Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Unread 06-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
schmii

Victorian Dress Help

Hello, I a planing to construct a Victorian inspired dress and I need a little help fabric wise. I've tried doing research but I've heard differing opinions. I was thinking about Casa Satin for the dress but heard people advise against Satin. I then considered a Taffeta but the color I like only comes in a satin Taffeta. I am also considering using crepe, but not silk crepe. So I'm feeling a bit at a loss. Can anyone make some suggestions of fabric to use?

As for examples think along the lines of anime like Kuroshitsuji and Godchild. Also the dress will be full length.

Last edited by schmii : 06-28-2010 at 12:47 PM.
schmii is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Most people advise against satin because of how cheap it can look when photographed. What color are you looking for though? As well as a price range if you have a budget you want to work with. That can help in deciding what people can suggest. I just did two Victorian-esque costumes this year. One was Madam Red from Kuroshitsuji and I made the entire thing out of cotton sateen. It worked beautifully and feels wonderful to wear. The other was just a skirt, overskirt, and french vest bodice I made and the whole thing was made of Italian silk (got lucky and had a friend who lived in Italy for two years and got it for me) and silk shantung. These fabrics were just exquisite and made me feel really elegant, but they are VERY pricey.

And I want to say thank you for mentioning Godchild! Most people don't seem to remember that series, especially with the rise of Kuroshitsuji as a dominate Victorian-based manga!
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
schmii

Cotton Sateen was one of the fabrics I was considering. It was either or going to be Casa Satin. I was planing to do the dress in a deep red maybe a Burgundy or even a Bordeaux. I'll try to look into Italian Silk as well. Thank you!

I know people have forgotten Godchild. It's one of my favorite series and one of the few I frequently re-read.
Unread 06-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

I'm biased because I have a deep-seated fear of polyester, but I think you should at least consider the dupioni from silkbaron.com. It's about 10$ per yard (which really isn't that much more expensive than some of the nicer synthetics--I've seen good poly taffeta and bridal satin go for considerably more). He's got just about every color under the sun, too.
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Dupioni for $10 a yard is pretty damned good! That's about what I would expect to pay on the low end. I might have to bookmark that site and go to it when I start working on some new costumes!
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
alliebeth
Show me your teeth.

There is a world of difference between casa satin (also called lamour, duchess(e), mystique, etc, depending on where you buy) and costume satin. Costume satin is very very shiny. Casa satin is actually so dull you can sometimes not even tell it is satin until you get really close.

Casa satin also has a beautiful drape and medium weight. Costume satin is usually very flimsy.

I suggest Casa satin 100%. Especially because Joann (Casa is their in-house brand of special occasion fabrics) often has 50% off their Casa collection, or 40-50% off coupons in the mail. So, you end up getting $8/yd fabric for $4. Can't beat that. It's very beautiful and sews great.
[/color][/size]
alliebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
schmii

Okay, thanks for the help everyone! Now I have a better idea for what I need and what I will do!
Unread 06-30-2010, 12:57 AM   #8
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I also recommend duchesse satin (I guess it's called Casa, we don't have Joann's here) and am also a huge fan of Silk Baron. They have colours no-one else has!

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
Satine

Cotton sateen will be fine too But consider the purpose the dress is for. That is always the most important guide for fabric choice

Cotton sateen for morning, day and afternoon wear and a flat silk (taffeta etc.) for day and evening and a good silk satin lookalike only for the evening or for formal reception type events.

We are a little more free nowadays as to wearing satin during the day but it certainly still is not on par with wearing a ball dress during the day
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote