Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 08-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #16
AmyAnn
Noobie in training.

My friends and I are doing a genderbent Ouran High School Host Club this coming October, the main problems being because my friend and I have quite large chests which are a pain to bind and it's something a little different. I love seeing genderbent characters as long as they are recognizable in some form.

Unread 08-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #17
Ashe Nyte
Retired tentacle demon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelai View Post
So like... making female!Sheik or Male... or i don't even know what gender Sheik is... XD haha.

Shiek is Zelda disguising herself as a man. Since I am male, I view this as a crossplay trap lol. Just think of a guy cosplaying as Bridgett from Chrono Cross lol.
Vincent Valentine from Fina Fantasy 7 50% done

Reality is tempered by what we percieve. How then, are we to know what is real an what is imagined?
Ashe Nyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #18
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe Nyte View Post
Shiek is Zelda disguising herself as a man. Since I am male, I view this as a crossplay trap lol. Just think of a guy cosplaying as Bridgett from Chrono Cross lol.
Well, i know Sheik is Zelda as a guy. Which is why i was thinking, how DO you crossplay it XD Since if you're a girl, its right. And if you're a guy, its also right since she's a guy at the time (or not, depending on which side of the long-lasting debate you're on).

And hey, i've seen plenty of male Bridgetts. It feels more accurate to me :'P

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 11:51 PM   #19
GryffinclawHime
H.O.T Co-Founder

Don't worry about it, darlin. If you want to do it, then do it!

I literally can't be a guy unless he wears very baggy clothes cause I have a large chest.
I really wanted to do Shippuden Sasuke but ran into the same problem as you...he doesn't wear a closed shirt.
I was already trying to figure out how to cover my chest when I found the exact same idea I had on DA...a simple strip of black cloth across my boobs. So it's the exact same outfit with long hair and boobs.

I don't like when people take things and completely change them because that's not the character. I understand sometimes if the guy is a manwhore and would be a whore if he were a girl then yeah, take a few layers off or something. But the same design concept and color spectrum should be put into play. They were given those outfits for a reason.

By the way, did you draw that?
If so...you are amazing~<3
GryffinclawHime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 12:24 AM   #20
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by GryffinclawHime View Post
Don't worry about it, darlin. If you want to do it, then do it!

I literally can't be a guy unless he wears very baggy clothes cause I have a large chest.
I really wanted to do Shippuden Sasuke but ran into the same problem as you...he doesn't wear a closed shirt.
I was already trying to figure out how to cover my chest when I found the exact same idea I had on DA...a simple strip of black cloth across my boobs. So it's the exact same outfit with long hair and boobs.

I don't like when people take things and completely change them because that's not the character. I understand sometimes if the guy is a manwhore and would be a whore if he were a girl then yeah, take a few layers off or something. But the same design concept and color spectrum should be put into play. They were given those outfits for a reason.

By the way, did you draw that?
If so...you are amazing~<3
Thanks for the encouragement X3 <3

Yeah, i was thinking of giving Kamina a miniskirt or short shorts instead of the long pants... since if he were a chick, he'd probably be a bit of a slut (since he tries too hard as a guy). But then i decided not to change the costume too much.

And no, i sadly did not draw that. Wish i could draw like that, haha

Unread 08-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #21
sephygoth
Hater lover

playing devils advocate here, but I seem to remember a strong opinion on here advising not to "bastardize a character" to fit crossplay. I support the general idea: I think you can do it without bending. I have some exp in the field, but its time in figuring out how. I say try the original, and if you can't get it to your liking, nothing is lost, in fact its very much already on its way to being finished ^^
sephygoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #22
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephygoth View Post
playing devils advocate here, but I seem to remember a strong opinion on here advising not to "bastardize a character" to fit crossplay. I support the general idea: I think you can do it without bending. I have some exp in the field, but its time in figuring out how. I say try the original, and if you can't get it to your liking, nothing is lost, in fact its very much already on its way to being finished ^^
Well, my genderbend of him is pretty much identical. Just moving his waist bandages up to the chest. Otherwise, its the exact same costume. And for hair, i'm either using the exact same hair or adding a ponytail, whichever in the end looks better.

But the thing is, i CAN'T do it without gender bending. http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8579/kaminav.gif

See? He's completely shirtless. When i cosplay, i try to make my costumes look as... 'real' as possible. Not quite sure how to explain. Like, i don't do anything that people would look at and go "Ohh. I know why they did that instead of this." Wearing a skintone shirt or something falls into that category. Everyone would know it was a shirt. Does Kamina wear a skintone shirt? Nope. So i can't either. And most binding methods for bare chests involve SOME sort of coverage. Which means i'd need to wear his cape 24/7, and well... that would get really hot really fast.

And its a huge peeve of mine seeing people wearing tight shirts with his tattoos printed on them. I saw a girl doing that at last Anime Expo, and i really wish she'd have just gender swapped him. It'd have looked so much better.

So really, if i were, say, crossplaying almost any other character, i'd keep the original. When it gets to the point where they aren't wearing a shirt at all, thats pretty much territory that i can't cosplay it. Gender swapping him really makes it possible for me to cosplay a character i love so much.

Plus, i know of a bunch of guys at cons who love Kamina so much, but don't want to ask for a picture with him for fear of being called gay (my boyfriend, all the guys in my hotel room... for examples). So if i'm female Kamina, they can hit on me all they want and not feel gay. Though, i guess that'd work if i were an obvious girl cosplaying male Kamina too.

And not even getting into the fact that he's get a somewhat muscular body, and i've got a female, baby birthin hips body. I'd never be able to crossplay him passably. Well, and the fact Kamina is all about manly fighting spirit. I'd probably kill the character by being a girl with... womanly fighting spirit.

Sorry for the rant ;-; Just realized how long this post is.

Unread 08-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #23
sephygoth
Hater lover

Quote:
Well, my genderbend of him is pretty much identical. Just moving his waist bandages up to the chest. Otherwise, its the exact same costume. And for hair, i'm either using the exact same hair or adding a ponytail, whichever in the end looks better.

But the thing is, i CAN'T do it without gender bending. http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8579/kaminav.gif

See? He's completely shirtless. When i cosplay, i try to make my costumes look as... 'real' as possible. Not quite sure how to explain. Like, i don't do anything that people would look at and go "Ohh. I know why they did that instead of this." Wearing a skintone shirt or something falls into that category. Everyone would know it was a shirt. Does Kamina wear a skintone shirt? Nope. So i can't either. And most binding methods for bare chests involve SOME sort of coverage. Which means i'd need to wear his cape 24/7, and well... that would get really hot really fast.

And its a huge peeve of mine seeing people wearing tight shirts with his tattoos printed on them. I saw a girl doing that at last Anime Expo, and i really wish she'd have just gender swapped him. It'd have looked so much better.

So really, if i were, say, crossplaying almost any other character, i'd keep the original. When it gets to the point where they aren't wearing a shirt at all, thats pretty much territory that i can't cosplay it. Gender swapping him really makes it possible for me to cosplay a character i love so much.

Plus, i know of a bunch of guys at cons who love Kamina so much, but don't want to ask for a picture with him for fear of being called gay (my boyfriend, all the guys in my hotel room... for examples). So if i'm female Kamina, they can hit on me all they want and not feel gay. Though, i guess that'd work if i were an obvious girl cosplaying male Kamina too.

And not even getting into the fact that he's get a somewhat muscular body, and i've got a female, baby birthin hips body. I'd never be able to crossplay him passably. Well, and the fact Kamina is all about manly fighting spirit. I'd probably kill the character by being a girl with... womanly fighting spirit.

Sorry for the rant ;-; Just realized how long this post is.
whoa! easy betsy! down boy!
no its cool, I meant with the rest of the cosplay, just do normal. the shirtless?
"Dragon" crossplays are good, dam good. You very much could, ...not bug her for trade secrets... but learn from her ways. I think she made good moves to do what she did.
I've helps with this before, but it's not EXACLY my realm and the solution a little complicated, like your situation.
So how bout that silicon wrap idea?(another thread XD) you can bind, but no one would see if you make a thin "flap" to wrap around and spirit gum to your body. Making a mold for that is as-easy-as laying out a bunch of plastic wrap on the floor with some raised edges that match a "barrel/cone" of your measurements(from waist to armpits, plus a little to reach the neck. The cast? It's a flexible sheet. (Resources are out there for latex/silicone producte even though I use some different stuff for going in your opposite direction)mixing some cheap chemicals and pouring it onto the impression you left on the floor gives a sheet. CUT THAT SHEET OUT! XD and curve it around so that it connects in the back.

Paint it and spirit gum that to yourself. Latex the edges. Main edge being the back, but there might be where you need help, easy help. Makeup (at least in the back over the latex seal) over the latex area, obviously tuck the thing into the waist wrap he has. Like I said, any binding would be done before this and obviously hidden.
smells of tutorial >.>
The other way, sure body suit. Sure! not a bad way. But I wouldn't mention it without owning up to more advise: use latex paint, it's darker cured than when in bottle, but I got a bottle of blue that did not work out(too dark) and white latex is really "clear". Mixing KINDA worked, but not reliable. my point? you can paint that on the bodysuit just fine for the tatoos, which can act as connectors to hide seams in the bodysuit where other ideas for decal might fail, this might kill 2 in one.

I would just to see extreme crossplay happen, makes my day and my life appearantly XD
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #24
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
whoa! easy betsy! down boy!
I wasn't mad XD I was just explaining myself. And i do believe the correct term is "down girl", since i AM doing the female version... (hahaha)

Quote:
no its cool, I meant with the rest of the cosplay, just do normal. the shirtless?
"Dragon" crossplays are good, dam good. You very much could, ...not bug her for trade secrets... but learn from her ways. I think she made good moves to do what she did.
I've helps with this before, but it's not EXACLY my realm and the solution a little complicated, like your situation.
So how bout that silicon wrap idea?(another thread XD) you can bind, but no one would see if you make a thin "flap" to wrap around and spirit gum to your body. Making a mold for that is as-easy-as laying out a bunch of plastic wrap on the floor with some raised edges that match a "barrel/cone" of your measurements(from waist to armpits, plus a little to reach the neck. The cast? It's a flexible sheet. (Resources are out there for latex/silicone producte even though I use some different stuff for going in your opposite direction)mixing some cheap chemicals and pouring it onto the impression you left on the floor gives a sheet. CUT THAT SHEET OUT! XD and curve it around so that it connects in the back.

Paint it and spirit gum that to yourself. Latex the edges. Main edge being the back, but there might be where you need help, easy help. Makeup (at least in the back over the latex seal) over the latex area, obviously tuck the thing into the waist wrap he has. Like I said, any binding would be done before this and obviously hidden.
smells of tutorial >.>
The other way, sure body suit. Sure! not a bad way. But I wouldn't mention it without owning up to more advise: use latex paint, it's darker cured than when in bottle, but I got a bottle of blue that did not work out(too dark) and white latex is really "clear". Mixing KINDA worked, but not reliable. my point? you can paint that on the bodysuit just fine for the tatoos, which can act as connectors to hide seams in the bodysuit where other ideas for decal might fail, this might kill 2 in one.

I would just to see extreme crossplay happen, makes my day and my life appearantly XD
Well... considering i'm a starving college student with little talent for anything in that realm, i know i'd screw it up completely if i tried anything drastic. And i really don't like body suits... all those solutions just feel so fake to me, you know? Kamina is such a simple costume. Doing all that makes it insane @w@ I'm having enough trouble making his cape. I don't have the time and resources to make myself a manly chest mold. Plus, i have such an obviously female body (yay giant hips), a female version of the costume just... works for me, you know? If i could pull it off, i'd really try being male Kamina. But i know i can't do it.

And i know Kamina would tell me to believe in myself and i can do it... XD;; But i know this is something out of my reach. It just makes sense to do the female version. Move the bandages up over the chest, and it's done.

Unread 08-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #25
sephygoth
Hater lover

Quote:
I wasn't mad XD I was just explaining myself. And i do believe the correct term is "down girl", since i AM doing the female version... (hahaha)
ok, well I tried ^^
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #26
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
ok, well I tried ^^
Thanks anyways though! I hope you didn't get the impression that i'm against crossplaying or something. I'm not. I'm crossplayed as Jack Spicer from Xiaolin Showdown, and as Axel from Kingdom Hearts. But both are covered enough in the chest area, hahaha

Unread 04-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #27
Mangaddict409

I'm noticing a lot of negativity towards the whole sexualizing them idea, yet at cons women are praised for pulling off slutty female costumes. As well as the sudden surge of gender swapped super heroes, including a sexy Etzio costume. So why can't I sexualize the men I think are sexy, even if it is by gender swapping them. I'm not saying making things skimpy just to look good is completely right, but we can't deny anime's way of over sexualizing the female gender. Now I may sound like a hipster but I feel Axelai's frustration.

I personally came to this thread to see what people would think of a female sanouske from Kenshin. I am in the similar predicament of having a shirtless character I would like to cosplay as but having boobs. Now short of going bare breasted and making quite a statement, I thought it might be cute to wear a bandage dress under the coat. Truth be told even if you are offended by my audacity to drastically change such an awesome characters costume I might still do it, but what I really want is feedback. My other thought was a cute white tube top and shorts or a skirt.

Either way I am very excited for my "mustang in a miniskirt" cosplay and have become obsessed with gender swap, because everyone should be able to cosplay who they want, regardless of breast size.
Mangaddict409 is offline   Reply With Quote