Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.92 average.
Unread 06-14-2005, 02:52 PM   #1
zephyrTR

Eureka Seven Cosplay

It's VERY new, and only 6 episodes have been fansubbed yet, but I can tell it's going to be an amazing series. It is afterall made by FMA's finest. Anyway, I'm trying to go to Otakon as Holland, and I need some pointers because I only have one other cosplay under my belt which isn't offering any insight for this one. I'm really not much of a seamster, so at least for now I can't be making everything from scratch. As long as i have something to start with though, I'll be fine fixing it up. I've boiled the costume down to just a few parts:

The Ascot: pale yellow, very snazzy. This is easy. I just need some fabric and some snappy knot prowess.

The Jacket: Seems to be some kinda black sports jacket with a high collar. There's thick white stripes under the sleeves, and the zipper is red. That's really it. What do i get to start this?

The Pants: Green khaki or nylon pants? Where can i get these cheap? I'll doctor them up afterwards but I can't start with fabric and thread.

The Belt: loose, thick brownbelt with a chrome double box buckle with a littl design on the left side. Maybe i can fit something over a belt i already have? Cardboard and tinfoil perhaps... There's also a weird beltpouch. I wonder if I can make that at home too.

The Boots: Essentially they look like a cross between Converse shoes and boots and are white and blue. These look like they're going to be the biggest hassle, and I really dont know how to approach this at all.

The Refboard: Cardboard & Newspaper frame, buy lots of plaster, then paint it. I'll only make the board if I can finish my costume cheaply though. This part of the project, I know perfectly well what I'm doing, but I also know perfectly well that buying so much plaster and paint will be expensive...

Anyway, can anyone who's got more experience than me (which isnt hard to have) offer some advice? Plus i'd love to hear if other people have started on Eureka Seven costumes already!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ho01.jpg (91.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg e7_ref.jpg (23.9 KB, 0 views)
zephyrTR is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2005, 05:56 PM   #2
Gii

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrTR
It's VERY new, and only 6 episodes have been fansubbed yet, but I can tell it's going to be an amazing series. It is afterall made by FMA's finest. Anyway, I'm trying to go to Otakon as Holland, and I need some pointers because I only have one other cosplay under my belt which isn't offering any insight for this one. I'm really not much of a seamster, so at least for now I can't be making everything from scratch. As long as i have something to start with though, I'll be fine fixing it up. I've boiled the costume down to just a few parts:

The Ascot: pale yellow, very snazzy. This is easy. I just need some fabric and some snappy knot prowess.

The Jacket: Seems to be some kinda black sports jacket with a high collar. There's thick white stripes under the sleeves, and the zipper is red. That's really it. What do i get to start this?

The Pants: Green khaki or nylon pants? Where can i get these cheap? I'll doctor them up afterwards but I can't start with fabric and thread.

The Belt: loose, thick brownbelt with a chrome double box buckle with a littl design on the left side. Maybe i can fit something over a belt i already have? Cardboard and tinfoil perhaps... There's also a weird beltpouch. I wonder if I can make that at home too.

The Boots: Essentially they look like a cross between Converse shoes and boots and are white and blue. These look like they're going to be the biggest hassle, and I really dont know how to approach this at all.

The Refboard: Cardboard & Newspaper frame, buy lots of plaster, then paint it. I'll only make the board if I can finish my costume cheaply though. This part of the project, I know perfectly well what I'm doing, but I also know perfectly well that buying so much plaster and paint will be expensive...

Anyway, can anyone who's got more experience than me (which isnt hard to have) offer some advice? Plus i'd love to hear if other people have started on Eureka Seven costumes already!
Awwwesome character design. Okay, this will be fun. I'm going to assume that you're a guy, since you didn't mention that this would be a cross play. Sorry if I guessed wrong. X3

Also, most of the patterns I'm going to show you are indeed for women, and that's just because more patterns exist for women than they do for men. XD

The ascot: Go premium and grab yourself some silk for this one. I'm not sure if you'd need a pattern, though.

The jacket: A basic track jacket. Start off with the right pattern. Though the pattern will dictate what fabric you'll use (some are designed for stretchier fabrics than others) I'd go with a heavy cotton lycra. Try this pattern:

http://www.kwiksew.com/Patterns/P3172_3192/3187.cfm

Since the jacket is a slim fit, you might need to alter the pattern to be close fitting, though that's not terribly hard if you do it from the seams. Use elastic for the bottom, not swimwear binding, because that's just not right for this cosplay. XD

This (women's) pattern is really even better:

http://www.kwiksew.com/Patterns/P3278_3297/3297.cfm

Pants: I'd try my best to make them, but if that's out of the question, try a thrift store first and then hit a regular store. Cheap clothing can be found at Target, WalMart, KMart, Old Navy, and possibly H&M, though the latter tends to be a little more expensive albeit very trendy.

If you want to take a chance and make them, take a look at this (women's) pattern:

http://www.kwiksew.com/Patterns/P3193_3216/3194.cfm

Shoes: Believe it or not, but those are boxing shoes. Pretty popular with women in recent years actually, though they make them for men. The trick is finding the right colors. You could also go for a women's shoe if the style's right. Add 1.5 sizes to your own shoe size to find your women's size equivalent.

Pretty darn close, just change the laces:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/5383159/c/29386.html

Same with these, though you'll probably have better luck finding the right size:

http://store.boxingshoes.com/titlebo...ingshoes1.html

The tongues on the shoes aren't white, but they could possibly be covered with the right fabric or painted with leather paint, if the the product will take to suede.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Gii : 06-14-2005 at 06:15 PM.
Gii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2005, 07:42 PM   #3
zephyrTR

Wow, that's an immense help! Thankyou SO much Gii. I never would have thought they were boxing shoes but they do look very similar. I agree with the problem with the tongue but you're right, that is fixable. Thanks for the ideas. I hopefully will be able to find everything in thrift shops, but i'm going to keep these sewing plans for alterations.

Anyone with budget advice, please do help me. I'm trying to keep otakon to a college-student budget, which is hard to do. Also if anyone else is going as a eureka-seven character i'd love to hear of it.

Project OTAKON:
Kamina (Gurren Lagann)
Unread 06-14-2005, 07:52 PM   #4
jennwenn

For a cheaper refboard, you could try finding an old abandoned kickboard as a base and then add stuff to it. To give it a shiny surface, you could cover it with vinyl cloth glued on or plastic sheeting.

Or, you could buy foamcore boards from art stores, glue several together to get the right thickness, and paint/cover it from there. Foamcore boards are relatively cheap, huge, smooth, and look like foam sandwiched between two sturdy layers of posterbaord. It looks like they'd be good materials to make the jetpack-looking thing on the botton of the board, if not the whole board.

What will you do for the hair? Style it?

Can't wait to see some Eureka 7 cosplay at Otakon! I expected it ever since I saw the promo art that screamed *COSPLAY ME* And Holland is one of my fav characters so far.

Last edited by jennwenn : 06-14-2005 at 08:01 PM.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2005, 08:26 PM   #5
Gii

Quote:
Wow, that's an immense help! Thankyou SO much Gii. I never would have thought they were boxing shoes but they do look very similar. I agree with the problem with the tongue but you're right, that is fixable. Thanks for the ideas. I hopefully will be able to find everything in thrift shops, but i'm going to keep these sewing plans for alterations.

Anyone with budget advice, please do help me. I'm trying to keep otakon to a college-student budget, which is hard to do. Also if anyone else is going as a eureka-seven character i'd love to hear of it.
You're going to Otakon, too? w00t.
Unread 06-15-2005, 12:54 AM   #6
zephyrTR

You know it! I can't say any of my other friends hold a fervor for E7 large enough to cosplay as a character (id LOVE to see gidget, or maybe a hot Talho to fall in love with ^_~* ) but i'll be there in costume. I was thinking do his normal outfit for friday and then go Gekko Sate Casual for saturday (i.e. nothing but a pair of orange boxers and some sandals) but security may have a problem with that... maybe not...

Project OTAKON:
Kamina (Gurren Lagann)
Unread 06-15-2005, 12:58 PM   #7
Gii

Quote:
You know it! I can't say any of my other friends hold a fervor for E7 large enough to cosplay as a character (id LOVE to see gidget, or maybe a hot Talho to fall in love with ^_~* ) but i'll be there in costume. I was thinking do his normal outfit for friday and then go Gekko Sate Casual for saturday (i.e. nothing but a pair of orange boxers and some sandals) but security may have a problem with that... maybe not...
Ehehe, the anime looks pretty cool, though I've yet to see it. Hopefully I'll be able to have my own cosplay finished by then. Since you'll probably be one of the only E7 cosplayers there, I'll give you a shout if I see you. :3
Unread 06-15-2005, 01:15 PM   #8
zephyrTR

www.nanashi-fansubs.com They seem to be the only group fansubbing right now, and they're behind. However, they do have up to episode 6 done, and its mighty fine! There are a lot of great cosplay ideas here for people who dont know who to be! Check out the main website for more pictures.

Project OTAKON:
Kamina (Gurren Lagann)
Unread 06-15-2005, 01:23 PM   #9
Gii

Oh Jeebus. There's a manga, too. : )))

P.S. The mods hate us now because we stopped talking about cosplay. XD

Last edited by Gii : 06-15-2005 at 01:25 PM.
Unread 06-17-2005, 02:27 AM   #10
zephyrTR

does anyone know of good thrift stores in the east village NYC area? ... yea i kno, very specific question. I'm just making sure.

Project OTAKON:
Kamina (Gurren Lagann)
Unread 07-27-2005, 08:50 AM   #11
supermikkosan

SWEEET!!! yea dudes Eureka Seven owns... It's my first year cosplaying so I'm still newb... ahh oh well... gotta start somewhere, yea?

1)Anybody have any idea how to make Eureka's clothes??? I got a friend who's interested in cosplaying her...
2) Does anybody have any ideas where i can get a jacket like renton's??? It looks like a snowjacket to me... but i'm not really sure. I super wanna cosplay him and appreciate any help you guys can give me~thanks Thrift shopping tomorrow~~ Also check this out:

http://www.tanomi.com/eurekaseven/
is selling renton's shoes... *drats expensive though...

zephyrTR any luck with your REFboard yet??? I wanna incorporate my skatebaord in mine so I can roll around convention area... but if not then I'll go for buying a boogieboard and cutting it up to match a REFboard as suggested by jennwenn

hope to see more E7 cosplayers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rentonxeureka.JPG (55.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg renton.JPG (22.5 KB, 0 views)
supermikkosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 11:57 AM   #12
zephyrTR

Due to my heavy work schedule, i wont be able to complete my ref board as i wanted to for this year. I'll eventually make it, i guarantee that. It's just if i'm going to make one, i'm going to do it right, and if you look at the board correctly, that wont be entirely easy, though with newspaper, plaster, cardboard, some paint, and maybe a skateboard wheel, its totally doable.

For renton's jacket, I'd suggest doing what i ended up doing for Holland's. I couldnt find one that exactly matched, so i got something close (a black warmup) and im recoloring the zipper red, and sewing on the white patches with bought fabric. Renton's might be harder to do simply because of where the colors are cut on the jacket, but look around in thrift stores. You may find what you're looking for.

Eureka's clothes would probably need to be a heavily doctored dress, or just made from scratch. Doing her would be really tough. Then again, why does your friend wanna do Eureka when she could do .... TALHO?!

Project OTAKON:
Kamina (Gurren Lagann)
Unread 04-04-2006, 10:45 AM   #13
HuongStar

Almost a year later and with it scheduled to come out on Adult Swim in the near future, I suspect this thread will be put into use.

Anyone still planning Eureka 7 cosplay? I'm trying to convince my fiancee to cosplay as Holland and my friend is getting the materials for Dominic.
Unread 04-07-2006, 12:16 AM   #14
evanae

Eureka 7's scheduled to be on Adult Swim?! That's news to me. I'm only on ep. 8 or so and haven't been able to watch more cuz of school. Maybe during my spring break next week...but anyway I have thought of cosplaying Eureka 7 cept I dunno who yet and I don't know if it'll really happen. XD; But the idea of having a Refboard sounds funn~
Unread 04-08-2006, 11:06 AM   #15
Ringo
紙の翼

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuongStar
Almost a year later and with it scheduled to come out on Adult Swim in the near future, I suspect this thread will be put into use.

Anyone still planning Eureka 7 cosplay? I'm trying to convince my fiancee to cosplay as Holland and my friend is getting the materials for Dominic.
Hehe, it got you in the end eh? ^_~

Some friends and I are working on Eureka 7 costumes as well. =D Hopefully we will have them ready by Expo. ^_^