Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 11-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
Emi Hana
Kimono - Kimono - Kimono

Question "Manly" Exercises?

WARNING: I am not, in any way, claiming to be sexist about losing weight. Yes, men and women lose weight differently, but American Society does have sexist attitudes about the way men and women lose weight. If this topic offends you, I am sorry.

Yesterday I forgo the gym to celebrate Veterans Day with my family - my dad was in Vietnam. We ended up at a Mexican Restaurant where my brother let it slip that his girlfriend has not-so-subtly mentioned that he needs to lose weight. She gave him a Fit-Bit.

I invited him to join me in my Zumba Class - which happened today - but he had a huge problem with that. He thinks all he needs to do is lift weights and tone muscles. I also got the impression he thinks that Zumba and other Cardio Classes are mostly female-based, while serious weightlifting is seen as more manly.

So, when the Spring Semester at my local community college comes around, I will probably pay for a program that allows use of the gym, pool, and all the exercise classes at the same time. It's expensive, but I realize that I need to keep going if I want to reach my goal.

I know that there are more exercise classes just then Zumba being offered, but the question is, if he needs to lose weight like he's being told, he probably won't do a Cardio Class because it's "feminine."

The college's other exercise classes include Spinning, kickboxing, 30 Minute Workout, "Boot Camp" workout classes, etc. So I know there has to be a "manly" class he'll want to take The question is, how do tell him he just can't use weights and do something Cardio without the "manly" and "feminine" stereotype adding to the problem?

Unread 11-12-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
belligerent
Viking Metal

He can just lift weights and do cardio, though. If running is good enough for the Marines...

Crossfit is popular with dudes. Swimming is also a good exercise and plenty of dudes do that? group exercise classes are in general something I hate, so it's probably less that they're feminine and that he feels self conscious exercising with other people. A solo routine will probably be better for him if this is the case.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, England, Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo, Prussia, Shintaro Midorima, Aragorn
Dudes I will be eventually: Guts, Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2016, 09:23 PM   #3
Yog0

Go with HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training, google some workout ideas). That should be manly enough for him and burn calories pretty fast.
Yog0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2016, 01:15 AM   #4
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

best excersize ever, is climbing trees, though its better fit for kids
or people who've never stoped

imo, if your gona pay for a class, you should get some greater benefit
than loosing a few inches,
martial arts is good, its cardio, and you get a skill from it

"shovel glove" or "earth gym" are good solo activities
shovel glove is more, mimicing the action of using tools (with the tool or weighted stick)
ie; chop wood, dig hole, busting rocks

earth gym is using the envionment for your workout equip
ie, chin ups in a tree, toss rocks, roll log/boulder

use a metal tine leaf rake and rake up some of the dead grass out of the lawn
(2-3 hours of cardio, and makes the lawn grow better)

or if you got kids, or nieces/nephews that your kinda close to
just get out and play games or go sledding with them
keeping up with kids burns crap tons of calories
and makes you a better person

also its good for learning patience, problemsolving, people skills,
and can be an excuse to pick up a new skill or persue a hobby
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #5
Blood_Sword
aka Shiro Samurai

I know I'm one of those people who feel awkward and self-conscious during group exercises, maybe he does too? But yeah, I'd want to mention that if he's into martial arts then that's a good form of exercise too and definitely manly enough to not shatter his own image of manliness. Karate, judo etc is worth to check out if he's interested in that sort of exercise and hey, it builds your mental strength as well!
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
Sokar

Most guys aren't going to want to do zumba. Cardio wise most of my male clientele really likes the kickboxing, hitting the pads etc. It does translate well in regards to self defense and a great stress reducer. As for him just lifting and traditional cardio, nothing wrong with that. I get in those modes, I'm slightly more cardio motivated right now due to training for a spartan race. But I'd say 80% of the time I'm just lifting. Sometimes heavy, sometimes medium with no rest...built in cardio. Nothing sexist about any of it, just more personal preference.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2016, 05:54 PM   #7
Frack1337

I do not mean to offend anyone but you have some valid points. Let me draw the fine line. Certain types of classes tend to be looked down upon as typically female, and males generally do not do them. Zumba I personally would see as one. That being said, all my friends and I enjoyed yoga throughly and that was almost 99% female. So there is a notion of what is girly or manly, but it is changely slowly mainly due to the positive health effects we see from these activites.

I was a bodybuilder, at one point pretty massive. Imagine me pretty inflexible in a yoga class. Pretty funny. I would argue two things. One, cardio is necessary. I got bloated gut wise because I never did cardio and only hit weights and "manly" things****. This is important.
Secondly, I would argue you need to sit down and talk with him about what he feels comfortable doing that would be considered "girly". I would never touch a zumba class. But yoga, definitely. Tai Chi definitely. Bicycling class definitely sounds up his alley, and it helps build muscle.
Frack1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #8
chupachan

Here's something to consider:
At the gym where I'm a member: group exercise classes are female dominated
At the gym where I'm an instructor: group exercise classes are usually male dominated (Zumba is about 50/50)

Whether or not you like group exercise probably has less to do with the exercise and more to do with your willingness to exercise in a group setting. Some people feel that they are "on display" or just feel like they don't have enough personal space, whereas other people are encouraged by working out with others and find the atmosphere motivating.

In the end, it's your brother who's taking something away from this, and it's up to him what he will let stand in his way. If he's not ready for group exercise, that's ok, but let him know that the only person judging how "manly" his workout is...is him. And for what it's worth, every time someone new shows up to a group exercise class, it makes the instructor very happy
chupachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2016, 04:13 PM   #9
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

PICK UP HEAVY ROCK

GRUNT LOUD

THROW HEAVY ROCK

gruuuuhhhhhhhh

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2016, 12:11 PM   #10
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
PICK UP HEAVY ROCK

GRUNT LOUD

THROW HEAVY ROCK

gruuuuhhhhhhhh
gggrruuuAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, England, Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo, Prussia, Shintaro Midorima, Aragorn
Dudes I will be eventually: Guts, Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote