Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 04-10-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
jai

Hanfu (China Han costumes)

I tried to do a board search and didn't turn up anything. I was wondering if anyone's made a Hanfu (traditional Chinese costume)? I've been wanting to make one but have no idea how to even start making one. I've seen pics on ebay and OMG, they're so pretty! But I don't want to pay like $250 for one when I can just sew it myself.

Here's some links to the ebay costumes I saw and want to try my hand at making them. There's a couple of different style ones depending on the particualr Chinese dynasty.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/China-Han-clothes... QcmdZViewItem
This is very pretty and I suspect it probably follows a typical kimono style patter but with a fuller skirt? How might that be done?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/China-Han-Clothes...cmdZV iewItem
The top wrap part looks like it curves around the body? *unsure* And how would you make something like that?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/China-Han-Clothes...cmdZV iewItem
How does that wrap part work? @_@ It almost looks like the dress wraps around the body several times.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated! If you've made one before, I'd be really grateful for any insight on how to make these! Thanks!
jai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-10-2006, 09:28 PM   #2
Tifa Lin
Lin Lin-Chan

hahah...I'm planning on doing one! It's not so hard, kind just like a normal Chinese dress with more layers and length...what do you need help with exactly?
Tifa Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
jai

Oh thank you! I was wanting help on pattern (is it just sewn like a kimono?), how do you do the fuller skirt part? Are there any guidelines on how they should be made? I've seen some online that look like the top & skirt are separate?? @_@

(and when you do that wrapped one, how do the layers work?)
Unread 04-10-2006, 10:18 PM   #4
Malicious

i'm not certain how one would make that wrapped one, but my guess is that it's 2 pieces.(unless it wraps behind her, then i'm guessing its one whole dress@_@)
why not try using wrapping paper and cutting out patterns before u cut fabric?
Malicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2006, 12:18 AM   #5
Tifa Lin
Lin Lin-Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jai
Oh thank you! I was wanting help on pattern (is it just sewn like a kimono?)...

Most are embroidered and some are just other fabric colors cut into a pretty design....but yeah....I guess you would consider it sorta like a kimono pattern...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jai
how do you do the fuller skirt part?...
Um...it depends...what did you have in mind exactly....there are a couple different ways....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jai
Are there any guidelines on how they should be made?...
Hahaha...nope! Each can come in different styles...and...there are HUNDREDS of styles...hehehe....so basically....make it how you want it! ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by jai
I've seen some online that look like the top & skirt are separate?? @_@...
Again....different varities...traditional ones, however, are full dresses with a sash...some wrap like a kimono while others are slip-ons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jai
(and when you do that wrapped one, how do the layers work?)...
Layers...depends on fabrics...for example: Some have different shear fabrics with different patterns on them. If you want all the layers to be together, them sew the top edges and borders together to keep the flowiness of the dress, like say Miss Ambrosia's Sky dancer seen here:

http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.ph...7480&cat=35882

If you want it UBBER flowing, then just wrap each separately but be careful cause it might fall apart. If you wrap tight, then you should be fine but if it's too loose a wrap, then I gurantee that it will fall apart around you...

Anything else? Did you have a certain design in mind?
Unread 04-11-2006, 01:15 AM   #6
jai

Thanks so much for answering my questions! ^^

I'm going to start of trying my hand at the most basic style (the kimono-ish one).. I guess I just cut the "skirt" part a bit fuller so it hangs properly, or insert in some fabric into the sides.

Just one last question - any idea how much fabric it might take? ^^; I'm going to guess at least 6m or so?
Unread 04-11-2006, 07:33 AM   #7
Tifa Lin
Lin Lin-Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jai
Just one last question - any idea how much fabric it might take? ^^; I'm going to guess at least 6m or so?

Hmmm....it's different for different designs, so it varies depending on what you want it to be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jai
Thanks so much for answering my questions! ^^
No probelm! If you need anymore tips, just pm me! ^^ Good Luck!
Unread 09-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
luna wings

This isn't really a reply, but I am to make something along these lines and was wondering if someone could help me figure out how they traditionally fastened the sash/obi:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-j6lp9E4Duf.../hanfublue.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2085/1...99e217500c.jpg
luna wings is offline   Reply With Quote