Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Closed Thread
Unread 06-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
alchemy_girl
Memorize it bitch!

Is cosplaying an 'OC' a bad thing?

This is my first forum thread here, so I'm hoping I'm doing this right.

I've been going to FanExpo Canada for a couple of years now and I decided, for this year, that I'm going as an OC of mine based off of Kingdom Hearts.

I'm having some help making the costume and am making the Kingdom Key to go with it, but then I know for a fact that there are some people out there who despise OC's.

Even though I'm 25 and LOVE doing cons and such, I can get pretty emotional over a insult that can ruin my entire weekend.

I just want to hear some opinions about cosplaying OC's and what to do if I get good/bad comments about it.
I'm really looking forward to this cosplay 'cause I'm working so hard on it to make it as good as it can be.

Thank you in advance.

๑۩۞۩๑Cosplay:๑۩۞۩๑
Anime North 2012

๑۩۞۩๑Future Cosplay Projects:๑۩۞۩๑
Hiccup - How To Train Your Dragon
Twilight Sparkle Gijinka - My Little Pony: FiM
Pinkie Pie Gijinka 'Cupcakes' Version - My Little Pony: FiM

๑۩۞۩๑Future Cosplay Ideas:๑۩۞۩๑
Edward Elric (series or movie)
Tak (Human Form)/Gaz from Invader Zim
Kingdom Hearts

Last edited by alchemy_girl : 06-29-2010 at 06:55 PM.

Unread 06-29-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

Cosplay whatever the hell you want. There's no rule that says you can't What anyone else says is moot if it's something you want to do.
Unread 06-29-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
avskull
Seattle, WA cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy_girl View Post
I've been going to FanExpo Canada for a couple of years now and I decided, for this year, that I'm going as an OC of mine from Kingdom Hearts.
If its an original character then how can it be from kingdom hearts unless you created kingdom hearts. If people dont recognize you because you created the character then i dont know why they would be mad.
Unread 06-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Kitsune-sama
The Hot Glue Queen

You asked for comments, so here goes...

Personally, I despise OC cosplays with a heated passion. Every time I see someone cosplaying their original character from a series, they always have to go into a long explanation of who they are and so on. I get bored, and I figure it must be tough to have to explain the same, long thing to everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I have tons of original characters myself (mostly from original stories) but I would never cosplay them, mainly because I could never do them justice, and I wouldn't want to be stuck explaining all con.

Not to mention, someone can go dressed in all Hot Topic and throw on a ninja headband and say they're some ninja princess from Naruto or something as ridiculous as that. I've also seen awful skits at masquerades with original characters that have made me want to punch children.

All in all, I'd advise against cosplaying an OC. :c
Unread 06-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Envy_1988

Well really its up to you. Like posted unless you have avid readers also going to the con you probably wont even be noticed. But the thing is to not go into explanation like if someone asks what your cosplaying says its an OC from blank. If they ask you you can all get into a discussion. Also you might not get as many pictures taken of you as if you were cosplaying a known charecter. So all in all i dont care but not everyone is as accepting so you just have to be aware that there may be people who look down on it. Then again its not any different then if you were to cosplay something else cuz people who hate shows may hate the cosplayers too. So in the end if you wanna do it go ahead.
Unread 06-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

Go for it! Just don't give your character's life story unless somebody asks, 90% of people do not give a damn. If someone asks who you are, simply say "I'm an original character" and leave it at that.
youtube channel! Facebook Page
Unread 06-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
kingselite
Game Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy_girl View Post
This is my first forum thread here, so I'm hoping I'm doing this right.

I've been going to FanExpo Canada for a couple of years now and I decided, for this year, that I'm going as an OC of mine from Kingdom Hearts.

I'm having some help making the costume and am making the Kingdom Key to go with it, but then I know for a fact that there are some people out there who despise OC's.

Even though I'm 25 and LOVE doing cons and such, I can get pretty emotional over a insult that can ruin my entire weekend.

I just want to hear some opinions about cosplaying OC's and what to do if I get good/bad comments about it.
I'm really looking forward to this cosplay 'cause I'm working so hard on it to make it as good as it can be.

Thank you in advance.
i say cosplay however you want to as long as you enjoy it and like the character you're playing. as for the good/bad comments, ignoring is best, if its still getting to you, having a boyfriend, husband or friends with you usually wards away negative people and helps keep your spirits up. if you don't have any friends going then check out the fan expo section on the forums. always a bunch of us posting there about going, us ottawa people have to stick together XD.
Unread 06-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
bellasignorina
Certified Badass

Do it. I'm bringing an original character to a Heroes VS Villains party at Dragon*Con, after already having cosplayed her at my Superhero themed birthday party this year to great success. Cosplaying OCs can be a lot of fun! I have to agree with everyone else though when they say skip the lengthy backstory. If someone asks, just keep it short and sweet. They're admiring the costume, not the backstory.

Facebook me honeys! Princess Mentality Cosplay

2013 Cons

Project A-Kon
San Diego Comic Con
Glitch Con
Dragon*Con
New York Comic Con
Unread 06-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
Altrus
I love dogs!

Dear Alchemy_girl,

My advice is to ignore some of what Kitsune-sama said. There is absolutely nothing wrong with OCs. My first ever cosplay was an Original Character from an original setting of mine (you can check my profile to see it if you want). I designed the costume myself. It always gets a nice reception! Now, admittedly, the type of con you go to is somewhat important in this. At anime boston and Otakon, while I do get my picture taken occasionally, and many nice compliments, people are looking mostly for recognizable characters. At PAX East however, it was absolutely loved for the fact that it also let me say I was cosplaying a D&D sorcerer, and I even got interviewed by a few gaming sites.

Now, I would say, however, if people ask you who/what you are, just say "This is my original character", or, for you, since you're cosplaying a KH character "This is my Kingdom hearts inspired cosplay" and leave it at that, since most people don't want a lecture on fancharacters (which is technically more what you are) at a con, it's a bit of a matter of etiquette. Also, the more coherently designed the costume is, the more you'll distinguish yourself from people who, as said by Kitsune "Just toss on a ninja headband and whatever and call themselves a ninja princess". I've seen both fabulous and awful OCs, and the biggest distinguishing factor is how well designed the costume is.

Regardless, in the end, cosplay is about having fun, so do what you enjoy!
Unread 06-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
fujyoshi
BL goggles :D

all my originals are in my original stuff album, when going to cons I usually wear them on the last day because of all the cosplay events that happen fridays and saturdays. The only downside is the fact that I end up not getting that many pictures taken in them.
Unread 06-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
☆ KEITA
Pokémon Master

This is just my opinion. You asked for opinions, so here goes.

I don't hate it, but it annoys me. Though only in the case where you say you have an OC from a series that is already created and is obviously not yours. Like honestly? There are already many characters that you can cosplay from that series.

The thing that ticks me off the most is when people make an OC for a series and just throw together random clothes that don't fit into the 'world' of the series and say that they're cosplaying from -whatever series here- and that they're 'accurate' because it's their OC. -- I'm not saying that is what you're doing, but I see that around and it's so bad.

Though it does change things when you say the cosplay is inspired by a series.

When someone cosplays an OC from their own created original world however, is fine with me.

Upcoming Cosplay
WWWl Stocking MALE VER (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)
WWWl Horohoro TOURNAMENT VER (Shaman King)
WWWl Vivi (Luminous Arc)
WWWl Syaoran (Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle)

Last edited by ☆ KEITA : 06-29-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Unread 06-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #12
ladyxzeus
Mrs. Lady Gackt Camui

I have a firm opinion on original characters. Before cosplaying one, answer these questions:

1. Is your Original Character a good Original Character? Fanfic inserts are not "good". Generic cat eared boys with chains that are called Ritsuko-chin are not "good". Anything that you can find the same or better on the lowest-rank fantasy book is not "good".

2. Is the outfit of your character complex, intricate or interesting? A Sailor Uniform and striped socks is not any of the above.

3. Your character's features are simply enough to understand that with a "oh it's an original character" everyone around you will be satisfied and you won't have to bother people for 10 minutes explaining an uninteresting and uninspired back story?

If you answered yes to all 3, go ahead. If not, there are plenty existing characters to try out.

Waratte oemashou sore ha chiisana na inori
Unread 06-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #13
ANBUwasabi
アンブ

I say, just do as you please, Im going to my next con as a Anbu Black Ops member, although Im going to add some more intricate details & accesories to the costume to give it a sense of uniqueness, but as long as you're having fun thats whats up
YasumiCon
Chibi-Pa Go

[W]ork [i]n [P]rogress
Anbu Kakashi w/ some tweaks: 100(?)%

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/x...katsukisig.png <--- This Pic Contradicts My Name in 200,000 non-sequential ways.
Unread 06-29-2010, 02:31 PM   #14
TR Rose
Meowing About

My opinion is that cosplaying an original character works best if there is some basis for this character in the universe they are supposed to be from.

A few examples. FMA shows a huge military. They don't talk about every single soldier and/or alchemist in the military. Cosplaying with an FMA uniform as an "original" character makes sense in that universe. Lots of stories have bad guy characters with lots of similarly dressed minions - like Star Wars Stormtroopers or the Team Rocket organization from Pokemon. A high school series where the students wear the same uniform - Lucky Star, Ouran HS Host Club, Harry Potter... lots of room to make an "original" character who makes sense. People will recognize a standard uniform type of character from its source material even if they don't recognize the specific character.

OCs who are in-game avatars in things like MMOs work well. It's easily explained as "this is my character from WoW" or whatever.

Completely original characters work well also, especially if your costume is amazingly detailed and eye-catching. I remember seeing a guy on stilts dressed as a faun from mythology. Really nifty costume that stood out from the crowd. I took a photo even though he wasn't from anything that I knew of. Same goes for a lot of detailed fursuits. They might be someone's anthropomorphic original design or from a pre-existing source - if it looks cool, I'll take a photo (particularly if it's really well made).

What doesn't make as much sense to me are things like OC Organzation 13 members. There are only 13 of them, it's in the name. Adding new ones doesn't work. Usually it comes across looking like you didn't have time to get a wig/props together.

Generally speaking, a lot of OC character designs don't look much different from regular clothing at a convention - raver gear, cat ears, props purchased in the dealers' room. There is nothing wrong with this. Wear your cat ears and carry a Buster Sword around - have fun and enjoy the convention. But don't be surprised if you aren't stopped for photos or people don't realize that you are cosplaying.

tl;dr: wear what you like. If you are cosplaying just to have fun wearing an unusual outfit, dress up in whatever your heart desires. But if you are looking to be photographed and get a lot of attention, pick an existing character or go all out with a fantastically detailed and eye-catching original design.
• 10th Doctor
Unread 06-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #15
AnimatedPoison

A costume is a costume, and there's no reason people should be complaining about an OC-- it's none of their business. You didn't get a say in what costumes other people wear, so who are they to tell you what to do either? You just need thick enough skin to deal with the fact that not everybody will like what you do, and that's not just in cosplay, but in life in general.
Closed Thread