Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Pokemon

Unread 07-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
Krethes
It's hammer time

Marowak Skull; where to go from here?

I've been working on two cosplays at once for the upcoming SanJapan:3 and, well, since one of them was more intensive, I've sort of forgotten about poor little Marowak. I know, I should be ashamed of myself.

Regardless, the con's in a week and I'm sort of...stuck. That is to say, I've gotten the skull's base put together. I crafted it out of an old baseball cap and some hanger wire because I was struck with inspiration by the angles of the wire and I like messing with wire cutters. >:3

So, while I've got the base hashed out, I'm not sure how to get it...filled, I think I mean to say. I know I'm going to cover it with paper mache and then paint over it and such, but if I go from where I am now, I fear that it'll look like what it currently is: a baseball cap with hanger wire in certain spots with paper mache on it.

What I'm asking is how to give it body. Should I just restart and get craft foam? If so, could I get it at Hobby Lobby, how do I work with it, and how much does it generally run? I picked the baseball hat idea because it was the solution to the "how to get it to stay on my head" problem. I'd like to not have to start over, so alternative ideas would be fantastic!

For the sake of ease, here is a photo of the base I've made:
http://i47.tinypic.com/2hyvvns.jpg

Thank you!

Unread 07-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
KakeraのTsuki
in Somniō

You can proceed in many of ways from here. Chicken wire, craft foam, expanding foam, upholstery foam, cardstock...

If you want 'body' as in a solid mass, I highly recommend the expanding foam, which you can carve down with knives to get the exact shape you want. After that, you can cover it all in paper mache for a nice finish.

Hope that helps. ^^

Otakuthon: Ashe(League of Legends), Artwork (Nardack illustrations)

Upcoming: Lyndis (Fire Emblem: awakening), Abel (Trinity Blood), Fruit Tart (Sakizo)

KakeraのTsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
Krethes
It's hammer time

Quote:
Originally Posted by KakeraのTsuki View Post
You can proceed in many of ways from here. Chicken wire, craft foam, expanding foam, upholstery foam, cardstock...

If you want 'body' as in a solid mass, I highly recommend the expanding foam, which you can carve down with knives to get the exact shape you want. After that, you can cover it all in paper mache for a nice finish.

Hope that helps. ^^
Chicken wire would probably work the best for me and my, ah, lack of prop-making experience. I do wigs and make-up, but my prop-making-slave is on a cruise.

However, if that doesn't pan out, where would I find expanding foam and would I be able to cover what I have with it, or would I need to start over?
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
heaven_firings

I may be wrong but I think she meant you can fill what you have with expanding foam and then carve to the right shape. That way you get the "body" you're looking for and you still have the hat/wire reinforcement.

BTW I really like what you have already, it's a cool idea.
heaven_firings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
Krethes
It's hammer time

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven_firings View Post
I may be wrong but I think she meant you can fill what you have with expanding foam and then carve to the right shape. That way you get the "body" you're looking for and you still have the hat/wire reinforcement.

BTW I really like what you have already, it's a cool idea.
That makes a lot of sense. xD Like I said, not a prop-maker at all. -wants her minion back- What sort of expanding foam, though? Could I get it at a craft store like Hobby Lobby or would I need to go to a home improvement store like Home Depot or Lowe's?

And thank you~
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
astillar
Cosplay Engineer

If I were you, I'd stay away from chicken wire or expanding foam. Making a headpiece out of wires poses a big chance of you getting poked or scratched. If you really like the chicken wire idea, go to a hobby store (the model trains department). There they'll have a fine wire mesh that is used to shape stuff like miniature mountains. Using this stuff will pose less of a risk of injury to yourself.
If you had more time, I'd be in favor of the expanding foam. But time is short and you're new to that material. It's messy, hard to clean up, and can get out of hand if you use too much, meaning that you'd have to do a lot of shaping and sanding to correct any mistakes.
I think for your time frame and skill level, you should go with the upholstery foam. With just hot glue and razor/scissors you can build up your cap to fill it out and give some support to the paper maché without the wires being so obviously visible underneath.

astillar is offline   Reply With Quote