Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 07-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Gender swapping the character rather than crossplay...?

I don't think i've seen a thread on this before, but if there is one, i'm very sorry D:

But recently, I've really wanted to cosplay Kamina from Gurren Lagann. Thing is, i'm a girl, and he wears pants and a cape. I don't think theres any form of binding for someone completely topless. And if there is, it probably won't be passable XD;;

So instead of abandoning my dream, i just gender swapped him into a girl. Theres already enough fanart of it out there, so i thought i'd do it. (Fanart: http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/...pe-censored-cl ) My cosplay is still in the works, but i'll post pictures when i'm done. (EDIT: Here's my own fanart of it, more specific to how i'm actually cosplaying it http://roccie.deviantart.com/#/d2vrycp ))

Anyone else have a story like this? Not like, "I thought it'd be funny to genderswap this character so i cosplayed it" but more of "Crossplaying won't work, so time to swap it up." Like, cosplay came first, then you swapped genders. Not the other way around, haha.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!

Last edited by Axelai : 08-07-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

It comes up every once in a while. The general consensus is a lot people aren't crazy about it, but if you put effort into designing and aren't just using as an excuse to be lazy or not bind, go for it.
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_helix View Post
It comes up every once in a while. The general consensus is a lot people aren't crazy about it, but if you put effort into designing and aren't just using as an excuse to be lazy or not bind, go for it.
Well, like my cosplay, i don't think theres any way to cosplay Kamina without looking silly. He wears nothing from the shoulders up XD;; And since female pictures of him are everywhere, it made sense for me to go for that (besides, the female version of him only moves his waist bandages up to his chest, and otherwise its the same costume).

Unread 07-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
sephygoth
Hater lover

I'd say take a look at "dragon"'s crossplay. It's tough enough to fake the chest M->F so when I see a good F->M, I know it.

Shortcut, I guess get some spandex(flesh colored) and airprush it a little. Then for any fine tuned 3D? yeah add a lil foam or padding underneath. Its tough if your a larger cup, but inder that spandex layer chest, you can bind to your hearts delight - or non-delight depending on how TIGHT...whoa it all rhymed too.
sephygoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephygoth View Post
I'd say take a look at "dragon"'s crossplay. It's tough enough to fake the chest M->F so when I see a good F->M, I know it.

Shortcut, I guess get some spandex(flesh colored) and airprush it a little. Then for any fine tuned 3D? yeah add a lil foam or padding underneath. Its tough if your a larger cup, but inder that spandex layer chest, you can bind to your hearts delight - or non-delight depending on how TIGHT...whoa it all rhymed too.
But can you do that in a shirtless cosplay without it looking entirely fake...? Thats what i'm worried about. I don't want to go through all that work, and for me to look really silly. So thats why i'm just swapping the gender (and plus, i've seen a lot of guys at cons not want to take a picture with Kamina because they don't want to look gay, yet its their fave character... so a positive outcome of being female Kamina is they won't look gay XD;; And yes, like, 5 of my friends said that to me x_x;; )

Unread 07-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
BsWN

My friend and I went as a character and his genderswap, we did it because, well she cannot crossplay for her life (sorry, Anna), also we didn't have enough resources, but it worked out. So, we did it that way, so now she's my Fem!Beyond =).
BsWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:06 AM   #7
Noose

I think gender swapping is alright if the folks designing the opposite-gender costume actually have some design sense about them. I have a friend doing Femme Captain Falcon, and that can be amazingly awesome, since her other options would be 50 pounds of foam padding, being adolescent Falcon, or somehow gaining 100 pounds of muscle. She'd have to redesign part of the costume to accommodate boobs and hips, and since she's an artist she can pull it off. Its not like she's making Falcon wear a short skirt or a thong over his pants, so the character is the same. I think, as long as the essence of the character remains, then it doesn't matter what gender they are. But since ours is such a gender-centric society, I guess there's h8ers. Oh well.
Noose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
Ivyna J. Spyder

I'm doing a gender swap of a character. It's a popular joke theory that the guy used to actually BE a woman, so I think it works. :P

As long as you aren't taking a male character who dresses conservatively and turning them into a super slutty female version for pure fanservice, I don't see a problem with it. Not everyone can crossplay convincingly, especially if the character is a big muscular sort of guy and not already an androgynous pretty boy. (Worst I'm doing with mine is wearing a skirt instead of pants, mostly for comfort sake, but it goes past my knees so it still covers plenty.)

Edit: Come to think of it all my cosplays so far have been gender bends... Female gijinka-type designs of originally male characters (Dedede and Meta Knight). Never occurred to me to try to look like a guy!

Last edited by Ivyna J. Spyder : 07-14-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Ivyna J. Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Haha, good thing i'm not the only one who does this right :P

If you've seen the genderswapped Kamina, its SO not slut-ified (though if he were a girl, i wouldn't doubt him being a slut...). It's the exact same outfit, except with girl hair and his waist bandages moved up over his chest (because girls have boobs :P ).

But yeah, i'm not so worried then XD

Unread 07-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #10
msheaven
Pokemon crazy gal!

I think that gender swapping charachters is fine. I would really like to swap link from the legend of zelda and make him female. but not too sure about doing it tbh
msheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #11
pyrodancer

i don't see anything wrong with gender swapping. as long as some effort is put into to it, i think it could turn out really well. i'm sure there are plenty of gender swap cosplaying around, characters from Naruto/Naruto Shippuden probably being the most popular cuz of "sexy no jutsu" ^^
pyrodancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #12
magicalgirlj
maids rule

I do gender bender cosplay all the time. I was female Hijikata from Gintama at Katsucon and female Okita at AMA, I dont know weter I want to do Hijikata or Okita at Anime USA
dream cosplay-Iris an orginal charachter of mine who is a shinigami maid
magicalgirlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #13
Ashe Nyte
Retired tentacle demon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by msheaven View Post
I think that gender swapping charachters is fine. I would really like to swap link from the legend of zelda and make him female. but not too sure about doing it tbh

I think you'd make a rather cute female Link!!!!!^^ I'm planning on gender swapping someone from Zelda too. The ultimate crossplay trap......Sheik lol.
Vincent Valentine from Fina Fantasy 7 50% done

Reality is tempered by what we percieve. How then, are we to know what is real an what is imagined?
Ashe Nyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 01:31 AM   #14
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe Nyte View Post
I think you'd make a rather cute female Link!!!!!^^ I'm planning on gender swapping someone from Zelda too. The ultimate crossplay trap......Sheik lol.
So like... making female!Sheik or Male... or i don't even know what gender Sheik is... XD haha.

Unread 08-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #15
Torgo

I'm planning a genderswapped!J. Jonah Jameson. Because I am a petite female with a roundish face, and he is a paunchy man with facial hair. The male costume is probably doable, but for someone with my (nonexistent) makeup skills, it would end up looking ridiculous and fake.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote