Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 03-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
tikigal2001

Desperate Noob Mom

My son is my "con" partner. We've only been to a couple thus far, but we have a few big ones on the horizon this year. We have not yet gone in cosplay, but my son is absolutely itching to! Problem is - we are not in a position to afford a pre-made, elaborate costume. I lost my job abruptly last year, and it took me two months to find another, so we're still playing catch up a little bit & "spare" cash is not a reality right now. We are fortunate to get tickets for free due to my job, and my son squanders his money to have a little spending cash at the conventions. Costumes are EXPENSIVE!

Luckily, my son has a pretty easy costume chosen & many friends have pointed out that this one would be very easy to just make. My son likes this idea, because it would be a fun experience to create it, & we can do it together (bonding time!). Another problem now arises - I'm a helpless goof when it comes to this sort of thing. I can barely sew up a pinhole on a seam. And again... I need to keep it very budget friendly. We have a ton of thrift stores in the area, so that could be a help.

My son wants to be Green Arrow. If I try to tackle this with no guidance from those who are more experienced or creative than I am - I'm afraid that my poor child will look like a ridiculous goober. I really want him to go to his next con feeling cool & proud of what WE made. I don't want to let the kid down. It's already a little sad that he has to attend these events on a shoestring budget - this kid just never asks for much & NEVER complains. I want so badly to beef up his enjoyment of the experience & be supermom - just once. Is there anyone here willing to make a suggestion/recommendation to help me save the day for this very sweet boy? He's deserving - spends his spare time volunteering with terminally ill children through a Make A Wish-affiliated organization. I would greatly appreciate any advice... I'm so lost over here!
tikigal2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
Penlowe

My blog was written with people like you in mind; very budget conscious I'm in that boat too. linked in my signature (3lists)

1) go read it, scroll to the bottom and start with the planning worksheet, read up through all of them because they will all help with that character.
2) you can absolutely thrift 3/4 of Green Arrow, only his cape is likely to need to be made from scratch. While you aren't likely to find anything leather in green, you may find light natural toned leather, which you can dye green yourself (leather dye is VERY DIFFERENT from cloth dye, but it's as easy as paint).
3) Don't neglect yourself in the costuming process, it's more fun to cosplay as a team. I have two daughters, and they agonize over what characters to do, because they both feel the need to be a 'set'.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote