Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 07-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
milkcosplay

Persona 4 grade pins help!

I posted this on the Persona sub forum but it seems to be pretty much empty right now, so im gonna check here. apologies if it doesnt exactly fit here!

Any ideas where I can find the hard metal grade pins that came out like 5 years ago and are currently sold out... literally everywhere? I really would love to buy these and I don't want to settle for just embroidering it on the collar now that I know they're supposed to be pins. And making it myself..... doesn't really sound very fun. The only thing I'd think to do is make them out of clay, which I am not very good with sculpting with, especially with things are supposed to be perfectly symmetrical.

I've checked every link that comes up on Google i can find, ebay, etsy, pretty much everywhere. I've been lucky enough to find the second year pins on ebay but I need the first years (I'm doing Naoto.)
milkcosplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-17-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
o01101011
Just call me Digit

Look for metal roman numerals. You can always glue a pin back onto them, and I know they make the numbers for clocks and such. You might be able to find some in plastic, too, which would just require paint.
o01101011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2015, 02:57 PM   #3
milkcosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by o01101011 View Post
Look for metal roman numerals. You can always glue a pin back onto them, and I know they make the numbers for clocks and such. You might be able to find some in plastic, too, which would just require paint.

that's actually really smart… the only problem is that i won't be able to find the pin that goes on the other side of their collar, since it's a weird circle thing. here's a picture--i should have specified that these come in the set as well as the roman numerals on the one side. but i might be able to make that one… the only problem will be trying to get a perfect circle.
Unread 07-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
meowstics

You could make them out of foam, seal them, make them sturdier with plastidip, and then paint them metallic.
meowstics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2015, 08:09 PM   #5
Delve

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowstics View Post
You could make them out of foam, seal them, make them sturdier with plastidip, and then paint them metallic.
I second this. Metallic nail polish works too.

Anime California & PMX 2015
RWBY
Black Lagoon

Anime North 2016:
Pokemon
Wolf's Rain

Anime Expo 2016:
Rokka
Vocaloid
Gate
Delve is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
HandsomeCosplay
I've got too much fabric!

For that second pin, maybe you could find a sturdy plastic peace symbol and cut out one of the pieces to get the 3 lines? And if it wasn't gold already, some paint or nail polish like Delve said.

Cosplays in Progress:
Nui Harime (Planning, KLK)
Tharja (Planning, FE:A)
Princess Bubblegum (Planning, AT)

Tumblr Facebook
HandsomeCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2015, 10:20 PM   #7
o01101011
Just call me Digit

Another alternative? Shrinky dinks.
o01101011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2015, 07:35 AM   #8
Penlowe

Or, contact the etsy sellers doing metal pins for similar things. They may still have the molds but are not producing large quantities be cause it isn't new anymore.
I had success getting a mockingjay pin for my daughter this way (first one got lost/stolen, went back to the original seller and she was happy to make us another)
Unread 07-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #9
milkcosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by o01101011 View Post
Another alternative? Shrinky dinks.

Thank everyone for their replies! Foam also seems to be a good idea as well, that way I can draw on it to make sure it's perfectly even. I don't have any experience with this at all but it seems interesting… so you just trace out your shape and then bake it? that would definitely be easy but im not sure D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
Or, contact the etsy sellers doing metal pins for similar things. They may still have the molds but are not producing large quantities be cause it isn't new anymore.
I had success getting a mockingjay pin for my daughter this way (first one got lost/stolen, went back to the original seller and she was happy to make us another)
I've tried this, actually, but I don't think they make the pins themselves; they're an official item that came out in japan so they're probably just leftovers from when they originally came out. Which is why they're sold out everywhere; theres not very many leftovers. I haven't found any fan-made ones who have the molds to make them; just like hobby shops and things who carry them.