Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Helmet Tutorial (Celty Sturluson)

Kay...well...
I've been asked many times how I made my helmet, so I decided to just put it out there so people who wanted to try the same method wouldn't have to fumble their way through, making unnecessary mistakes and having to drop a bunch of cash to fix everything.
If any other Celtys have alternate methods, feel free to post them! I'll gladly add them!

Flora88's Celty Helmet Tutorial

Okay. The first step is to acquire a helmet. Ebay is generally the cheapest option, though Pep Boys has some full-face helmets as well.

About buying a helmet

1. Make DAMN sure that it's sized correctly. If it's too big, it'll flop around on your head and swing when you turn. If it's too small...you won't be able to fit inside it. O_O

A lot of sellers will have size charts. To size, you measure the circumference of your head around where your temples are (aka- the biggest part of your noggin.)

2. Make sure to tell the seller to include the tinted or smoked visor. This is usually free.
Remember, Celty is HEADLESS, so if we can see your head beyond the visor...you've just thrown off the illusion.
If you get one that's untinted, it's not a woe-is-me sort of thing, but it will add to the overall cost by about thirteen dollars. Just pick up some auto window tint from Wal Mart, cut it into the shape you need, and glue it to the inside of the visor. Problem solved.
Another option is to use tail-light tint. It's spray-on, so you'll have to remove your visor from your helmet to do it. However, don't go this route if you're not the best with spray paint, or get someone to do it for you.

Then, go to your local arts/crafts store and pick up:
Paperclay*
2 large packages of Sculpey**
Four bottles of Acrylic paint (yellow of your choice, medium gray, black, blue of your choice)
One can of spray-on acrylic sealer (gloss)
A sanding block

You'll also need some aluminum foil and some hot glue.

* How much paperclay you get depends on whether you want to cover the entire helmet in paperclay or just the ears and the "seam" between the ears and the helmet.
Whole helmet = 4 packages.
Just the ears = 1.5 packages.

** You can omit the sculpey if you want to make the ear forms out of aluminum foil instead. Aluminum foil would be lighter, sculpey is more substantial. It's your choice, really. You can actually make an aluminum foil core, then put sculpey on top of it and bake it, too.

The Ears

Okay, now get whatever you're using the make the ear forms (sculpey, aluminum foil, both, etc.) and shape it into two wedge shapes slightly smaller than the ears would be on the helmet (because you're going to put paperclay over the ear forms, and it'll make them a bit bigger.) As you're doing this, position the ear forms as they would be on the helmet and contour the bottoms to the helmet. If you don't, your ears are going to stick out, and it'll look weird. Oh! And MARK where the ears should be on the helmet so you'll know when it comes time to glue them down.

If you're using sculpey, bake it and wait for it to cool, then look for your marks and hot glue the ear forms on.
If using just aluminum foil, go straight on to gluing the ear forms on.

Then, open your paperclay and spread the paperclay over the ears and the seam between the ears and the helmet, or over the entire thing, ears and all (not including the visor.) Try to get it as smooth as possible. It'll help with the sanding part.

Now, wait for it to dry. This could take a while, so be patient.

Once it's dry, get out your sanding block and sand the shit out of the ears (if just the ears) or the entire helmet (if you paperclayed over the entire thing) until it reaches the desired smoothness. Have patience! This is a lengthy process, and it'll probably make your hand hurt.

And if it dries and cracks, it isn't the end of the world. Just re-wet it, re-mold that small section and let that part dry again.

Once it's smooth, get out your paint and put just a tiny, tiny (like if you're making a cup of paint, put in a drop about a about a quarter of the size of the head of a nail) bit of gray in with each color, so it's not unearthly vibrant, and put the paint in two separate bowls. First, cover your visor with paper and paint the entire helmet with the yellow mixture and wait for it to dry.
Then paint on the blue designs. I'd suggest making a stencil for the "S" shape. I didn't, but only because I'm a lazy ass with a lot of experience painting and knew I could do it right.

If you want, you can use a thin-nibbed black or dark blue marker to go over the edges of the blue so it looks sharp, but it's not necessary. If you do this, you HAVE to wait a while for it to dry before you spray on the acrylic sealer or the sharpie will run.
Then paint on the black insides of the ears and the black vents on the back.

It's good to have a reference on hand for this portion especially.

If you mess up, just paint over it.

Then, once that's all dry, make DAMN SURE your visor is covered with paper and spray on the gloss acrylic sealer. If you don't, the acrylic sealer will adhere to the plastic of your visor and will make it cloudy, like un-see-out-able. And you won't be able to wipe it off. O_O

Wait for THAT to dry, pull the paper off your visor, then, voila! You've got your helmet!

More advice from hartknyx:

-"I found it was pretty easy to sand off a fair amount of clay, so I would advise being generous while molding, especially around corners and edges. A little bit of my tin foil poked through at a couple points, so I covered those bits up with new paperclay and resanded them. It worked just fine.
-Similarly, the first time around when you're smoothing out the paperclay before it dries, remember that lumps are wayyyy easier to sand off than divots.
-When sanding, dust goes EVERYWHERE - on your clothes, in the helmet, and all over my floor >.> Definitely do it with a mask and/or outside.

Between making two sets of ear forms (the shape wasn't right the first time) and molding and sanding the paperclay, it's probably taken me 7 or 8 hours so far, but it's well worth it."

Also, if you use this tutorial in the making of your helmet, please let me know, and do please credit it. Thanks!

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars

Last edited by Flora88 : 11-06-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
ANNAPO

Ahh Hi! I have a few questions > u<;;

I have the mortocycle helmet with a clear visor and just today I went out and bought auto window tint so I tried to put it on but it didn't exactly work

so I'm wondering how you did it since you didn't give to much detail on that part D: are there other ways to tint as well?

Also I'm wondering should one sand the entire helmet before painting even if you don't plan on covering the entire thing with paperclay? -kinda sanded the whole helmet- my bro told me to do so orz
ANNAPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Oh! Well with the window tint you can do what I did and cut it out and try to adhere it to the front of the visor, which will take you three hours of frustration...

Or you could just take off the visor and cut out a piece of the film to fit it and hot-glue (by the edges) it on the inside. This is working much better for people.

It really doesn't matter if you sand the helmet itself, since it's going to be painted, as long as it's smooth.

Hope it helped!

Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Various rockstars
Unread 07-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
ANNAPO

Mmmmm Thank-you! 8D hopefully things work out

urggg its just that air bubbles are no fun ahh well D:
ANNAPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
emprahbowie
The Emprah

I'm gonna start making this within the next week!

You said you got your suit from that dance site in another post, but which did you use? And how did you have to mod it? I didn't see any that I thought looked celty-esque.
emprahbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

I got my first one from Riversedgedancewear.com, and I used a liquid-leather mock-neck unitard which I turned around backward. Then I had the waist taken in so it would fit my curves better.

My second one (I wanted a bit of a shinier look) was just from Ebay.

Various rockstars

Last edited by Flora88 : 03-06-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Unread 07-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
emprahbowie
The Emprah

Yeah i'm...
my waist is a lot smaller than all of the sizes, too. It's as easy as taking it in? Hmm..
So it works backwards? I never would have thought!
It'll be a lot easier to convince my parents to let me buy a unitard from a dance site rather than a SEXY DOMINATRIX PVC SUIT from ebay <_>
emprahbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Yep! Taking it in is super-easy. Just make sure you reinforce it really well so your new seams don't rip when you stretch itonto your body.

You can also look for a "zentai" suit on Ebay or Milanoo.com (not quite as scary-sounding as the "Sexy dominatrix pvc" thing. lol)

Various rockstars
Unread 07-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
96gurl

So.....lemme make sure I got this straight. ><
I mold, then bake the Sculpey ears and hotglue them onto the helmet. Then, I cover the whole helmet in paperclay (the helmet I have isn't yellow) and sand it so it's even. Then, I paint it and gloss it? @.@ Seems like it takes a loo-oong time...
Also, where do I get paperclay? I couldn't find any in Utrecht... O///O
Thank you so much ></
96gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #10
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Actually, if you want to make it lighter and use less sculpey, you can make little ear-cores out of aluminum foil, then put sculpey over it.

And you can really just put the paperclay over the portions that are raised or grooved (Celty's helmet is VERY smooth) and sand it until it's level with the rest of the helmet.

And, yeah, it takes a while, but it's totally worth it.

Paperclay may not be available in your area, but I'm sure if you ask for some form of self-hardening, sand-able clay, they'll have something you can use.
Another option is Bondo, which is basically a self-hardening, sand-able plastic, and is slightly more expensive, but probably more readily available.

Various rockstars
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:40 AM   #11
YanagiYoruko
Shoogly Peg

Hm, I looked up the dancewear site...
Is this the one you got? http://www.riversedgedancewear.com/lilemoneunbt.html

I'm not sure where the zipper is on that, but I'm assuming it would be in the back? I can't completely tell from the pictures on that site anyways.

So I am assuming you wore it backwards...? Does it actually sit okay/not feel awkward that way...?

Thanks for the helmet tutorial though, I'll definitely follow it

cos plans:
Shingeki no Kyojin
Uta no Prince-sama (maybe)
[C] Money of Soul and Possibility Control (maybe)

Last edited by YanagiYoruko : 07-27-2010 at 04:12 AM.
YanagiYoruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #12
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Yep! That's the one I got. I did wear it backward, and it didn't feel weird to me. But if you try it and it does feel weird to you, it's easy to just put a zipper in the front as well.

Various rockstars
Unread 07-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #13
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Oh, and with any catsuit you get, it'll be necessary to paint your neck black, so no one can see your chin if, say, you wanted to look up for a picture.

Various rockstars
Unread 08-01-2010, 02:14 AM   #14
hartknyx

I've been working on my helmet on and off for about a week now, and this tutorial has been so helpful! Thanks so much for posting your methods.

I don't have an oven available (dorm living yeahhhh) so I omitted the sculpey and created ear cores solely out of aluminum foil. It worked just fine, though I'm a little worried about the ears being fragile - if I dropped the helmet upside down I suspect they'd squish out of shape. NOT going to experiment and try it, haha.

I only covered the ears and used almost all of two packages of paperclay. I also sanded with two different sponges - a medium one and an extra fine one. It made the ears really super smooth, and I love it.

I thought I'd share a few of the things I ran into for those less experienced at working with (paper)clay, like me:

-I found it was pretty easy to sand off a fair amount of clay, so I would advise being generous while molding, especially around corners and edges. A little bit of my tin foil poked through at a couple points, so I covered those bits up with new paperclay and resanded them. It worked just fine.
-Similarly, the first time around when you're smoothing out the paperclay before it dries, remember that lumps are wayyyy easier to sand off than divots.
-When sanding, dust goes EVERYWHERE - on your clothes, in the helmet, and all over my floor >.> Definitely do it with a mask and/or outside.

Between making two sets of ear forms (the shape wasn't right the first time) and molding and sanding the paperclay, it's probably taken me 7 or 8 hours so far, but it's well worth it. I can't wait to paint it yellow!
hartknyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #15
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Yay! I'm glad it's been helpful to you! I'll go ahead and put your advice in the original post.

Various rockstars