Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
Saerrix
Wannabe Bad Wolf

Madame Red

So, I'm beyond determined to cosplay Madame Red form Kuroshitsuji, but I really just fail miserably at sewing. I've made cosplay's before, but they were usually just buying something that I could start with, and adding to it. I don't see how I can pull it off with this, especially with the jacket. Any suggestions on how I could make this with minimum sewing?
Saerrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
Lycorisa

Can you read patterns? Then you can buy a pattern and use that. You can go to thrift store or any store and find a jacket like hers and if it's not the right color you can dye it ^^
Lycorisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Saerrix
Wannabe Bad Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycorisa View Post
Can you read patterns? Then you can buy a pattern and use that. You can go to thrift store or any store and find a jacket like hers and if it's not the right color you can dye it ^^
I have absolutely no idea how to do anything sewing related. I've just guessed, and hand sewn a lot of things.
Unread 06-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I just finished my Madam Red costume for A-kon that was two weeks ago. I would say that you might want to start working on something else that won't require a lot of sewing knowledge and build up to this because you will need to know how to do a lot of tailoring and all. My costume alone took me nearly 70 hours to create from start to finish. But I made everything. That included: fully lined jacket, shirt, cravat, overskirt with tons of pleats, underskirt with tons of pleats, steel boned Victorian corset, petticoat, bustle pillow, and covered hat.

I used patterns from Truly Victorian for my costume, but still had to do modifications of my own. I can always PM you with what I used if you would like some pointers for starting this. The main thing would be this: take your time and do it right. It's a very detail oriented costume and you will need to move slowly to make sure everything is done right the first time.

Here's my costume completed with my Kuroshitsuji group: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/184306/

And here's the gallery I had of the progress on the costume: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/174441/

And even a quick, sorta half-assed pleats tutorial I did to help someone out: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/181342/
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
Saerrix
Wannabe Bad Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
I just finished my Madam Red costume for A-kon that was two weeks ago. I would say that you might want to start working on something else that won't require a lot of sewing knowledge and build up to this because you will need to know how to do a lot of tailoring and all. My costume alone took me nearly 70 hours to create from start to finish. But I made everything. That included: fully lined jacket, shirt, cravat, overskirt with tons of pleats, underskirt with tons of pleats, steel boned Victorian corset, petticoat, bustle pillow, and covered hat.

I used patterns from Truly Victorian for my costume, but still had to do modifications of my own. I can always PM you with what I used if you would like some pointers for starting this. The main thing would be this: take your time and do it right. It's a very detail oriented costume and you will need to move slowly to make sure everything is done right the first time.

Here's my costume completed with my Kuroshitsuji group: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/184306/

And here's the gallery I had of the progress on the costume: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/174441/

And even a quick, sorta half-assed pleats tutorial I did to help someone out: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/181342/
Thanks! I really am wanting to try this, but maybe, it needs to wait a bit. I was going to only try make the skirt, hat, shirt, and jacket, because I could easily find everything else, with my scavenging skills. I was thinking of making the shirt and skirt kind of in to one dress-like part. I don't really know how to explain, but it works in my mind. And I would infinitely appreciate it if you PMed me to help a bit.
Unread 06-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

I think you can handle as a beginner if you work slowly and carefully. I learned how to sew using Truly Victorian patterns, they're very user friendly. My advice to you is to start with a chemise and drawers--very easy, and can be made from cheap-o muslin or an old bedsheet. Truly Victorian has a pattern for these garments, but I personally prefer the free ones on elizabethstewartclark.com. Take your time, make multiples if you need to get the hang of it some more, and then move on to the rest of the costume.

I'm one of the oddballs who reccomends to noobs that they don't stay inside their comfort zone. You don't learn nearly as much unless you challenge yourself.
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
moogles1989
rxsias

im sure you can do it! ive only been sewing for 2 years and i made my madam red.....

just be very patient the base skirt is pretty simple to do, teh overskirt i struggled with and i plan to completely redo it when i can find velveteen that matches since the store no longer carries that one.....

now the jacket was easy for me to do but ive been workign with and altering the same patter for a good year.....you can basically use any pattern that has princess seams (vertical straight up and down seams) and then cut teh front panels into the points you want them to make, do the same for interfaceing and youll be okay! im sure you can do just fine!
Unread 06-19-2010, 01:25 AM   #8
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I totally agree that it's doable if you take your time. I would just suggest acquainting oneself with sewing before just diving in. With patience, anyone can get a decent product no matter the level they are at. I just advise against starting this costume a week or so before a convention.

But Saerrix, I will PM you the pattern numbers I used, what I did to change them, and what types of fabrics I used to make my costume.
Unread 06-19-2010, 01:54 AM   #9
moogles1989
rxsias

i found velveteen very easy to work with and teh end result was perfect for my vision....it was stiff but soft looking and and comfortable....and over all made the whole thing just look a lot more expensive then what it really was and for a woman of her status in victorian time her dress would have been velvet or silk so yeah....oh and velveteen doesnt fray at all! you dont neccesarrily have to serge it
Unread 06-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

moogles1989: You are brave for making it out of velvet. I chose cotton sateen for mine since I was wearing it it Dallas in June. I was already sweating bad enough in the layers upon layers, and that was indoors, so I can't even imagine what it would have been like in velvet! But fabric choice is key to Madam Red since you need it to drape nicely and look like something a Victorian lady would have worn.
Unread 06-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
moogles1989
rxsias

@mehdia lucky for me i live in central coast california.....salinas valley to be exact.....fo us 65 degrees is hot.....hahahaha where im from it doens get very hot, but then again i didnt actually wear it at fanime....i was going to only wear it in the evenigns when the temperature drops but my friend ended up wearing it while i wore ciel
Unread 06-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #12
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

I don't wanna hear any complaints.

Mine was a curtain, and I wore it at Dragon*Con :P
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2010, 11:37 PM   #13
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I loved mine, even while sweating away. The corset was actually the least uncomfortable part, where I thought it would be the worst. I planned wearing it one day, but ended up wearing it two because I changed back into it on Saturday at A-kon to go up to accept our Craftsmanship award for the Hall Cosplay Contest during the Cosplay Contest half-time. It was awesome to get some recognition for the 200 hours of work I put into the three costumes I made for myself and two friends. I lived through the heat for it. I knew what I was getting into, so I actually was like "Well, I did it to myself, so all I can do is take out my fan and fan myself and suck it up!"