Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 01-09-2015, 03:26 AM   #1
Umbamabumba
The Overlord of Fire

Fire Emblem cosplay question

I was contemplating Robin from Fire Emblem Awakening, but I am not sure how I would go about making the coat/robe. I would like to find something that could be possibly be altered.(i,e a bath robe, etc..) to look like the coat in question if possible.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a reference picture of the character.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ps971f8d66.png

Last edited by Umbamabumba : 01-10-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Umbamabumba is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2015, 08:49 AM   #2
Penlowe

This is quite possibly the first time someone suggested a bathrobe pattern and I agreed...

Yes, all the details aside, it is a very basic non-fitted shape. The collar is called a shawl collar and you will likely need to find a ladies specific robe pattern to get that collar instead of the typical banded edge you find on mens robes, but the patterns are out there.
Unread 01-10-2015, 10:54 PM   #3
Umbamabumba
The Overlord of Fire

Thank you for the suggestion Penlowe. However, would black bathrobe bought from the store or online, work for the coat itself? or no..
Unread 01-10-2015, 11:08 PM   #4
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbamabumba View Post
Thank you for the suggestion Penlowe. However, would black bathrobe bought from the store or online, work for the coat itself? or no..
Oh, nono. A bathrobe itself is not the suggestion. The pattern for one is. This is nort a bathrobe by any means and it is nowhere near what you want. You would use the bathrobe pattern to make what LOOKS like one, out of the correct fabric for the coat. That's what was meant.
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts II)
-Chandelure (Pokemon)
-Spirit (Soul Eater)
Jei-Cos is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2015, 11:12 PM   #5
Umbamabumba
The Overlord of Fire

Thank you for clearing up that little misunderstanding, but I have one last question though.
I have a black trench coat that i had used for a previous costume, but unfortunately the coat has red fabric dye on it, and previous patterns. I was told to sew fabric over the coat over the coat itself in order to make the robe(not as a pattern for a different coat either). Do you think that it would be too obvious that the coat is covered in fabric? Or would it work out just fine?
Unread 01-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #6
Penlowe

Yes it will be obvious, no it won't look good. Sewing a very simple pattern like a robe (not an actual robe, just the pattern) will be much easier and look better than trying to layer fabric over an existing garment. Not to mention doing that will make the costume hotter to wear and harder to launder.