Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 11-07-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
noclearminds
MissDisillusioned

How to Hang a Sword From a Belt?

Hai guys! So, im currently working on Asuna from Sao, and im not very experienced in sword making. So im buying a already commissioned sword and adding my own details. However, Asuna's sword hangs from two small belts around her waist, and Im unsure on how to achieve this? Do I just poke holes or wrap it or what? XD if you have any suggestions/tutorials please share them!
noclearminds is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
Penlowe

Can you link the character? (you may need to post more or wait for moderation, low post count affects pictures & links)
There are tons of ways to hang a sword from a belt, many dictated more by the physical weight and length of the sword more than the style of armor/ clothing of the wearer. even non-metal swords can be cumbersome or heavy, so wait until you have it in hand before completing anything.

Basically, a sword belt is substantial and often separate or secondary to a belt that holds up ones pants. Most have a loop or holster type piece which may or may not be constructed separately from the belt itself which holds the scabbard (this is where pictures of the character help). Real swords don't hang from a belt without a scabbard, cartoon ones sometimes do.

If your sword weighs more than three pounds, invest in real leather for the belt, it's worth the cost to have it work well.
Unread 11-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
noclearminds
MissDisillusioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
Can you link the character? (you may need to post more or wait for moderation, low post count affects pictures & links)
There are tons of ways to hang a sword from a belt, many dictated more by the physical weight and length of the sword more than the style of armor/ clothing of the wearer. even non-metal swords can be cumbersome or heavy, so wait until you have it in hand before completing anything.

Basically, a sword belt is substantial and often separate or secondary to a belt that holds up ones pants. Most have a loop or holster type piece which may or may not be constructed separately from the belt itself which holds the scabbard (this is where pictures of the character help). Real swords don't hang from a belt without a scabbard, cartoon ones sometimes do.

If your sword weighs more than three pounds, invest in real leather for the belt, it's worth the cost to have it work well.
Okay... so probably wait until I receive it... her Sword hangs in a red scabbard. A link to a reference photo: https://abutterflysdreams.files.word...una_yuuki1.jpg
Unread 11-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

You're looking for a thing called a "sword frog." I don't know why it's called that.

There are lots of different styles out there from various sellers. Etsy may be a good place to start.

White isn't a very common color. You might need to specially commission one, depending on your budget, or get one and recolor it using an appropriate dye or paint. Meltonian Nu-Life has worked well for me in the past.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
noclearminds
MissDisillusioned

Okay thank you! I found one I could afford and am very excited to have these answers c:
Unread 11-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
Penlowe

general note: cartoon physics are in action here, unless you have a very boyish figure, the sword is not going to hang straight down at your side like hers does, it will follow the curve of your hip and stick way out to the side, enough to be problematic while walking in a crowd.

Options:
1) slide the sword around your waist to either the front or the back when walking around
2) wear the belt lower on your hips instead of right at your waist so it hangs straighter.