Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:24 AM   #1
Kasinator
Not quite human

READ ALL STICKIES FIRST!! general sticky post (will be updated)

OK I'm pretty bored today, so I am going to put my time to use by making this post be the unofficial sticky to this thread. This post will be edited whenever changes are needed and all anyone will have to do to find it is click the link on my signature.

So you would like to lose weight but do not know where to begin? We here at losing weight and cosplay board are here to help! Our goal is to help you achieve the body you want for your cosplay, and to help you live a healthier lifestyle doing so.

When I first came to this board I was Overweight and in the worst shape of my life. But with the help of this board I was motivated and educated as to how to loose my weight and gain muscle. I along with some other key figures are happy to answer any questions not answered on this post at its current time. When the questions are answered I will post them here.

If the post becomes too long to hold any other information, I will set up another sticky post. Lets begin.

Basics

If you are significantly overweight, It is highly recommended to first diet before any intense exercises. everyday activities Such as long walks and other lighter forms of exercise are acceptable to do. putting your body through too much intense stuff can only lead to injury in your current condition. For dieting information see the below section on dieting.

If you are in average shape, and only wish too loose some weight, and do not need to worry about getting a specific look. Going through exercise should be enough to loose the pounds ( or kilos depending on your location ). For information on exercise, see the below section on exercise.

If you are really going all out on looks and shape diet and exercise are the best way to get the results in as little time as possible. Read on both sections diet and exercise and the body specific section for more information.

Dieting
Some basic rules to keep in mind:
1. Keep it low never no- Studies show that food is good for you (hopefully you knew that :P). But people often get the wrong idea on dieting, people think your only options are to completely remove a certain food group, or starve yourself. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. The reality is your body needs a variety of foods to keep the body healthy. The popular rule of thumb is to keep high protein and vegetable consumption, and a low fruit and carbohydrate level. Never cut off a food group entirely even some fats are important for the body. olive oil is a good example. You should have at least one tablespoon of olive oil a day, instead of something like butter or lard or bacon grease.

2. Instead of eating three large meals a day, eat six small meals a day. -
This will boost your metabolism better then eating three meals a day. Why? Your body will constantly keep digesting food. It will learn to digest faster, and from there boost you metabolic rate.

3. If you feel hungry eat! - Wait, WHAT?!
Hold on lemme exp-
"HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO LOOSE WEIGHT IF YOU WANT ME TO KEEP EATING!?"
I am trying to tell-
" I MEAN I CAN ONLY GAIN WEIGHT IF I KEEP EATING RIGHT?!"
Well yes, but-
"AHA!!! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT! I BET-"

OK WOULD YOU GIVE ME A SECOND TO EXPLAIN!?!?!

"...."

Thank you. Sheesh. I mentioned earlier that its important not to starve yourself, because its unhealthy for the body. In some cases people will get hungry for one of two reasons:
1. Their metabolism has speed up
2. They have a higher activity level then some do
3. They are unknowingly under eating

When I was first dieting, I made this very mistake. Since I was also exercising, not only was I unknowingly under eating (I miscalculated my calories ), but my metabolism was skyrocketing. Because of this I was borderline underweight. One day I was doing push ups, and then injured my wrist. This was all because I didn't eat enough. I wasn't anorexic or anything, I Just wanted to follow the program to the letter, and I didn't know I had miscalculated my calories at the time. I would really hate to have anyone get hurt making the same stupid mistake I did.

4. Drink your water. Nothing bad in that stuff. Unless its laced with something I guess.

Here are some resources for dieting, Just PM me if you find any more or ones that have worked for you.

Dieting links:

Michi's Ladder

www.scoobysworkshop.com

www.Bodybuilding.com

Exercise

Here are some general rules to exercise:

1. Always Warm up before exercising. Always.

2. Exercise at least 30 minutes a day switching between resistance (weightlifting, pushups, that kinda stuff) and cardio (running, jumping rope etc.) every other day. never do three days in a row of the same thing. If you did pushups every day, you may get stronger, but your body will not show these results, not only that but your body will need time to recover.

3. Cardio will get you your flat belly, not situps alone. ( now you know )

4. There is no such thing as spot target fat loss. In order to loose fat in one spot, you still need to work out your entire body. It does not matter where it is, or how "fit" the rest of your body appears, YOU HAVE TO WORK THE ENTIRE BODY TO GET RESULTS. Can you tell we get this question A LOT??????

5. On the seventh day of workout, rest or stretch. This is for recovery of both cardio and resistance exercise.

6. It doesn't matter if you are a boy or a girl, do both resistance and cardio.

Girl: "NOOOO!!!! I DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE A MUSCULAR FREAK!!!!'

I never said that you wou-

Girl: "DON'T LIE TO ME MISTER. IF I LIFT WEIGHTS, I'LL GET MUSCLE RIGHT?"

yes but you want to get-

Girl: "NO I DON'T!!!! >:C I WANT A FLAT BELLY NOT A SIX PACK AND, AND, BICEPS AND SHOULDER MUSCLES, AND, AND, AN-"

Seriously let me finish here!!! OK. This is one of the most common things we have to explain to everyone here. I promise you girls if you lift weights and eat properly, that won't happen. Let me elaborate.

The best way to burn fat is resistance exercises. Why? Muscle growth burns fat. this is from the lactic acid you build up over time. Now I can pretty much guarantee you will not get that six pack or coconut shaped shoulder or whatever over the top muscles you are thinking about. why?

First and foremost, these muscles take time to get. I am still trying to get some of them, and I've been at this for over half a year. the second reason is how much you eat.

Let me ask you a question. What happens when you eat more? You get bigger right? when exercising that food stops going to just your belly, and starts to go to arms, legs, and where ever else. Guys eat more to get the muscles they want. That's because they have a higher body weight in proportionate height to that of a girl's.

Girl: "So your saying that if I don't eat as much, I wont have big muscles?"

Yes in fact you will get a more toned shape that way. and you skin will be tighter and more youthful. Just be sure to do more lifting than the boys.

Girl: "Wait, what? Now I'm lost again."

That's ok I'll just explain things again. Which person will loose more weight? the person who runs one mile, or the one who runs two?

Girl: "That's easy the person who runs two."

Right. Remember how I said earlier how muscle burns fat?

Girl: "Yes."

Well the more reps you do, the more toned your body gets.

Girl: "Oh now I get it! Because that lactic acid stuff you were talking about burns more fat and other stuff right?"

Yep.

Girl: "so how do I know If I am doing enough reps?"

For girls and guys I recommend 8-15 reps. For muscle size, you want to struggle with less reps. It should be hard for you to get those 8 reps.

Girl: "How do I know if I am lifting the right weight?"

You should pick a weight that is heavy enough to just make 8 reps. that way you can work up to 15 reps.

Girl: "Thanks, sorry for yelling. \(^.^)_

Its Ok.

Alright here are some links for workout resources. PM me if you know any more links.

www.Bodybuilding.com

www.muscleandstrength.com

www.scoobysworkshop.com

www.muscleandfitnesstrainer.com

I'll post more in the future please comment and critique in the meantime.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD

Last edited by Kasinator : 08-07-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
HaoChan

Lol, this is informative and at the same time entertaining. You also added links, so yeah nice job. lol
HaoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
infinitydragon
high caffeene content

A good site you might want to add is:
http://www.stumptuous.com/
Her stuff is really good, especialy for women, and especialy becuase it doens't go throught he usual bullshit women get told over weight lifting and loosing weight.
Utsuho Reiuzi (Touhou Project)

Cons:
London Expo May 2010
J-Culture Con 2010

infinitydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
nataliec

Wow very informative. It's really great to share this kind of info because not everyone realizes the proper ways to lose weight.
nataliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
DavinDaLilAzn

www.sparkpeople.com is another site that my friends have used to help them lose weight.

I'm Asian, so I have some ginetics, but I eat healthy and workout 3-4 times a week. I also get a lot of cardio at work...
DavinDaLilAzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
distantarray

Hey Kas just a heads up on your links on the sticky it says bodybulging.com...... you tryin to show off your... bulge? :P
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
Kasinator
Not quite human

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantarray View Post
Hey Kas just a heads up on your links on the sticky it says bodybulging.com...... you tryin to show off your... bulge? :P
LOL thanks for the heads up.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
aquara00
help me im lazy!

....hi.. question.. i have around two months untill con (NYAF) and im trying to loose weight around my thighs, hips and well my beer belly *frown*. i am seriously considdering the atkins diet, which is a strict no carbs diet and high protien, and im no opposed to meat (in fact i love it). How much weight do you think i will loose if i do this along with light exercise (long brisk walks, crunches, weight/pilaties machines ect.)Do you think this is a good idea? I'm not trying to cut corrners or anything but i don't have much time left untill i really have to choose something to do...So waht are your thoughts?
(oh and aside from my midsection to thigh area im rather muscular due to a year of feild hockey(out due to injury), so i really dont have any fat to burn around my ribs and calfs)
Dave Strider alpha (finished)
Hetalia UK normal ver. (nope only wig)
Hetalia Pirate ver. (I wish)
aquara00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
Yukikittie

Thank you so much! This thread is a big help!
I'm 5"5 and 145 pounds.....I want to loose twenty pounds, but it's really hard because I'm hungry ALL THE TIME. It's like, if I eat a full meal, after two hours I'll be really hungry again! It's so weird. My Mom says it's just being a teenager, since apparently we're growing so much we go through food like crazies.
About five times a week I walk a mile to two every morning. I heard walking helps put off the pounds. But, I'm gaining MORE weight, and I'm not even eating more! (I'm eating healthier too. D:<)
I should do cardio too. I've recently been thinking of going to a fat camp, wherever one is, because I really need to learn to have a better lifestyle, and eat better foods. (I'm really picky.)
Unread 07-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
Kobocha
A Proud Catboy Fangirl

Wah~ *_*
Thanks so much for posting this!! Very helpful and greatly entertaining~
You are awesome! ^w^ b
Kobocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
Agate86
U.B.C.S. Enthusiast! :P

Very informative, helps towards my goals of getting fit! thanks a million!
Agate86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
Raven2364

Thanks for posting this, I have been trying to lose weight all by myself in my household, and it is getting to be a real hassle. But now that I know more about what I can do for myself, I think I should be okay. THANK YOU *GLOMP*
Raven2364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #13
DezzyDiamond
DezzyDiamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquara00 View Post
....hi.. question.. i have around two months untill con (NYAF) and im trying to loose weight around my thighs, hips and well my beer belly *frown*. i am seriously considdering the atkins diet, which is a strict no carbs diet and high protien, and im no opposed to meat (in fact i love it). How much weight do you think i will loose if i do this along with light exercise (long brisk walks, crunches, weight/pilaties machines ect.)Do you think this is a good idea? I'm not trying to cut corrners or anything but i don't have much time left untill i really have to choose something to do...So waht are your thoughts?
(oh and aside from my midsection to thigh area im rather muscular due to a year of feild hockey(out due to injury), so i really dont have any fat to burn around my ribs and calfs)
First off Atkins isn't the best option the body needs carbs since thats fuel sorce for the body. I lost 8 pounds in two months just dieting alone (128-120 and im five feet tall) but cutting out my portions. Instead on a whole large box of pizza, i ate 2 - 4 (600-1200 calories) until my stomach got used to it. I drank silk light soy milk verses whole milk. I mainly substitued things in my diet with other food choices and reduced my portions. And since you drink (assuming from beer belly comment so if im wrong correct me please), drink lower calorie beers or try to stop drinking
And Thighs, hips, and belly are probelem areas that take time. Swimming is a great work out that can really slim it down. You can do cruches in the water and water aroebics and it should hepl and be fun at the same time!
DezzyDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote