Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Other Fashion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-17-2010, 03:50 AM   #1
milk&honey
cooler than me

Gyaru Lifestyle

I know this doesn't necessarily belong here, but it's the closest place I could think of as to where I could make a thread like this. Here's the thing: Lately I've been wanting more and more to transform my daily wardrobe & overall style to a Gyaru look, more specifically, Ganguro. I'm currently a 19 year old male in a state where there isn't much discrimination, almost everyone I know is very open minded and enjoys odd things.

Have any of you Lolita/J-Fashion folks had experience in reactions you typically get to wearing such crazy things outside a con/your home? I really enjoy Ganguro and the overall look of it, it reminds me of summer and vibrant colors, which I absolutely adore. The makeup will be a bit more subtle, though I'll still be super tan with the white eyes, though a bit more controlled.

So my question to all of you is: How many of you live a Gyaru lifestyle, if so, which, how long have you been dressing this way, & what should I expect when I walk out the door?

Thanks guys!

C O S P L A Y
  • dietrich, trinity blood 25%
  • seek, with pv 50%
  • screaming mantis, metal gear solid 4 40%
milk&honey is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
HimeNoKokoro
Rabid Touhou Fan

I'm only a beginner gyaru myself, I started dressing in the style around 6 months ago after discovering Universal-Doll's Gyaru Blog, but I say go for it! I too am living in a place where discrimination isn't much of a problem. Occasionally old ladies will give me a strange look but for the most part, people love the way I dress because it's so original! Not to mention, the amount of comments I get on my nails.
I'd say, expect some strange looks and maybe a rude comment at first, but after a while people will accept you and your style.
Good luck to you. I think Ganguro Gyaru is so fantastic! I hope I helped somehow~
Mikan - Wanko to Kurasou
Mari - Grand Chase
Chell - Portal 2

Completed:
Remilia Scarlet - Touhou Project
Satori Komeiji - Touhou Project
Luka Megurine (Magnet ver) - Vocaloid
Len Kagamine (Love is War ver) - Vocaloid
HimeNoKokoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

My friend always dresses in raver gear. To a Catholic school. It's all good. We love her for it! Not exactly the same thing, but it's pretty darn crazy.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

I'm confused... I googled gyaru and everything that came up for pictures either looked like a buch of Japanese women dressing like a fashion magazine, or in frilly dresses (not Lolita) or people who looked orange... So, um, what exactly is gyaru?
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Well ganguro is this. At least to my understanding.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
infinitydragon
high caffeene content

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
I'm confused... I googled gyaru and everything that came up for pictures either looked like a buch of Japanese women dressing like a fashion magazine, or in frilly dresses (not Lolita) or people who looked orange... So, um, what exactly is gyaru?
Gyaru has a massive amout of variaties, alot of it is basicly a japanese interpritation of western fashion.
the frilly dresses that aren't lolita is most probably himegyaru and there is a few gyaru subsets that have various subsets that are a varity of shades of orange.

-----------------------
A lolita forum is probably the worst place to ask about gyaru lifestyle and reactions to gyaru around.
We have loads of stories of reactions to lolita, there's probably a few lifestyle lolis to varing degrees, a few other fashion styles too, but gyaru specificaly, you would have better luck elsewhere.
Utsuho Reiuzi (Touhou Project)

Cons:
London Expo May 2010
J-Culture Con 2010

Last edited by infinitydragon : 06-17-2010 at 01:41 PM.
infinitydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #7
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
Sort of how Westerners want to emulate Japanese fashion, the Japanese emulate America's 'Cali girl' fashion. There's different extremes of it as with everything, some people go very heavy on with extreme make up and obsessive tanning which is what your more likely to find in a google search. I personally don't care much for it so I am not that familiar with it's details.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #8
Eleksin
Eleksin

I don't like ganguro because, to be honest, it does not look the least bit pretty to me. Fake orange tans are not appealing. D:

However if it is really something you want to pursue then go for it. You might be able to change my mind.
Eleksin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 01:46 AM   #9
aSigh
DOLL

i used to dress as the gyaru style. now im more likely to dress gyaruo.
but, i found personally my reactions received were to be hit on a lot and sometime in scary ways. gyaru r attractive and stereotyped as very sexual, so some ppl like this idea..
i was never ganguro, manba, hime, i was gyaru like ::

so i guess depending on the style u wish for u will look different.
Unread 06-21-2010, 02:14 AM   #10
fabrickind

Isn't ganguro horribly outdated? I mean, it's cool to wear what you want, but gyaru is a fashion all about being as fashionable and up-to-the-minute as possible, so it seems odd to want to wear an older style of it.

I personally really like some aspects of gyaru... himegyaru is my favourite, but I also really like some of the Popteen-style stuff just for everyday, casual wear. I'm a huge fan of miniskirts and heels, so it seems like the perfect fashion for me.

One of the main problems with gal is that because it is broad and ill-defined, with vastly different styles within it (and you are basically gal if you follow the gal trends and styles, so it's not something like lolita where there is a definite look to it where you can take something out of any lolita magazine from almost any time and say for sure that it is or isn't lolita), it's really hard to get into. Universal Doll (the link was already provided) is a great resource, though, since it breaks down all the latest trends, gives tips, has Q&A segments, etc., and really discusses what makes a gal a gal. It's something where you need to work at it and really keep up the maintience of it so that you don't fall out of fashion and so that you can truely be gal (and not just someone in a miniskirt).

Really, about the only reactions I've gotten in semi-gal outfits are positive ones, since girls think I'm cute and guys think I'm sexy. It's a pretty normal-looking fashion compared to something like lolita. As a male, you'd get some different reactions, but you said that you live in an open-minded area, so that's great.
fabrickind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 02:30 AM   #11
ImASleazoid

I love Gyaru, I have friends who are Gyaru and Gyaru-o.
Even being a girl, I love dressing as close as i can to Gyaru-o style. Even Host styles.
ImASleazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
harleyquinn01

I don't do gyaru but I have been wearing lolita clothes to school on an everyday basis and yeah my school mates giggled behind my back after giving me fake compliments but that's what you get in modern day society were booty shorts are more acceptable then frilly dresses. meh go for it it will get better as time passes. Who knows maybe you'll start a trend wherever you are

Last edited by harleyquinn01 : 06-25-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: spelling error
harleyquinn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 09:01 AM   #13
Siffel
Sleep deprived since '05

I thought I saw something like this called "Kogal." I remember it being associated with tans and floppy school girl socks. Is it similar?
Siffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 02:09 AM   #14
fabrickind

The term kogal is still used to refer to a young gal, but the style you are referring to is very outdated (super bleached hair, dark tans, white makeup, loose socks, etc., right?). The style has (thankfully!) evolved quite a bit since then.

http://universal-doll.com/
That blog has a ton of good info on gal fashion, what is currently on trend for the various substyles, etc.
fabrickind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #15
celticfreefall

I'm not trying to knock gals or anything, but in a western environment ganguro looks like black face. If you don't know what black face is, you might want to google it. It's not something you'd probably want to wear. Though, like the others have said, I'm not sure why you picked ganguro since it's really outdated (according to a gal friend).
celticfreefall is offline   Reply With Quote