Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Introductions

Unread 07-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
kiyohtan
COS★SUKI

[Wanted] Online Cosplay "Tutor"?

Hello! I'm new to Cosplay.com, but I hope I can make some really nice friends here and get the help I need to become a better cosplayer~ :3

If I posted this thread in the wrong section, I'm really sorry! DX Please move it to the correct area if that is the case. Anyway, I'm looking for someone who might be willing to be a sort of "Cosplay Tutor"?

A little bit about me, I've been cosplaying casually for about a year, but I've only bought pre-styled wigs, costumes, etc. I'm really interested in learning how to do things myself now, but neither of my parents know much about sewing and I don't have any cosplay friends in the area >3< I can't attend any of the basic sewing classes at my nearby community colleges due to my work schedule and I'm really shy in person, so I'm trying to avoid drop-in sewing centers for lessons, etc.

I'm looking for someone who:
- Currently makes their own costumes or has a lot of sewing experience
- Can walk me through specifically where to alter patterns, which pieces should be sewn first, etc.
- Has a good amount of free time and can communicate often by email

It's almost like one of those "Master and Student" thingies that some MMO's have lol, where a high-level player kind of "adopts" a newbie and teaches them the ropes? xD I know this is a lot to ask, and it's kind of a strange proposition, but I think I'd be able to learn easily this way; being able to get specific help and ask specific questions - might as well try asking once! xD;;

Anyway, for anyone who's interested or have any questions, please PM me or post in this thread and I'll get back to you ASAP :3 (And sorry for the long post, I hope I didn't ramble DX) Hoping I can find someone who would be willing to help in their spare time for free, but I'm also considering monetary payment depending on my situation xD;;

Thanks~
kiyohtan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Teaching is difficult and complex. Consider what you have to offer that would make the prospect of investing a lot of time and effort in you more worthwhile.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
Lycorisa

Everyone can be a mentor..I think the better idea would be just ask for help when you need it. You can post on the forum anytime when you need help. That mentor that you might get might not know what to do at times. So I think it's best if you need help just post on forums.
I agree with Mangochutney teaching is a hard thing especially online.
Lycorisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
avskull
Seattle, WA cosplayer

costuming is so complex and the materials are expensive. are you willing to put up with all the demands a teacher would put on you. Its not like your going to intent on dropping out but just realize you cant just have someone cuddle you if you want to really learn and be better at making costuming.
Unread 07-12-2010, 02:30 AM   #5
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

My advice is talking to your employer to see if they will be willing to change your schedule to allow you attend classes. You don't have to say it's for sewing. Just say that you are thinking about attending some classes at the community college to improve your marketable skills and most employers will work with you, if not help you pay for it.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
fev
swirls while I swirl.

Choose a project. search around for tutorials that are around. try em. fail (often, because its GOING to happen, especially as a newbie), take what you've learned, hit up the sewing forums with questions that are NOT "i want to make xx, gimme patterns/tips", lest you relieve "no" and "be more specific" in response. Try the suggestions. THEN ask for a mentor, showing them that you at least have the drive to learn. By the time you get that far, you'll realize that its not as hard as you think, and you won't need someone to hold your hand.

Community colleges charge you, and sewing centers sometimes charge, sometimes not, (and doing it free tends to be an opportunity for them to sell you their products).

With the requirements that you're asking for (wanting someone to hold your hand completely, which doesn't really help you truly LEARN for future projects), monetary compensation should be something you'd -offer-, not "think about". Something more than offering them a "warm fuzzy". Remember that you're wanting someone else to give up -their- valuable time for you.

[size="1"]
| Facebook | Prop blog | Prop site

Last edited by fev : 07-12-2010 at 10:35 AM.
fev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:40 PM   #7
Altianna
Crazy Cat Lady

Yeah, Fev is right about the trial and error method. That's pretty much how I learned to sew entirely on my own (my family doesn't know sewing either ><). I googled "___ pattern" for whatever I thought I might want to make, and gradually learned the basic generic patterns for most items. From there, I was able to tackle progressively more complicated items and start to make my own patterns. Now, I look at a costume and I just SEE patterns, and can generally figure out what to do by looking at the item. My latest learning experience was pants. THat was...fun ><

Anywhoo, overall I suppose the interwebs is your best friend! You'd be amazed what freebie patterns you can find online, tutorials, etc. Most are very good, and free too! =3

Gir (Footie Pyjama Version) 2%: Planning
Lt. Riza Hawkeye - Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood 65% complete (planning stage)
To be debuted at Otakuthon 2010: Montreal and Anime North 2011
Altianna is offline   Reply With Quote