Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 06-11-2015, 02:52 PM   #1
madtanuki

Exclamation Monkey D Luffy bare chest + scar help

Hopefully someone can help me out here!

This is going to be my second cosplay ever, so I am extremely new in terms of making my own things and thinking outside of the box to achieve them. I'm planning on cosplaying Monkey D Luffy after the two year time skip from the series One Piece. Here is a reference of him.

The problem I've run into is I cannot open chest bind. I do not have permission and my breasts are too large (Above DD). I'm trying to save as much money as possible, so I've found multiple ways on how to make my own binder.

The only options I've found that I can do is get a flesh colored leotard and paint the muscles and scar with an airbrush, so this would go over my binder. There's also a torso body sock and a compression shirt/binder. The body sock and compression shirts are going to be more expensive so I'm looking for alternatives but want to know if either of these things would even be a good idea?

I want to be able to blend whatever I'm wearing in with my actual skin color so it doesn't look weird.
Is using a skin colored leotard a good idea? What about the compression top or body sock? If not, what would be good alternatives?

If I wasn't clear enough, please ask me whatever I need to answer and I'll get right to it.

Last edited by madtanuki : 06-13-2015 at 05:24 PM.
madtanuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2015, 08:16 AM   #2
Penlowe

Body socks tend to be very sheer, like panty hose (and as easily ruined). It will give neither support nor enough visual coverage.

The compression shirt will give full coverage and reduce jiggle. The hard part about it is getting flesh tone as they don't come in as many colors.

Do I think either of those will substitute for traditional binding? no. Why? well, you've got a lot of flesh to support, and support is still something you need to do even though you want to flatten as much as possible. I'd get the smoothest profile sports bra you can find, then use fabric strips over that to mush some more. It's cheaper than the other options and still supports you.
Unread 06-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I swear by my compression shirt when and where I need my entire torso flattened, so it'll do the binding job. But it's white. Very white. It will show through anything that isn't opaque, and the collar edge is really obvious under anything skin-tight. So if you use a compression shirt, you're going to need an opaque lycra shirt that will cover the whole thing. Trouble with that? The more opaque the lycra (whether a shirt or leotard), the harder it is to get it to match your skin tone. And, leotards or other pre-made spandex items have collars and sleeves that are hemmed, which really breaks up the illusion.

A fleshtone sleeveless top made from power mesh is a little easier to match to your skin tone, but admittedly harder to paint. I have one for my Law tattoos, and I smudged it on the first go by accidentally moving it while it was still wet. The illusion with power mesh (or any slightly transparent/sheer fabric) is a bit easier if you only bind up top. Sports bras, wraps, the super-pricey trans tank top binders...what have you. You don't have to hem it, it won't unravel, and the lack of hem lets the mesh netting lay against your skin so that it won't look like a wrinkly fabric garment - it really does fool the eye. You just have to sew it extremely well so that you can put it on and take it off without ripping any seams, but also have it hug your contours.

You'll never accomplish complete passing, no matter what, but at least you could fool people at a distance. I got people who knew me out of costume to believe I was actually shirtless as Law, so anything's possible. More power to you if you can airbrush, I want one so badly. And make sure the scar isn't one solid flat color but has the natural tones of a scar. You might even be able to do a little latex work on top of the power mesh to create a "real" scar.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
madtanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
A fleshtone sleeveless top made from power mesh
You actually reminded me that I stumbled across something not too long ago, and I was wondering what your opinions would be on it. This shop makes muscle torso shirts for cosplay and has done a custom luffy chest piece in the past. It seems like the easiest option since the others seem very difficult to successfully achieve.
Unread 08-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #5
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

OMG THEY HAVE BARTY ahem

well, for 55 that's not terrible. It's a little creepy just looking at the pictures, but they're photographed well so they probably look just as quality in person. I'd want to see a review from someone with their own cosplay photos to prove it, though. For custom airbrush work that's a super-good price. NGL I'm actually tempted, because 55 bucks is still less than an airbrush and air compressor.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #6
madtanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
I'd want to see a review from someone with their own cosplay photos to prove it, though.

People have reviewed and also taken pictures of the ones that they've received. They look exactly the same and everyone has nothing but good things to say, so I actually am going with this option!