OK I'm pretty bored today, so I am going to put my time to use by making this post be the unofficial sticky to this thread. This post will be edited whenever changes are needed and all anyone will have to do to find it is click the link on my signature.
So you would like to lose weight but do not know where to begin? We here at losing weight and cosplay board are here to help! Our goal is to help you achieve the body you want for your cosplay, and to help you live a healthier lifestyle doing so.
When I first came to this board I was Overweight and in the worst shape of my life. But with the help of this board I was motivated and educated as to how to loose my weight and gain muscle. I along with some other key figures are happy to answer any questions not answered on this post at its current time. When the questions are answered I will post them here.
If the post becomes too long to hold any other information, I will set up another sticky post. Lets begin.
If you are significantly overweight, It is highly recommended to first diet before any intense exercises. everyday activities Such as long walks and other lighter forms of exercise are acceptable to do. putting your body through too much intense stuff can only lead to injury in your current condition. For dieting information see the below section on dieting.
If you are in average shape, and only wish too loose some weight, and do not need to worry about getting a specific look. Going through exercise should be enough to loose the pounds ( or kilos depending on your location ). For information on exercise, see the below section on exercise.
If you are really going all out on looks and shape diet and exercise are the best way to get the results in as little time as possible. Read on both sections diet and exercise and the body specific section for more information.
Some basic rules to keep in mind:
1. Keep it low never no- Studies show that food is good for you (hopefully you knew that :P). But people often get the wrong idea on dieting, people think your only options are to completely remove a certain food group, or starve yourself. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. The reality is your body needs a variety of foods to keep the body healthy. The popular rule of thumb is to keep high protein and vegetable consumption, and a low fruit and carbohydrate level. Never cut off a food group entirely even some fats are important for the body. olive oil is a good example. You should have at least one tablespoon of olive oil a day, instead of something like butter or lard or bacon grease.
2. Instead of eating three large meals a day, eat six small meals a day. -
This will boost your metabolism better then eating three meals a day. Why? Your body will constantly keep digesting food. It will learn to digest faster, and from there boost you metabolic rate.
3. If you feel hungry eat! - Wait, WHAT?!
Hold on lemme exp-
"HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO LOOSE WEIGHT IF YOU WANT ME TO KEEP EATING!?"
I am trying to tell-
" I MEAN I CAN ONLY GAIN WEIGHT IF I KEEP EATING RIGHT?!"
Well yes, but-
"AHA!!! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT! I BET-"
OK WOULD YOU GIVE ME A SECOND TO EXPLAIN!?!?!
Thank you. Sheesh. I mentioned earlier that its important not to starve yourself, because its unhealthy for the body. In some cases people will get hungry for one of two reasons:
1. Their metabolism has speed up
2. They have a higher activity level then some do
3. They are unknowingly under eating
When I was first dieting, I made this very mistake. Since I was also exercising, not only was I unknowingly under eating (I miscalculated my calories ), but my metabolism was skyrocketing. Because of this I was borderline underweight. One day I was doing push ups, and then injured my wrist. This was all because I didn't eat enough. I wasn't anorexic or anything, I Just wanted to follow the program to the letter, and I didn't know I had miscalculated my calories at the time. I would really hate to have anyone get hurt making the same stupid mistake I did.
4. Drink your water. Nothing bad in that stuff. Unless its laced with something I guess.
Here are some resources for dieting, Just PM me if you find any more or ones that have worked for you.
Here are some general rules to exercise:
1. Always Warm up before exercising. Always.
2. Exercise at least 30 minutes a day switching between resistance (weightlifting, pushups, that kinda stuff) and cardio (running, jumping rope etc.) every other day. never do three days in a row of the same thing. If you did pushups every day, you may get stronger, but your body will not show these results, not only that but your body will need time to recover.
3. Cardio will get you your flat belly, not situps alone. ( now you know )
4. There is no such thing as spot target fat loss. In order to loose fat in one spot, you still need to work out your entire body. It does not matter where it is, or how "fit" the rest of your body appears, YOU HAVE TO WORK THE ENTIRE BODY TO GET RESULTS. Can you tell we get this question A LOT??????
5. On the seventh day of workout, rest or stretch. This is for recovery of both cardio and resistance exercise.
6. It doesn't matter if you are a boy or a girl, do both resistance and cardio.
Girl: "NOOOO!!!! I DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE A MUSCULAR FREAK!!!!'
I never said that you wou-
Girl: "DON'T LIE TO ME MISTER. IF I LIFT WEIGHTS, I'LL GET MUSCLE RIGHT?"
yes but you want to get-
Girl: "NO I DON'T!!!! >:C I WANT A FLAT BELLY NOT A SIX PACK AND, AND, BICEPS AND SHOULDER MUSCLES, AND, AND, AN-"
Seriously let me finish here!!! OK. This is one of the most common things we have to explain to everyone here. I promise you girls if you lift weights and eat properly, that won't happen. Let me elaborate.
The best way to burn fat is resistance exercises. Why? Muscle growth burns fat. this is from the lactic acid you build up over time. Now I can pretty much guarantee you will not get that six pack or coconut shaped shoulder or whatever over the top muscles you are thinking about. why?
First and foremost, these muscles take time to get. I am still trying to get some of them, and I've been at this for over half a year. the second reason is how much you eat.
Let me ask you a question. What happens when you eat more? You get bigger right? when exercising that food stops going to just your belly, and starts to go to arms, legs, and where ever else. Guys eat more to get the muscles they want. That's because they have a higher body weight in proportionate height to that of a girl's.
Girl: "So your saying that if I don't eat as much, I wont have big muscles?"
Yes in fact you will get a more toned shape that way. and you skin will be tighter and more youthful. Just be sure to do more lifting than the boys.
Girl: "Wait, what? Now I'm lost again."
That's ok I'll just explain things again. Which person will loose more weight? the person who runs one mile, or the one who runs two?
Girl: "That's easy the person who runs two."
Right. Remember how I said earlier how muscle burns fat?
Well the more reps you do, the more toned your body gets.
Girl: "Oh now I get it! Because that lactic acid stuff you were talking about burns more fat and other stuff right?"
Girl: "so how do I know If I am doing enough reps?"
For girls and guys I recommend 8-15 reps. For muscle size, you want to struggle with less reps. It should be hard for you to get those 8 reps.
Girl: "How do I know if I am lifting the right weight?"
You should pick a weight that is heavy enough to just make 8 reps. that way you can work up to 15 reps.
Girl: "Thanks, sorry for yelling. \(^.^)_
Alright here are some links for workout resources. PM me if you know any more links.
I'll post more in the future please comment and critique in the meantime.