Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > J-Rock/J-Pop > Vocaloid

Unread 06-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
zombisaurus
BRAVE★SOUL

Breastplate help?

My friend is cosplaying Meiko from Vocaloid--more specifically, from the PV "Synchronicity".

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/a...-09-205472.jpg

That's an image of the costume. I'm helping her make it, and we've got pretty much everything down--everything but the breastplate. The initial plan was to use the craft foam tutorial, but she's pretty convinced that it won't work. Neither of us have actually made armor out of craft foam, and I'm beginning to doubt it'll work, too. So before I totally scrap the idea, I was wondering if Coscom could possibly tell me if this idea is plausible or not? Thanks in advance!

CURRENT COVENTIONS
Ikkicon 2011
Tengu (RoboGeisha)— -planning-
Military Academy!Makoto (BlazBlue: CT)— 30%
Team Galactic female grunt (Pokemon: Platinum)— 80%

Anime Matsuri 2011
Battle Dance (Pop'n Music)— -planning-
BlackFire (Teen Titans)— -planning-
Meg (Burst Angel)— -25%
zombisaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Nerfherder
Puu! - Mokona

I guess there are many ways to do it, I'd search for old threads and check the existing tutorials for body armor, some have good tips. I've heard some making a mock-up of their waist-to-neck and just build it on top of the mockup.. That way you get to build it specifically for your body shape. Another way I could think of (but would not recommend) is wearing 2-3 right t-shirts, and your friend putting wonderflex directly on yourself, and when it's cooled down, you'll have a breastplate that is a little bit roomy. 2-3 layers of wonderflex would definately be sturdy enough, if not, make it two layers and reinforce with another cheaper material.

If I made a breastplate I'd make it in two pieces, one front piece and one back piece and use velcro, straps or some kind of lacing to attach the two pieces together or to the body. I suppose it COULD be made in one piece but in general because of how a body is shaped, and especially the female body in this case, it would be easier to make it in two pieces. Make sure that it does not limit movements to much, atleast sitting down and walking should be possible, and moving your arms.

Armor will _ALWAYS_ restrict movement but can be made relatively well. Leaving room below the arm and not making it too far out on the shoulder is crucial. Making it too long (passing waist) would also limit movement a lot. Just remember to reinforce it so much that your body is partially stopped before it breaks or creases - else you will have a very hard time moving around in it.
Nerfherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
schmii

I know an excellent craft for tutorial! I'm using it to make metallic wings and know people who have used it before. It yields pretty nice results. Hopefully this helps you!
Craft Foam Armor Tutorial
schmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
lisacox128
Banned

really??? are u sure it is that good??
lisacox128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
zombisaurus
BRAVE★SOUL

@Nerfherder: Actually, that t-shirt idea really got me thinking, and I'm pretty sure I've figured out a way to do it. With craft foam, mind you, which I think is a lot cheaper than wonderflex. We're working on a very, very low budget.. ^^;;

Yeah, when we first started planning this, we agreed that it would be two pieces held together with velcro--it's how it is in the picture and the PV, so that's definitely the way we're going to try and do it.

Thanks for the advice!

@schmii: Yeah, that's the tutorial my friend and I plan on using! Thank you for suggesting it, though!

CURRENT COVENTIONS
Ikkicon 2011
Tengu (RoboGeisha)— -planning-
Military Academy!Makoto (BlazBlue: CT)— 30%
Team Galactic female grunt (Pokemon: Platinum)— 80%

Anime Matsuri 2011
Battle Dance (Pop'n Music)— -planning-
BlackFire (Teen Titans)— -planning-
Meg (Burst Angel)— -25%
zombisaurus is offline   Reply With Quote