda's Bubble Dress from Wicked- 10%

Completed: Hermione Yule Ball Gown, Belle's Ballgown, Rose Tyler, Tinkerbell, Hermione Granger, River Tam, Wendy Darling.
JJ9437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

I was so into American Girls as a kid! Felicity and Samantha were definitely my favorite. I really loooove Felcity's school dress, with the caraco and the red peticoat--I had that dress when i was 6. I also love Samantha's Christmas dress--I think it might be fun to make an adult version of it.
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
Emrys

Wah~ I loved Samantha's outfits as a kid - except at the time I hated wearing skirts/dresses myself, lol.

Felicity's riding suit would be super cute!
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismaldreary View Post
Omg American Girl!
Growing up I had a Samantha doll, so one year for my Birthday I had an American Girl themed party.
So cute! I had a Samantha party for my 11th birthday... and a Kirsten party for my 12th. It was when I was working on that heritage project to get the charms of each girl (I think they discontinued that around 1998 or so). <3
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #8
alterationsbyem

So I went online to American Girl.com to see what to see these days and Samantha is discontinued! I am so getting all of her clothes out of my daughter's doll clothes chest and getting them together with the original doll!

BTW side note on American Girl dolls... My grandma went to high school with the lady that started the company... when your 8 and you hear this information it's earth shattering.
Unread 06-17-2010, 01:26 AM   #9
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

Noooo! They can't discontinue Samantha, she was the snazzy one!

*grumble*
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 01:44 AM   #10
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Scratch that- they can't discontinue the classics!

Samantha was my favorite, along with Molly... I always wanted to do the 'dress like your doll' costumes, but I had grown up and out of their sizing range by the time I could ever convince my dad to get me American Girl stuff... (Well, after I totaled my first doll when I was super little by bringing her into the bathtub ^^; Cloth bodied dolls do not like that. And that was BEFORE my dad threw her into the dryer and melted her hair ><)
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 03:59 AM   #11
SirenaBlack
They're eating my people!

WHAT! I love Samantha! The American Girl books are what first got me interested in history and historical fiction, and the Victorian period is my favorite! Waaaah!!! I wasn't planning on cosplaying as Sam, but now I want to XD

Man, I saved my allowance and birthday and christmas money for three years to buy an American Girl doll...Then a few weeks after I got her my little sister cried cause she wanted one...And my parents bought her one -_-

I attended an American Girl party as Josefina once. Good times...And my friends and I put on two of the plays. I've been Josefina's aunt (I can't remember her name) and one of Kirsten's cousins, haha. I haven't read any of the books since Josefina's, though. Around the time Mattel took over I lost interest.
Going to ALA, Gallifrey One, and SPN Vegas Con
SirenaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #12
JJ9437
Faith, trust &amp;amp;amp; Pixie dust

That makes me so sad they are discontinuing Samantha! Wasn't she the first American Girl doll?

Dragon*Con 2010 Costumes
WIP:

Hermione's Red Dress- 40%
Ginny Weasley Quidditch Player- 10%
Glinda's Bubble Dress from Wicked- 10%

Completed: Hermione Yule Ball Gown, Belle's Ballgown, Rose Tyler, Tinkerbell, Hermione Granger, River Tam, Wendy Darling.
JJ9437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #13
moonflower.

omg. i had the official outfits for Josefina and Molly (her birthday outfit)... They don't fit anymore, but I still have them! JJ9437 watched and laughed at me as I tried to fit into one of them a few months back (i got them when i was 10-ish). Wooow childhood cosplay i didn't even realize i had done.
moonflower. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #14
Can not sew
Is so very sleepy...

In Canada we had Mapelia Girls, which only had 4 dolls and were considerably more modern and less cool.
But my friend always brought me the magazines when she came up from Florida, so I do have a sense of what you're talking about. And it sounds like a cool idea!

If any of you do get around to it, I'd love to see photos!

Costume list:
Femme!Fourth Doctor (Doctor Who) - 85%
Monkey D. Luffy (for Kai) - 0%
Cubone (Pokemon) - 20%
Blackadder Group (Blackadder, Baldrick, George, Melchet, Darling, 'Bob') - 0%
Can not sew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
dismaldreary
The Tragic Heroine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterationsbyem View Post
So I went online to American Girl.com to see what to see these days and Samantha is discontinued! I am so getting all of her clothes out of my daughter's doll clothes chest and getting them together with the original doll!

BTW side note on American Girl dolls... My grandma went to high school with the lady that started the company... when your 8 and you hear this information it's earth shattering.
I totally feel the need to dig my Sam doll out from my closet now!

That is kind of awesome about your Grandmother. That lady must be super rich now... haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenaBlack View Post
I attended an American Girl party as Josefina once. Good times...And my friends and I put on two of the plays. I've been Josefina's aunt (I can't remember her name) and one of Kirsten's cousins, haha. I haven't read any of the books since Josefina's, though. Around the time Mattel took over I lost interest.
OMG In third grade we had to write a play based on a book and half of our class (pretty much all of the girls) choose American Girl books. I still remember some of them... they were hilarious. (and not on purpose) I'm so glad no one video taped those. haha!

DeviantART
facebook

"And envy and pride like ill weeds grew in her heart higher every day, until she had no peace day or night."
dismaldreary is offline   Reply With Quote