Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-23-2010, 02:20 AM   #16
JassaxRae

Super helpful. Thanks for the links!
JassaxRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #17
mythee

That is an excellent site! Thank you, I've bookmarked it!

Active Cosplays
Shiny Bulbasaur Gijinka (Pokemon), AN10/11/12
Cosmic Owl (Adventure Time), AN13

Future Cosplays
Issun (Okami)?
Greed-Ling (FMA)?
mythee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 11:58 PM   #18
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

THIS

http://www.nationalguard.com/life/fitness

i am not advocating joining the military or anything, but when it comes to fitness they know what they are talking about. if this is supposed to get you ready for basic training then it's more than enough for daily fitness

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:34 PM   #19
zssfanxxx
I LOVE RAYMAN

Thank you for this thread~ <3 it helps alot!
zssfanxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #20
Greedy Greed
& Midvalley the Hornfreak

I love that this thread exists!

I don't know what defines "equipment" but I highly recommend free weights to girls and boys. Stimulating the muscles through lifting helps you burn calories all day-- whereas certain cardio activities like running only burn off empty calories from food. Sometimes you can end up burning up proteins which is the last thing you want.

Like I said, it's good for boys and girls just to go online and look up a few exercises with free weights. Chances are there's a set lying around somewhere in your house from a family member.

http://madmencastingcall.amctv.com/browse/detail/NLR75Z

Voting goes till September 17, 2011. So I need your help!

Cosplays: Greed, Kintaro Oe, Midvalley the Hornfreak, L, and Yagami Raito.
Greedy Greed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #21
dragonsplash

If you're really really short on cash (like I tend to be...all the time), I was talking to my mom about a month ago and she told me about these workout shows that used to be shown on tv when she was around my age. They were aimed toward housewives that wanted to keep slim. So, for things like weights, they recommended using a large can of beans or things like that.

So, even if you can't afford equipment like weights and yoga balls or anything like that (I know I can't...), there are tons of ways you can use your surroundings to get a workout. =]

(If anyone is actually familiar with these shows and/or can find a resource for it, that'd be awesome, 'cause I'd love to see these and haven't found 'em yet.)
dragonsplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #22
Mistes
Crystalstarrlight

For those who weight a good weight but are just plain unathletic, I've been doing curl ups and push ups in increments. Also the many stretches I learned in Physical Education class for warm ups help muscles keep elasticity

I started with 20 curl ups one night and made a routine where i'd have to do curl ups before I sleep or I would not (and eventually could not) sleep. The numbers slowly crept up as I got used to doing curl ups and now the numbers dwells somewhere around 130 curl ups per night. I tend to not work out much, and when I do need to get into shape I find myself without time (probably because I waste a lot of it frivolously). Curl ups take around 3 minutes to complete depending of how lazy I am to keep up the speed and the rest of it takes about 5 minutes max.

So in about 10 minutes daily I'm getting a decent work out that has built my abdominal regions, general flexibility ( im not a gymnast, but not an old man either)~

then again I should work on endurance which will some come as I learn time management
Mistes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 06:19 AM   #23
saiyamanmasenko
yaFWOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Not sure if anybody out there was as clueless as I was, but youtube has some fitness stuff under it's Shows section. http://www.youtube.com/shows/health_fitness
Some people may be able to find some useful exercises/tips.
saiyamanmasenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #24
Sisshi
Sexy Leg Woman

No more than $60 for running shoes? That's the cheapest my brother spends on his shoes. If you're running you want good quality running shoes otherwise you risk shin splints (which are NOT fun, and you can get them by walking in the wrong shoes too) messing up your knees, ankles, hips, back. My brother ran cross country for six years and had to buy a new pair of shoes every six months and they cost about $100 a wack. I'm just putting that up as a warning, good quality is not cheap so don't be fooled into thinking the shoes won't hurt you in the end.

As for ways to save money and still stay fit. My mom and I use soup cans instead of weights, just a simple thing of tomato soup (or whatever kind you like to eat) and do normal lifts. When you travel, if it's close enough walk instead or ride a bike, I lost 10 pounds over one summer by riding my bike to the library by me and back every couple days.
Animarathon: White Mage (Final Fantasy)
GarasuNoShiCon: Aranea (Homestuck)

My binding results with the Underworks compression shirt, Check it out ^^
Sisshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #25
cachalot
Blue Mage

I just wanted to say thanks to Kasinator for posting the links to the plyometrics blog with Zuzana. I'm currently carless for about a month so I can't make it to the gym regularly, and it's too hot for me to run outside (my running season is October - April usually, during the summer and early fall I go to the gym) so I was really worried about my workout routine. But I do want to say that Zuzana's workouts and exercise tips have kept me on track. The workouts are intense and only take about 20 minutes a day too, which is great.

Photography: http://www.seventhmoon.org/photography
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gerodere
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gertysk
cachalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #26
distantarray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisshi View Post
No more than $60 for running shoes? That's the cheapest my brother spends on his shoes. If you're running you want good quality running shoes otherwise you risk shin splints
Like to add no matter how much you spend on running shoes shin splints stilll happens to a lot of people, and even the best marathon runners don't run as often as you'd think. Most use machines to train their heart and muscles for a marathon than actually running itself.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #27
rosecleer
~Perfect Love and Trust~

My god...thank you so much for this! I've been looking for something like this forever!!!

SacAnime:
*Sailor Saturn: Commissioner Hired!
*Vocaloid Kaito: WIP 30%
*TBA

AniMegaCon:

*Magnet Kaito: WIP 40%
*Drow Female?
*Princess Garnet (Dagger): WIP 10%

AnimeVegas:
*Vocaloid Kaito: WIP 30%
*Botan (Yu Yu Hakusho) - DONE
*Saria (Legend of Zelda; OoT) - WIP 5%
rosecleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #28
Akaem

thank you, this was really helpful!
hopefully I can slim down some before May's expo now!
Akaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #29
Alvulious

Indeed thanks for this thread!
Alvulious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #30
Finesse
Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisshi View Post
No more than $60 for running shoes? That's the cheapest my brother spends on his shoes. If you're running you want good quality running shoes otherwise you risk shin splints (which are NOT fun, and you can get them by walking in the wrong shoes too) messing up your knees, ankles, hips, back. My brother ran cross country for six years and had to buy a new pair of shoes every six months and they cost about $100 a wack. I'm just putting that up as a warning, good quality is not cheap so don't be fooled into thinking the shoes won't hurt you in the end.

As for ways to save money and still stay fit. My mom and I use soup cans instead of weights, just a simple thing of tomato soup (or whatever kind you like to eat) and do normal lifts. When you travel, if it's close enough walk instead or ride a bike, I lost 10 pounds over one summer by riding my bike to the library by me and back every couple days.
I second this. I've been running for six years, and I have gone through (and seen others endure) many an injury brought about by bad or overused shoes, including but not limited to: Achilles tendinitis, a severe groin pull, and several stress fractures. It's really a matter of finding the shoe that fits you right.

Most people like to stick to a specific brand like Mizuno, Saucony, Asics, etc. because as far as fit goes, it's usually pretty standard across the line of a brand (e.g. if the Mizunos you bought in January fit nicely, chances are you can fit into any Mizunos nicely). When you go shoe shopping, I'd personally advise you to stay away from big brands like Nike and Adidas, only because they make a lot of different shoes for a lot of different sports, and to someone who doesn't know what he/she's looking for, they might all look pretty similar, and you do NOT want to run in shoes that ain't meant for running. (Also, it was a Nike coach that let my friend sample the shoes that put him out of running for a year with a recurring groin issue, so I do have a bit of a vendetta.) To supplement Kasinator's awesome advice, stay away from gimmicks, and don't kid yourself. Unless you're used to running barefoot, Vibram fivefingers aren't going to make you a ninja warrior. They're going to make you hurt your feet, your legs, and possibly the rest of you if you roll an ankle.

As for price, it depends completely on where you live. I'm a New Yorker myself, so shoes here can range from $80 to $150 (more expensive does NOT equal better), but I've visited other places in the country and seen the same shoes for half. You have to be vigilant, ask for sales, discounts, anything that can help drive that price down. My pal in Connecticut joined a running club just so he could get a 25% discount on his shoes, and it worked! Alternatively, if you're shy, go with a sassy frugal person who haggles.

Disclaimer: I'm a primarily distance runner, I'm 18, and EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT. I actually know professional runners who use and rave about fivefingers, so if you honestly think something minimalistic will help you, I won't deprecate it. Just don't get hurt.
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote