Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Locations

Unread 07-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
ellensama
Ninja

In Need Of Locations For Los Angeles Shoot

I'm helping a friend plan out a photo shoot for a cosplay group. We are looking for grungy urban to go with a supernatural mild horror theme. I need location recommendations that are ok for a group of maybe around 10 to 12. Please don't recommend any that could lead us into getting into trouble with the police or such. It can also be just outside of LA too but mostly looking for with in the city its self.
ellensama is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

Parking garages are good.

Downtown LA area tends to be sorta dangerous; not from gangs, but there are bums and/or crazies. The only safe areas I can think of are safe because of security guards and security guards probably don't want you shooting pictures.

Try Santa Monica. Lots of urban-looking alleys branching off the promenade area that are pretty safe. Tourists will be around but I don't think anyone would give you trouble for shooting around there. Also consider downtown Long Beach and Beverly Hills. I've shot at all three of those locations and it worked out well.

Old Town Pasadena might work. College campuses tend to be good for shooting, but it might not be quite the look you're wanting. I've shot at UCLA like a billion times and CSULB once and never had any problems.
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
Jim3535

In grungy parts of LA, the cops aren't the people I'd be worried about. If you do try this, I would try to bring a bunch of people and be ready to GTFO fast; just in case.

If you're willing to to go OC, there is a cool location that we did a strobist shoot at 2 years ago. Flickr Thread; map; photos. There is a bunch of graffiti just past the tunnel.
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
lexy-chan

If you can actually get in (which I'm sure you can after a while), try in Long Beach where they have the wharf/port. You can probably get into those warehouses and loading docks without being noticed. It's very machine-orientated, but at dark I can imagine it's scary as hell.

Upcoming Conventions/Events:
Hyper Japan 2012 . Anime Los Angeles 2013 . Sakura-con 2013 . Nor-cal Spring Gathering
lexy-chan is offline   Reply With Quote