Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 05-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
MissAmazinGreys

How to have energy after a long day at work?

Hey everyone. So I was just reading all these posts about everyones exercises and amazing will power, but I work with kids all day for a living and by the time I get home I'm worn out! Do you guys have any tips that help you with energy/motivation after a hard days work? Any advice would be so super appreciated! C:
Next Cosplay:
Kaito Shion
Next Con: Anime Midwest
MissAmazinGreys is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Bovice

Can always try to get the workout in before work.

All my gym days, the gym is the first thing I do.

Cardio days though I tend to do at night
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
ShaylaTheRoo
Animal Husbandry Expert

I work in IT, sitting all day, and that always makes me really exhausted by the end of the day. Not physically, but stress and anxiety causing a lot of muscle tension and things like that. I gained about 20-30 pounds after starting desk work, and it was all just making me tired. When I found out about the weight gain (we don't keep a scale in the house, but I'll use one if I see it in other people's houses, ha ha)... well, I was really disgusted with myself, and realized that I needed to make a change before things got any worse.

Basically, I started off with changing up my diet, and making sure I ate plenty of healthy foods that I like. No need trying to force yourself to eat things you hate in the name of health, just start with what you like and be open to trying new things, or making foods you like healthier by adding more veggies and such. (I eat a huge fruit salad at work every day, for example.) Cutting out soda was also a great help.

Once I started feeling better just from eating better, that gave me more energy for working out. I joined a gym, and I try to go three times a week, even if I really just don't feel up to it. It helped that exercise made me giddy with endorphins for the first two weeks, and that helped to enforce it as a habit for me.

Generally, once you take care of the initial hurdle, it just gets easier. I used to have a lot of muscle pain from work stress, especially in my back, but now I find I feel pretty good, and only feel the stress pains when I (for one reason or another) skip a day.

Last week I'd skipped because my boyfriend's summer class let out late and I'd waited up for him to go, and by the time he came home it was a bit too late to get over there and back by a reasonable hour; I'm still paying for the missed days with back pain.

Also, it really helps to be getting reasonable sleep to begin with. People vary for their ideal sleep from day to day, but my usual is around 7 hours unless I had trouble the night before or something. Exercise will help a LOT with that, as well.

You just need to find that inital motivation to make yourself get started, after that, the benefits of exercise tend to make it pretty easy, ha ha.

::WV Pop Culture Con::
-Poison Ivy (Saturday)-
-Lady!Joker (Sunday)-

Read my nerdy rambles!
shaylatheroo.com
ShaylaTheRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
Bovice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5xXsdWRaFw
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
MissAmazinGreys

Wow! Thank you guys for the tips! Quite useful! I will definitely put these thongs into practice.
And Bovice, thanks for the awesome video. That guy is amazing!
Next Cosplay:
Kaito Shion
Next Con: Anime Midwest
MissAmazinGreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
Ilafatyu
That guy

If I've had a long day at work, I take a short nap when I get home, maybe 10-20 minutes. Then I'm good to go. If that doesn't work, I get myself psyched up with a brisk walk, or with music, or whatever the thing of the day is. Sometimes it's just 'oh boy oh boy imma go stand on my hands now', I can never tell.

But yeah. Sleep well the night before, eat some orange segments before you go, and have at it. Sometimes you have to just do it even if you don't want to. Once you get started, it's not so hard to keep going.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Utatane Piko - default (Vocaloid) - 90%
Connie (Shingeki no Kyojin) - 0%
Sheik (OoT/SSBB) - 53%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
rndmguy

For the past couple of months I've been working two jobs, one of them with kids and the other is pretty active with me loading heavy stuff and so on. Despite the issue with time, I would just do my workouts before I went to work.

For the most part it's pretty much sheer will power though. I enjoy going to the gym so I've been willing to sacrifice other things to do it.

Around NE OH or NW PA? I'd love to take photos of your cosplay.
rndmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
StarBlaze73

I also work in IT, so I'm sitting on my butt the whole day. The thing that works for me is going to the gym RIGHT after work. If I go home, I sit on my couch and don't want to get up anymore lol.

I love group exercise classes (like Zumba. I'm also a licensed Zumba instructor, so I have my own classes to teach!). I go to work from 8:30-5, and the classes at my Y start at 5:30. There are some classes that start later, like at 7:40, and those are the hardest days because I go home first.

Good luck!
StarBlaze73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
LadyCrankypants
Lady of House Crankypants

I'm with StarBlaze, if I sit down, I'm done. I pretty well work out as SOON as I get home (my living room is my gym), and although I feel tired and sluggish, once I get started, I'm good to go. I still have bad days (especially when running) when I just don't feel like it, but do the best you can do, and know that if you stick to it, you'll get better in time!

Moxxi - 95% done, some re-work necessary.
Dr Zed - 100% done!
Robin the Teen Wonder - 100% done!
Gaige - 75% done

My Blog (complete with new blog smell and tutorials!) - The Crankypants Chronicles | Facebook Page | deviantArt
LadyCrankypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
pella_rose
Eito Rainbow Flash!

My job is also pretty active, so I would usually run out of energy when I got home (have dinner, and laze infront of the TV until it was time to go to bed)

But it's been a little over a month now that I have joined a gym (with follow up by a personal trainer and dietitian). And I found that, If i got to the gym straight from work, I don't even stop at home, it is easier to work out after a long day. Because I don't have time to sit down and start relaxing and once I'm at the gym, I got no excuse to not work out (and trust me, I HATE working out). Also, according to my dietitian, if you eat something high in glucides and proteins before the work out (usually 1hr to 30 minutes before), it will give you that boost of energy that you need for the workout (and eat another one right after the work out, to help your muscles rebuilt from all that exercise).

The reason why glucides, it's because it is the first source your body will use up in order to get energy. So eat something like a fruit with a little bit of yogurt or have a glass of chocolate milk after.

So far I have been doing that each time I got to the gym (which I went from not going at all to 4 times a week), I have enough energy to do a proper 1h and 15 minutes workout (mix of weights, cardio and flexibility circuit), then I get home, shower, eat dinner and have an amazing night of sleep.

Having a good sleep will also help you recuperate more, thus having more energy during the day, and feeling less tired at the end of it.

I've only been doing this for a month and so and already I see a big difference in my energy (went from having to take a nap during my lunch hour, to being full of energy all day)

Good luck

EDIT: oh and I may need to add, I am probably the most out of shape person too. I was in an accident 15 years ago, which left me in a wheel chair for a year, gained over 100lbs and have been struggling with my weight since, also I haven't been doing anything active since then. But as I'm getting close to my 30's, I decided it was time to take charge of my life and do something about it before medical problems starts. My goal right now, is not to loose weight, but to just be able to show up at the gym 4 times a week lol So far so good!
Swift Wind // She-ra Princess of Power Comic Con Ottawa 2014 (for a friend)
Duffman // the Simpson Halloween 2013
Poison Ivy //Batman Comic Con Montreal 2013

Last edited by pella_rose : 05-30-2013 at 10:50 AM.
pella_rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 01:34 AM   #11
Jacecam32

I understand I work in the trades. after an 8-10 hour day its hard. I'm gonna try keeping a gym bag in the vehicle so I can go to the gym right after work rather then going home. Cause when I get home I often take a 2 hour "nap". With my body already sore from work alone the motivation just isn't there.
Jacecam32 is offline   Reply With Quote