Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-18-2003, 07:41 PM   #1
Michela
Grapes are fun!

Detangling long wigs

I have a few long wigs, (3-4 feet) and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to keep them detangled without losing too much fiber. My usual method is to wash it in a baisin of water and shampoo, put conditioner on the extremely tangled areas, and using a soft brush to brush it through while holding it up in the shower. The main problem is whenever I brush any of my wigs, long or short, I lose quite a bit of fiber. Does anyone have any tips to detangle and maintain a long wig?

I appreciate your tips and experiences. ^_^
Michela: "I'm planning to place scorpions in my next costume, so that I can approach craftsmanship judges and say, 'not only did I hand make the entire dress, but I also added scorpions into the lining. I walk carefully when I wear it because I never know when they will strike. They are crawling around somewhere in the hems as we speak...'
And the judges will reply, 'SCORPIONS, YOU SAY? HAVE A TROPHY.'
Victory will be mine."
Ali: Scorpions are the new beading!
Michela is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2003, 12:59 PM   #2
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Everything I've been told about wigs includes "NEVER brush/comb wigs when they're wet"...*shrug*

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2003, 01:22 PM   #3
Michela
Grapes are fun!

Ah, that's mostly because the style of the wig comes undone while wet, but I've had no problems with brushing wet wigs... I've pretty much given up on detangling my long wigs, though, as once I rid them of one clump of tangles, another appears o.O
Michela: "I'm planning to place scorpions in my next costume, so that I can approach craftsmanship judges and say, 'not only did I hand make the entire dress, but I also added scorpions into the lining. I walk carefully when I wear it because I never know when they will strike. They are crawling around somewhere in the hems as we speak...'
Victory will be mine."
Unread 09-19-2003, 03:59 PM   #4
Tiirz
Clothier of the Undead

With your fingers? Seriously. I'd finger comb them.

http://home.comcast.net/~tiirz/Neko_Bish_2.jpg
Tiirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2003, 07:05 PM   #5
usagi
Moon Princess

!dude! i have a method to keep long wigs from getting tangeled ;p IM me when your online k ^_~. or post exactly what you need help on on your LJ and ill get back to you on there

..i have soo many friggin usernames XD lol
XD
DarkRaven9999999: u shoudl ask him what he thinks abotu manas left testicle popping out of his miniskirt in concert
DarkRaven9999999: and it dangling liek a little odango
DarkRaven9999999: ::dies laughing::
usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2003, 01:28 AM   #6
Hitomi chan
Tía Pelucas

heeey don't just keep it in private!!! please share your secret!!! i have the same problem with my chii wig
I've heard that you have to comb them with a natural brush, not a plastic one, I've tried that but it doesn't work very well, the tangles don't get undone and still it loses a lot of fiber

Envy is a beautiful feeling, as long as I provoque it. I am totally... Hitomi.

Ta-lila boku wa odori tsuzukeru
furitsuzuku giniro no ame no shita
Ta-lila kono karada kuchihatete mo
kimi ni kono inochi ga todoku no nara
Hitomi chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2003, 12:34 PM   #7
SailorMo
Gran'ma Moonie

I feel your pain... >.< well, this is my experience with detangling:

Tools: jar of pomade and a metal pronged pik

Pomade is like a conditioner-- Just rub a little on your fingertips, and then rub your hands a bit to distribute it evenly, so it just coats your hands. Then gently stroke the hair and work it through. Too much and it will get greasy. It will calm the hair and relax any curls as well.

Now the real work-- Work in small sections at a time. After the pomading, the minor tangles should come apart fairly easy with your fingers. It'll look a bit like halloween cobwebs. If you have to pull the hair away, pull gently. If you have knots, try to separate the section further, then pick out one hair at a time 'til it gets its smallest. You won't be able to save all the hair in the knot. Start from the bottom and gently pick through the tangles as you work up the length of the hair. You should be able to gently comb straight down once the tangles are out. If it gets unruly while you're doing this, stop and spritz it with a little water and let it sit for about an hour to calm down. For the stubborn spots, hold the hair in your other hand as you comb to alleviate tension at the "roots".

To reduce tangling while in storage/transport, the loose styles, like my Megumi wig, I just loosely twist the length up into the cap and then put it back into the hairnet it came in. For the other 2-- Sailor Cosmos & Sailor Moon-- I wrap the pigtails in ribbon-- I anchor the ribbon at the cap and just criss-cross it down and tie it in a bow.

I still lose a few hairs tho, but I suppose it's unavoidable...

Aging is inevitable, however maturity is optional!

Next convention: AnimeNEXT!
SailorMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2003, 12:40 PM   #8
Beware_UY7
Reckless Youth

Whenever you brush anything: start from the bottom. If there are large knots and you brush from the top, it will just push the knots down and make them worse. So if you work in small sections and begin combing at the bottom, then slowly work your way up, you shouldn't lose too much hair. Just be really gentle.
Unread 09-20-2003, 06:51 PM   #9
Michela
Grapes are fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi
!dude! i have a method to keep long wigs from getting tangeled ;p IM me when your online k ^_~. or post exactly what you need help on on your LJ and ill get back to you on there
Usagi-chan, I love you so much! :::Triple hug::: (I just had to say that to the Wig Master XD)

Everyone, thank you for all of your help! SailorMo, I'll definitely try your method... Beware_UY7, thanks for reminding me! (Having curly hair, I always start at the bottom, but I always forget to do that with wigs ^_^;; )
Victory will be mine."
Unread 09-21-2003, 12:34 PM   #10
Michela
Grapes are fun!

Just to update, I tried a combination of all of these tips, and they worked beautifully! Thank you all very much!
I now have a new tip for anyone who is interested: At one point, I brushed the wig so much it became extremely frizzy, but once it was detangled, I dampened it a bit in the shower and added some Frizz-ease leave-in conditioner, and it made the wig look absolutely radient once it dried. It also smells great. ^_^
Victory will be mine."
Unread 02-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #11
Viviane_neechan
تور&amp;amp;#16

(I'm glad you were able to get it under control, Michela--tangly wigs are supremely frustrating!)

Just wanted to add a little something I used for anyone who might visit this in the future...(it was super-easy)

http://www.divinecaroline.com/beauty...w-detangle-wig

Basically it's just 1 part fabric softener to 4 parts water in a spray bottle. I used the techniques on this page and was actually able to fishtail-braid some 35" wefts!
Viviane_neechan is offline   Reply With Quote