Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 02-22-2015, 12:18 PM   #1
Geruka
some kid who likes potato

Conscious of my narrow hips when wearing a skirt

Hello! I don't know if this is the correct place to post this thread so I'm sorry if it is wrong !

So I'm currently in progress with my Mako Mankanshoku sailor uniform cosplay and I'm very worried on how I will look like with quite a bust and narrow hips with only a waist a few inches in ( too embarrassed to add in a picture of it I'm sorry! ). Here are some details of what I look like!

I'm 14, 5'4, 72kg, Shoulders:18inches, Waist:36.5inches, Hips: 38.5inches, Full Bust: 41inches.

Also there's a bit of tummy fat too and I'm anxious if that would affect how my skirt would flow down my waist but here; I wear spandex shorts especially under my school skirts and pants because it binds the tummy fat up,so if I try wearing them under my pleated waist skirt would it still affect the way it flows?

-I'm always concerned about how the way I look and most of the time, it brings me down. So what should I do? You can also post some ideas or advice if you want~ Thanks guys!
( ; _ ; )

Possible Conventions
Akumakon 2016
Dublin Comic Con 2015

And if you have time, take a peek at my new blog~ and possibly subscribe? You don't have to ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ http://gelfs.blogspot.ie

Last edited by Geruka : 02-22-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Geruka is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

*moved from bottom, to answer the question, i dont think it should affect anything unless you get an issue with static cling

truth...
most guys will be too busy looking at your boobs (or your face) to notice the flow of your skirt

honest opinion, unless your worried about the skirt falling off, theres no real problem
and it sounds like a confidence issue

beauty is a mater of persona, and others perception of that persona,
(ofc looks plays a role, but its not is big as we think)

as for the cosplay end of it, if your uncomfortable with it, you dont have to do it,
if your trying to use cosplay as a confidence boost (as i am)
youll probably get more benefit from having fun, than testing your boundries

i have my share of appearance based self-consious issues, but,
"im not gona let it get in my damn way" and neither should anyone else
its about fun, and being yourself, or not having to be "yourself", thats whats great about cosplay, wether your escaping from reality, or unveiling yourself to the world,
its about letting YOU shine, in your own way

not to mention the handy and creative skills you pick up along the way

Last edited by Dictamnus Albus : 02-22-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #3
Geruka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictamnus Albus View Post
*moved from bottom, to answer the question, i dont think it should affect anything unless you get an issue with static cling

truth...
most guys will be too busy looking at your boobs (or your face) to notice the flow of your skirt

honest opinion, unless your worried about the skirt falling off, theres no real problem
and it sounds like a confidence issue

beauty is a mater of persona, and others perception of that persona,
(ofc looks plays a role, but its not is big as we think)

as for the cosplay end of it, if your uncomfortable with it, you dont have to do it,
if your trying to use cosplay as a confidence boost (as i am)
youll probably get more benefit from having fun, than testing your boundries

i have my share of appearance based self-consious issues, but,
"im not gona let it get in my damn way" and neither should anyone else
its about fun, and being yourself, or not having to be "yourself", thats whats great about cosplay, wether your escaping from reality, or unveiling yourself to the world,
its about letting YOU shine, in your own way

not to mention the handy and creative skills you pick up along the way
I do have confidence issues, and it sucks most of the time cuz it stops me from doing stuff that I should be able to do like having fun in a cosplay. But I'm building my confidence little by little whenever I do cosplay so I'm just going to keep trying and not worry too much ~ thanks!

Possible Conventions
Akumakon 2016
Dublin Comic Con 2015

And if you have time, take a peek at my new blog~ and possibly subscribe? You don't have to ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ http://gelfs.blogspot.ie
Unread 02-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
o01101011
Just call me Digit

The sailor skirt will look fine on your figure. Pleated skirts actually flare strangely when it comes to large hips, so you'll be fine.
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
Geruka

Quote:
Originally Posted by o01101011 View Post
The sailor skirt will look fine on your figure. Pleated skirts actually flare strangely when it comes to large hips, so you'll be fine.
Thanks for the advice!

Possible Conventions
Akumakon 2016
Dublin Comic Con 2015

Unread 02-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #6
Penlowe

Quote:
I'm... 5'4, 72kg, Shoulders:18inches, Waist:36.5inches, Hips: 38.5inches, Full Bust: 41inches.
Um, clearly you don't realize older women would KILL to have your figure. Seriously, stop focusing on the thing you see as a flaw (because it's NOT it's just how you were made). Right now, I want you to sit down with a piece of paper and a pencil and write twenty things about your body that are AWESOME. GO!! NOW! YES REALLY TWENTY!!

Maybe you have a cute freckle on your toe? great eye color? pretty hands? strong biceps? maybe you can run for three miles without wearing out?

Focus makes all the difference. If you are struggling to make that list, ask people who love you to point out a good thing about your body, specifically males. You would be surprised what a brother or male cousin might see in you that even mom wouldn't think about.
Unread 02-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
Geruka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
Um, clearly you don't realize older women would KILL to have your figure. Seriously, stop focusing on the thing you see as a flaw (because it's NOT it's just how you were made). Right now, I want you to sit down with a piece of paper and a pencil and write twenty things about your body that are AWESOME. GO!! NOW! YES REALLY TWENTY!!

Maybe you have a cute freckle on your toe? great eye color? pretty hands? strong biceps? maybe you can run for three miles without wearing out?

Focus makes all the difference. If you are struggling to make that list, ask people who love you to point out a good thing about your body, specifically males. You would be surprised what a brother or male cousin might see in you that even mom wouldn't think about.
This made my day after coming home from school, thank you so much~ And I never knew that my figure would be that much of a want in older women! Thanks and I'll try and do what you said about 20 things that I live about my body, !!

Possible Conventions
Akumakon 2016
Dublin Comic Con 2015

Unread 02-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #8
J-Mirakuru
~*Mirakuru*~

Everyone has body imagine issues!! (even Beyonce lol)
Personally I don't think you have anything to worry about! However if you really really really want to extenuate your hips (or butt) you could try buying Booty Pop? It sounds really silly but I know some cosplayers use it when they aren't.. ehem.. blessed with an ass :P.
There are also some drag techniques for 'making' hips, but that seems a bit extreme, especially because you're body sounds fine the way it is.

WORKING ON: 2-Star Goku Uniform Mako; Kill la Kill, Princess Agitha; Legend of Zelda: TP
HISTORY: Maka Albarn; Soul Eater, Anarchy Stocking; P&SwG, Imp Midna; LoZ Twilight Princess, Megpoid Gumi; Vocaloid, Medli; Legend of Zelda Wind Waker, Asuna Yuuki; Sword Art Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Kōhai. Her name is now Kōhai.
J-Mirakuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
Rinner

You're good girl! And you don't have to be embarrassed about posting photos here. Everyone is very nice and we're all here for the same thing - our love of cosplay! So if you ever do want to post a photo don't be intimidated
Unread 02-23-2015, 01:20 PM   #10
Geruka

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mirakuru View Post
Everyone has body imagine issues!! (even Beyonce lol)
Personally I don't think you have anything to worry about! However if you really really really want to extenuate your hips (or butt) you could try buying Booty Pop? It sounds really silly but I know some cosplayers use it when they aren't.. ehem.. blessed with an ass :P.
There are also some drag techniques for 'making' hips, but that seems a bit extreme, especially because you're body sounds fine the way it is.
I heard about that booty pop underwear thing, it weirded me out but it does help when I think of It xD and I also saw drag queens pad themselves with foam but I don't think I'd be okay with doing that to myself~ thanks very much for the help!

Possible Conventions
Akumakon 2016
Dublin Comic Con 2015

Unread 02-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #11
Geruka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinner View Post
You're good girl! And you don't have to be embarrassed about posting photos here. Everyone is very nice and we're all here for the same thing - our love of cosplay! So if you ever do want to post a photo don't be intimidated
Thanks~ I'm never really fond of taking full body photos but I know members here respect each other and has dealt with these problems at one point!

Possible Conventions
Akumakon 2016
Dublin Comic Con 2015

Unread 02-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #12
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

booty-pops... ya dont stick garbage in your pants, it looks rediculous

im curious, have you ever tried to put a name on what your issues might be?

when i did for myself, i came up with avoidant personality
(as opposed to the depression iv always known i was wrongly diagnosed with)

activites like cosplay should definatly help with most anxiety issues
sometimes putting a name to things yourself makes things clearer
Unread 02-24-2015, 01:27 AM   #13
Geruka

Quote:

im curious, have you ever tried to put a name on what your issues might be?
I've always thought of my self to be having anxiety at most of the time and happens whenever I'm usually calm or when I remember something from long ago, and cosplay seems to do help me when it comes to that at times.

Possible Conventions
Akumakon 2016
Dublin Comic Con 2015

Unread 02-24-2015, 01:00 PM   #14
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

thats good that you can recognise whats going on in your head,

it took me till i was 25 to realize that having anxiety didnt have to mean "episodes of panic"
as is the common misconception

anxiety is one of those things that, while there are medications for it, (hate meds)
the most effective thing is "exposure"/ facing it, and knowing this early enough to have
opportunities to do so, as some anxiety disorders can lead up to reclusiveness

glad that you caught it at a young age and are already doing somthing about it
wether it was intentional or happenstancial

cosplay is one of those things thats more "a pursuit of happyness" (theres no other "real" reason for doing it),
so dont be shy, and know that the community is rooting for you

or atleast i am, i like watching (thinking that) things go from a few questions on the forums,
to a finished product, and hopefully a fun time, (i would hope other do too)
which makes me wish more people would post in the "costume critque" section,
or as it should be known, the "i did it" section when they complete thier cosplay
seeing the quality cosplays and even ones that dont look super great but the person
is "owning it" and having fun anyway, can be inspirational

Last edited by Dictamnus Albus : 02-24-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Unread 02-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #15
Geruka

Quote:
thats good that you can recognise whats going on in your head,

it took me till i was 25 to realize that having anxiety didnt have to mean "episodes of panic"
as is the common misconception

anxiety is one of those things that, while there are medications for it, (hate meds)
the most effective thing is "exposure"/ facing it, and knowing this early enough to have
opportunities to do so, as some anxiety disorders can lead up to reclusiveness

glad that you caught it at a young age and are already doing somthing about it
wether it was intentional or happenstancial

cosplay is one of those things thats more "a pursuit of happyness" (theres no other "real" reason for doing it),
so dont be shy, and know that the community is rooting for you

or atleast i am, i like watching (thinking that) things go from a few questions on the forums,
to a finished product, and hopefully a fun time, (i would hope other do too)
which makes me wish more people would post in the "costume critque" section,
or as it should be known, the "i did it" section when they complete thier cosplay
seeing the quality cosplays and even ones that dont look super great but the person
is "owning it" and having fun anyway, can be inspirational
When I'm done with my costume, hopefully I'll have the guts to post it on the cosplay critique section~ Little things like these just seem to get in the way because I tend to panic a lot xD

Possible Conventions
Akumakon 2016
Dublin Comic Con 2015