Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Locations

Unread 07-06-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
Irene

Good place to shoot in the NYC? :D

Idk if this is the right place to put this, but does anyone who live in nyc know a good place to shoot where there aren't alot of ppl that could possibly.. watch? XDD Like, is Central Park good?
Irene is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

Probably the wrong place. But..

Yes there are parks like that. But I wouldn't recommend them at all as 911 won't bring the cops anytime soon. Shooting in public places usually will bring you no problems even if people stop. Don't hit private property as that's a mess. Public/Private property is even questionable. Like when they say "OPEN TO THE PUBLIC" yet they have security guards around. Those parks are private property and the rules are iffy when you see those. Like Bryant Park because its a private/public park is iffy sometimes. You show up with more than a camera and look like you have a crew the security if there will chase you off.

The key to shooting in NYC is do it as EARLY as possible. Make sure before your group goes out to shoot to think of a story or some really fast explanation that's generic enough to get people to move on. People will stop and look and take pictures themselves. You just learn to ignore whats going on.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

The only way to guarantee that you won't be watched is to shoot on private property, but you need permission beforehand.

Central Park has a lot of people during the summer, so you will encounter passersby. They might glance in your direction, but they generally don't hang around too long. There are parts of the park that are less crowded than others, but you will not really have a private shoot.

Bryant Park is a public park. See: http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/bryantpark
Like Central Park, it is also a crowded park during the summer, and there are many events held there, which would prevent you from doing a photoshoot there.

If there is only one person with a camera and a small group of cosplayers (2-3), you should not get questioned by park security. If the group is too large, security officials may think it is a commercial shoot, and that is when you get chased away (because you didn't have a permit).

I was pointed to this link about what photography is allowed in NYC:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/ne..._permits.shtml

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon

Last edited by Eriol : 07-07-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

Maybe a graveyard depending on how you feel about the location.
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
knightmare6
knightmare6.com

Plenty of good places to shoot in NYC! It's just a matter of you willing to have patience to wait for people to pass or if you can ignore spectators.

I've shot plenty of times in Central Park! I like using the Alice In Wonderland statue, the underpass by Bethesda Fountain, Belvedere Castle, the Amphitheatre and Shakespeare Garden.

Early morning you can get some great shots at Lincoln Center, Times Square and Wall Street.

You've got Battery Park in Downtown Manhattan. For Brooklyn, you've got the Brooklyn Promenade and Coney Island. You have the Unisphere in Queens, as well as Socrates Sculpture Park.

Bronx and Staten Island... you're on your own there...

Contact Me For Photo Shoots In NYC
knightmare6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
Dragonrage
The Taco God

I would say central park, sometimes right outside Penn Station at The Garden you can take some pretty interesting shots. You have to remember there is people walking around in costumes and people like the naked cowboy so people really won't bother you.

Rx-78 v2 Gundam Mobile suit Gundam
Shinigami-sama soul eater
Dragonrage is offline   Reply With Quote